Uograde to Premium Beverage Package not worth the money

drakes2

On 5/20/2022 at 2:31 PM, Rustyman said:

Out of a brandy glass😉🥃

2 hours ago, kjwinston2019 said:

Being a good Irish boy...drinking Chevas out of any glass is good for me. As long as it is neat...give me a Keer Jar, 

IMG_0998.JPG

Wrong glass... sir... wrong-glass.gif

12 hours ago, kjwinston2019 said:

Being a good Irish boy...drinking Chevas out of any glass is good for me. As long as it is neat...give me a Keer Jar, 

IMG_0998.JPG

Hi

Either of these glasses are whiskey or whisky glasses not to dissimilar to your Chivas glass.

1CABB0F1-5F74-4E0E-B9B0-280BBE015C3C.thumb.jpeg.8b5cbaffea088c9132d0ee3da321c396.jpeg

On 5/13/2022 at 11:59 AM, Algebralovr said:

I had a long conversation with the beverage manager on one of my recent cruises.  They are simply struggling to get many supplies.  The supply chains are broken.  For example, on one of my cruises last fall, they didn't get a couple of the flavors of tea that is usually in Al Bacio.  They also ran out of Coke Zero and were subbing Diet Coke.  

The issue is that they are not allowed to simply take a van and go to Sam's Club when they get to port... they have to go through their supply contracts.  Meanwhile, suppliers are allocating to different purchasers.  So, while Celebrity may be ordering 25 cases of a wine per week, due to allocation, they may only receive 12 of that wine, because the supplier also needs to supply to many other sources.

We all simply need to be patient. 

For me, I upgrade to PALL because I want San Pelegrino and an occasional Martini Bar drink.  Still worth it.  

Hmmmm I not sure that is true. We recently sailed and wine was a huge issue. Ran out of white wine first day at Sunset. No rose. No premium wines other than maybe some Elegance (only some bars sometimes). We heard a few nights “we are running out of wine”. Look what appeared one night. 

5D761691-DBE2-43ED-AE1B-DB9D84288E09.jpeg

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Princess Fi said:

Hmmmm I not sure that is true. We recently sailed and wine was a huge issue. Ran out of white wine first day at Sunset. No rose. No premium wines other than maybe some Elegance (only some bars sometimes). We heard a few nights “we are running out of wine”. Look what appeared one night. 

5D761691-DBE2-43ED-AE1B-DB9D84288E09.jpeg

Provided by Celebrity or brought onboard by a guest?  I hope they weren't pitching a $5.99 bottle of Sauv Blanc as a premium wine. 

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:59 AM, Algebralovr said:

I had a long conversation with the beverage manager on one of my recent cruises.  They are simply struggling to get many supplies.  The supply chains are broken.  For example, on one of my cruises last fall, they didn't get a couple of the flavors of tea that is usually in Al Bacio.  They also ran out of Coke Zero and were subbing Diet Coke.  

The issue is that they are not allowed to simply take a van and go to Sam's Club when they get to port... they have to go through their supply contracts.  Meanwhile, suppliers are allocating to different purchasers.  So, while Celebrity may be ordering 25 cases of a wine per week, due to allocation, they may only receive 12 of that wine, because the supplier also needs to supply to many other sources.

We all simply need to be patient. 

For me, I upgrade to PALL because I want San Pelegrino and an occasional Martini Bar drink.  Still worth it.  

Frankly, I don't buy the argument.  

My grocery store is stocked. Costco is stocked. Total Wine is stocked.   

If the cruise companies are unable to secure the supplies they need, THEY have a problem with THEIR suppliers and need to do a better job.   

AND if they're unable to provide the advertised products, especially on the premium package, they shouldn't be advertising and selling it.  Would make a very nice 'bait & switch' case.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, D C said:

Provided by Celebrity or brought onboard by a guest?  I hope they weren't pitching a $5.99 bottle of Sauv Blanc as a premium wine. 

I addressed the wine issue day three of our cruise so at dinner they supplied wine (we had premium package) and this was supplied by Celebrity one night. I think someone made a Costco run that day…….

17 minutes ago, D C said:

If the cruise companies are unable to secure the supplies they need, THEY have a problem with THEIR suppliers and need to do a better job.   

AND if they're unable to provide the advertised products, especially on the premium package, they shouldn't be advertising and selling it.  Would make a very nice 'bait & switch' case.

But the problem is they don't buy from them.  Can you imagine if they did?  They would have to go to several grocery stores, Costcos and Total Wines to get ample stock AND that is retail.  Cruise line will go through wholesalers where they can get quantity discounts AND have billing privileges instead of paying cash.

Edited by ScottC4746

39 minutes ago, D C said:

I tend to agree with you. They kept running out of Decoy cab most nights on the Eclipse and were substituting from their basic package. One night I paid the upcharge for the Opus as they said they had other red cabs that I could choose from but I refused to pay another extra charge after that. I live in Canada and my local stores are also well stocked with some fabulous wines. For my next cruise I'll just bring my own wine from home and forget about the AI entirely. Just not worth the hassle any longer. 

