Looking for advice about how to deal with the family of an unvaccinated teen

MisterOJ2

Given the current situation, not only is the mandate Carnival's, but many ports of call would not allow the unvaccinated teen to get off the ship. So...there's that information to throw into the mix.  I'd talk to the friend's parents NOW.

Tell mom now. Honestly, I would never have agreed to travel with an unvaccinated minor. Way too much risk. If the kid isn't 18 soon enough to get the vaccine , it looks like her mom's need to adhere to a political stance or be "right" will cost her the trip. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, mz-s said:

You do not need to sugar coat it. Carnival is clear on their COVID policies page that they will be operating under their vaccinated cruises rule through the end of the year. So the vaccine requirement is not going to be lifted until then at the earliest, and it is unlikely that this 17 year old will be able to secure an exception. So you probably never should have booked them on the cruise.

edit: perhaps Carnival has taken the date off, I could have sworn at one point the page said through December 2022, but now it just says until further notice. In any event, the rest of my post stands.

They originally said through AT LEAST December 2022. It's definitely not going anywhere any time soon. I have heard form people in the industry 2024. 

1 hour ago, Bers said:

No one should get a medical procedure just to take a cruise. We need to stop letting other people decide what goes into our bodies because someone is holding a vacation/job/venue outing/etc. hostage. And at 17, it's a perfect time to teach her this. 

You have already agreed to this arrangement, uncertain as it is. If you force the issue now, you're going back on your word, and your daughter will see this. When the drop-dead date rolls around and Carnival's mandate hasn't changed, and she isn't vaccinated, that's when the conversation should be had.  

Agreed, No one should get a medical procedure just to take a cruise."

But this child is unvaccinated and could cause issues with the family who will be her chaperones.  As such, they have every right to 'go back on their word' IMO.  It is their vacation that she has been asked to join.  If the fact that she is unvaccinated by her choice or her parents is going to cause issues on the cruise, then personally I would tell her and her mother, that she is no longer welcome due to that fact.   

• Like 2

Sorry if this was already said I will admit I did not read all the responses because they seemed to all take the same hardline approach. I suspect you were looking for perhaps a more diplomatic approach than my way or the highway.

Another option is to apply for the vaccine exemption. Cruise lines now may sail with 10% unvaccinated and that only includes those eligible so very young children are not in that calculation. Also that is not well advertised so I bet it would be easier to get than one would think.

It does come with extra costs like additional testing and trip insurance. Perhaps bring that part up to the parents and if they are unwilling to come up with that extra money, well you tried to make it work. Put the ball back in their court.

19 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Sorry if this was already said I will admit I did not read all the responses because they seemed to all take the same hardline approach. I suspect you were looking for perhaps a more diplomatic approach than my way or the highway.

Yeah, definitely avoid "my way or the highway".  Make it clear it is Carnival's policy.

19 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Another option is to apply for the vaccine exemption. Cruise lines now may sail with 10% unvaccinated and that only includes those eligible so very young children are not in that calculation. Also that is not well advertised so I bet it would be easier to get than one would think.

It does come with extra costs like additional testing and trip insurance. Perhaps bring that part up to the parents and if they are unwilling to come up with that extra money, well you tried to make it work. Put the ball back in their court.

"Put the ball back in their court"

Absolutely this.  Perhaps let the parents know it looks like the requirement is not going to change and she will not be allowed to board without being fully vaccinated.   Some people get vaccine exception and they could look into that if they wanted.   Because several weeks must elapse before someone can be fully vaccinated, it might be a good idea to think about how you want to proceed.  I certainly wouldn't want you to lose your down payment.  Let us know how you want to proceed.    

Something to be considered….we know folks have tested positive while ON cruises, even if they have tested negative prior to embarkation.  
AND as an unvaccinated person, she is at greater risk to become ill if she comes in contact with CoVid.
What will happen if this young lady gets sick during your cruise?

Will you take some self-tests to be able to screen whether this might be CoVid?

And if it IS, remember YOU are responsible for her well-being on this trip.

Will you report her illness to medical on the ship?

Are you prepared for that, and whatever you will have to do as a result of an ill dependent child on the ship?

If reported, my understanding is your daughter might need to quarantine with her as her roommate.  
Not sure what they do about minors having to quarantined in an area away from where their family is. 
And then how will you travel home?

There are a TON of what-ifs that you should consider in the situation, ESPECIALLY with an un-vaxxed dependent.  
And you may have already thought all of this out, and if so, well done!

YOU know best what YOU are comfortable with and prepared to do. 
YOU will decide what is best for your family.

Best of luck to you.

We ALL want you to have a great cruise vacation! 

Just let her medical decisions be between her and her family.

If you don't want to take an unvaxed minor with you, don't.

My 23 year old niece let herself finally get talked into getting vaxxed for a job, a week ago.

She then had (they think at this point) a heart attack and she is currently in a coma.

So I don't think anybody should be telling other people's children if they should be vaxxed.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Just let her medical decisions be between her and her family.

If you don't want to take an unvaxed minor with you, don't.

My 23 year old niece let herself finally get talked into getting vaxxed for a job, a week ago.

She then had (they think at this point) a heart attack and she is currently in a coma.

So I don't think anybody should be telling other people's children if they should be vaxxed.

Imagine what life would be like today if we had left it up to families to decide on vaccination from polio and measles.... the reality is there's a lot of stupid people, which is why we're left with narratives that vaccines aren't safe and cause heart attacks, etc. -- even when there's absolutely no reliable evidence justify such claims.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Itried4498 said:

Imagine what life would be like today if we had left it up to families to decide on vaccination from polio and measles.... the reality is there's a lot of stupid people, which is why we're left with narratives that vaccines aren't safe and cause heart attacks, etc. -- even when there's absolutely no reliable evidence justify such claims.  

You left out smallpox. We could have all been wiped out.

A few years ago, there was a measles outbreak in parts of my state due to a "religious" exemption as well as a medical exemption allowed for enrolling in school. The NY legislature passed and the then governor signed a bill doing away with the "religious" exemption. The anti-vaxxers of course appealed it, but the state's highest court allowed the law to stand citing the state's power to protect health.

And before you say its my personal decision who else does it affect, there is a youngster who is our son's Godson in all but official name who is immunocompromised. He can skip the measles vaccine as long as there is herd immunity. His parents had to decide whether to expose him to the measles outbreak or a shot that might negatively affect him. They chose the latter as the less dangerous, and luckily it worked out. They should never have had to make that choice, and now don't thanks to the new law.

• Like 1