Why all the negativity lately?

laurieb

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I agree being able to travel is a gift and it’s a gift of my savings I’d have liked to give to Azamara

As an active Cruise Critic member, I looked on the Azamara board before we booked our first cruise with this company a few years ago.  On each cruise line board, certain names recur, and that was true here.  CC members like yourself, uktog, along with others such as nordski, takemewithyou and excitedofharpenden, have actively provided helpful and useful information and guidance to other cruisers over the few years I've been paying attention.  Your observations, reports and concerns are taken seriously.  If I read you correctly, you think some of the problems that are being reported are not just temporary and localized, but symptomatic of deeper, broader  issues.  You have written you want to get the attention of those in positions to enact corrective measures.  While there is still time.  To that end, I hope you are successful.

My wife and I have skin in this game, we have deposits on future cruises with Azamara and two other cruise lines.  Because our March cruise on the Quest was so enjoyable, we booked a Panama Canal cruise next year.    A twice extended final payment dead line is fast approaching for an Azamara cruise itinerary that had to be extensively modified because the original was to the Black Sea.  The news from Ukraine is discouraging, some days it is dire.  Not surprisingly, our CC Roll Call for that cruise is moribund.  That region of the world feels even less secure that usual.   So, one thinks, we need to explore other travel options.  Yet, when I explore these options, land based included, I see reviews and discussions not unlike the topics addressed on this board.  I see frustration, confusion, displeasure.  Inflation is aggravating the whole travel industry.  I heard a man curse out loud in the grocery store last night when he saw the price of a dozen eggs.  I wonder what that man would say if he saw the price tag for one week's worth of eggs on the Royal Caribbean Wonder of the Seas?!

Yet.  I also see reviews that are very positive.  Some travelers are reporting good cruises, enjoyable resort stays, memorable outdoor adverntures.  I and we want to ocean cruise again.  I would like to cruise again with Azamara, if possible.

• Like 7

Azamara are not the only travel company that are difficult to talk to. We are flying to Greece in a June with Jet2 and I need to talk to them to organise support in the airport for my husband. So far I have rung them on 3 different days, at different times, holding on for up to 2 hours each time and have yet to get to speak to anyone. I can’t really book support online as I need to find out more about the options available - he is mobile, but can’t stand for any length of time, having had emergency spinal surgery last year. We are concerned about the potential wait to get through security (can be up to 3 hours in Manchester airport at present).

39 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Azamara are not the only travel company that are difficult to talk to. We are flying to Greece in a June with Jet2 and I need to talk to them to organise support in the airport for my husband. So far I have rung them on 3 different days, at different times, holding on for up to 2 hours each time and have yet to get to speak to anyone. I can’t really book support online as I need to find out more about the options available - he is mobile, but can’t stand for any length of time, having had emergency spinal surgery last year. We are concerned about the potential wait to get through security (can be up to 3 hours in Manchester airport at present).

The issue at Manchester has the greatest queues before check in so before Jet2 can give you assistance.  You might get a quicker answer contacting the Airport authorities.  You can also use online chat, something that doesn't work too well with Azamara but I know from using it with Jet2 the other week is really good and may be a good short term move

• Like 3

Negative? Maybe. In a mad rush to get us disembarked after a positive COVID test for my DH, Azamara shunted my husband and me into a cab (DH had tested positive, I was negative) with two complete strangers from our cruise and the man was positive!

AZ allegedly was sending us to a Barcelona hotel for isolation. A hotel that had no record of our arrival. Five days after being in separate hotel room from my husband, I tested positive for COVID. Was it the cab ride? Did I get it from my husband? From the coughing stranger in the cab? I can’t say yes or no, but let’s just say my odds were pretty good in the cab. (To their credit, AZ put us in separate cabins after my DH’s test, but again, likely undone in the cab.)

You could say this has soured me on Azamara. The fact I cannot even get a live guest relations person on the phone is just another slap in my face.

