Marina South America - Penthouse questions

RetiredandTravel

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

You really need to get out your globe. Maritime laws have changed recently and none of Oceania’s ships are allowed into Antarctica. In fact they are not allowed below 60 degrees South. To go further South requires specialty exploration ships meeting hull and other construction requirements none of the O ships have. Viking has a new ship now especially built for that itinerary, as do some of the other lines. At 60 degrees South, you can’t even do the South Orkneys. With Oceania, you basically get additional sea days where land may not even be sighted, no less touched, in an area of the ocean fabled for violent seas. 

With the newish restrictions, I believe Oceania needs to be totally transparent as to what the expected route is in that area.

Unless you are a lawyer specializing in Maritime law I'm going to go with Oceania's legal department rather than "guy on CC" as to whether this is a doable itinerary.  If Oceania is falsifying it's product description we'll find out in eight months.  Since I'm now booked on the 2024 version of this cruise that will give me plenty of time to get a refund.

33 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Unless you are a lawyer specializing in Maritime law I'm going to go with Oceania's legal department rather than "guy on CC" as to whether this is a doable itinerary.  If Oceania is falsifying it's product description we'll find out in eight months.  Since I'm now booked on the 2024 version of this cruise that will give me plenty of time to get a refund.

Reasonable position. This topic has been discussed on various CC cruise line boards, all with the same conclusion.

This entire issue could be put to rest, if Oceania laid out its detailed planned route for this itinerary. Full Transparency would be a good thing.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Reasonable position. This topic has been discussed on various CC cruise line boards, all with the same conclusion.

This entire issue could be put to rest, if Oceania laid out its detailed planned route for this itinerary. Full Transparency would be a good thing.

If Oceania disappoints, I'm looking at the Viking Ship built for Antarctic expeditions. The two downsides are a much higher price and a couple of the people I usually cruise with are not physically able to do Zodiac rides and icy hikes.  What makes a "drive by" cruise appealing is those are not at issue. 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

It wasn’t my intention to be rude. The new rules went into effect 1 Jan 22. What occurred before then doesn’t matter. Oceania ships can’t cross the 60 degree South latitude. Just suggesting one look at their globe to understand what that means in Antarctica. The rules are also in effect for 60 degrees north. This puts Greenland and far north Alaska off limits likewise.

I don’t believe any of Regent’s ship can now go there.

Wow, the 60 degrees north puts anything north of Whittier or Seward, Alaska; or Bergen, Norway or Helsinki, Finland, out-of-bounds.  As well as Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, etc.  Many existing cruises will require to be modified...

Regent's Voyager has an Antarctica drive-by similar to Oceania's scheduled to depart January 19, 2023.

Either we now have 2 cruise lines publishing false itineraries; or there is more to this story. Since I am booked on a similar O cruise in Dec. '23, clarity from O would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Dwtlion said:

Regent's Voyager has an Antarctica drive-by similar to Oceania's scheduled to depart January 19, 2023.

Either we now have 2 cruise lines publishing false itineraries; or there is more to this story. Since I am booked on a similar O cruise in Dec. '23, clarity from O would be appreciated.

Interesting fact, Oceania's ships are registered in the Marshall Islands. The Marshall Islands is not a signatory of the Antarctica treaties that this speculation is about.  

Are vessels flagged in non-signatory countries bound by these exclusions?  So, if (and I have my doubts) the reading excluding cruises south of 60 degrees are correct, perhaps it is only enforceable for ships registered in countries that have signed the treaty.  

I certainly would not want to be a Cruise line advertising and selling an itinerary that is illegal to sail.  The level of managerial incompetence that would take is difficult to fathom.

18 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The rules are also in effect for 60 degrees north. This puts Greenland and far north Alaska off limits likewise.

Can you reference an official source for this statement?  Google seems not to be my friend in this regard except for a Canadian regulation specific to their territorial waters.  Inquiring minds booked this summer to Iceland, Greenland, Faroes, etc., will appreciate reading these rules for themselves.

Queen of DaNile, thanks for finding the Polar Code. After reading the Polar Code, I suspect that Marina has a Class C certificate which applies to ships that are allowed to only operate in open water or thin first year ice. Mystery solved.

1 hour ago, Dwtlion said:

After reading the Polar Code, I suspect that Marina has a Class C certificate which applies to ships that are allowed to only operate in open water or thin first year ice.

Exactly.  First of all, the Arctic area as referenced by pinotlover is not a uniform latitude of 60° North.  Page 9 of the linked Polar Code shows significant zigzags to the boundary in the North Atlantic and surrounding seas.  Yes, Greenland is within that affected area; but Iceland, the Faroes, and all of Norway are not, contrary to tigerfan75's (not-unjustified) deduction.

