Why hasn't Celebrity offered a Covid test the last afternoon of the cruise for those that need it.

TomTN

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Things are a bit confused here.  You do need a negative test to BOARD a cruise ship that ports in Canada.

You need a negative test to board the ship no matter where it is going

4 hours ago, danv3 said:

I'm sure this rule would get more popular support if there was even the slightest bit of logic behind it.  

No one can articulate a reasonable basis why someone driving from Toronto to New York doesn't need to test but someone flying from Toronto to New York does.  And lest anyone suggest it's because flying is different, ask why no one has to test when they fly from Los Angeles to New York (a much longer, but domestic flight).  

Further, cruises that start and end in the US, people just walk off.  No need to test to come back into the USA.  Makes absolute no sense at all to target international flights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

A big issue is all of those on board with symptoms who choose to hide them  or cough without masks and claim seasonal allergies..  need pollen for that .. in the middle of the ocean!

Like many other people, I have both seasonal and year round allergies. Anyone who is wearing scented products shouldn’t be surprised if some - including me - begin sneezing. Also, those who have COPD may need to cough frequently. Please don’t make assumptions about everyone who coughs or sneezes (into their arms or tissues, I hope). 

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Several years ago a lady who was sitting at gate in SF reaked of strong perfume.  We got up and moved and I said. Sure hope she is not sitting anywhere near us on a flight from San Francisco to London.  I held my breath when she came walking down the aisle and low and behold she was two seats behind us across the aisle in the middle section.  I sneezed for the next 12 hrs all the way to London!!

4 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Further, cruises that start and end in the US, people just walk off.  No need to test to come back into the USA.  Makes absolute no sense at all to target international flights.

I actually called the CDC with this exact question. The “official” answer Is that Homeland Security has jurisdiction over land and sea borders. The CDC has none. The CDC does have jurisdiction over air flight. Therefore, they can decide what goes on with international air travel, but not with land and sea. I know, doesn’t make a lot of sense, but that is the “why”. I don’t see it changing soon because a few weeks ago the CDC recommended that even domestic travelers test before and after traveling. They can’t mandate domestic testing (I believe they would like to), but can on international. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Gray Lady said:

I actually called the CDC with this exact question. The “official” answer Is that Homeland Security has jurisdiction over land and sea borders. The CDC has none. The CDC does have jurisdiction over air flight. Therefore, they can decide what goes on with international air travel, but not with land and sea. I know, doesn’t make a lot of sense, but that is the “why”. I don’t see it changing soon because a few weeks ago the CDC recommended that even domestic travelers test before and after traveling. They can’t mandate domestic testing (I believe they would like to), but can on international. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Actually that is not quite right.  You may have gotten an answer but not a correct answer.  Law gives CDC the ability to take action in two areas.  The first is at the national boarders (land, sea or air it makes no difference) the law is the same.  It also can take action between states if it is determines that state and local authorities have not taken sufficient action.

If the answer you were given was correct than they should explain the rather lengthy period when the CDC stopped cruise lines from operating and implemented fairly tight controls on crew on cargo ships.  After all if what you are saying is correct than they should not have been able to take such action, including the requirements for testing, port agreements, on board protocols, etc.

The law specifically allows the CDC to task the Coast Guard with enforcement when it comes to  international sea travel and the US boarders.  The laws are referenced in the many documents published by the CDC related to cruise line operations during Covid.

That demonstrates that the CDC was able to take action related to international sea travel.

The powers are granted under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264)

However while those statutes exist they have not been tested in court.  As such there has been a couple of cases where the courts have taken fairly narrow views in interpreting the language in the statutes and other courts have taken fairly expansive views.  The CDC has tended to not push the issue and it has not yet risen to a case at the court of appeals or supreme court level so it remains somewhat undefined as far as the final interpretation and scope of those powers.

The laws are written in terms of quarantine and prevention of disease entry into the country. So it does raise the question if the rules related to cruise lines are in scope or out of scope.  The CDC made it voluntary instead of taking the Florida case to the next level.

