Drink Package - Memorial Sale

Most posters seemed focused on sales for the drink packages and perhaps rightly so 😀

However, my marketing email also mentions up to 25% off Shore Excursions for Memorial Day sale.  Yet when I check on excursion prices for my Wonder of the Seas cruise in September, it doesn't appear that a single price has been lowered, at least as far as I can tell.  Granted I only recorded earlier prices of the excursions I was interested in, but I don't see any difference.  So this isn't really a sale after all?

10 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Most posters seemed focused on sales for the drink packages and perhaps rightly so 😀

However, my marketing email also mentions up to 25% off Shore Excursions for Memorial Day sale.  Yet when I check on excursion prices for my Wonder of the Seas cruise in September, it doesn't appear that a single price has been lowered, at least as far as I can tell.  Granted I only recorded earlier prices of the excursions I was interested in, but I don't see any difference.  So this isn't really a sale after all?

I checked my shore excursions and two of them did drop in price, but by less than $10.  It's not worth the risk of cancelling and rebooking as my cruise's excursions seem to be selling out quickly.  I was able to save $60 on my Voom 2-device plan by rebooking it during the sale.

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Never let others pick the wine when it is your account!!   

And your experience/norms are the perfect example of consumer behavior when one pays out of pocket versus when it is included in a bundle/package/all you can eat, etc.  Behavior is totally different depending.  

Had a friend in sales always showing off when it was on the company dime.  But when they paid their own way they would always want to split the bill evenly even though their drinks were 3-4 times more expensive.   Or they would pull the old I only have 100s, you get this tab and I’ll get it next time.  Lol.  

My clients are attorneys, and despite the generalizations, most of them are very good people.  But Lord do they know how to eat and drink!  It's okay, though, because they pay us very well for our services, and few of them complain unless it's truly warranted.  We've had 20+ year relationships with many of them.  We do not mind thanking them for their business with a good meal.

You're right about the bundled/inclusive pricing.  Not having the DBP on previous cruises, we always made sure to bring our two bottles of wine, and also grab a few cocktails in the suit lounge before and after dinner.  Now, I suspect we won't do that and will just drink whatever we want when we want.  

On 5/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, mspink98 said:

I've got the luxury (or hardship, depending on how you look at it) of almost a year before we sail next, so I'll honestly check every day or so. Doesn't take me more than a couple of minutes, and who the heck knows when RCCL might decide to surprise me. But, if this is truly the Memorial Day sale, I'm not really expecting any drop over the next few days. 

Since you have a year to go, make sure you check the Black Friday Sale and the NY Sale. Both of those is where I have always found the very best deals.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

I was just told by my TA that I would need a doctors note. She is going to check it out again but I will keep calling until they will give me 1 alcohol and 1 refresh (even though I wanted the soda and they will not do that AT ALL anymore). The nickel and diming now is ridiculous and I have had 2 cancelled cruises. Throw me a bone people lol

Are you a Crown and Anchor Member?  I always just call them, because we are Diamond, I never drink more that the 4 drinks I get for free. But my husband does, so I always call them, and husband gets the Drink package and I get the Refreshment package.  Easy peasy. Not doctor note needed.  Travel agent really needs to play catch up on this.  I have been doing it for years.  And did so on our last cruise in October 2021,

8 hours ago, topnole said:

I doubt they raise individual drink prices or by much.  They are already very high.  

They are definitely not high compared to many places.  $13 for a cocktail is cheaper than any cocktail in a standard restaurant in any of the three cities I have lived in in the past year, for example.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We aren't taking a drink package this cruise.  Seems way too expensive- the sales are overpriced.  We ordered water delivered to our stateroom and I got a coffee card.  We are also diamond members and will do fine with 4 alcoholic beverages.

Some welcome back sales.  Prices are crazy.

YES!!! The price for our October Harmony cruise is 72.99 per day. Supposedly there is a buy one get one 50% off sale. It's  $1021.86 for both of us. Even if I call and get the refreshment package for DH who doesn't drink (but prefers canned sodas), it's still ridiculous pricing. 