In any case, Dwtlion's point is correct: It's not a blanket forbidden zone, as a careful reading of the Polar Code will reveal.  There are rules and regulations for safe sailing within the area; all depending upon ship's construction, safety equipment onboard, weather, presence/size/thickness of ice in the water, etc., and approval must be granted beforehand by the appropriate authority.  

It's safe to assume that Oceania is well aware of this document and its requirements, and they wouldn't schedule cruise itineraries that would bust the rules.  Which is not to say that circumstances might not cause interruptions and port cancellations as the weather, ice, etc., present themselves.  Happened to us in August three years ago aboard Nautica when the ship couldn't reach three ports on the western shore of Greenland due to high winds and seas.  Disappointing but not surprising in that part of the world.  We'll be trying again this August aboard Sirena.

Edited by DrHemlock

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 8:18 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

I'm sure I could dig thru the comments and find the answers to many of these questions but if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

We are considering a Penthouse suite on the 24 day December Christmas (2023/2024) cruises from Lima to Buenos Aires which includes a visit to Antarctica.

1)  A Penthouse suite gets 2 reservations on this cruise for each of the three specialty restaurants (French, Asian & Italian) correct?

2)  Does a Penthouse suite get top priority in making specialty reservations?

2) We've never been to SA but have read the "shake or lake" comments.  Given it could be choppy would it be recommended to get a Penthouse suite on 7?  Are most Penthouse suites in the center of the ship?

3) Is the Antarctica component recommended?    What is it like?

4) Away from the Antarctic part  how are the other SA excursions?

Many Thanks

Couple of answers. We’ve been on the Marina Rio to Santiago and will be this year Miami to Buenos Aires. In PHs. 
you get to preselect your reservations about 15 days prior to Concierge group and earlier by ?30?  than regular cabins. 
I think your 23-24 cruise will benefit from the complete remodel of the cabins. You will appreciate the extra room and closet space!  As to deck, being on the same deck as the Executive Lounge is a nice perk. The deck plans are easily available online. Consult with your TA. 

ChadnKate,

Just book it because these limited SA sailings do sell out, especially for more desireable staterooms. You can always swap or cancel a booking. If you have an On Board Booking available, swap it for a cheap deposit.  
We are booked on a January 18, 2023 Buenos Aires to Santiago sailing in a PH on Deck 10. Our sailing also includes an Antarctica sail bye. 
There are 8 of us traveling on this trip and we have also added the Iguazzu Falls Pre/Post Tour as friends have raved about that experience. We will share our thoughts and experiences with our CC friends in January.

Ciao, Mauibabes 

35 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

ChadnKate,

Just book it because these limited SA sailings do sell out, especially for more desireable staterooms. You can always swap or cancel a booking. If you have an On Board Booking available, swap it for a cheap deposit.  
We are booked on a January 18, 2023 Buenos Aires to Santiago sailing in a PH on Deck 10. Our sailing also includes an Antarctica sail bye. 
There are 8 of us traveling on this trip and we have also added the Iguazzu Falls Pre/Post Tour as friends have raved about that experience. We will share our thoughts and experiences with our CC friends in January.

Ciao, Mauibabes 

Thank you Mauibabes.  Is this your first Antarctica sail bye?  If you would be so kind as to give an update on the Antarctica portion of your 1/23 cruise it would be greatly appreciated.   We're very interested in the Lima > Buenos Aires cruises but are a bit leery given some of the feedback on "sail byes".  Many Thanks

Definitely will. We selected this sailing at the suggestion of Jennifer, our O Club Ambassador as we too were concerned about the seas. We know the motion of the ocean is always a roll of the dice but the January timeline is supposed to be better than later in the season.  We will just 🙏👍🤞🤙 and take our chances. Only once have we had any motion issues, a North Sea sailing into the Shetland Islands got my DW,  50 mph winds and 20’ waves. We have not had issues on Marina or Riviera so we are going into this trip betting on a “lake” sailing. 
Ciao, Mauibabes

On 5/16/2022 at 7:14 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

Great information thank you.  I really should have just checked the Oceania deck plans, sorry for asking.  Great to know on the executive lounge tho.

This is always hard to sort out and I know it will upset the Oceania faithful 😡 (I'll put on a football helmet) but I've read some complaints about the MDR food & service.  Sounds like you guys have a lot of experience on Oceania what is your experience on the MDR?  We like our food and its important to us. 

I just saw this comment and I don't have the time to go through two more pages of comments, so I'll just briefly (I hope) join in here.  We, too, have seen complaints about food/service in the Grand Dining Room but personally haven't experienced such problems.  The food has always been good (especially for breakfast in our opinion, but equally good for lunch and dinner).

