Should I change our return home flight?

nlb105015

We are cruising Alaska in September from Vancouver. Out return home flight leaves Vancouver at 1:43 pm day of disembarkation. With right now having to get Covid testing to re-enter the US should we change to flying the next day? I know we can get tested at Vancouver airport but would we be cutting it close?  If flying the same day what time should we get to the airport?  We have not flown in 47 years so a lot of changes have happened. 

September?

I wouldn't. You already made the reservations. Who knows what requirements will be in place by September.

Now, if one would have thought about it prior to making the reservations, one might have considered staying an extra day or two in Vancouver post cruise just in case there was any SNAFU. But, after having already made the reservations? Roll with it.

Who knows what the situation will be in Sept? Perhaps by then you won't need a test to return home. But you could bring your own proctored tests and do them after disembarking using data on your phone if you can't find a place close by with fast enough wifi. 

Currently the major Canadian airports are dealing with staff shortages,  so lines for check in, security, and US Customs preclearance are REALLY slow. I think Air Canada is recommending arriving 3 hours  before your flight. What time is the ship due to arrive? You'll likely want to plan for the earliest disembarkation. 

1 hour ago, nlb105015 said:

We are cruising Alaska in September from Vancouver. Out return home flight leaves Vancouver at 1:43 pm day of disembarkation. With right now having to get Covid testing to re-enter the US should we change to flying the next day? I know we can get tested at Vancouver airport but would we be cutting it close?  If flying the same day what time should we get to the airport?  We have not flown in 47 years so a lot of changes have happened. 

Is the ship doing testing before  your disembark for those that need a test to fly home?

Rules could change by Sept 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mom says said:

Who knows what the situation will be in Sept? Perhaps by then you won't need a test to return home. But you could bring your own proctored tests and do them after disembarking using data on your phone if you can't find a place close by with fast enough wifi. 

Currently the major Canadian airports are dealing with staff shortages,  so lines for check in, security, and US Customs preclearance are REALLY slow. I think Air Canada is recommending arriving 3 hours  before your flight. What time is the ship due to arrive? You'll likely want to plan for the earliest disembarkation. 

cruise arrives back to Vancouver at 6 am, so I think we could get early enough departure to get to the airport, get test prior to boarding at what 1.

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Is the ship doing testing before  your disembark for those that need a test to fly home?

Rules could change by Sept 

I have not been able to find if they are doing any testing.

Just now, nlb105015 said:

what cruise line?

If they are doing them now  it could change by Sept  

If you have to pay a fee to change the flight  may as well book one for the next day  if you are going to worry  for the next few months

JMO

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

what cruise line?

If they are doing them now  it could change by Sept  

If you have to pay a fee to change the flight  may as well book one for the next day  if you are going to worry  for the next few months

JMO

the cruise is on Celebrity . I have just sent an email about this.  Hopefully they will respond in a few days.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nlb105015 said:

...September ... return home flight leaves Vancouver at 1:43 pm day of disembarkation. With right now having to get Covid testing to re-enter the US should we change to flying the next day?

1:43 pm, even if it was right now, you'd be fine - the airport is <45mins drive, disembark even by 9am and you should be at YVR early enough to deal with a 3 hour delay... by September the security staff situation will very likely be better, even if not fully fixed; Covid testing to come home may no longer be needed removing another link from the chain; and if it still remains in place you will have an entire summer of reports from other cruisers about using ship internet or cellphones or free WiFi in Victoria or Vancouver to enable good quality, informed decisions to be made.

But if you have the option to stay longer - yes, of course you should! Vancouver is awesome, you're already here, there's more stuff to do than in every AK coastal port pout together, and while we're rather pricey by Canadian standards your dollar gives you about a 30% discount across the board in real terms so we're still pretty cheap for you!

• Like 1

Based on your timing, you'll probably be fine ... technically.  I travel with a nervous nelly, so I would spend the night in Vancouver, just because he's more comfortable.   We never fly home the day of arrival, and I always am so glad that all I have to do is get to the hotel and hit the streets for some sightseeing instead of dealing with the flight home.  Check with your airline to see if you can change your tix without a fee, and also what the new fare might be.  Airfares are insane right now, so even if there's no fee you might not want to move the flight.  If you haven't flown lately, it's going to be quite a culture shock and you might want to build in a nice 24-hour break in Vancouver to make the transition between your lovely cruise and the process of getting home on an airplane.

I think we all know that nobody knows what the virus requirements might be in September.  I've heard that 'they' have millions of tests to sell, so that testing at the border will be in effect for quite some time. 

6 hours ago, nlb105015 said:

I join those that think you will be fine with that return flight schedule. 

The following is copied from celebrities web site.  You should still confirm of course.  

"All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required." 

• Like 1

We are also cruising in September out/in Vancouver but on RCI. I feel comfortable with our 1:20pm flight. We'll use the proctored test onboard day before cruise ends if still necessary by then. As of right now RCI isn't offering to do onboard testing and I doubt that will change. I just know what a mad rush disembarking at Canada Place can be and am hoping to avoid having to test there.

• Like 1

Well very late last night I realized we are in Victoria the day before disembarkation and we can get the test done there so I worry no more. When it is closer to cruise time I will make appointments for us in Victoria. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

You haven't flown in 47 years? Wow.  

Yeah, we moved a few months after getting married and so went to the new place, found a place to live, I flew home and packed, then he flew home and the next day we drove to the new place. And none of our vacations ever had us flying.

most lines that offer the testing for debarkation do it the day before   so you  are not waiting for test results in the morning with all the other stuff going on 🙄

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

most lines that offer the testing for debarkation do it the day before   so you  are not waiting for test results in the morning with all the other stuff going on 🙄

Unfortunately many are now opting out of these offered onboard tests. RCI is...and am very disappointed at this change.

14 hours ago, nlb105015 said:

Well very late last night I realized we are in Victoria the day before disembarkation and we can get the test done there so I worry no more. When it is closer to cruise time I will make appointments for us in Victoria. 

Good plan.

make an appointment for the test as soon as possible. Others are finding them fully booked up at the airport recently. 
if you need to do it in Vancouver you can book at Canada Place or Fairmont hotel where they take appointments for Covid tests, near pier.