FBC QUESTIONS

Oskial

I know that I could call Celebrity and ask these questions, but I think I may get the more accurate answers from here.  We have always booked our own flights when traveling in the past but have now thought about using Celebrity instead.  We normally book a hotel in Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise just in case "things happen".  Nothing has ever been a problem before but the extra expense of a room plus a taxi or shuttle to the port can be eliminated if we don't have to go that way.   Celebrity can get me a flight from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale for the same price that I can get it but it leaves the same day as the cruise.   Will Celebrity guarantee that I make the cruise on time if I book through them?  Will they (do they) provide a shuttle to the port from the airport?  Should we anticipate a significant wait time to get the shuttle to the port?  Our flight will arrive in Fort Lauderdale around 9:45 (if we book the flight I am considering) which means that after getting our bags and clearing customs it would still leave us lots of time to get to the port.  I guess that the question I am asking is "is it worth it?"  to go through the anxiety of hoping that everything goes as planned or should I spend the extra and book my own flight the day before.  

3 minutes ago, Oskial said:

I know that I could call Celebrity and ask these questions, but I think I may get the more accurate answers from here.  We have always booked our own flights when traveling in the past but have now thought about using Celebrity instead.  We normally book a hotel in Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise just in case "things happen".  Nothing has ever been a problem before but the extra expense of a room plus a taxi or shuttle to the port can be eliminated if we don't have to go that way.   Celebrity can get me a flight from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale for the same price that I can get it but it leaves the same day as the cruise.   Will Celebrity guarantee that I make the cruise on time if I book through them?  Will they (do they) provide a shuttle to the port from the airport?  Should we anticipate a significant wait time to get the shuttle to the port?  Our flight will arrive in Fort Lauderdale around 9:45 (if we book the flight I am considering) which means that after getting our bags and clearing customs it would still leave us lots of time to get to the port.  I guess that the question I am asking is "is it worth it?"  to go through the anxiety of hoping that everything goes as planned or should I spend the extra and book my own flight the day before.  

Nope - not worth the anxiety this could cause.

One instance of bad weather and you might miss the cruise.  I think you should keep to your plan of arriving a day early....Best insurance I know.

Edited by LMHSRN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, LMHSRN said:

Nope - not worth the anxiety this could cause.

One instance of bad weather and you might miss the cruise.  I think you should keep to your plan of arriving a day early....Best insurance I know.

Have to agree.   We recently (past 2 years) began arriving a day early and have really enjoyed the extension to our vacation. 

FBC does guarantee to get you to the port but don't tell you they may not be able to get you to the port on time.   I had that problem on a missed flight and my ticked was restricted on AA only .     I had to eventually buy a new ticket.

• Like 1

With all the schedule changes and flight cancellations the airlines are doing, not to mention strange weather,  I would not recommend recommend flying in the same day.  
We have cruised twice out of FLL this year both had flights were to get in a day before departure.  On both trips we had multiple schedule changes and on 1 the flight cancelled after we were at the airport and our luggage checked.  

We had to drive to another airport to get the last 2 seats on very early flight that if all went well would allow  us to get to the ship.  We could not retrieve our checked luggage until 24-48 hours after the flight cancellation was announced so we had to trust the “we will get your luggage on the 1st Flight to FLL”.  It all worked out but it was a stressful, and costly experience.  We ended up with paid parking at 2 airports, paid hotel in FLL & at new departure city and the last minute airline tickets cost us $480 more than the original air fare.

I wouldn’t risk it, especially now. The airlines haven’t yet fully ramped up after the pandemic slowdown, and weather issues can cause a cascade of flight delays and cancellations. Regardless of whether I book my own flights or use FBC, I travel to the port at least one day prior to embarkation for short flights (east coast), or at least two days prior to embarkation for longer flights (west coast, Europe etc.).

We don’t fly anymore but when we did we found getting in the day before was a lot less stressful and more relaxing.   We were able to utilize the first day on board without being dead tired.

We also found if we had the luxury to book the flight home a day after the cruise.   It gave a little insurance in case the ship was delayed getting into the port and it happened many times to us.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I think we'll continue to book on our own for a flight the day before.  The less stress idea is the best way to do any vacation.  The other thing I found with Celebrity is the flights are limited to the ones they choose.  You get more choices by doing it on your own.  The flights they had going home were not non stop and we would arrive home very late in the evening. 

This is why I enjoy using Cruise Critic for advice and thoughts.  I have learned so much from this site!  Thanks again.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oskial said:

We always do a day early...now.  We had a Princess cruise from SFO and we were flying LAS to SFO via LAX on Reno Air---tells you how long ago this was.  Everything was fine until the fog rolled into LAX delaying our flight, cancelling our connecting flight and we just got to the ship in SFO just in time.  NEVER AGAIN!

I plan two days ahead from the West coast to Florida, along with three to four days to Europe before my cruises.  In addition, I make the best decision possible, as to use FBC, or to just book myself.  Covid has created more havoc nowadays when flying period.  Anything can happen, at the most inconvenient time possible, or you can just stay home.  Is it worth it you ask?  It is worth taking your time, planning for the worst and hoping for the best scenario, or at least one that gets you to the ship, with your luggage and on time and Covid free!

Edited by Lastdance