The main issue between land and air is the ease of implementation.  Fairly easy to implement for international air travel,  Much more difficult in both time and cost to try and implement similar requirements at land boarders.

As far as sea travel you have to test before boarding on any ship traveling to/from the US.  As a result since they are testing before boarding, they have not implemented testing before disembarkation.  Presumably this is because the cruise lines are supposed to be monitoring for potential cases and are operating in line with the now voluntary protocols for Covid management.

I many ways this is similar to international air travel where you must test before boarding the flight but do not need to test on arrival.  Unlike some other countries where you had to test at both ends of the flight (French Polynesia for example though they have now dropped the need for testing on arrival as well as testing before boarding your flight.)

Edited by ldtr

We’re frankly very glad we do not have to be closely enclosed in an aircraft for 12-15 hrs or longer with a bunch of Covid positive people trying to get back into this country.  We all know many would choose to fly back with this virus.  This way there’s a good chance most folks will not be positive that day.  When they get off a cruise ship in FLL LA or wherever they are dispersed in many directions and a number of them in cars.  Many live in that state.  

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
22 minutes ago, mauimary said:

We’re frankly very glad we do not have to be closely enclosed in an aircraft for 12-15 hrs or longer with a bunch of Covid positive people trying to get back into this country.  We all know many would choose to fly back with this virus.  This way there’s a good chance most folks will not be positive that day.  When they get off a cruise ship in FLL LA or wherever they are dispersed in many directions and a number of them in cars.  Many live in that state.  

Just as an example, I just returned from a land trip to Tahiti and Bora Bora.  While at one hotel I was talking with one individual who was there with his wife and sister in law.  He mentioned that his sister in law tested positive before flying to Papeete (French Polynesia requires tests before flying there just as the US).  Rather than miss the trip she retested 3 times at different places until she got a negative test and used that one to fly.  The positive test and the first retest was PCR.  The second retest, also positive was antigen, the third retest was antigen and came up negative. He then mentioned that she did have some symptoms.

Edited by ldtr

11 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Just as an example, I just returned from a land trip to Tahiti and Bora Bora.  While at one hotel I was talking with one individual who was there with his wife and sister in law.  He mentioned that his sister in law tested positive before flying to Papeete.  Rather than miss the trip she retested 3 times until she got a negative test and used that one to fly.  The positive test and the first retest was PCR.  The second retest, also positive was antigen, the third retest was antigen and came up negative. He then mentioned that she did have some symptoms.

I can’t believe this guy was proud to be telling you this!  Shows how irresponsible some people can be!!

Edited by mauimary
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Like many other people, I have both seasonal and year round allergies. Anyone who is wearing scented products shouldn’t be surprised if some - including me - begin sneezing. Also, those who have COPD may need to cough frequently. Please don’t make assumptions about everyone who coughs or sneezes (into their arms or tissues, I hope). 

My commented was only about  those who claim seasonal allergies when they cough I also sneeze when near scented products. . I fully understand COPD.  Sadly many do not cough or sneeze into tissues or arms

2 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

Not much about this testing makes sense. We know some of these tests aren't even accurate. It's sad that there are still people afraid of this virus that is not going away.... 😒

AGREE!  This is not 2 years ago!!  We now have vaccines and boosters that protect from severe disease - many people who get covid now don't even realize that they have it - no symptoms whatsoever or cold symptoms!  It is time to treat covid as an endemic disease - it is here and it is here to stay.  Everyone must get vaxxed and boosted - this is not the bubonic plague.  This is not March 2020.  We must all take responsibility for our own health and the health of others by getting vaxxed and boosted and that's it - time to move one with our lives.

• Like 3

Reading through this thread I'd like to correct a couple of things...

Even if you display symptoms as some did on our last sailing nothing was done in terms of testing unless those individuals voluntarily went for testing themselves.

The adverts we spotted in the ship programme didnt make it clear that the tests wouldnt be done on board or would only be given out on debarkation. 

People aren't looking for a freebie they are paying but it needs to be clearer that is is a self test given as you debark for which you will need an internet connection. Some people actually booked when there was a free test given on board but hadnt been told that that had changed. Their test was free but they didnt realise it was a self test to be done on line.