Edited by Harrietq
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Harrietq said:

Negative? Maybe. In a mad rush to get us disembarked after a positive COVID test for my DH, Azamara shunted my husband and me into a cab (DH had tested positive, I was negative) with two complete strangers from our cruise and the man was positive!

AZ allegedly was sending us to a Barcelona hotel for isolation. A hotel that had no record of our arrival. Five days after being in separate hotel room from my husband, I tested positive for COVID. Was it the cab ride? Did I get it from my husband? From the coughing stranger in the cab? I can’t say yes or no, but let’s just say my odds were pretty good in the cab. (To their credit, AZ put us in separate cabins after my DH’s test, but again, likely undone in the cab.)

You could say this has soured me on Azamara. The fact I cannot even get a live guest relations person on the phone is just another slap in my face.

Were you wearing a mask in the cab? Did you not share a cabin with your husband on the ship prior to the positive test? 

1 minute ago, mdpa said:

Were you wearing a mask in the cab? Did you not share a cabin with your husband on the ship prior to the positive test? 

We masked constantly; certainly more than most on board. Yes, we shared a cabin. I am NOT saying I did not get COVID from my husband.

But being shoved into a cab with ANOTHER positive case didn’t improve my chances of staying negative. I feel Azamara acted with indifference, at best. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harrietq said:

We masked constantly; certainly more than most on board. Yes, we shared a cabin. I am NOT saying I did not get COVID from my husband.

But being shoved into a cab with ANOTHER positive case didn’t improve my chances of staying negative. I feel Azamara acted with indifference, at best. 

It does seem to defy logic, after separating your positive husband and negative you on board, that you should then be placed in the confined space of a cab with a positive stranger!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, uktog said:

The issue at Manchester has the greatest queues before check in so before Jet2 can give you assistance.  You might get a quicker answer contacting the Airport authorities.  You can also use online chat, something that doesn't work too well with Azamara but I know from using it with Jet2 the other week is really good and may be a good short term move

Check in is not too much of an issue as we can drop luggage the night before, and there are a few seats in the check in hall, so he can sit while I stand in any queue. Thanks for the tip about online chat, I’ll give it a try, and if that doesn’t work I’ll try the airport ( on their website it says you should organise help through the airline, which is why I haven’t tried that yet). 
Yesterday the biggest queues were for security at Manchester. The queue was so long they took it outside!

Edited by Grandma Cruising

10 hours ago, uktog said:

As someone who used assistance for my parents many times - although not at Manchester - it is actually ground staff at the airport who are responsible for assistance, although often booked through the airline company. There is is usually a point outside of the airport where you would start your assisted journey to the aircraft. 

Uktog's suggestion of online chat is a good one... 

Good luck with your assistance and have a great holiday.

• Like 2

Harrietq, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. It sounds like things were finally sorted out at the Barcelona hotel.  Was Azamara in touch with you at all during your isolation period, or did you fend for yourselves regarding any medical needs, meals or return airfare arrangements?

1 hour ago, SunnyNy said:

Harrietq, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. It sounds like things were finally sorted out at the Barcelona hotel.  Was Azamara in touch with you at all during your isolation period, or did you fend for yourselves regarding any medical needs, meals or return airfare arrangements?

Thank you for your kind wishes. It was a poor mix of us fending, a third-party company hired by Azamara (exceptionally useless) and a brilliant staff at the hotel. For nearly $5,000 USD for a total of 21 nights (I had my own room until I became sick), at least they did their very best to help us. Airfare wasn’t an issue as United was very accommodating because we were traveling on full-fare business. We hope to be reimbursed for meals and hotel by insurance; I had to have a number of doc visits and prescriptions filled (I only planned for 10 days, not 17). I hope we will be reimbursed by my stateside medical insurance. If not, it’s almost another $1K. 

The Quest contacted us three times, but as their medical staff didn’t know what guest relations was doing, and vice versa, they really couldn’t help. Basically, because AZ was depending on the third-party “medical contact” team, Quest/Azamara became just another hour on hold phone call.

Depending on what our insurance coverage is, this could be a very spendy experience. We did our best by taking every reasonable precaution we could. We traveled successfully in October on another carrier with much more stringent protocols. We got burned (and learned) this time.

