The Retreat is not living up to its hype and we haven't even sailed.

Minniebug

OP...

You will be getting a Suite,  but not the E Class Retreat experience of EDGE, APEX & BEYOND. And pre refurb of Solstice,  it will apparently not  be like the  Retreat updates  on other ships.

If the RETREAT experience and ohysucal features  are what you desire...postpone Solstice, or switch to EDGE or APEX.  Sounds like the experience matters more than itin and dates so an adjustment, if possible,  sounds best.

What you have booked may turn out great but will not be what you wanted or expected when you booked.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:45 PM, twodjs said:

Until Celebrity actually creates a "retreat" space up on the Solstice deck at the front of the ship, they shouldn't call a suite booking "The Retreat". It makes no sense. On the Solstice a suite booking comes with access to the Luminae restaurant and Michael's Club. Period. It has been this way since shortly after the Solstice was built and they carved Luminae out of the MDR. I can see where a cruiser would be completely mislead seeing all the glitsy shots of the Edge-class ships and fully expecting that Retreat experience on any Celebrity ship. And since Celebrity hasn't maintained Solstice cabin interiors, fully expecting to rip them out during the the remodel, the reality may be a huge disappointment. Celebrity has overhyped the space and it is best that you cancel if you still can. Look to the future and book Beyond instead. 

The Retreat Sun Deck is just a minor part of the overall Retreat experience, unless you are a sun worshipper, it is totally useless. We sailed last year on the partially Revolutionized Equinox and in 9 days we never visited the Retreat sun deck after the first day, too hot and hardly any shade. My days of laying in the sun are long over at my age. 

We have a 10-day Italy cruise in August on the non revolutionized Reflection but we booked a Sky Suite for the Suites only restaurant, lounge, Butler and the Retreat service which out classes all other mainstream cruise lines.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

On 5/17/2022 at 4:02 PM, Minniebug said:

Besides being told twice that the Solstice has been revolutionized in great detail by one associate, then confirmed by a second associate, only to find out that it was not true. Disappointed to say the least. Expectations were high, now the bar has been lowered dramatically. Then the boards indicate that the Premium Internet Access is hardly working. Not good when you need to do some work on vacation.

Three calls to the dedicated Retreat line to get the email with the luggage tags and the Supervisor Christine says it's up to the Documents Department and we have to wait or fill them out at the pier. She can only send them an email request. They no longer mail the luggage tags and I'm all for saving them money after the horrendous two years they've experienced because of the pandemic, but come on... Seriously. It's an email. Just get it done. I guess the Supervisor in the Retreat has no phone number to the Documents Department Supervisor. I just hung up because I don't want confrontation with already overwhelmed staff. Regardless, it's exasperating.

Prior to paying for the cruise, I caught an error with the Port Charges and their computer system was doubling our port charges. I actually booked another cruise in a Suite next to mine and several others to make sure I was correct and backed out of the reservations. They finally got it corrected and it was implied that they were doing me a favor. What?

I can't wait to experience the cruise. NOT!

I like to maintain a positive attitude, but when it's bad before departure it's usually bad all the way through.

Surely, I know that many companies are having issues finding staff and I can tell you that the representatives are not up to the task. One call I had with a very nice associate said he was a bartender, so it appears that they are training onboard crew not currently at sea to take phone calls. In fact, this can be a very good idea, all hands-on deck,' so to speak, efficient, etc.; however, maybe not because he was one of the associates that confirmed the revolution of the Solstice.

Currently, I have no idea if any questions I asked were answered correctly. So, I fully expect not to have a smooth trip.

So far, so bad.

OMG - I just couldn't tolerate all that inefficiency............Really!  Stay home!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/17/2022 at 4:02 PM, Minniebug said:

Besides being told twice that the Solstice has been revolutionized in great detail by one associate, then confirmed by a second associate, only to find out that it was not true. Disappointed to say the least. Expectations were high, now the bar has been lowered dramatically. Then the boards indicate that the Premium Internet Access is hardly working. Not good when you need to do some work on vacation.

Three calls to the dedicated Retreat line to get the email with the luggage tags and the Supervisor Christine says it's up to the Documents Department and we have to wait or fill them out at the pier. She can only send them an email request. They no longer mail the luggage tags and I'm all for saving them money after the horrendous two years they've experienced because of the pandemic, but come on... Seriously. It's an email. Just get it done. I guess the Supervisor in the Retreat has no phone number to the Documents Department Supervisor. I just hung up because I don't want confrontation with already overwhelmed staff. Regardless, it's exasperating.

Prior to paying for the cruise, I caught an error with the Port Charges and their computer system was doubling our port charges. I actually booked another cruise in a Suite next to mine and several others to make sure I was correct and backed out of the reservations. They finally got it corrected and it was implied that they were doing me a favor. What?

I can't wait to experience the cruise. NOT!

I like to maintain a positive attitude, but when it's bad before departure it's usually bad all the way through.

Surely, I know that many companies are having issues finding staff and I can tell you that the representatives are not up to the task. One call I had with a very nice associate said he was a bartender, so it appears that they are training onboard crew not currently at sea to take phone calls. In fact, this can be a very good idea, all hands-on deck,' so to speak, efficient, etc.; however, maybe not because he was one of the associates that confirmed the revolution of the Solstice.

Currently, I have no idea if any questions I asked were answered correctly. So, I fully expect not to have a smooth trip.

So far, so bad.

You won't be happy about anything now.  You have already made up your mind.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I may be wrong but I often find that people in the least expensive suites believe they will get a regal treatment that may be reserved for the upper suites.   The reality is Retreat Class was a marketing ploy when they added SS to being able to use the Retreat.

I often travel in Upper Suites as well as in Sky Suites and sometime Aqua, and have never felt that they were not living up to their committeemen.   I also when traveling in a Sky Suite have the expectation that I will be given the same attentive service as when in a RS or PS.    That's the way it is on a ship as well as hotels, airlines etc etc.

• Like 4

Shore is not Ship.

Ship has never yet disappointed me, regardless of being in the Retreat or elsewhere, Shore is not the same and really should not be regarded as such.

The magic happens when you step onboard...

• Like 3

Don't get the insistance on having luggage tags mailed to you. It takes maybe 30 seconds to print them out and Amazon has great plastic tag holders with metal ties. So easy...Seriously!

• Like 1

I'm already booked for the Summit from Boston to Quebec City in October and next April on the Transatlantic Apex to Amsterdam. So the Solstice Alaska will be like a test. Knock on wood.

The pre cruise experience has been confusing.  I understand that we are in a pandemic. Conditions are constantly changing.  Rather than complaining, relax and just go along.  Of course, there have been changes that are annoying.  Just make the most of a tenuous situation .  My only concern is getting Covid.  I can accept some frustration.  It beats staying home. Need a change.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, twodjs said:

Don't get the insistance on having luggage tags mailed to you. It takes maybe 30 seconds to print them out and Amazon has great plastic tag holders with metal ties. So easy...Seriously!

I neither have them mailed nor printed out. It takes me a mere minute to see a porter, show my express pass and the bag is on the way. That would be the least of my worries.

If OP was under the impression that Solstice is a renovated vessel that comes with E-Class RETREAT amenities and those are important I can't stress enough that a rebooking to another itinerary might be best course of action. Not sure what amount of money is involved here but since Suites aren't cheap I'd guess $5000+ and Solstice isn't worth that kind of cash in it's current condition.

I'm already booked for the Summit from Boston to Quebec City in October and next April on the Transatlantic Apex to Amsterdam. So the Solstice Alaska will be like a test. Knock on wood.