1 hour ago, baelor said:

They are definitely not high compared to many places.  $13 for a cocktail is cheaper than any cocktail in a standard restaurant in any of the three cities I have lived in in the past year, for example.

Was curious how much bar prices inflation is going on in my area.  So I just checked out the menu online for my favorite bar/restaurant and the hand crafted cocktails are mostly $9-10 per drink.  Beers are 4-5 for domestic and imports, and most the craft beers run from 5.5 -7.   A few are 8+, but those are typically the very potent beers.  Wines seemed to be 7-8 by the glass with what surely looked better than the cheaper wines Royal serves by the glass.  

Obviously every place varies and every bar varies.  But I live in highly populated area in Florida and this bar/restaurant is very popular, has a great food menus, makes great drinks and has great beers, and has a line out the door every weekend.  

12 hours ago, topnole said:

Obviously every place varies and every bar varies.  But I live in highly populated area in Florida and this bar/restaurant is very popular, has a great food menus, makes great drinks and has great beers, and has a line out the door every weekend.  

Sure.  And even moderately popular restaurants in the areas I am most familiar with (NY/DC/CA) have had prices that exceed $13 for cocktails and $7 for basic beers before inflation.  I was just pointing out that something being "expensive" is relative, and there are plenty of restaurants where $20 for one drink (even pre-tip) is not unusual.

19 hours ago, MCazer said:

Are you a Crown and Anchor Member?  I always just call them, because we are Diamond, I never drink more that the 4 drinks I get for free. But my husband does, so I always call them, and husband gets the Drink package and I get the Refreshment package.  Easy peasy. Not doctor note needed.  Travel agent really needs to play catch up on this.  I have been doing it for years.  And did so on our last cruise in October 2021,

Yup my TA did not know. I am not diamond but got the TA to book for me so we are good now 🙂

• Like 2

Just noticed this sale.  Funny thing is that it says 72.99 Per Person but in Red it says "BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF (PRICE REFLECTS DISCOUNT)".  A few days ago when I was looking into preordering this, it said the same price w/o that BOGO 50% off notation.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Scotico said:

Just noticed this sale.  Funny thing is that it says 72.99 Per Person but in Red it says "BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF (PRICE REFLECTS DISCOUNT)".  A few days ago when I was looking into preordering this, it said the same price w/o that BOGO 50% off notation.

That is because the "sale" is completely illusory.

I think "sale" advertising should be regulated, but until it is...

On 5/24/2022 at 1:25 PM, rebeccac said:

I know people say having a drink package is "easier", but since I would never come close to drinking enough to justify $72 per person per day, DH and I are just planning to buy a la carte.  It will likely save us several hundred dollars each for the week.  

How do we find out what the a la carte prices are?  This might work better for us?

16 minutes ago, saltcreekmom1 said:

How do we find out what the a la carte prices are?

Download the Royal app, enter all your info and then it will allow you to navigate (at the bottom of the screen a row of listings) to dinning, inclded in the listings is Bars and lounges, will show all the drinks and wine pricing for your cruise, also you can see menus etc, its quite good👍  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the upcoming RCI cruise have decided no PBP, will set myself a daily limit and pay as I go, not that I cant afford it, just know what im like if I have paid a hefty price for a package (plus a refreshment package for my wife that will get little use) I will want to get my moneys worth!, expect my body will thank me though…………….LOL

Only have one upcoming booking with RCI and maybe the last trip with them, the rest are with Princess, Holland America and Azamara, all either include beverage package or it’s a reasonable upgrade fee within your fare and I don’t mind paying it for both of us even if my wife doesn’t drink alcohol, but also sick of continually changing prices with RCI that really don’t make sense at times, all claiming 15,20, 30% or whatever discount then a week later it’s a different price and another claim of whatever discount! Its frustrating and a bit insulting, with other cruise company’s you don’t get this, you see a price that’s the price, they have a sale with say a 20% discount it makes sense, has a starting and ending time then the prices goes back to what it was.

