Tamarind Question

Retired 07

The Tamarind seems to be the favorite specialty restaurant of a lot of people. We will be on the Eurodam soon, and we’re wondering what the “must try” dishes were.  I realize taste is individual, but if you could fill in the blank, My favorite dish or dishes at the Tamarind are: ………., we would really appreciate it.

• Like 1

I love the wonton soup (it's called jewels of the sea) on the appetizer menu and the crispy duck for an entree.  I've also had the baby back ribs, satay sampler, and shrimp tempura from the appetizer menu and all were good.  The wasabi tenderloin was also good, but I didn't taste any of the wasabi on it.  The food at Tamarind is fabulous, so I highly recommend trying a few of the appetizers because we haven't had anything there that we thought was bad.

• Like 1

I'll need to think about this.  I only had a few Tamarind experiences.  Off the top of my head, the Shrimp Crackers are something that I anticipate when I patronize this restaurant.  Jewels of the Sea?  That was very good.  I have not ordered a steak at this restaurant.  Just doesn't fit my concept of an Asian Fusion cuisine restaurant.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

The Thai beef salad.  I could eat that as an entree and be happy!

I'll second you on that.   I really liked it last year on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I also like the wasabi tenderloin, the baby back ribs, and the shrimp Thai basil szechuan shrimp.  

• Like 2

I really, really like the wok-seared lobster. I know it is an upcharge item, but it has been the best thing I have eaten on my last 2 cruises. Wish I had never tried it, other items are amazing too and already included in the cost and I was happy with them, but it's now like an addiction for me.

Also the spicy scallop roll from Nami is delicious.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

I really, really like the wok-seared lobster. I know it is an upcharge item, but it has been the best thing I have eaten on my last 2 cruises. Wish I had never tried it, other items are amazing too and already included in the cost and I was happy with them, but it's now like an addiction for me

I've read a LOT of wonderful reviews about the Lobster. I'll definitely be trying it next time. 🙂 

11 hours ago, Duquesmom said:

The ribs appetizer.  Delicious & a large portion.

Don't agree.  I have ordered them twice on two different ships and they were too dry for my taste.  

There really isn't any particular entree that stands out in my memory as being a "wow".  The same with the desserts, although, I do remember a Green Tea Ice Cream that I liked.  Along with the Fortune Cookies, of course.  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Don't agree.  I have ordered them twice on two different ships and they were too dry for my taste.  

There really isn't any particular entree that stands out in my memory as being a "wow".  The same with the desserts, although, I do remember a Green Tea Ice Cream that I liked.  Along with the Fortune Cookies, of course.  

That’s the problem for me as well.  All the good entrees that I enjoyed are gone along with the dessert I really liked.  The tamarind was easily my favourite for a very long time.  I used to begin and end every cruise with the tamarind.  I chose to end my last cruise at sel de mer.  Next one sel de mer beginning and ending.  I will have a meal at the tamarind but it doesn’t feel special anymore.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

sel de mer.

Sel de Mer is the winner in the specialty restaurant competition on HAL ships as far as I am concerned.  Have never been disappointed there.  Cannot say the same for the others.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Sel de Mer is the winner in the specialty restaurant competition on HAL ships as far as I am concerned.  Have never been disappointed there.  Cannot say the same for the others.  

It’s really won me over.  I can honestly say I was not impressed on my first 2 visits.  Same for Canaletto.  Hated it.  Granted it’s not as “fancy” as the others but it’s really tasty.  The last 2 visits to tamarind they were really pressuring me to give them good ratings on the survey, mention them by name and to fill in one of those let us know things through navigator.  That’s a huge turn off for me. They are lovely and I would do it anyway but when you pester me  like that it has the opposite effect.  The one that was mostly asking this was a server I’d known from  multiple ships so it wasn’t a person I’d never met.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rcriley34 said:

Well back to the OPS question now that we heard from the “I hate the food” couple, 

The Tom Kha Kai soup (Thia soup) is one of my favorites. I also really love the duck.   

Feel free to report the offending posts.  There is a very capable moderator.  There is no need to play that role.

Nothing offensive.  Just old, stale, repetitive, and subjective stuff that we have heard from you over and over and over.  We understand you don’t like the food.  Understand it after your last thousand post about it.  WE GET IT!    

Just would be nice if we could stick to the ops question.  

In that spirit,  I also can’t pass on the scallops.  I look forward to them every time I sail.  

Edited by Rcriley34
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rcriley34 said:

Nothing offensive.  Just old, stale, repetitive, and subjective stuff that we have heard from you over and over and over.  Just would be nice if we could stick to the ops question.  

In that spirit,  I also can’t pass on the scallops.  I look forward to them every time I sail.  

You could easily put me on ignore but how would hurl insults then?  What does your comment have to do with the thread other then sneaking a comment about scallops in?  Just like you said, stick to the question.

I love the tamarind soups. 

The Thai beef salad appetizer is my husband’s favorite. If they made that in a dinner portion size he’d be in heaven. I had the basil shrimp meal twice in my last cruise. I need to branch out and try more though. We loved everything we had. 

Thanks, everybody for all the suggestions.  Unfortunately it’s going to make our decisions even harder, everything sounds so good, we may have to eat at Tamarind a couple of times on our cruise!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andi Land said:

The Thai beef salad appetizer is my husband’s favorite. If they made that in a dinner portion size he’d be in heaven.

Have you asked if that could be done? I don't know if it can, but I know in the dining room you can have entrée size portions of appetizers. Tamarind might be able to do the same. 

What's the worst that can happen if you ask? They say 'sorry, no'. But! You might get a 'Certainly! Our pleasure!' 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rcriley34 said:

Well back to the OPS question now that we heard from the “I hate the food” couple, 

The Tom Kha Kai soup (Thia soup) is one of my favorites. I also really love the duck.   

I'm not sure why people have to be so upset with other people's opinions.  If you don't like it, don't read it.  No need to call people names.

• Like 2