Any Experience with NCL booked flights delayed and you missed your cruise?

mtrancher

I'm wondering if anyone has ever used the NCL airfare program, had NCL book their flights and then flight delays caused you to miss the cruise? Coming from Montana its almost impossible to fly to Miami same day and get there in time for embarkation. There might be one flight that makes it. I'm curious if that is the case, and one of the flights is delayed, what does NCL do, if anything, to help you make the ship?

Also, if they fly you in the day before due to no possible flights, do they help you with hotel or are you on your own?

They do nothing to help

in my experience. They also will not reimburse you in any way for any expenses incurred nor will they refund any portion of the cruise fare should you miss your cruise entirely. 

While travel insurance may cover certain delays read the policy carefully many things are excluded (depending on the policy). 

Best bet - arrange to fly in at least 1 if not 2 days early. Especially since we are still seeing many flight cancellations due to crewing issues and it can sometimes  take up to 2-3 days to be reaccomodated on another flight. 

From what I've seen from other posts I believe you can request a deviation up to two days before the cruise.  As a general rule we fly in at least one day before, if not two.  With the way things are with the airlines right now I'd try to get in two days before to have some wiggle room.

We're booked on a cruise this fall and while I booked my own airfare, we're flying in two days ahead.

This past November our flight from Toronto to Miami was delayed for more than eight hours and subsequently we missed embarkation on the Encore. NCL booked us a flight to San Juan where we picked up the cruise on day three. There was no compensation from NCL. We incurred the cost of accommodations and other expenses in Toronto and San Juan.  Our insurance didn’t cover anything because we had booked the cruise during a government no cruise advisory. We did not have any insurance through NCL. We made the best of the situation and really enjoyed our 5 day cruise in the Encore Haven. The most frustrating part of the experience was trying to reach NCL’s flight department when we realized we were not going to make the cruise. I called a series of numbers listed on the website and each time I was forwarded to reservations. Finally got through to the right department but it was extremely unnerving.

No, NCL will not pay for a hotel if they can't get you a flight day-of.  They will find a flight if they are offering airfare from your chosen airport.

As to cancelled flights and missing your cruise, it sounds like NCL will pass the responsibility to your insurance.

I can tell you that our 2019 cruise on Getaway out of New Orleans was over 2 hours late sailing away, because they were holding the ship for those with NCL booked air that were delayed in arriving.  I am certain they would not hold it for those flying in on their own.  That said, I would still rather come in a day ahead.

9 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

I can tell you that our 2019 cruise on Getaway out of New Orleans was over 2 hours late sailing away, because they were holding the ship for those with NCL booked air that were delayed in arriving.  I am certain they would not hold it for those flying in on their own.  That said, I would still rather come in a day ahead.

Same thing happened when I was on the Breakaway out of New Orleans - for all the naysayers who insist they won't hold the ship.  They just rushed everyone onto the bus at the airport, then directly onto the ship, registered everyone onboard, had them do a makeup muster drill the next day.  Of course this was during pre-covid days.

But there are no guarantees - it all depends on the itinerary, so not something you can count on.  With so many flight changes, I'm opting to fly in early nowdays.  Book a hotel by the airport and take the NCL shuttle to the ship the next day.

• Like 1

Thank you to those who shared your experience with planes being delayed and NCL's response.

I couldn't agree more on flying in a day early. Coming from Montana we lots to consider when flying during the winter. Deicing can be delayed and consequently cost us a late departure, weather might as a whole cost time for departure or cancellations, and we have to fly into hubs which often have their own weather issues, and now add with the pilot shortage flight cancellations can be more frequent. Hence I'm a firm believer to fly in no less than one day early and for this upcoming cruise we will fly in two days early. There's plenty to do in Miami for one day and I'll have far less stress while "on vacation" not worrying about making embarkation.

That said I asked the original question because a couple traveling with us opted to use the NCL 2nd guest flies free. I originally  thought they opted for a 2 day early deviation to fly in but learned last night they are coming in whenever NCL books them... up to the day of. Currently the earliest flight from Montana on the day of embarkation gets to Miami @ 3:39pm which is nine minutes past the latest boarding time for embarkation.  Obviously the time to get luggage and travel to the port might make it as much as an hour or more past the deadline.

So those of you who have had experience in the same scenario, again thank you for passing on how it was handled. I'm going to use your input to encourage them to at least request a 1 day early deviation so the risk will be less they miss embarkation.

35 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

Currently the earliest flight from Montana on the day of embarkation gets to Miami @ 3:39pm which is nine minutes past the latest boarding time for embarkation.  Obviously the time to get luggage and travel to the port might make it as much as an hour or more past the deadline.

They don't fly you out the day of embarkation.  They arrange a flight to get you to the ship on time, so often leave the day before if that's what it takes.

I have a cruise with flights booked in NOV for the South Pacific: Bora Bora, Moorea & Raiatea cruise. Unfortunately, flight deviations are not available for this location and its a 17 hour flight on a good day. I'm sure I'll run into some type of complication

We love to cruise with NCL!  However, after our own person experiences, we will never ever use NCL Air for a cruise again.  The department rarely if ever will answer their emergency number required to contact on the day of your travel.  Follow-up for assistance post cruise is very hit and miss and truly not what one would expect from a reputable cruise company.

The low fares can certainly be very tempting, but as there are many things that can go wrong with air travel these days… NCL Air does not stand behind the product or service at all!   Most likely you will regret the decision to try to save a little on airfare.  Avoidance is certainly the best option for such a weak product.  We LOVE NCL…. we HATE NCL air.  A very inferior product!!!

Forewarned and be aware!!!

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mtrancher said:

Thank you to those who shared your experience with planes being delayed and NCL's response.

