Taxes on drink package....

Calli50

Hello! I am a first time cruiser on Norwegian (quite a few on Royal) and am very excited. My question being, I always pay for the drink package on Royal.

For Norwegian this was included in my booking. Do you have to pay taxes on the drinks you get on the ship or is that included? Royal your taxes and tip were always included in the cost. I tend to indulge a bit(not to excess!) so was wondering if I will owe taxes at the end as I read somewhere else that you have to pay them? Just want to be prepared for it if we do. Thanks in advance!

For instance, in Galveston, you pay tax of,  as others have said, about $1/drink until you are out of Texas waters ( usually til 7:00 pm or so).  Also, some ships, like Carnivals, won’t serve the full contingent of liquors (as they had not paid Texas state taxes on them).   A few years ago Louisiana decided to start this too.

Again, Taxes are only paid while in US waters, so leaving from Florida, your out in international waters pretty quick, now leaving out of New Orleans is a different story, takes about 8 hours to get through the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico

Calli50, I agree with what everyone says about taxes in US ports. Just want to make sure you understand about the mandatory gratuity charge on the free at sea beverage package. You mention you are new to NCL. You will pay $277 bar gratuities (7 day cruise) for two people to have the free drink package. Pretty easy to get your value out of that, just wanted to make sure you were aware.

When you book the free at sea cruise, all of your taxes and fees are charged as part of your total trip costs except that you can choose when to pay your gratuities and extras. You will see the service charge for this on your itemized bill.

However, some ports and embarkation ports may require the cruiseline to charge taxes on drinks consumed until the ship reaches international waters. I know for sure that Miami and San Juan requires taxes. The bartenders/dining servers are usually good at telling you this upfront. I was told in the restaurant that we weren't far enough away but by the time I had my next drink we were in the clear. You'll be able to see the tax charges on your account via the app or you can check your account in your cabin on the television. It will depend on the cost of your drink and # of drinks that you consume. 

We were charged sales tax while in port in San Diego on Princess and on NCL while docked in Port Canaveral. I don't remember it being much, though. It was definitely less than a dollar per drink. However, on NCL, the bartender purposely didn't scan our cards for soda as he said we'd be charged tax, but he did need to swipe the card for alcoholic drinks.

2 hours ago, Melody7 said:

What are the taxes like when in port in Alaska? Most of our port time is during the day, so I won't be boozing it up too much, but I'm just curious.

Taxes for all Alaska ports were in the 8-10% range last month.  It varies by municipality.  We had some different ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) but it'll be about the same for Sitka & ISP, I'm sure.  

2 hours ago, trivimp said:

Taxes for all Alaska ports were in the 8-10% range last month.  It varies by municipality.  We had some different ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) but it'll be about the same for Sitka & ISP, I'm sure.  

Alaska is taxing the drinks now? In 2019 it was only when you were in Washington state water. 

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know about the policies for the New England and Canada cruise?  The map looks like this cruise is only in international waters on the last day. So will taxes be charged the entire time for the first 5 days?  

I also remember the Princess and Celebrity Alaska cruise shut the bars down when we stopped in Canada. Does NCL shut the bars down when in port on this cruise while in Canada too?