DEBIT CARD WHILE SAILING

My 18 year old neighbor is going on a cruise with another girls family.   She does not have a credit card and asked me how a debit card would work.   I have no idea because we always use a credit card.    Or what is the cash option.   It’s a 4 night cruise.     I told her I would try to get answers for her.  
Thanks.  

Definitely use a cash account option.  Do not use debit card that ties into your checking account.   When you make a charge above the $100.00 pre authorization they initially put on, the put a hold for everything you charge, then at the end of the cruise they charge the entire amount.  The previous holds will eventually drop off … keyword is eventually!!!  So cash account is best even if you have to use the ATM on the ship.

10 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Have her do a cash acct...avoid using a Debit Card...The hold they put on these may not work out as the best option for her.

10 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Have her do a cash acct...avoid using a Debit Card...The hold they put on these may not work out as the best option for her.

Does she have to put a certain amount of cash up front?

15 minutes ago, closecruiser said:

Or what is the cash option.

Use the cash option (you can charge up to $300 before you need to pay it down) to start and settle the account on the last night with her debit card.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Green said:

DO NOT USE A DEBIT CARD. I don't know if its an option, but what about a VISA Cash Card or VISA Gift Card? Don't know if that would work.

I told her debit was not a good idea.   Not sure if you can use visa cash card or not.   

Those "git cards" won't work, either.  When they put the hold on them, it still ties up the money on the card.  Some of those also take a long time to re-enable funds availability after the merchant has released the hold.  This "float" is how they make more money on the gift cards than the initial $4-$5 issuance fee.

If this young person could get an actual credit card, that would be better.  Maybe a parent could co-sign?  A traditional AMEX card might be best so it does not have a revolving balance and may also have a higher credit limit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, closecruiser said:

My 18 year old neighbor is going on a cruise with another girls family.   She does not have a credit card and asked me how a debit card would work.   I have no idea because we always use a credit card.    Or what is the cash option.   It’s a 4 night cruise.     I told her I would try to get answers for her.  
Thanks.  

Like a credit card, the cruise line will be continually running authorizations which will tie up her money until her bank releases it. A cash account would be the way to go. 

Prepay as much as possible. 

She could even put down some refundable OBC to minimize any cash transactions on the ship. 

I rarely set up a credit card account. As soon as I board, I go to Guest Services and give them about $200 in a Cash Account. They give me a receipt. I prepay most of everything….gratuities, gifts, soda, and anything else I can prepay.  I keep all my receipts for any ship purchases, drinks, etc. and double check my cash account from time to time…just in case. 
If I do spend beyond the $200, I can still settle my bill with my credit card, or with more cash.  

I’ve never had that problem of being charged after I leave the ship either, as some people have had.

We arefrom the uk. We always use a debt card and never had any issues. Including cruises from america. 

In fact only issue we had is the hotel trying to put it through as a credit card and not a debt card so they said card was declined. Told them its a credit card and went through first time. 

We dont own a credit cards.