And, I’ll say it for you all: Yes, we got ourselves into this by traveling in “these times.”

Edited by Harrietq

2 hours ago, Harrietq said:

Thank you for your kind wishes. It was a poor mix of us fending, a third-party company hired by Azamara (exceptionally useless) and a brilliant staff at the hotel. For nearly $5,000 USD for a total of 21 nights (I had my own room until I became sick), at least they did their very best to help us. Airfare wasn’t an issue as United was very accommodating because we were traveling on full-fare business. We hope to be reimbursed for meals and hotel by insurance; I had to have a number of doc visits and prescriptions filled (I only planned for 10 days, not 17). I hope we will be reimbursed by my stateside medical insurance. If not, it’s almost another $1K. 

The Quest contacted us three times, but as their medical staff didn’t know what guest relations was doing, and vice versa, they really couldn’t help. Basically, because AZ was depending on the third-party “medical contact” team, Quest/Azamara became just another hour on hold phone call.

Depending on what our insurance coverage is, this could be a very spendy experience. We did our best by taking every reasonable precaution we could. We traveled successfully in October on another carrier with much more stringent protocols. We got burned (and learned) this time.

And, I’ll say it for you all: Yes, we got ourselves into this by traveling in “these times.”

I am sorry to hear about you and your husband getting COVID in a foreign country. I hope you both recover well. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have cruised last year three times and I had the feeling that although difficult, we could protect ourselves better. Tests were enforced, mask wearing and social distance also. We thought that we were going to come back to pre covid times because of the vaccines but unfortunately this is not the case. Too many unvaccinated people, resistance to mask wearing and other measures, and the surge of the highly contagious Omicron increase the risk of getting infected. In addition countries have relaxed its policies and probably more asymptomatic people are traveling. I became aware that instead of relaxing I have to be more careful. 
Today my husband and me went for an antigen test because we were receiving the visit of very good friends of us. One of this friends has a compromised inmune system due to a cancer. We did not want to pass any virus on him. We all tested before our get together and we were all negative. It was a nice get together comparable to pre covid times. This is also a way of living with COVID. For us living with COVID does not necessarily mean to do as if it does not exist anymore, but to take it into account and do whatever is appropriate to keep healthy. We do this for us and for others.

Ivi

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Kitekat said:

As someone who used assistance for my parents many times - although not at Manchester - it is actually ground staff at the airport who are responsible for assistance, although often booked through the airline company. There is is usually a point outside of the airport where you would start your assisted journey to the aircraft. 

Uktog's suggestion of online chat is a good one... 

Good luck with your assistance and have a great holiday.

You’re right it is the airport that provides the assistance, but on their website Manchester airport make it clear you have to request it through the airline.

Unfortunately Jet2’s live chat is no longer available, so I can’t use that route. Tried phoning again today and hung on for over 3 hours before the line just went dead! Oh well, I guess I will just have to keep trying!

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

You’re right it is the airport that provides the assistance, but on their website Manchester airport make it clear you have to request it through the airline.

Unfortunately Jet2’s live chat is no longer available, so I can’t use that route. Tried phoning again today and hung on for over 3 hours before the line just went dead! Oh well, I guess I will just have to keep trying!

That is really frustrating! Just a thought - have you tried accessing your booking online. I believe that you can request assistance with easyJet that way... The main check is whether you can manage stairs, if you are not at a gate, you will be taken outside in a buggy and a hoist raised to deck level where they will use either a wheel chair or you can walk aboard the plane, else it's a buggy to the gate and a wheelchair to the entrance.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I am sorry to hear about you and your husband getting COVID in a foreign country. I hope you both recover well. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have cruised last year three times and I had the feeling that although difficult, we could protect ourselves better. Tests were enforced, mask wearing and social distance also. We thought that we were going to come back to pre covid times because of the vaccines but unfortunately this is not the case. Too many unvaccinated people, resistance to mask wearing and other measures, and the surge of the highly contagious Omicron increase the risk of getting infected. In addition countries have relaxed its policies and probably more asymptomatic people are traveling. I became aware that instead of relaxing I have to be more careful. 
Today my husband and me went for an antigen test because we were receiving the visit of very good friends of us. One of this friends has a compromised inmune system due to a cancer. We did not want to pass any virus on him. We all tested before our get together and we were all negative. It was a nice get together comparable to pre covid times. This is also a way of living with COVID. For us living with COVID does not necessarily mean to do as if it does not exist anymore, but to take it into account and do whatever is appropriate to keep healthy. We do this for us and for others.

