Leaving on Grandeur on Wednesday - any recent tips/reviews?

13 minutes ago, NeedsAVaca10 said:

Any tips or reviews?

Welcome to CC.

Use the drop down on the main RCI page and pick Grandeur - a list of potentially useful existing threads will come up. @firefly333 may have some feedback.

Edited by Biker19

Got off a 4 night yesterday. OLD ship, showing her wear and tear, but a fun trip none the less. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but LOTS of places to sit and watch the waves rolling by.

The Egg Drop Contest was quite fun to watch.

Nice to be able to get from one end of the ship to the other in no time at all. Not sure what capacity we were at, but only encountered a full elevator once or twice.

Voom isn't worth the money unless you REALLY have to have it. Streaming was virtually non-existent. Surf was OK at best in a few spots, dead most places. Even the Royal app's dependence on WiFi made it more a pain than a help. Thank goodness they still provide paper Compass.

If creaking noises bother your sleep, I'd recommend earplugs 🙂 

If you have anything specific, ask and I'll try to answer.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 2:15 PM, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Use the drop down on the main RCI page and pick Grandeur - a list of potentially useful existing threads will come up. @firefly333 may have some feedback.

I'm debating starting a thread of my own. First 2 legs were very good  but the dining  crew reached its breaking pt this cruise. 

WJ sea day was too much. My cabin steward says what do you expect 70% crew and 100% pax.

Never saw the roast beef sandwiches, went 3 times looking for ribs. Some protein. Pasta day and I dont eat pasta. Finally got a couple of ribs 3rd time. Went for silverware and every single bin is empty. Got a crew to get some but everyone needs silverware. Then not a single clean table. Friends let me eat with them. So I'm already feeling put out. 

Another gal said at 130 pm she was standing outside the WJ in line they stopped letting people in. Someone at my dinner table borrowed his wife's napkin and said he ate lunch with his fingers. We only half half enough salt and pepper shakers. 

Go to dinner. Night 2 i order a appetizer from the vegan menu. I ask for poblano soup and the avacado and melon appetizer. Mind you I've had it 2 legs already and this is 3rd leg same order as always. Waiter female tells me i have to preorder from the vegan part of the fleetwide menu posted on my app. I like no, she gets her supervisor. He is all acting like he is doing me a special favor getting me a menu item. He even takes my cabin number for next leg and says he will make sure he gets it for me. 

While this is nice of him. Imo I'm not the one at fault, the waiter needs to be told this is a fleetwide menu. It comes off I'm the problem if he has to seat me with a different special waiter next leg. Hasnt been a problem on liberty or 1st two legs, but it is with her. I left mad the supervisor is making me the problem for ordering a appetizer which if you scroll down past the kids menus is on everyone's app. Did WJ last night for dinner but tonight is lobster. I think I want the kids appetizer of strawberries and kiwi. See if she tells me no. 

I screen shot the menu on my app ... it's the avacado and melon with lime sauce. 

20220514_203222249.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm debating starting a thread of my own. First 2 legs were very good  but the dining  crew reached its breaking pt this cruise. 

WJ sea day was too much. My cabin steward says what do you expect 70% crew and 100% pax.

Never saw the roast beef sandwiches, went 3 times looking for ribs. Some protein. Pasta day and I dont eat pasta. Finally got a couple of ribs 3rd time. Went for silverware and every single bin is empty. Got a crew to get some but everyone needs silverware. Then not a single clean table. Friends let me eat with them. So I'm already feeling put out. 

Another gal said at 130 pm she was standing outside the WJ in line they stopped letting people in. Someone at my dinner table borrowed his wife's napkin and said he ate lunch with his fingers. We only half half enough salt and pepper shakers. 

Go to dinner. Night 2 i order a appetizer from the vegan menu. I ask for poblano soup and the avacado and melon appetizer. Mind you I've had it 2 legs already and this is 3rd leg same order as always. Waiter female tells me i have to preorder from the vegan part of the fleetwide menu posted on my app. I like no, she gets her supervisor. He is all acting like he is doing me a special favor getting me a menu item. He even takes my cabin number for next leg and says he will make sure he gets it for me. 

