Why all the negativity lately?

laurieb

I agree, seems like everything is starting to come back if the price the hotels are starting to charge is an indication. I also so flights are now back to 2019 levels. There is always going to be some adjustments as things start to fill up. The current booked cruises are probably the best deal we are going to get in the near future.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Seems to be that lots of people are very negative lately.  Why is that?  Every cruise line is having issues 

I can only go on the comments made by guests who have just returned from a cruise which they've found to be less than satisfactory, from a provisions perspective and staff levels. The "why is that" isn't something I can answer.

Not sure that's true all cruse lines are having the same issues. The 5 cruises I've been on since we opened back up, never had any of the issues described. That info coupled with the late changes and awful flight allocations and policies regarding flights, have really given my some "with hindsight" moments and question if it was a good idea to make the booking.

• Like 4

I believe most, if not all cruiselines are having problems right now……many different types of problems.

We just returned from a Viking cruise that was our worst cruise ever!  The Viking folks will tell you it was highly unusual.  Well, it was ”unusual” enough that we won’t return.  We cruised on Quest in mid Dec and it was very good (our return to cruising post Covid), especially when  compared to Viking.

As I said on another thread, I have  been reading Regent  recently because an acquaintance will be sailing them soon, for the first time.  They have had service issues, similar to what we experienced on Viking!  

I am currently monitoring the Celebrity board because we have a cruise with them in Sept.  Right now, it’s all about Covid over there…..lots of passengers and crew testing positive right now.  

I personally think Azamara’s issues are minimal to what I have been reading elsewhere.  

• Like 4

The Silversea forum sounds very similar to this one:  back office problems, on board issues, cancelled cruises, changing Covid policies.  As a retired manager, I can sympathize:  all cruise lines are playing 'whack-a-mole' and every decision they make is criticized by some.

• Like 7

I can relate. With so many things in the world around me changing the way to make me feel uncomfortable, the last thing I want is to find out the same happened on my favorite cruise ship, and missing beverage brand could easily be the last straw. Luckily, this is gonna be my first AZ cruise, so glass half full so far)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The Silversea forum sounds very similar to this one:  back office problems, on board issues, cancelled cruises, changing Covid policies.  As a retired manager, I can sympathize:  all cruise lines are playing 'whack-a-mole' and every decision they make is criticized by some.

I didn't recall any complaints that food and drink was not available and ships are understaffed. (Which is what I referred to and seen negative comments over on here.)

What changing COVID policies do you refer? The only thing I can think is mask wearing compulsory inside or restriction removed. Country changes are outside of anyone's control and noone should level any blame or criticism when that happens. (As frustrating as that is!)

My recent brush with COVID on Silver Moon, made me appreciate just how good they were. There were some problems at the start of quarantine, which they quickly corrected. The fair refund, cruise extension without cost, rearranged flights from different airports and different countries were handled professionally. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, we were treated like royalty and nothing was too much trouble. I posted enough photos to prove that was the case.

I'd criticise them for locking someone away for the full 10 days, even though they tested negative after 4 days, but that's another issue and probably at the time maritime law.

Food and drink shortages and lack of staff however, the buck stops with the cruise line.

• Like 3

I think if the cruise line wasnt pushing the "everything is wonderful and perfect line" which they are on social media in communications, people would be less "unhappy" but to have seen things go backwards from how it was in September which was also post covid does give serious concerns.  There is also absolutely no excuse for conflicting communications leaving guests not knowing what is happening (and therefore adding to their call volumes/call wait times) and fearing they will make a mistake that will jeopardise their much wanted holiday

• Like 7

I also think that when regular cruisers who go on inaugural sailings, so well versed in the challenges of them, are saying "the ship should not have sailed" it inevitably makes people negative.  Sometimes there are those negative times, seen them before with Azamara when they hit a rocky patch under Larry Pimentil but he pulled it back to the amazing onboard experience we grew to love.  Now is the time to look at Azamara with clear glasses and understand where they are currently not the line they used to be, but it will be a mark of the new leadership how they deal with things in the next three to six months.  

We have another Azamara cruise in July, by which time we will also be financially committed to our September cruises but July will be a real crunch point for the cruises booked beyond this Autumn.  Do we keep or do we "dump" 

• Like 4

I am somewhat worried.  I have been on 6 cruises on 4 different lines since the cruising restart.  The experience is not like it was pre Covid and I see everyone continuing to struggle.  I understand that we are still dealing with Covid,  supply chain issues, the economy and airline issues.     It doesn’t matter who’s to blame.  If people feel the experience is not worth the money, challenges and costs continue to go up,  people will not spend the money to go.