Ivi

Ivi, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say. How beautifully and sensitively written.

We reminded ourselves during the ordeal that we were so grateful that we didn’t get very sick, we had nice lodgings in which to ride out the infection, and we were able to return home which is in a safe, peaceful area. We shared our hotel with some Ukrainian refugees who told us many personal, heartbreaking stories. It truly brought what we thought was so terrible into sharp focus as more of a passing cloud. 

I know we all look forward to the day when we can see COVID as a manageable nuisance rather than a danger, 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kitekat said:

That is really frustrating! Just a thought - have you tried accessing your booking online. I believe that you can request assistance with easyJet that way... The main check is whether you can manage stairs, if you are not at a gate, you will be taken outside in a buggy and a hoist raised to deck level where they will use either a wheel chair or you can walk aboard the plane, else it's a buggy to the gate and a wheelchair to the entrance.

Good luck!

Yes, I tried through ‘Manage my Booking’ but when you click on ‘Request’ next to ‘Assistance’ it just takes you to a page telling you to ring up. My husband doesn’t need the hoist, just to be able to sit whist in a queue and possibly help to get to the gate if it’s a long way from the lounge.

Edited by Grandma Cruising

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, I tried through ‘Manage my Booking’ but when you click on ‘Request’ next to ‘Assistance’ it just takes you to a page telling you to ring up. My husband doesn’t need the hoist, just to be able to sit whist in a queue and possibly help to get to the gate if it’s a long way from the lounge.

According to Manchester airport  "If you are unable to book your assistance prior to 48 hours before your travel, we will still be able to assist you. On your arrival, please report to the Special Assistance reception points, located in the check-in halls." 

Although, if standing is an issue then "Alternatively if you need assistance from your vehicle or public transport there are assistance call points in these locations and a member of the team will be happy to come and assist you." 

I would go for it and look for the assistance points... our experience of Gatwick suggested that once in a wheelchair, my Dad was treated as a VIP and went to the head of the queues and was transported to the special waiting area very quickly.

More luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harrietq said:

Ivi, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say. How beautifully and sensitively written.

We reminded ourselves during the ordeal that we were so grateful that we didn’t get very sick, we had nice lodgings in which to ride out the infection, and we were able to return home which is in a safe, peaceful area. We shared our hotel with some Ukrainian refugees who told us many personal, heartbreaking stories. It truly brought what we thought was so terrible into sharp focus as more of a passing cloud. 

I know we all look forward to the day when we can see COVID as a manageable nuisance rather than a danger, 

Well said, Harrietq.  That certainly puts it in perspective.  It sounds like you were able to leave your room to meet the other hotel guests and that you had a pleasant room.  What was "daily life" like for you?  Did you rely on room service or able to order take-out?  Any opportunity for fresh air?  I assume you had wifi and English language tv (not that that is always a perk!).  These days, the motto "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" certainly applies - taking more than enough meds, cash, etc. just in the event. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Harrietq said:

We hope to be reimbursed for meals and hotel by insurance; I had to have a number of doc visits and prescriptions filled (I only planned for 10 days, not 17). I hope we will be reimbursed by my stateside medical insurance. If not, it’s almost another $1K. 

I appreciate that you took the time to share your travel experience, and the lingering aggravations you are dealing with post-travel.  Your cruise did not go as planned, as dreamed about, and instead you were stuck with multiple, ongoing challenges. 

As we consider another foray into international travel this year, yours is a cautionary tale which teaches that sometimes, life goes badly awry.  Harrietq, you shared an important perspective with us.