While this is nice of him. Imo I'm not the one at fault, the waiter needs to be told this is a fleetwide menu. It comes off I'm the problem if he has to seat me with a different special waiter next leg. Hasnt been a problem on liberty or 1st two legs, but it is with her. I left mad the supervisor is making me the problem for ordering a appetizer which if you scroll down past the kids menus is on everyone's app. Did WJ last night for dinner but tonight is lobster. I think I want the kids appetizer of strawberries and kiwi. See if she tells me no. 

I screen shot the menu on my app ... it's the avacado and melon with lime sauce. 

20220514_203222249.jpeg

They have a paper menu for Vegan too. I had no problem mix and matching on Adventure last week. I am not vegan but often prefer vegetarian options, especially the soups but also some main courses.

15 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

They have a paper menu for Vegan too. I had no problem mix and matching on Adventure last week. I am not vegan but often prefer vegetarian options, especially the soups but also some main courses.

I'm not a vegan either.

@John&LaLawould not be able to order mac n cheese at dinner without this girl saying she has to ask a supervisor. 

Imo she should take the order and if she is that unsure quietly go ask her supervisor. Dont tell the pax let me go get a supervisor. I ordered a appetizer from the kids menu tonight to see if he told her. Nope another I have to go ask, if you can have that. 

First time she said no so I guess that's a improvement. Someone needs to tell her people can order from the menu, they dont have to be kids or vegans, she still hasnt gotten the message. Low score for her. She can handle it better than telling me no...quietly handle it behind the scenes. She needs training. I was told her supervisor is only 3 weeks on the job. The blind leading the blind.

You just dont say no you cant have this. Find out and if no then talk with the pax. Just handled so wrong. Yes I get it no one wants to work and hard to hire. 

Lots order banana splits or mac n cheese from the kids menu. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not a vegan either.

@John&LaLawould not be able to order mac n cheese at dinner without this girl saying she has to ask a supervisor. 

Imo she should take the order and if she is that unsure quietly go ask her supervisor. Dont tell the pax let me go get a supervisor. I ordered a appetizer from the kids menu tonight to see if he told her. Nope another I have to go ask, if you can have that. 

First time she said no so I guess that's a improvement. Someone needs to tell her people can order from the menu, they dont have to be kids or vegans, she still hasnt gotten the message. Low score for her. She can handle it better than telling me no...quietly handle it behind the scenes. She needs training. I was told her supervisor is only 3 weeks on the job. The blind leading the blind.

You just dont say no you cant have this. Find out and if no then talk with the pax. Just handled so wrong. Yes I get it no one wants to work and hard to hire. 

Lots order banana splits or mac n cheese from the kids menu. 

She is probably just new, uncertain and possibly has a language problem. I would ask her directly for the vegan/kids menu and point and if that doesn’t work ask to speak directly with the supervisor to find out directly what the problem is, rather than having a three-way conversation.

The supervisors have been very visible on our sailings since the restart - I think they know there are a lot of  problems to be sorted out, especially with new, untrained staff. I wouldn’t take it personally. She is probably just not aware.

31 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

She is probably just new, uncertain and possibly has a language problem. I would ask her directly for the vegan/kids menu and point and if that doesn’t work ask to speak directly with the supervisor to find out directly what the problem is, rather than having a three-way conversation.

The supervisors have been very visible on our sailings since the restart - I think they know there are a lot of  problems to be sorted out, especially with new, untrained staff. I wouldn’t take it personally. She is probably just not aware.

she speaks english with no accent. You misunderstand what I'm posting. I am pointing to the item. She knows what item I want. She doesnt think people are allowed to order items not on the main menu.

She knew what item I wanted. I pointed to it on the menu tonight on the kids menu. She thinks as a adult I have to get permission to order off the vegan or kids menu. She was perfectly clear what I wanted. I pointed to it on the menu on my app. First night she said if I wanted a item from the vegan menu I had to have pre ordered it. I suspect she has it mixed up like gluten free doesnt have a menu so they pre order. I'm ordering something that is on the menu. There is no age limit. Anyone is allowed to order off the kids menu. She just is poorly trained.

• Like 1

Off the subject of food I'm also having a gnat problem in my bathrooms. They came and sprayed but say they are in the water pipes so spraying one cabin doesnt really help. Harmless but still odd to have gnats in my bathroom. 

