Has NCL website changed - forced to take "recommended cabin" in a category or pay more to choose?

Has anyone else noticed changes in NCL website - where, for example, prior I could look for a Balcony cabin, and the deck plan would come up, and while there would be a "recommended cabin", you could choose alternatives on the deck(s) in that category.  Now, for a few potential bookings I've looked at, it gives you a recommended cabin, no choice to move elsewhere, as if you "select a different cabin" it brings you to AFT, MID, FWD but charges about $200 a person for changing cabin?

Also, deck plans hardly visible, whole layout is now crappier than ever!

I just did a test booking and it seems to be the same as it has been recently for me.  I was able to change to a different cabin and found plenty at the same price to pick from.  Norwegian Joy in February.  Of course I was also permitted to select better location cabins for a higher price.  The deck plans looked fine to me too.  

• Like 1

Been that way for quite awhile.  Just like the airlines, they are charging extra for premium locations.  So it will take you to the cheapest balcony in the category you chose - but depending on the ship, it may cost extra to change decks or locations.

But the layout does pretty much only cover what's available in the location (fwd, mid, aft) that you've chosen.

3 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Just to confirm , you don't get the Choose a Different Stateroom option below the chosen one?

image.png.1a424b4d4823d56652fbdf61cbfb62bc.png

Yes, I see that! - but when I click "choose a different stateroom" it brings me to FWD, AFT, MID - with upcost for each choice.  no option at all to select a different cabin within same category for same price!

46 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I just did a test booking and it seems to be the same as it has been recently for me.  I was able to change to a different cabin and found plenty at the same price to pick from.  Norwegian Joy in February.  Of course I was also permitted to select better location cabins for a higher price.  The deck plans looked fine to me too.  

So I just tried Joy for 12th February - gave me a recommended balcony on Deck 8, and if I chose any other cabin, it was extra cost to view and pick any of them.  I wonder is this something to do with the EU version of the NCL site rather than US site?  Something going on!

Just now, podgeandrodge said:

Yes, I see that! - but when I click "choose a different stateroom" it brings me to FWD, AFT, MID - with upcost for each choice.  no option at all to select a different cabin within same category for same price!

I guess that means there are no other, similar priced cabins available?  First part is Forward, Mid-Ship or Aft choice, then next page should be by deck and what is available via deck plan on right side with list by price on the left.

4 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

So I just tried Joy for 12th February - gave me a recommended balcony on Deck 8, and if I chose any other cabin, it was extra cost to view and pick any of them.  I wonder is this something to do with the EU version of the NCL site rather than US site?  Something going on!

I think this is what you were just looking at?  (I am logged in as myself on the US stite)

image.thumb.png.9783156a13cea0400b61f3fd83eb7c08.png

Edited by scooter6139
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

I think this is what you were just looking at?  (I am logged in as myself on the US stite)

image.thumb.png.9783156a13cea0400b61f3fd83eb7c08.png

Yes, however I did not get $0 options - they were all about €150 for any alternative location.  so it was impossible for me to stay on my current price option and select a similar cabin on deck 8 in this example.  To note, I've tried this with a few cruises now and the same issue every time - recommended cabin provided, no alternative unless you select different location, all with increased price.  Very odd.  If someone in EU could double check that would be good.  Let's stick with your 12th Feb Norwegian Joy cruise.

I just tried this on the UK site. I picked a category and then selected choose a different stateroom. Every option had a +£xx amount next to it.

However, if I then selected a deck or room the prices weren’t increased. In fact, on one of them I seem to have selected a lower grade balcony and the price went down.

My conclusion (and this rings a bell from when I booked a few weeks ago) is that the amount it is showing an increased fare from isn’t the cabin you were originally selected. If that makes sense

So, if I pick a balcony, it recommends 9178 at a total of £1,978. If I say I want to choose another then it says mid ship is +£124. If I select that  it says deck 9 is +£137, but then if I select room 9182 the price is still £1,978.

it’s just badly presented. 

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

I have noticed the past few times I have tried to do a booking that it automatically assigns a stateroom, at the top, like in post #10.  I have yet to figure out how to change from that stateroom.  😞  Used to be able to see the available staterooms, I thought!

You click “choose a different stateroom” on the page shown in post 4

55 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

I've experienced the exact same thing you describe recently trying to book on two different ships.  I assumed it was a website glitch.  Came back the following day both times and it was "normal" again, giving me the option to choose my cabins just like it has always been. 

• Like 1

I have had this occur sporadically on the NCL site. It seems to be to specific subcategories of cabins. For example, when we tried to book a balcony for our Alaska cruise, the cheapest category would come up as guarantee only. However, if I picked the family balcony category which was $40 more per person, then I was able to pick my specific cabin.

Try changing the cabin type within the category you're looking at to see if you then get a choice of cabin.

I also find this on the EU customer facing site, but then, when I do it through the travel agent portal, it lets me choose the cabin without a fee. So Idk if it is a glitch or just an attempt to get more money from people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

@KeithJenner   I have never seen anything like post #4 to be able to look for a different stateroom.  How did you get to that selection?

It is the next screen which comes up after you select the cabin category. I would say maybe it’s just a UK thing, but post 4 is from someone in the US. I can’t think why I’m you wouldn’t get see it.

I think people may have missed my post earlier, but it doesn’t actually charge extra if you select a different cabin. Ignore the costs shown during the selection process and then compare the final price when you have selected your new cabin. If it is in the same category then the price will be the same.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I just tried this on the UK site. I picked a category and then selected choose a different stateroom. Every option had a +£xx amount next to it.

However, if I then selected a deck or room the prices weren’t increased. In fact, on one of them I seem to have selected a lower grade balcony and the price went down.

My conclusion (and this rings a bell from when I booked a few weeks ago) is that the amount it is showing an increased fare from isn’t the cabin you were originally selected. If that makes sense

So, if I pick a balcony, it recommends 9178 at a total of £1,978. If I say I want to choose another then it says mid ship is +£124. If I select that  it says deck 9 is +£137, but then if I select room 9182 the price is still £1,978.

it’s just badly presented. 

Ahh, understood Keith.  I will do a check on that, if that's the case it's pretty stupid on their part to display it like that, or maybe they somehow are encouraging people at first glance to keep the first choice (which isn't always that great a cabin, although 'recommended' !)

So, Keith is spot on.  The add on cost is not getting added on, and reflects some add on cost which is not from your originally selected cabin (perhaps an interior rather than balcony or something).

So if getting a price, say, of €2,000 for a balcony on deck 8, you can select other balconies on deck 8 for 2,000 (even though the system suggests +€150), but if you move to deck 9, which might show +€170, it will only actually add €20 (the difference between the pantom 150 and 170).

The above is clearly moving you between balcony categories like BF, BB, BA etc - except, for me anyway, all those categories seem to have disappeared - perhaps NCL has moved to simply FWD, MID, AFT and deck selection?

Anyway, stupid presentation as Keith as said.  Will put some people off as they won't continue to check the bottom line, as I failed to do.

I never use the NCL site any more when picking a cabin.  My American TA site shows the WHOLE deck and what 15 cabins NCL makes available for each category with flashing red dots.  You can also request cabins that NCL has not yet released for sale.  So much easier to see how far you are from stairs and elevators and what is above and below you.  Then I go to the deck plan site to see where the bed is located, near the balcony or near the door.  Sometimes I get lucky and find the exact cabin on the exact ship.

• Like 1