I am hoping that all goes well for the passengers, employees,  investors.   And am looking forward to my first Azamara cruise in June with hope !  Time will tell.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, laurieb said:

Seems to be that lots of people are very negative lately.  Why is that?  Every cruise line is having issues 

I have not noticed negative people lately. Negativity would mean people are complaining with no reason, just because they are or want to be negative. What I have notice are people being critical about changes of policies on a short notice, about confusing information in relation to upcoming cruises, about Azamara not clarifying and posting contradictory information on its web page that changes every time you log in. I have noticed stressed people, especially those flying from far away to take their first cruise with Azamara and being disappointed with the pre cruise experience.

What I have also noticed are some posters, who are not really affected by any of the changes and the confusing information but instead of contributing with positive answers are trying to defend whatever is going wrong with the current information or changes of policies from Azamara as if they were acting on Azamaras behalf. 🧐

Much of this confusion would have been avoided /clarified by Bonnie, which was such a great asset to Azamara. Unfortunately she is not there anymore. Azamara maybe is reading this boards and I hope they will be able to identify who is really contributing on their behalf to a good image from Azamara and who, by trying to do the former, is just achieving the opposite creating resistance by not accepting that there are real issues which cruisers are complaining about.

As a long time cruiser with Azamara, I am surprised that this cruiseline has confronted cruisers with a stressful situation pre cruise. I have never experienced this situation pre cruise before with Azamara. Only Management from Azamara knows the reason but I hope they are listening. Azamara, it is not the cruisers or guests the problem because they are negative or want to be negative. It is that you Azamara are having problems communicating adequately and are taking decisions which affect people on a very short notice.

Despite this, I am very much looking forward to my cruise and to meet again those wonderful english speaking guests, crew and officers who make the Azamara experience on board worthwhile. 
Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 13

We had a lovely cruise on Pursuit in April. I think the service was excellent and maybe the best we had from Azamara. In contrast the back office/website information was often out of date and contradictory. It took the shine off looking forward to the cruise. I just feel that they were weak on this issue before covid so can't use that as an excuse. It isn't moaning for the sake of it. We care about the brand and want it to get better. If they listen to constructive feedback it would be a start. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, laurieb said:

Why is that?

I was grocery shopping last night, and was disappointed, and somewhat worried, to see bare areas on the shelves of most aisles.  This was particularly clear when I went to get a specific item, a beverage created and produced here in our home state of North Carolina, a product that has always been available since it's introduction, and there was no diet version.  Not the end of the world, we wait a day or three, and the product will probably be back on the shelf.  My shopping instructions were clear, no substitutes, so I left without the item.  Was it a mere 26 months ago the shelves were always full with product, and the shoppers relatively flush with money to spend?

Service jobs are going unfilled here, and businesses are reducing hours and cutting back services.  As someone with a chronic illness, and having just visited a relative who was in a hospital ICU in a nearby state, one has seen firsthand the reduction in staff that is ongoing and the pressures on the current staff to carry the load in the very important world of medical care.  What if the cruiselines, including Azamara, discovered it was more difficult to hire and retain good staff in the current business climate?  Are the cruise industry leaders and veteran cruise staff frustrated, anxious, even dismayed the situation is so difficult?

Corona-19 can, and does cause lingering after effects in the individuals who got the virus and became ill.  Our societies, our world, is coping with the still lingering aftereffects in a similar way.  Add to that a war on the doorstep of Europe, which is occurring  concurrently with other conflicts around the globe.  These are uneasy times, and we appreciate the times that were easier, a time and a world that allowed for easier pleasures.  Will those times return?  The reality is, probably not in the same way, if ever.

• Like 8

We’ve sailed with Azamara twice since the world has opened up, spending nearly a month on Quest last fall and then another cruise in March.  We had an embarkation change just weeks before traveling, we had ever changing restrictions.  We had multiple tests on all three cruises in the fall, but had to because of each country’s different requirements.  Stressful, absolutely.  But you know what, traveling still even now is going the stressful because no one knows what the future holds.  Our March cruise was more forgiving as we only needed the embarkation test.  We had supply issues and staffing issues both times out and we still had a wonderful time.  We chose to cruise knowing there would surely be shortcomings and we chose to accept them, because we were cruising again!  We are spending another month on Azamara this summer, knowing there will surely be supply issues and staffing issues and who knows what else.  Who knows what the future holds .  I for one am not going to stress and worry about tests and tonic water and what’s included and what isn’t.  It’s all minor and alternatives can be worked out.  We’re blessed to have a future of travel to look forward to.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisefam38 said:

These are uneasy times, and we appreciate the times that were easier, a time and a world that allowed for easier pleasures.  Will those times return?  The reality is, probably not in the same way, if ever.

Well said.  We didn't know how lucky we were, did we?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I agree tonic and tests are minor things they all add up and as acceptable alternatives aren’t onboard I don’t see how you can say it can be worked out.  Worrying because of conflicting information you get whether you can board or not based on the test you may or may have not done is a stress too far for most people. I’m not sure what rate you were paying but we were paying pre pandemic rates for post pandemic sub par experience in April which wasn’t a patch even on our Autumn cruise. Long waiting times on calls doesn’t help (and my TA has given up trying to get through again today, don’t blame him he has other guests to serve and other lines that answer him far quicker and with more accurate answers). 