And don’t get me started on the ridiculous every person in the cabin of drinking age has to have the PBP, sure you can call up and buy just one if you purchase the refreshment package for the other person if they don’t drink alcohol but its still a crazy policy.

Rant over!!!

• Like 3

On 5/25/2022 at 2:14 PM, sandy toes said:

Since you have a year to go, make sure you check the Black Friday Sale and the NY Sale. Both of those is where I have always found the very best deals.

Yeah, we cleaned UP on our X sailing last month during last year's Black Friday sale. I don't ever expect to do that well again, but hoping November works out a bit better for me than May has. 🙂

14 hours ago, mspink98 said:

Yeah, we cleaned UP on our X sailing last month during last year's Black Friday sale. I don't ever expect to do that well again, but hoping November works out a bit better for me than May has. 🙂

We do have July 4th and Labor Day coming up. Then, the biggie, Black Friday. Am booking when on ship next week and will monitor but especially during the larger sale dates for price drops. I do love a good bargin.

19 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

On the upcoming RCI cruise have decided no PBP, will set myself a daily limit and pay as I go, not that I cant afford it, just know what im like if I have paid a hefty price for a package (plus a refreshment package for my wife that will get little use) I will want to get my moneys worth!, expect my body will thank me though…………….LOL

Only have one upcoming booking with RCI and maybe the last trip with them, the rest are with Princess, Holland America and Azamara, all either include beverage package or it’s a reasonable upgrade fee within your fare and I don’t mind paying it for both of us even if my wife doesn’t drink alcohol, but also sick of continually changing prices with RCI that really don’t make sense at times, all claiming 15,20, 30% or whatever discount then a week later it’s a different price and another claim of whatever discount! Its frustrating and a bit insulting, with other cruise company’s you don’t get this, you see a price that’s the price, they have a sale with say a 20% discount it makes sense, has a starting and ending time then the prices goes back to what it was.

And don’t get me started on the ridiculous every person in the cabin of drinking age has to have the PBP, sure you can call up and buy just one if you purchase the refreshment package for the other person if they don’t drink alcohol but its still a crazy policy.

Rant over!!!

Best friend since college, does NOT drink anything except rare cup of tea, if tea is served, and just water. NEVER soda, says it is poison. Never alcohol, says college ruined it for her for life. And never juice, says it is empty calories and would rather eat the fruit instead. So she doesn't want ANY drink package at all. He husband ENJOYS drinking on ship. He says he makes up for all that on land sobriety. C&A has even helped them to get what works for them. I do agree, the various price changes does get old. It becomes a game of sorts, will I catch the real sale and get the best deal? 

On 5/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, topnole said:

Oh, I agree.  There is always the option not to cruise.  But for now at least, they have all the demand they need.  If folks stopped cruising because of drink prices, a lot more than drink packages would change.  

But regardless, Royal raising prices 10-30% can hardly be surprising given the massive inflation levels we face everywhere.  So many things have doubled or tripled in price which makes the inflation on drink packages seem small.  

Really haven't found inflation to be hitting booze prices in my world

On 5/26/2022 at 1:35 PM, baelor said:

That is because the "sale" is completely illusory.

I think "sale" advertising should be regulated, but until it is...

You'll never see a real sale as long as previous purchasers can get price matching. 

This applies to cruise fare as well. Just doesn't make sense

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Really haven't found inflation to be hitting booze prices in my world

I don’t buy much liquor.  But I can tell you beer prices are significantly higher at the retail stores relative to prepandemic levels.  If nothing else, cost of distribution, and other indirect costs being much higher has hit nearly every company.  Just a matter of whether they eat some or a lot of it in the hope of keeping/gaining market share while accepting a lower profit margin, or pass it on to the customers in higher prices. Every firms ability to do either will vary.