Princess McKinley Wilderness Lodge - Tours or just chill?

LCW

We only are at the lodge overnight, so long tours are not an option.  The ship has several tours, but wondering if there is enough to do at the hotel for one evening/next morning.  I understand there are talks and a Treehouse?   I understand there is a shuttle to Talkeetna, but it's an hour's drive, so not really interested in that. 

Have a 14 yr old girl with us.  This is the last stop before the train back to Anchorage and then home.  

Should we chill or bit the bullet and do one last tour? If so, what do you recommend? 

The Princess McKinley Lodge is used to warehouse travelers between Denali and Anchorage. There's some walking trails, but that's about it, unless you want to take the shuttle in Talkeetna.

So if you think you want to relax, it's a good place to do it. If you want an experience, I'd take the shuttle into Talkeetna and book a Mahay's Jetboat trip. https://mahaysriverboat.com/

As a fellow Alaskan I want to echo the post by @AKStafford.    We have stayed there a number of times when driving back from Seward to our home in Fairbanks.  Spending the night there means we are an hour of drive time closer to home versus stopping for the night in Wasilla.  

I am always struck by the number of folks just sitting around when we walk into the main lobby to check in.  While there are some walking paths/trails and the view of Denali is lovely when the mountain is "out" it basically is a stopping point positioned in a location which requires a Princess excursion.  Some folks use their time there to do laundry.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 3:07 PM, AKStafford said:

The Princess McKinley Lodge is used to warehouse travelers between Denali and Anchorage.

I got a chuckle out your comment.  I have not thought of myself as being a "commodity" that needed "warehousing" during a tour.  When I have considered a Princess land tour, it seemed to me that this property is the least desirable that they use.

23 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We have stayed there a number of times when driving back from Seward to our home in Fairbanks.  Spending the night there means we are an hour of drive time closer to home versus stopping for the night in Wasilla.  

Just curious:  why do you choose to stay overnight there and not at the HAL or Princess property at Denali.?   Forget the name, but, there is a very nice hotel up a mountain there.  I had two overnights at Denali on a DIY tour with my Alaskan Nephew; we stayed at a motel/RV business across the street from the HAL and Princess hotels.  It was acceptable; just the minimum, but, clean and the beds were comfortable.  (I was glad to return to my room at the Fairfield Inn in Anchorage for the rest of my stay, however.)  A highlight of my 2 night stay was going to Healy each evening.  Liked that experience a great deal!  

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Just curious:  why do you choose to stay overnight there and not at the HAL or Princess property at Denali.?   Forget the name, but, there is a very nice hotel up a mountain there. ....

Do you understand the length of the drive from Seward to Fairbanks?  While you could do it in one day we prefer not to do so due to my husband's back.  

The Mt. McKinley Princess is located at mile 133 of the George Parks Hwy with the entrance to DNP at mile 237.  Particularly in the summer, which is the season of road repair and construction, that extra 100 miles to the "glitter gulch" hotels can be a long 100 miles.  The McKinley View Princess is a convenient stop.  

The hotel which you describe as being up a mountain is the Denali Grande.  It is a little higher in elevation that its sister property the Denali Bluffs.

And I totally agree with "quack2".  We don't stop for the night in Wasilla.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, CynCyn said:

Details please!

People like to dump on Wasilla. Makes them feel superior I guess...

I live in Wasilla. It's your typical suburban area. Plenty of shopping for supplies, although we do have a 2% sales tax that Anchorage doesn't. 

The Lake Lucille Inn is in the middle of a remodel, but we've got some great B&B's. And were centrally located for lots of hiking and sightseeing opportunities. And some good places to eat. Hebrews Café makes the best sandwiches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't come to AK to chill.  I come there to see things and there is always something in AK that I haven't yet seen.  Chilling is a waste of my travel time and I can chill as much as I want at home.  I will add however that I never had and will never ever take a cruisetour.

DON

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AKStafford said:

People like to dump on Wasilla. Makes them feel superior I guess...

I live in Wasilla. It's your typical suburban area. Plenty of shopping for supplies, although we do have a 2% sales tax that Anchorage doesn't. 

The Lake Lucille Inn is in the middle of a remodel, but we've got some great B&B's. And were centrally located for lots of hiking and sightseeing opportunities. And some good places to eat. Hebrews Café makes the best sandwiches.

Does your community remain the home for former Governor Palin?  

On 5/14/2022 at 5:29 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Do you understand the length of the drive from Seward to Fairbanks?  

Yes.  Not sure of the mileage from Seward to Anchorage, but, it's not a short drive in and of itself.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:29 PM, Northern Aurora said:

The Mt. McKinley Princess is located at mile 133 of the George Parks Hwy with the entrance to DNP at mile 237.  

Add whatever the mileage is from Seward to Anchorage and then on where the "glitter gulch" (😆) of hotels are, I understand.  Seems to me that you are the kind of "this is the number of miles/day I want to drive" that I am.  

Some where I live like to drive to Florida in one day.  I have two stop overs enroute to Fort Lauderdale; some don't understand why.  

Thank you for your response.