On my roll calls I'm also reading lots of food complaints so it's not just me. Food tastes good, they just lack the staff to serve it in a timely manner. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 6:18 AM, GJustice said:

Got off a 4 night yesterday. OLD ship, showing her wear and tear, but a fun trip none the less. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but LOTS of places to sit and watch the waves rolling by.

The Egg Drop Contest was quite fun to watch.

Nice to be able to get from one end of the ship to the other in no time at all. Not sure what capacity we were at, but only encountered a full elevator once or twice.

Voom isn't worth the money unless you REALLY have to have it. Streaming was virtually non-existent. Surf was OK at best in a few spots, dead most places. Even the Royal app's dependence on WiFi made it more a pain than a help. Thank goodness they still provide paper Compass.

If creaking noises bother your sleep, I'd recommend earplugs 🙂 

If you have anything specific, ask and I'll try to answer.

Very kind.  Not sure I could even do 4 nights on that ship. Let alone more then that.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

4th leg they finally must have sprayed as the gnats were gone. Ship brought them from Barbados imo. I was bug free leg 4. 

Wifi wasnt very good but I was glad to have it so much. Still get 2 free days no matter how long the leg. During the night you would think it would be better but wifi didnt really work during the night from my cabin at all more than once. 

I got the pts I needed, only need the 2 sept cruises to hit 340 pts for that solo cruise discount which is why I booked that specific number of days.

The staff was just overwhelmed. I dont blame them. Rcl needs to step up the hiring. Or not book so many they have trouble serving dinner in a timely manner. Get to where rhe cafe and the WJ can be opened at the same time. Lol one of the crew said after june 1st they expected more salt and pepper shakers. I eat a little food with my salt. Shakers had to be hunted down in WJ. They didnt step things up from Barbados and magically thought things would be ok. 

Hopefully now things are running smoother. 

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Very kind.  Not sure I could even do 4 nights on that ship. Let alone more then that.

I've done a total of 62 nights (all from Baltimore) on Grandeur ( 7, 10, 7, 10, 12, 8 , 8 ) and enjoyed them all.

Edited by Another_Critic

11 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Nope.  Grandeur had a large number of repeat passengers when she sailed from Baltimore.

Wasn't that the only Royal ship Baltimore had for years, that and Enchantment? Pretty much all local people on those ships. Guess it's fine if you don't want to fly. Just wasn't great for us. One and done for us on that ship.

That's okay, glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Wasn't that the only Royal ship Baltimore had for years, that and Enchantment? Pretty much all local people on those ships. Guess it's fine if you don't want to fly. Just wasn't great for us. One and done for us on that ship.

That's okay, glad you enjoyed it.

Back in the day many folks swore by her in Baltimore. Almost cult like. Lots of best crew ever comments. Pretty sure John Denton was responsible for the loyalty.

But in Galveston, I'm sure it's a different story. She's there to go out to pasture most likely

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Back in the day many folks swore by her in Baltimore. Almost cult like. Lots of best crew ever comments. Pretty sure John Denton was responsible for the loyalty.

But in Galveston, I'm sure it's a different story. She's there to go out to pasture most likely

Too Many Magic Shows? Brain washed?

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

She heads to Miami for the winter. I’m booked on a b2b in January.

• Thanks 1

Is John still around? We were on his last Empress sailings pre-shut down?

I still think the problem is the ship sailed from Barbados and 700 pax got off and 1800 got on and rcl for sure didnt double the crew, rcl expected the same crew to manage more than double the pax overnight... though I hear they have 1900 this leg, bit the crew has had a few weeks now to adjust.

Expecting double pax overnight and not gradually I'm sure was a shock to crew. 

When it went out of Baltimore I'll bet they werent at 70% crew, with the biggest missing in dining crew. Probably by now they are adapting more. 

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I still think the problem is the ship sailed from Barbados and 700 pax got off and 1800 got on and rcl for sure didnt double the crew, rcl expected the same crew to manage more than double the pax overnight... though I hear they have 1900 this leg, bit the crew has had a few weeks now to adjust.

Expecting double pax overnight and not gradually I'm sure was a shock to crew. 

When it went out of Baltimore I'll bet they werent at 70% crew, with the biggest missing in dining crew. Probably by now they are adapting more. 

Umm, pretty sure they knew how many folks were getting on in Galveston