I agree being able to travel is a gift and it’s a gift of my savings I’d have liked to give to Azamara but based on the excellent pre cruise information I have from a river cruise line just now, maybe the oceans will not get my cash. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 7

47 minutes ago, uktog said:

Long waiting times on calls doesn’t help (and my TA has given up trying to get through again today, don’t blame him he has other guests to serve and other lines that answer him far quicker and with more accurate answers). 

I've held on Celebrity for three hours, Viking for 2 hours, Princess 1 1/2 hours and Scenic River Cruises for three hours in the past couple weeks.  Your TA is very fortunate to have not had to hold long on other cruise lines.  Point being, as with many businesses right now, they are all short staffed and dealing with an overwhelming number of calls.  It's not just Azamara.  

• Like 5

I apreciate the lack of staff or at least the lack of experienced staff can be noticeable on board at times. Our Journey cruise in January we had no such mishaps as described by some, but I will say it happens everywhere on land as well. Restaurants and hotels in my own country are struggling. 90 % of serving staff on initial training and service getting slower than you thought was possible. This is also evident at sea and maybe we have to be more patient. (Never with tonic-gate😂)

Getting Azamara to answer important calls is a terrible excercise these days and I can only give my advice that in Sacaninavia and UK the Royal Caribbean staff is probably able to answer many of your queries because they still do operate as an agent for Azamara. 

• Like 2

I think if the cruise lines (or at least the premium and luxury ones) would just admit that it's tough starting up again, and offered some discounts, most would be fine with it.  We're all struggling, everywhere, but they could at least acknowledge that.

• Like 7

I think the problem with offering discounts will translate into less qualified staff and less quality and selection in the food and beverage department.  Which will in turn cause more issues with customer satisfaction.  

• Like 3

A valuable discussion! Things have changed greatly in the world. There have been a lot of stressors the last two years and I think everyone has a mild ( or not mild) level of anger and anxiety. Confusing communication  just adds to that. The world needs a big hug right now. 
 Also port changes.. that has happened to us many times cruising. ( fingers crossed for Mykonos this summer!) but I think the whole Covid situation has amplified the anxiety level to a new high. At least it has for me. I know seas can be rough.. ports missed.. It’s one thing to travel and not have the right tonic I like. It’s another to plan to travel in a suite and end up stuck in a tiny room in the bowels of the ship really sick. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, laurieb said:

I think the problem with offering discounts will translate into less qualified staff and less quality and selection in the food and beverage department.  Which will in turn cause more issues with customer satisfaction.  

I think the discounts would have to be short-term to prevent that.  This has happened briefly in the past, and it hasn't had long-term consequences for quality.  Think 9/11.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think if the cruise lines (or at least the premium and luxury ones) would just admit that it's tough starting up again, and offered some discounts, most would be fine with it.  We're all struggling, everywhere, but they could at least acknowledge that.

My impression is, discounts have already been offered: currently, prices are very attractive. 

As of the lack of training, my worry would be less about waiting staff but rather about deckhands, engineers and officers. Students around the world struggled with no on hands experience for two years, now they are graduating and joining the workforce, that is what horrifies me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laurieb said:

We’ve sailed with Azamara twice since the world has opened up, spending nearly a month on Quest last fall and then another cruise in March.  We had an embarkation change just weeks before traveling, we had ever changing restrictions.  We had multiple tests on all three cruises in the fall, but had to because of each country’s different requirements.  Stressful, absolutely.  But you know what, traveling still even now is going the stressful because no one knows what the future holds.  Our March cruise was more forgiving as we only needed the embarkation test.  We had supply issues and staffing issues both times out and we still had a wonderful time.  We chose to cruise knowing there would surely be shortcomings and we chose to accept them, because we were cruising again!  We are spending another month on Azamara this summer, knowing there will surely be supply issues and staffing issues and who knows what else.  Who knows what the future holds .  I for one am not going to stress and worry about tests and tonic water and what’s included and what isn’t.  It’s all minor and alternatives can be worked out.  We’re blessed to have a future of travel to look forward to.  

I agree with all of the above.  We were on Quest in November and again in February.  The November cruise had to rank as one of our most enjoyable.  While the world gets back up and running, I am willing to deal with all of the issues that supply chain disruptions and labor force shortages are causing just for the opportunity to experience something that feels normal.  As things get fully back to some semblance of normal, then I will expect businesses like Azamara to get their acts together and fully deliver what we have come to expect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, andrcan said:

My impression is, discounts have already been offered: currently, prices are very attractive. 

Perhaps that's true of Azamara; it's certainly not true of Regent our "go to" line.  Moot since we're not travelling right now at all, but their prices are eye-watering.