The buckwheat pancakes are not buckwheat!

LindaJ+

12 hours ago, KroozNut said:

No, I think that complaints about food are inherently subjective, and therefore meaningless.

I posted several examples earlier of objective comments.

Please, someone let me know if there is no actual meat in the meatloaf. On second thought, nevermind, you won't find me ordering the meatloaf anyway. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I posted several examples earlier of objective comments.

Please, someone let me know if there is no actual meat in the meatloaf. On second thought, nevermind, you won't find me ordering the meatloaf anyway. 🤣

Speaking of meatloaf, several years ago I ordered meatloaf in the MDR. The meatloaf was so stuff; “How stuff was it Redneck Bob”, It could not be cut with a steak knife. I requested the chef chef come to the table and observe what they had prepared. He had no clue what had happened to the meatloaf 😳

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Speaking of meatloaf, several years ago I ordered meatloaf in the MDR. The meatloaf was so stuff; “How stuff was it Redneck Bob”, It could not be cut with a steak knife. I requested the chef chef come to the table and observe what they had prepared. He had no clue what had happened to the meatloaf 😳

The butler did it in the spa with the towel animal . . .

• Haha 5

I love meatloaf, but it's one of those things you're taking a chance on, everybody seems to have their own special version, Annie Wilkes puts Spam in hers (will see how many of you get it).

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

It is my opinion that the words "meat" and "loaf" should never be connected in any possible way... but that is just my very subjective opinion 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 3:46 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t think the op said the cabin stewards suck or that they can’t find anything to eat.  They just didn’t like the pancakes.  Maybe others will find that information helpful.

Actually the OP titled the thread "The buckwheat pancakes are not buckwheat" implying that they had no buckwheat in them. The whole title of the thread is misleading, in fact it invites criticism. Because something on the ship isn't as good as the version served in their favourite diner back home doesn't mean the "buckwheat pancakes aren't buckwheat" it means they are different from what I'm used to and prefer the ones from home. I'm not sure how "helpful" this thread was intended to be.

Sticking with the original post something as simple as a burger can be so varied starting with the fat content of the ground beef, remember fat makes flavour. The key is getting the right balance. Also those that lament that the burger is "overcooked", sorry food safe demands an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Just because Bob's Burgers back home serves it blood rare does not make it right. If you intend to serve ground beef rare then you better be grinding it in house every day making sure there is no contaminants on it (nasty things like E.coli could result serving rare ground beef from a bulk supplier). So the OP didn't like the Dive in Burger fair enough, others apparently like them. And complaining about frozen fries...really? How many cruise ships serve fresh cut fries?

On the subject of Lobster, most lobster tails are not the crustaceans we are used to seeing from Maine or Nova Scotia, they are something else altogether. Just like the many different species of shrimp and prawns they all look similar but they are different and taste different. If you require good lobster you better expect it to be getting pulled out of a live tank. If that is not available to you then you will get a different result.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I really don’t care to argue the point anymore.  When someone posts a stick it’s gone into absurdity.

Agree.  I was perplexed but knew it wasn't a compliment.  And, before someone quotes me, please save yourself the trouble.  Tit for tat is tiresome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

Oh lighten up. It was supposed to be a joke.

Given the daily news and the recent passing of friends who are of my generation leaving me to wondering when my number will appear, I appreciate "funnies".  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/14/2022 at 12:19 PM, tuolumne couple said:

Oh lighten up. It was supposed to be a joke. Besides, the sticks that they serve on board have too much branch in them....

This post sums up the entire thread masterfully... thank you!

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 7:15 AM, LindaJ+ said:

At least not filled with buckwheat flavor like the ones at our local Pig 'n' Pancake.  And smothered in a sticky sweet strawberry sauce to keep you guessing.   Darn!  I'd been looking forward all week to have enough time to do breakfast in the MDR and order these. 

Also the burgers in the Dive-In some posters have been raving about are very ordinary ... with tasteless frozen fries.  I guess I'm just used to fresh food from our local joint. 

The lobster last night was mushy with minimal flavor.  Not worth the $20 upcharge.

Is the Pig and Pancake to which you refer the one in Seaside? If so, it is one our favorite places on the Oregon Coast.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, jeh10641 said:

Is the Pig and Pancake to which you refer the one in Seaside? If so, it is one our favorite places on the Oregon Coast.

Jim

I go to the one in Lincoln City