I couldn't agree more on flying in a day early. Coming from Montana we lots to consider when flying during the winter. Deicing can be delayed and consequently cost us a late departure, weather might as a whole cost time for departure or cancellations, and we have to fly into hubs which often have their own weather issues, and now add with the pilot shortage flight cancellations can be more frequent. Hence I'm a firm believer to fly in no less than one day early and for this upcoming cruise we will fly in two days early. There's plenty to do in Miami for one day and I'll have far less stress while "on vacation" not worrying about making embarkation.

That said I asked the original question because a couple traveling with us opted to use the NCL 2nd guest flies free. I originally  thought they opted for a 2 day early deviation to fly in but learned last night they are coming in whenever NCL books them... up to the day of. Currently the earliest flight from Montana on the day of embarkation gets to Miami @ 3:39pm which is nine minutes past the latest boarding time for embarkation.  Obviously the time to get luggage and travel to the port might make it as much as an hour or more past the deadline.

So those of you who have had experience in the same scenario, again thank you for passing on how it was handled. I'm going to use your input to encourage them to at least request a 1 day early deviation so the risk will be less they miss embarkation.

My assumption is they'd be on a red-eye flight to arrive in the morning.  Not flying the same day.  

23 hours ago, davencl said:

My assumption is they'd be on a red-eye flight to arrive in the morning.  Not flying the same day.  

That would be the likely, yet there aren't any great read eyes.... and still I think a very good chance for delays that cost a timely arrival.

There's time for them to reconsider and at the least request a day or two earlier arrival.

42 minutes ago, screenname2004 said:

Somewhat related question. When can I request to fly a day early? At time of booking?

You have to call NCL or your pcc.  You can make your request anytime but has to be at least 75 days out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

Somewhat related question. When can I request to fly a day early? At time of booking?

We did ours at booking. We also added a hotel and and ground transport from Airport to hotel and hotel to terminal. I’m sure we paid more than we would have had we booked all those separately, but it was sure nice getting it all done with one phone call. 

I just got notification from AirCanada that my flight to Greece has been changed (by 4 minutes).  I'm not cruising for another 72 days and have heard nothing from NCL.  The flights are good, leaving Orlando at 11:30AM to Montreal, a four hour layover and then a flight to Athens landing at 10:30AM (I'm flying in the day before and staying at the Grand Hyatt, also booked through NCL).  HOWEVER, when I looked on AIrCanada, I saved a whopping $60 by booking through NCL...and I spent more on the hotel, so I just about broke even.  So keep that in mind when considering this offer!!  On the other hand, NCL better make it right, if anything goes wrong!

22 hours ago, cmecruise1962 said:

I just got notification from AirCanada that my flight to Greece has been changed (by 4 minutes).  I'm not cruising for another 72 days and have heard nothing from NCL.  The flights are good, leaving Orlando at 11:30AM to Montreal, a four hour layover and then a flight to Athens landing at 10:30AM (I'm flying in the day before and staying at the Grand Hyatt, also booked through NCL).  HOWEVER, when I looked on AIrCanada, I saved a whopping $60 by booking through NCL...and I spent more on the hotel, so I just about broke even.  So keep that in mind when considering this offer!!  On the other hand, NCL better make it right, if anything goes wrong!

I had multiple notifications for an Air Canada flight for upcoming cruise out of Barcelona.  Was not very excited of going from Washington Dulles to Toronto, then 7 hour layover and then jumping across the pond.  

We pulled an inside straight on Friday, was assigned a United flight from Dulles straight into Barcelona.  Point being, a lot can change until you get the final ticket.   NCL will be very quiet until it is done.

1 hour ago, Harratine said:

I had multiple notifications for an Air Canada flight for upcoming cruise out of Barcelona.  Was not very excited of going from Washington Dulles to Toronto, then 7 hour layover and then jumping across the pond.  

We pulled an inside straight on Friday, was assigned a United flight from Dulles straight into Barcelona.  Point being, a lot can change until you get the final ticket.   NCL will be very quiet until it is done.

Good to know!  I would love a direct flight!!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:43 AM, julig22 said:

You have to call NCL or your pcc.  You can make your request anytime but has to be at least 75 days out.

I called the number found in the vacation summary under the Air, Hotel, Transfers tab - "For customized air arrangements, call 1-866-625-1163" and was able to secure a +2 day deviation when I was 110 days out.

Air is a crap shoot these days. I’m planning a Panama Canal cruise for Feb or March. Booking air to Miami the day before, if my flight gets cancelled and can’t get on a flight that day, it’s to the car I go. I live in Savannah  a 7 hour drive to Miami. 
Air problems are really screwing things ip these days

Last month, flying in day of cruise to Miami was fine. Flying in a day early was a problem due to weather on Miami. When trying to rebook day of cruise, everything was sold out (due to the cancellations the day before). 700 missed the cruise and many flew in to join the cruise Day 3 or Day 4. That also caused a mess on disembarkation when US Customs and Immigrations insisted on doing full processing on those guests and would not allow any of the close loop people off until all who joined mid-cruise were accounted for. 

14 hours ago, cruiserchris613 said:

I called the number found in the vacation summary under the Air, Hotel, Transfers tab - "For customized air arrangements, call 1-866-625-1163" and was able to secure a +2 day deviation when I was 110 days out.

is there a limit on how early you can request a deviation.  I just booked for May 2023 and would like to fly out a day early.  Thanks for any info this is my first cruise with NCL.

7 hours ago, CruzCra-Z said:

is there a limit on how early you can request a deviation.  I just booked for May 2023 and would like to fly out a day early.  Thanks for any info this is my first cruise with NCL.

The rep I spoke to gave me an option for a 1 or 2 day deviation. 

I'm pretty sure 2 days deviation is the max (also from reading what others posted).