We always check the menus in advance.  Many of the courses offered in the GDR will be available as well in Terrace (the buffet restaurant).  You can also make special requests in the various restaurants with advance notice.  Like if you have dietary restrictions or even special requests for a preferred dish.  They will accommodate you if  they can.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New to Oceania here but considering a Marina cruise in late 2024 to South America, 42 days in total.  The difference in price between a Penthouse and Concierge Level Veranda is significant and trying to determine if worth it.  I know the Penthouse is about 1/2 again larger than Concierge Veranda, and that's not really important to us because it's still a "room" but what else makes it worth your while to spend the extra $$.

Is there a specific area of staterooms on the Marina where internet access is better? Bow/Aft/Middle?  

If in a Concierge is it very difficult to book the specialties after Penthouse's have had their chance? 

Are butlers all that helpful?  We've had them many times on Celebrity and didn't really utilize their services much.  

Are some "Concierge" rooms better than others?  Same with Penthouse?

Any help you can provide is appreciated while we try to make up our mind on what room to book.

• Like 2

Hi Gracie,

first off, whatever level you book you will have a wonderful time!  Don’t stress too much. 
I’ve not been in a PH on Marina, but I was in one on the smaller ships. I can tell you everything in a PH on the larger ships will be bigger. 
The walk in closet is an amenity that will be very useful on a 42 day cruise. 
Having dinner in your suite is a great PH perk. Served by your butler, course by course, is heaven after a long day on shore or just because you feel like having your own private dining room. 
Pre cruise dining reservations are available to PH first and you would also have the added benefit of a butler to assist if you would like addition ones. 
Butlers on O are usually superb!  I can’t remember when we ever had a butler that wasn’t attentive. Their job is to make your cruise experience the best it can be, but it’s important to express your needs to them. 
I’m sure others can make additional comments and give you ideas as to the best PH suite or concierge cabins. 
good luck!

k

• Like 3

Gracie,

In 6 months I will be able to tell you based on our personal experience as we sail on Marina from Buenos Aires to Santiago January 18. We are in a PH and our experience whether on Marina or Riviera or any of the R ships, the PH has been great 👍🤪🥂 Our butlers, as was said ,do their best to make your cruise special. They know it cost more and want you back in a PH on a future cruise. We have made many friends of the staff and anytime we are on the same ship with them, they find us and it is like “old home week”. If you are friendly with them, they will definitely reciprocate and then some. 
As far as the Specialty restaurant booking on board, we had a reservation any night we wanted one, no limits. On our last couple of longer cruises, 35 and 46 days, we probably ate in a Specialty restaurant 80-90% of the time and there were always 6-8 of us and he always made it happen.  While they have special relationships with the Maitre d’s, you too can build one on the longer trips, at least that is our experience. He had a table for 6 waiting for us in Polo every night but then when the ship was 40-60-90% full that can make it easier to accomplish. 
Is it worth it, everyone has to make their own decisions but my DW has tasted the Champagne and I find it very difficult to suggest we drop back to an A or B Veranda but there is NOTHING wrong with them. 
Just go and enjoy what Oceania has to offer and I would expect many superlatives in your future posts.  We are quite used to talking to guests and friends who have left Princess, HAL, and Celebrity and been very pleased with the move, not going back!  
Ciao, Mauibabes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Gracie,

In 6 months I will be able to tell you based on our personal experience as we sail on Marina from Buenos Aires to Santiago January 18. We are in a PH and our experience whether on Marina or Riviera or any of the R ships, the PH has been great 👍🤪🥂 Our butlers, as was said ,do their best to make your cruise special. They know it cost more and want you back in a PH on a future cruise. We have made many friends of the staff and anytime we are on the same ship with them, they find us and it is like “old home week”. If you are friendly with them, they will definitely reciprocate and then some. 
As far as the Specialty restaurant booking on board, we had a reservation any night we wanted one, no limits. On our last couple of longer cruises, 35 and 46 days, we probably ate in a Specialty restaurant 80-90% of the time and there were always 6-8 of us and he always made it happen.  While they have special relationships with the Maitre d’s, you too can build one on the longer trips, at least that is our experience. He had a table for 6 waiting for us in Polo every night but then when the ship was 40-60-90% full that can make it easier to accomplish. 
Is it worth it, everyone has to make their own decisions but my DW has tasted the Champagne and I find it very difficult to suggest we drop back to an A or B Veranda but there is NOTHING wrong with them. 
Just go and enjoy what Oceania has to offer and I would expect many superlatives in your future posts.  We are quite used to talking to guests and friends who have left Princess, HAL, and Celebrity and been very pleased with the move, not going back!  
Ciao, Mauibabes 

Thank you for this.  We have wanted to try Oceania for a long time and it looks like this will be the time.