We do our best to plan and research, however the testing timeslot and requirement changed 3 times in the space of a couple of months meaning we needed to change flights hotels and times for our pre booked tests. So I think it is a matter of constant change which is tripping some people up!

Some are independant travellers, and are used to planning it all themselves. Others buy a package from their travel agent and rely on them to guide them. 

I do think a tv guide in your stateroom should be available on these tests. We have all seen aircraft and ship safety videos heaps of times but it is still shown every time. 

Celebrity could avoid lots of negative comment and a dint to their reputation by introducing some quick easy minor changes.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, danv3 said:

I'm sure this rule would get more popular support if there was even the slightest bit of logic behind it.  

No one can articulate a reasonable basis why someone driving from Toronto to New York doesn't need to test but someone flying from Toronto to New York does.  And lest anyone suggest it's because flying is different, ask why no one has to test when they fly from Los Angeles to New York (a much longer, but domestic flight).  

going to an airport, standing on lie, crowding in the waiting area and sitting like sardines in a can for hours, is very different from 3 or 4 people close to you sitting in a vehicle and driving. It makes perfect sense to me.

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

going to an airport, standing on lie, crowding in the waiting area and sitting like sardines in a can for hours, is very different from 3 or 4 people close to you sitting in a vehicle and driving. It makes perfect sense to me.

So please explain the logic of how flying domestically varies significantly from flying internationally. 🤔 I get your point on the driving part but not in regards to flight or for that matter a cruise ship disembarking 2000 people in Miami or Fort Lauderdale or New York. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tony UK said:

Reading through this thread I'd like to correct a couple of things...

Even if you display symptoms as some did on our last sailing nothing was done in terms of testing unless those individuals voluntarily went for testing themselves.

The adverts we spotted in the ship programme didnt make it clear that the tests wouldnt be done on board or would only be given out on debarkation. 

People aren't looking for a freebie they are paying but it needs to be clearer that is is a self test given as you debark for which you will need an internet connection. Some people actually booked when there was a free test given on board but hadnt been told that that had changed. Their test was free but they didnt realise it was a self test to be done on line.

We do our best to plan and research, however the testing timeslot and requirement changed 3 times in the space of a couple of months meaning we needed to change flights hotels and times for our pre booked tests. So I think it is a matter of constant change which is tripping some people up!

Some are independant travellers, and are used to planning it all themselves. Others buy a package from their travel agent and rely on them to guide them. 

I do think a tv guide in your stateroom should be available on these tests. We have all seen aircraft and ship safety videos heaps of times but it is still shown every time. 

Celebrity could avoid lots of negative comment and a dint to their reputation by introducing some quick easy minor changes.

When I booked my upcoming cruise last year, Celebrity said they would be testing anyone who needed it to fly back to their country.  It would be free if you booked before November 2021.  If not, they were going to charge whatever the testing place would charge.  

Now we get handed a test, and may have to pay for it.  SMH  I'll arrange my own near the pier.

3 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

When I booked my upcoming cruise last year, Celebrity said they would be testing anyone who needed it to fly back to their country.  It would be free if you booked before November 2021.  If not, they were going to charge whatever the testing place would charge.  

Now we get handed a test, and may have to pay for it.  SMH  I'll arrange my own near the pier.

Just buy an eMed test, take it with you and take the test on the ship on the day before embarkation, I'd wait until 9pm to ensure the wifi congestion isn't an issue.  While there isn't a guarantee the wifi will be working without any hiccups, odds are it'll be done.  If there are issues then one the next morning to locate a place with wifi that's relatively quiet

Like it or not, X is trying to minimize the amount of people who test positive on the ship.  Additionally, as reported on these boards, after disembarkation, if you feel ill, take a test, test positive and call X to report that you tested positive, it falls on deaf ears

29 minutes ago, Expo67 said:

So please explain the logic of how flying domestically varies significantly from flying internationally. 🤔 I get your point on the driving part but not in regards to flight or for that matter a cruise ship disembarking 2000 people in Miami or Fort Lauderdale or New York. 

the assumption is that everyone was tested before getting on, so it's likely the positive folks disembarking will be low (if everyone does as they are supposed to..which they are not and thus cases are escalating). Flying internationally involves at least two countries. NO ONE can or should make any assumptions as to conditions in another country. They have to take in so many factors. Covid variants, medical facilities, vaccine availability, compliance, health care costs, etc.

