Sorry...More Covid Confusion

Just now, cruisingator2 said:

If you do use the Binax sold by RCI, check with your airline. American was refusing this test in Barcelona and refused those flying back to the U.S with the negative results and American was selling the same test on their website. 

This is incorrect.  The thread detailing this issue was removed from the Celebrity boards.  The issue actually was a person trying to get an American Airlines gate agent in Barcelona to help them with their eMed or Navica password.  The agent told the person the test box they had in hand would not be accepted.  What was lost in translation was the test would have been accepted if the person had the email or QR code results.  The agent did not understand the test box being shown them was a proctored test.

To reiterate the proctored tests sold on Royal and Celebrity’s websites are accepted by the airlines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Royal Caribbean provides the service to passengers returning to foreign ports. Most people will take advantage of it so they aren’t scrambling at the airport. Obviously some people don’t know how things work. Absolutely nothing shady. 

But they don't provide any assistance if you test positive.  Just want to make sure people understand that.

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Not an option...but thanks.

We were supposed to be flying to Naples next Saturday spending close to three weeks in Italy including a cruise but we decided even with travel insurance and Celebrity extending Covid assistance it wasn’t worth the risk. Too many things could go wrong and that’s a huge chance with spending so much money. Luckily we could use the CWC on Celebrity and United issued us a travel certificate for the full amount good until 12/31/23. All other items could be easily canceled without penalty. We will either go early next year minus the cruise depending on where we are with the virus. 

Good luck with your trip. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

This is incorrect.  The thread detailing this issue was removed from the Celebrity boards.  The issue actually was a person trying to get an American Airlines gate agent in Barcelona to help them with their eMed or Navica password.  The agent told the person the test box they had in hand would not be accepted.  What was lost in translation was the test would have been accepted if the person had the email or QR code results.  The agent did not understand the test box being shown them was a proctored test.

To reiterate the proctored tests sold on Royal and Celebrity’s websites are accepted by the airlines.

Thanks for the clarification. Up until what I read the OP on that thread had stated differently.

Guest TopoChico

I’m more than happy to apologize if I’m wrong. 
As I understood, OP knows if they test positive at the airport, bill for quarantine is on them.
If they test before walking off, they’re questioning if Royal will pay. 

Perhaps I’m wrong but it seems disingenuous to attempt to get Royal to foot the bill.

Guest TopoChico

I hope you enjoy your cruise and don’t get Covid.
 And if you do, I hope you don’t have to pay a dime for your quarantine. 

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I have a Geo Blue policy but am concerned this won't cover if testing positive and asymptomatic .

We also have Geo Blue and pretty sure I read back in January when we bough new policy for the year it does Not cover covid quarantine unless you need medical attention.    So even if you have mild symptoms there isnt much of anything that is done to treat.     GeoBlue is great policy to have if you need medical attention while traveling.     

Might be time to look into a travel policy that covers quarantine.   Lots of discussion with valuable information on the insurance thread on CC.     

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yes...Steve helped me to purchase our Geo Blue annual policy. I'll give him a call...thanks.

My Trawick annual policy covers Covid. I understand you have a policy, and I don’t know if you could even purchase a new policy this close in that would cover you, but food for thought. 

• Thanks 1

It seems to me there are separate issues to consider when considering potential asymptomatic (or mildly symptomatic) covid quarantine after a cruise (or vacation): there is the time/inconvenience/unpleasantness of the quarantine to consider and there is the separate issue of cost of quarantine.  We have not scheduled overseas trips that require re-entry testing because of the former; even if the costs are covered, the idea of being stuck in quarantine (potentially double length if one test positive at beginning, then the other at after one quarantine cycle). If that risk does not deter you and it is about costs, then you need to assess you insurance situation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1