Hotel in Amsterdam

"nice hotel that is reasonably priced"

Are you sure those words go together? I'm sure they do. One just has to ensure that nice and reasonably priced are within the bounds of a realistic expectation.

I made the mistake of thinking "Rustic" and "Historic" were favorable code words. I was wrong.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

Do a search for hotels that meet your price parameters.  Use the map to ascertain the location.  Read all the reviews.  It's a sure-fire way to get just what you want. 

What is reasonable for one might be expensive or cheap for another. Try sites as booking.com or hotel.com. You can then select either location and/or price. 

Amsterdam is rather compact so you are never far away from any atttraction. Also public transport is excellent. 

Prices can be higher during weekends, high or low season and when major events take place. 

PS You better have this question in the western Europe board!!

Edited by Ine

In 2015 we stayed pre- and post-cruise at the Ibis-Central in Amsterdam.  It's next to the railroad station and on a canal.  I don't remember what we paid but it certainly not expensive.  Basic, very clean, very modern.  No meals included but close to many restaurants and shopping.  We walked to the Anne Frank house.  After, we took the canal boat back to the hotel as my friend was dealing with a bum knee.

On 5/31/2022 at 2:22 AM, Ashland said:

We've booked the Banks Mansion some time ago for our July cruise and got what I think was a great deal considering the price point now.

We just returned from Amsterdam and stayed 5 nights at the Banks Mansion. It was very good. The staff were very helpful, the room was clean and comfortable and the included breakfast was great. We also enjoyed the fact that all drinks were included and the evening wine bar and cheese trolley were quite enjoyable.

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

We just returned from Amsterdam and stayed 5 nights at the Banks Mansion. It was very good. The staff were very helpful, the room was clean and comfortable and the included breakfast was great. We also enjoyed the fact that all drinks were included and the evening wine bar and cheese trolley were quite enjoyable.

Thanks so much. We're really looking forward to this hotel. We had it booked when covid hit and our cruise was cancelled and knew this was where we wanted to be for this upcoming July pre-cruise stay.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks so much. We're really looking forward to this hotel. We had it booked when covid hit and our cruise was cancelled and knew this was where we wanted to be for this upcoming July pre-cruise stay.

We loved the location, too. We walked to the Rijkmuseum, Rembrandt House, Botanical Gardens and more.

There is also a Covid testing spot within about 5 minutes walk, if you still need one when you return. The staff at the hotel also will arrange testing at the hotel but it was quite a bit more.

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

We loved the location, too. We walked to the Rijkmuseum, Rembrandt House, Botanical Gardens and more.

There is also a Covid testing spot within about 5 minutes walk, if you still need one when you return. The staff at the hotel also will arrange testing at the hotel but it was quite a bit more.

We'll be doing our eMed proctored tests on our laptop at the hotel day before our cruise and onboard day before cruise ends.

We have a plan B if either of these don't work but I'm pretty confident they will.

Thanks so much, glad to hear of some recent experience at this hotel.

• Like 1

For more value than Amsterdam, try Haarlem. We are staying there for 3 nights before our cruise. Hotels were much cheaper and it’s just 20 mins to Amsterdam by train. My sister was there in March and so I have it on good authority it’s a good option. She said much quieter than Amsterdam with lots of great restaurants and it is very pretty.

• Like 3

We are always looking for alternative areas to stay outside the bustle of a major city.  We've travelled in Europe for years and no longer need to be right in the middle of everything.  Often, we'll stay at an airport hotel with good public transport ... quiet, luxurious and much less expensive.  

Just checked out of Banks Mansion a little over an hour ago. Great value for the cost. Breakfast was very good with plenty of cold options as well as made to order eggs, omelette a, pancakes and French toast 

Within a 20 minute walk of almost anywhere and great restaurant options within 11 minutes walk. 

Staff was very helpful. Tracked us down last night after my husband left his camera in the lounge. 

As mentioned previously, alcohol and mixers available at all times and included in the price. Nice selection, also.  

This morning we walked the two blocks to the floating flower market and got some flowers for the cruise. 

I checked prices every few weeks and was able to save more than the price I originally booked with a multi-day discount. 

We’ll be back in Amsterdam next year and plan to stay there again. 

Edited by kccrzr
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kccrzr said:

Just checked out of Banks Mansion a little over an hour ago. Great value for the cost. Breakfast was very good with plenty of cold options as well as made to order eggs, omelette a, pancakes and French toast 

Within a 20 minute walk of almost anywhere and great restaurant options within 11 minutes walk. 

Staff was very helpful. Tracked us down last night after my husband left his camera in the lounge. 

As mentioned previously, alcohol and mixers available at all times and included in the price. Nice selection, also.  

This morning we walked the two blocks to the floating flower market and got some flowers for the cruise. 

I checked prices every few weeks and was able to save more than the price I originally booked with a multi-day discount. 

We’ll be back in Amsterdam next year and plan to stay there again. 

Thank you so very much for posting. Was there any problem bringing the flowers onboard, if not did you just carry them around with you until cabins were open? We're so looking forward to this hotel...counting down the days until we depart July 22nd.

16 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thank you so very much for posting. Was there any problem bringing the flowers onboard, if not did you just carry them around with you until cabins were open? We're so looking forward to this hotel...counting down the days until we depart July 22nd.

No issue at all bring the flowers on board. I had a packable nylon market tote which I put them in along with a few mixers. Several terminal employees commented how pretty they were. Rooms were ready at 1:00 so flowers did ok. D925F17B-CAC0-4898-B7F1-CD101F5826AC.thumb.jpeg.b656b98803c67c5a07e06874bfaebbd0.jpegI also brought a collapsible vase I purchased online. It is working perfectly 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the information about the Banks Hotel. We are doing a B2B cruise out of Amsterdam in June 2023. Do you know if the hotel offers laundry service?

Or did you notice laundry services near the hotel?

Thank you!!

The floating flower market is very easy to find, it’s where all the tourists head to to buy overpriced flowers and mouldy tulip bulbs. Do yourself a favor and buy your flowers in a real flower shop or at one of the many flower stands or flower kiosks in the city. It’s where the locals buy their flowers.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, RHDZ said:

Thank you for the information about the Banks Hotel. We are doing a B2B cruise out of Amsterdam in June 2023. Do you know if the hotel offers laundry service?

Or did you notice laundry services near the hotel?

Thank you!!

Yes, they did offer laundry service but it was pricey. There is a dry cleaner/drop off laundry just a few doors down from the hotel that was more reasonable.

• Like 1