4 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

New to Oceania here but considering a Marina cruise in late 2024 to South America, 42 days in total.  The difference in price between a Penthouse and Concierge Level Veranda is significant and trying to determine if worth it.  I know the Penthouse is about 1/2 again larger than Concierge Veranda, and that's not really important to us because it's still a "room" but what else makes it worth your while to spend the extra $$.

Is there a specific area of staterooms on the Marina where internet access is better? Bow/Aft/Middle?  

If in a Concierge is it very difficult to book the specialties after Penthouse's have had their chance? 

Are butlers all that helpful?  We've had them many times on Celebrity and didn't really utilize their services much.  

Are some "Concierge" rooms better than others?  Same with Penthouse?

Any help you can provide is appreciated while we try to make up our mind on what room to book.

My personal experience is that I wouldn't put the Concierge cabin in the mix. If I wasn't going for the PH I would drop down to a B3 extended balcony, (or are they B2 now?) Other than the laundry and the earlier booking for specialties(which is not a dealbreaker) I can't see the benefit of the Concierge level. Same exact cabin as B4-B1. The lounge is no real benefit.  To the best of my knowledge on the Marina & Riviera there are no special(different) cabins. There are special cabins in the PH level and also in the B3. The special PH rooms I think are on deck 7 at the rear port & starboard. 

If you're ok doing your own laundry in the free laundry rooms, then I can't see a need for the Concierge room. Is there some reason you are considering it? 

• Like 3

Gracie115, we did the Marina South America cruise, December 2019-January 2020, and it absolutely was one of our favorite cruises ever.  I can only echo everything that mauibabes said.  I do want to note one thing for you to consider.  South America is not Europe in the sense that all ports are tourist ready.  Tourism is not that big of an industry yet in some countries, so do not always expect cafes along the waterside or high end shopping areas.  Most small ports that specialize in cargo operations are often gateways to beautiful national parks or areas and towns of interest further inland.  Do some internet research while you have the time and look for private guides that can take you beyond the pier.  For instance, a Puerto Montt stop gives you access to the Osorno Volcano, the lakeside town of Puerto Varas, and the Alerce Andino National Park.  We had a guide that managed to squeeze all three into one day.  We found these to be a bit more interesting than Puerto Montt itself. But, again, I cannot say too much about how beautiful South America is, how well the people treated us, how cosmopolitan it can be in the bigger cities, and how the peasant-in-a-donkey cart image that we sometimes have of South America is so wrong.  Good luck, I hope that you decide to do it.  It will be a grand experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanoverian said:

Gracie115, we did the Marina South America cruise, December 2019-January 2020, and it absolutely was one of our favorite cruises ever.  I can only echo everything that mauibabes said.  I do want to note one thing for you to consider.  South America is not Europe in the sense that all ports are tourist ready.  Tourism is not that big of an industry yet in some countries, so do not always expect cafes along the waterside or high end shopping areas.  Most small ports that specialize in cargo operations are often gateways to beautiful national parks or areas and towns of interest further inland.  Do some internet research while you have the time and look for private guides that can take you beyond the pier.  For instance, a Puerto Montt stop gives you access to the Osorno Volcano, the lakeside town of Puerto Varas, and the Alerce Andino National Park.  We had a guide that managed to squeeze all three into one day.  We found these to be a bit more interesting than Puerto Montt itself. But, again, I cannot say too much about how beautiful South America is, how well the people treated us, how cosmopolitan it can be in the bigger cities, and how the peasant-in-a-donkey cart image that we sometimes have of South America is so wrong.  Good luck, I hope that you decide to do it.  It will be a grand experience.

Thank you for your comments. We will certainly look beyond the ports.  I really don't care about shopping or cafes and DO want to see some of the beauty that I know is there.  We spent 10 days in Peru a few years back and it was wonderful.  I'm excited about this trip and we have pretty much decided it is a go for us!!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 5:18 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

I'm sure I could dig thru the comments and find the answers to many of these questions but if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

We are considering a Penthouse suite on the 24 day December Christmas (2023/2024) cruises from Lima to Buenos Aires which includes a visit to Antarctica.

1)  A Penthouse suite gets 2 reservations on this cruise for each of the three specialty restaurants (French, Asian & Italian) correct?

2)  Does a Penthouse suite get top priority in making specialty reservations?

2) We've never been to SA but have read the "shake or lake" comments.  Given it could be choppy would it be recommended to get a Penthouse suite on 7?  Are most Penthouse suites in the center of the ship?

3) Is the Antarctica component recommended?    What is it like?

4) Away from the Antarctic part  how are the other SA excursions?

Many Thanks

The Penthouses on 7 are my favorite, the ones in the stern. Extra large decks as well. We are hooked on them. In fact, have one booked for July 2023.

You also will have a butler who can get you extra reservations in the specialty restaurants and can even serve them course by course in your stateroom, which has a lovely table.

• Like 1