• Like 4

We were on a Ryanair flight from Stansted yesterday.  The Assistance staff were run ragged, working 10/12 hour shifts and clocking up 35,000 steps per day.  At 15.00 they had processed 400 passengers.  At one point one of the staff was being asked to be in two places at one time, and I heard the comment that somebody would be missing their flight.  There were 14 assisted passengers on our flight.  Increased demand, shortage of staff, it was rather chaotic.  Arrival at Alicante was a similar experience.  Not enough staff, but the ones who were trying to do their job were trying so hard!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kitekat said:

According to Manchester airport  "If you are unable to book your assistance prior to 48 hours before your travel, we will still be able to assist you. On your arrival, please report to the Special Assistance reception points, located in the check-in halls." 

Although, if standing is an issue then "Alternatively if you need assistance from your vehicle or public transport there are assistance call points in these locations and a member of the team will be happy to come and assist you." 

I would go for it and look for the assistance points... our experience of Gatwick suggested that once in a wheelchair, my Dad was treated as a VIP and went to the head of the queues and was transported to the special waiting area very quickly.

More luck!

If all else fails, then that is what we will do, however I would prefer to get it sorted out beforehand if at all possible. I guess I’ll just have to keep trying!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

Well said, Harrietq.  That certainly puts it in perspective.  It sounds like you were able to leave your room to meet the other hotel guests and that you had a pleasant room.  What was "daily life" like for you?  Did you rely on room service or able to order take-out?  Any opportunity for fresh air?  I assume you had wifi and English language tv (not that that is always a perk!).  These days, the motto "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" certainly applies - taking more than enough meds, cash, etc. just in the event. 

Our rooms were very pleasant. We had a zillion channels in nine different source programming/languages. I spent most of my tv time fascinated by Arabic/Dubai programming I normally do not see, in addition to brushing clots of rust off some European languages I used to know better! Daily life also consisted of a LOT of time on the phone trying to get the correct (or the closest semblance of) information.

Spain (at the time) did not have a quarantine/isolation requirement. However, during the most communicable portion of our case, we self-isolated. When my husband was first sick, we only met outside. Once we were each past six days after diagnosis and symptoms, we followed CDC guidelines that allow health-care providers to return to work. We returned to going out in public, masked everywhere even though Spain only requires masking in medical facilities and public transport. Our rooms did not have opening windows but the air remained fresh with an effective yet not annoying fan system. Our wi-fi was good, the TV allowed you to enable any streaming service you might have (we are the last people on earth who don’t stream tv 😆). 
The hotel had one restaurant with a good basic room service menu that wasn’t cheap, but a decent value in that we could share an entree and each have more than enough to eat. Breakfast was an expense-account blowing €28 each. Cold cereal , pastries and fruit did us just fine. We were within a 15 minute walk of lots of good restaurants, both chain and local. By the last days, after my husband had returned home, I existed on cold groceries and things I could make with my kettle’s hot water as I had been eating cruise then restaurant food and I had had enough.

Our COVID experience was far from the worst, but the disruption to our everyday life with a 25 day “vacation” for DH (2 week cruise then COVID) and a 32 day for me was substantial and one I don’t need to repeat. A great deal of our “good”experience was due to our own resilience and persistence in finding out our own answers, and questioning everything we heard (and read, come to that). And, as my long-ago original post opined, I’m truly disappointed in Azamara’s lack of concern about their handling of the situation at the time and now, in the aftermath.

Edited by Harrietq
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harrietq said:

Our rooms were very pleasant. We had a zillion channels in nine different source programming/languages. I spent most of my tv time fascinated by Arabic/Dubai programming I normally do not see, in addition to brushing clots of rust off some European languages I used to know better! Daily life also consisted of a LOT of time on the phone trying to get the correct (or the closest semblance of) information.