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just buy an eMed test, take it with you and take the test on the ship on the day before embarkation, I'd wait until 9pm to ensure the wifi congestion isn't an issue.  While there isn't a guarantee the wifi will be working without any hiccups, odds are it'll be done.  If there are issues then one the next morning to locate a place with wifi that's relatively quiet

Like it or not, X is trying to minimize the amount of people who test positive on the ship.  Additionally, as reported on these boards, after disembarkation, if you feel ill, take a test, test positive and call X to report that you tested positive, it falls on deaf ears

I could do that, then cancel my appt. which I already made.  I have the government issued ones and have read about going online to get those supervised.  Just don't want to leave the ship and be testing at the airport in some corner.  I do everything on a laptop or pc.  

12 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

the assumption is that everyone was tested before getting on, so it's likely the positive folks disembarking will be low (if everyone does as they are supposed to..which they are not and thus cases are escalating). Flying internationally involves at least two countries. NO ONE can or should make any assumptions as to conditions in another country. They have to take in so many factors. Covid variants, medical facilities, vaccine availability, compliance, health care costs, etc.

The US with the exception of a few countries has the highest percentage of Covid positivity so theoretically it is far more likely to conduct and pass Covid by a domestic US flight than a international flight. As for your cruise analogy if there are 200 passengers disembarking positive and flying domestically it is certainly

No different than 200 positive passengers disembarking and flying internationally. Since there is no testing required once on a cruise or any testing required at all to fly within the US there is no way to know the number of positive cases that are circulating in the US from cruise travel or air travel. So if that is the case then there certainly is no need for testing flying in internationally at a significantly lower percentage since there are on average 1.6 million domestic flyers in the US daily.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Expo67 said:

The US with the exception of a few countries has the highest percentage of Covid positivity so theoretically it is far more likely to conduct and pass Covid by a domestic US flight than a international flight. As for your cruise analogy if there are 200 passengers disembarking positive and flying domestically it is certainly

No different than 200 positive passengers disembarking and flying internationally. Since there is no testing required once on a cruise or any testing required at all to fly within the US there is no way to know the number of positive cases that are circulating in the US from cruise travel or air travel. So if that is the case then there certainly is no need for testing flying in internationally at a significantly lower percentage since there are on average 1.6 million domestic flyers in the US daily.

Not everyone on that plane for the next 13 hrs has been on a cruise ship!  So it doesn’t make any difference. Everyone flies by the same restrictions!

Pointless argument. Personally, I think its too soon to let up on testing, masking etc.  

And...as to the OPs question...I don't know why Celebrity doesn't offer testing. I'm not on their executive board. But I'm sure every possible conspiracy theory to defraud, cheat, or otherwise make their customers as inconvenienced and miserable as possible has been identified by posters here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:25 PM, Expo67 said:

lol Gee can you imagine how the wifi onboard would react to 1000+ paxs getting online for a proctored video conference. 😵💫 And the cruiselines wonder why folks are reluctant to cruise overseas it out of country where a negative test results is required to fly in. 😂 Time for the CDC to get their heads out of their you know what and rescind the mandatory neg test. If people can fly domestically as well as drive, take a train or bus into the country without a neg test then the requirement for international flights for fully vaxed people of US citizenship should also be amended. My 2 cents worth. 🤭

Could not agree more that the 16 month old requirement should be removed

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

I agree if especially masks are not needed to fly international.

If planes do not require masks, then stop requiring test to get off a plane anywhere.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mauimary said:

We’re frankly very glad we do not have to be closely enclosed in an aircraft for 12-15 hrs or longer with a bunch of Covid positive people

How about 2-3 hours on a domestic flight? Is that any safer? Where do you draw the line?

• Like 4