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I tend to agree with you. They kept running out of Decoy cab most nights on the Eclipse and were substituting from their basic package. One night I paid the upcharge for the Opus as they said they had other red cabs that I could choose from but I refused to pay another extra charge after that. I live in Canada and my local stores are also well stocked with some fabulous wines. For my next cruise I'll just bring my own wine from home and forget about the AI entirely. Just not worth the hassle any longer. 

Just be aware when they scan bags they somehow can detect it and will confiscate it.  Even if you buy bottles in ports, the will gladly hold them until the end of the cruise.

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I found these marked down recently at the LCBO at 20% off so bought several bottles of each. Freemark Abbey and Francis Ford Coppola reserve cabs. Both excellent wines.

20220523_110451.jpg

11 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Just be aware when they scan bags they somehow can detect it and will confiscate it.  Even if you buy bottles in ports, the will gladly hold them until the end of the cruise.

I only bring on my 2 bottle allotment and if I run out I will utilize my Elite HH which will tide me to the end of the cruise.  I had better quality wines during the Edge Happy hour than what was stocked on the Eclipse. 

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

But the problem is they don't buy from them.  Can you imagine if they did?  They would have to go to several grocery stores, Costcos and Total Wines to get ample stock AND that is retail.  Cruise line will go through wholesalers where they can get quantity discounts AND have billing privileges instead of paying cash.

I said nothing to the contrary, not did I suggest X go shopping at Costco. 

Costco and other retailers have a supply chain

Cruise lines have a supply chain

One of those supply chains is NOT having an issue getting product. The other one is.  That is a problem with the supply chain being used by the cruise lines, NOT a problem with the entire supply chain for that product. 

• Like 3

Any updates about wines on the European sailings? We’re booked on the August 13 Apex Norway fjords cruise and I’m wondering what the situation could be like. Of course no one knows for sure, but is the supply chain better in Europe?

We’ll certainly upgrade to premium as we enjoy trying out various martinis and mixed drinks. But we also love our wines, especially the reds, and I’d be sorry if the selection was wanting. 

Would love to hear from anyone cruising in Europe now, thanks in advance 😊

Edited by prish

I can always find something to drink on either package. We mostly book suites with premium package. Last Oct we booked Aqua and we have another Aqua booked with family in Nov. We uses our elite plus discount to upgrade before the cruise. DH likes Mango Grey Goose and I like Mer Soleil $14 a glass. If just look at the numbers for myself. 2 glasses of wine with lunch and 3 with dinner. The difference is $5.00 per glass of wine times 5 is $25 a day. Seems like a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kjwinston2019 said:

So will they serve a double neat?

Hi 

Yes,I use them for my nightly double Jameson’s,,,thins the blood you know.

The Tuath glass is hard to get hold of,,I had to fly to Dublin for a weekend on the black stuff to get one…no great hardship.

• Haha 1

Just off the Equinox. Champagne by the glass unacceptable in both Luminae and retreat lounge. Tried 2 different ones on day 1, didn't have any after day 1. White wines by the glass in retreat lounge unacceptable as well. Tried 4 different ones (sip) on day 2 didn't have any. Luminae red wine by the glass able to get by. Red wine by the glass in Murano and Tuscan Grille were acceptable. Not enjoyable unable to ask for and get a champagne or white wine by the glass that is acceptable. With the premium beverage package I do not want to have to pay for/buy a bottle to be satisfied.

2 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Just off the Equinox. Champagne by the glass unacceptable in both Luminae and retreat lounge. Tried 2 different ones on day 1, didn't have any after day 1. White wines by the glass in retreat lounge unacceptable as well. Tried 4 different ones (sip) on day 2 didn't have any. Luminae red wine by the glass able to get by. Red wine by the glass in Murano and Tuscan Grille were acceptable. Not enjoyable unable to ask for and get a champagne or white wine by the glass that is acceptable. With the premium beverage package I do not want to have to pay for/buy a bottle to be satisfied.

Unless they are able to get some decent wines onboard I'll be done with the AI package.  I have a UA flight credit to use by the end of this year so considering a 10 night on the Edge.  With my Elite HH plus my 2 bottle allotment of wine that should suffice. It was such a hassle trying to get some nice wine to enjoy with my dinner on my recent cruise. Took away from an enjoyable dining experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Really not sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying they didn't have the premium package wines, or that you simply don't like the wines offered on the premium package?  If the latter, you're going to have a very difficult time with any beverage package, I'm afraid. 

Edited by D C
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Just as a calibration.   Do you considered Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc as an acceptable wine?  Or most Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand acceptable?

My wife and I have always found the Classic Drink wine options limited, so we always have the premium package.

2 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

I would be interested to know which wines (by name) you found acceptable?

I think for the price we all pay for a cruise, suite or not, you expect something better.  This thread is very depressing as I'll be in Europe in September.  I don't usually buy bottles on board but I will if I have to.  I have heard there are some places in Europe that make wine?

Edited by zitsky

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I have heard that are some places in Europe that make wine?

Our next cruise is Australia &  New Zealand, no idea how we we will get decent wine being so far from California 🙂...

• Haha 4