Spain (at the time) did not have a quarantine/isolation requirement. However, during the most communicable portion of our case, we self-isolated. When my husband was first sick, we only met outside. Once we were each past six days after diagnosis and symptoms, we followed CDC guidelines that allow health-care providers to return to work. We returned to going out in public, masked everywhere even though Spain only requires masking in medical facilities and public transport. Our rooms did not have opening windows but the air remained fresh with an effective yet not annoying fan system. Our wi-fi was good, the TV allowed you to enable any streaming service you might have (we are the last people on earth who don’t stream tv 😆). 
The hotel had one restaurant with a good basic room service menu that wasn’t cheap, but a decent value in that we could share an entree and each have more than enough to eat. Breakfast was an expense-account blowing €28 each. Cold cereal , pastries and fruit did us just fine. We were within a 15 minute walk of lots of good restaurants, both chain and local. By the last days, after my husband had returned home, I existed on cold groceries and things I could make with my kettle’s hot water as I had been eating cruise then restaurant food and I had had enough.

Our COVID experience was far from the worst, but the disruption to our everyday life with a 25 day “vacation” for DH (2 week cruise then COVID) and a 32 day for me was substantial and one I don’t need to repeat. A great deal of our “good”experience was due to our own resilience and persistence in finding out our own answers, and questioning everything we heard (and read, come to that). And, as my long-ago original post opined, I’m truly disappointed in Azamara’s lack of concern about their handling of the situation at the time and now, in the aftermath.

Your detailed information has been so helpful to me  - this would make an excellent travel article for those wondering what awaits them if they choose to travel now.

I assume if one is asymptomatic, and if they get a negative test early on, they can return home before 10 days and I will bring some monitored self-test kits in hopes of that.  In your case, did you receive a Letter of Recovery from a local doctor?  I read in a NY Times article of an online site, Quick.med, that provides them after a virtual visit for I think $75.00

This is all Information I had hoped Azamara would provide to passengers being taken off the ship for isolation, if only in written form to take with them.  I realizes much depends on local covid rules and the country one is returning to, but something more than putting you in a taxi (with others, no less) to a hotel that wasn't expecting you is essentially doing nothing.  

I was told several months ago by Azamara that they  had a "care team" at each port to assist covid passengers, which I imagined would involve follow up calls, or ways to contact them.  Either they have disbanded, or they have a very narrow definition of care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

Your detailed information has been so helpful to me  - this would make an excellent travel article for those wondering what awaits them if they choose to travel now.

I assume if one is asymptomatic, and if they get a negative test early on, they can return home before 10 days and I will bring some monitored self-test kits in hopes of that.  In your case, did you receive a Letter of Recovery from a local doctor?  I read in a NY Times article of an online site, Quick.med, that provides them after a virtual visit for I think $75.00

This is all Information I had hoped Azamara would provide to passengers being taken off the ship for isolation, if only in written form to take with them.  I realizes much depends on local covid rules and the country one is returning to, but something more than putting you in a taxi (with others, no less) to a hotel that wasn't expecting you is essentially doing nothing.  

I was told several months ago by Azamara that they  had a "care team" at each port to assist covid passengers, which I imagined would involve follow up calls, or ways to contact them.  Either they have disbanded, or they have a very narrow definition of care.

Azamara contracted with a company who provided a translator to us. She was a very kind person who was a skilled translator, but had no medical training. Her access to the company (I’m declining to name them for reasons attached to our specific circumstances) was not very quick and communication quickly became garbled untimely and ungainly. We had no contact with any local medical care that we did not locate ourselves.

Again, I cannot disclose the extent of our opinions and facts about this company due to our particular situation. Azamara, so far, has chosen not to return our calls to either Azamara agents or RCCL guest relations (allegedly still handling customer care since the sale of Azamara). All I can say is Azamara is, at least, being ripped off by this company. At most, AZ is complicit with a company that is issuing inadequate to virtually illegal COVID documents. But I cannot confirm that as Azamara chooses not to talk with me regarding the third-party situation. Sigh.

I’m glad our experience is helpful to others. If we never get any apology from Azamara (seems likely we won’t), at least we can give others some food for thought. Happy, safe travels!

Edited by Harrietq
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2