NFT..what are they and why is X selling them?

Luvcrusn

1 hour ago, schittenden said:

There is plenty of swindling going on.

Kinda like with the typical operations and offerings from stock markets, brokers etc., around the world. That pervasive greedy, dishonest factor is always there. Fortunately, it is not the majority of players in the ongoing investment game.

3 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Kinda like with the typical operations and offerings from stock markets, brokers etc., around the world. That pervasive greedy, dishonest factor is always there. Fortunately, it is not the majority of players in the ongoing investment game.

Except those investments are highly regulated by multiple government agencies and usually backed by companies with assets and income streams.  Other than that, exactly the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

You'd need to talk to the artists who do seem to be in favor of using NFT's like this.

Personally I have more empathy with using the NFT approach in ways that deliver utility, rather than simply recording provenance, but art is where they started, and where most of the traction is right now.

I've been surprised many times over the years by what people will call 'art' and the price they are willing to pay, but as ever, it is only worth what someone else will give you for it, but the value you get from it is entirely separate and entirely in the mind of the buyer.

So I hope those who do decide to buy are happy with their purchases, they may end up owning them for a long time... 🙂

It is not the artists problem if the NFT they sold is essentially valueless.  I fault no one for selling what people want to buy.  If the artist can make money convincing someone that a token that contains a hyperlink to art on a server that can be accessed by anyone, saved by anyone, downloaded by anyone, printed by anyone, and one day may simply vanish is worth something, more power to them.  As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

I don’t understand why a book can be worth $200,000, a BeanieBaby $3,000 or a bottle of wine $100,000. 
the worth of anything will always come down to supply and demand. 
Any thing, virtual or physical is worth what someone is willing to pay. 
I have a Kindle full of data I paid for over the years. The virtual books have/had value to me but what did I buy?  A data stream. 
Just because you don’t want to bid on the NFT and you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value to someone else. (Not me ) 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, schittenden said:

Except those investments are highly regulated by multiple government agencies and usually backed by companies with assets and income streams.  Other than that, exactly the same.

It is a de-centralized system that records transactions in the crypto world. Hence, the inability for those government agencies to get their hands on a large portion of your money, through taxation. No taxation equals irritation. That's what it's all about when you are on the outside looking in. In other words, no representation. 

I am probably stepping out-of-bounds by continuing a conversation regarding Cryptocurrency, in general. This thread addresses NFT's specifically, as related to Celebrity.    

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

20 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I don’t understand why a book can be worth $200,000, a BeanieBaby $3,000 or a bottle of wine $100,000. 
the worth of anything will always come down to supply and demand. 
Any thing, virtual or physical is worth what someone is willing to pay. 
I have a Kindle full of data I paid for over the years. The virtual books have/had value to me but what did I buy?  A data stream. 
Just because you don’t want to bid on the NFT and you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value to someone else. (Not me ) 

Interesting point. I hadn't thought of that in those terms. However the author of the books have copyrights attached and there are in most instances physical books even though many of us choose the convenience on an e-reader and the digital version. 

Thanks to all of you who helped me understand (sort of) what is being offered for sale by X with the NFTs.  I do have to say that it still seems odd and off brand for a cruise vacation company to be selling this sort of thing and that they may be opening themselves to all sorts of issues, but since I'm not going to bid, buy or in anyway participate and I'm not a stockholder it's not my problem.

There is absolutely no reason that most Celebrity passengers should purchase a NFT, ever.

For reference, I'm a 30 something year old who not only collects and develops NFTs, but I also did social media for Celebrity Cruises, as well as responded on behalf of the cruiseline on these forums years ago as 'Celebrity Cruises'. You'll know it was me if the post started with a variant of "Hi all"

I was in shock when I saw Celebrity sharing instructions for creating a NFT wallet and driving customers to OpenSea. I just fear that too many people will lose money or get frustrated trying to learn Web3 in this manner.

I wish the best of luck to anyone attempting to buy this or learn more about it. Happy to answer some additional questions if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, DAKing240 said:

There is absolutely no reason that most Celebrity passengers should purchase a NFT, ever.

For reference, I'm a 30 something year old who not only collects and develops NFTs, but I also did social media for Celebrity Cruises, as well as responded on behalf of the cruiseline on these forums years ago as 'Celebrity Cruises'. You'll know it was me if the post started with a variant of "Hi all"

I was in shock when I saw Celebrity sharing instructions for creating a NFT wallet and driving customers to OpenSea. I just fear that too many people will lose money or get frustrated trying to learn Web3 in this manner.

I wish the best of luck to anyone attempting to buy this or learn more about it. Happy to answer some additional questions if possible.

What is your version of what exactly would a winning bidder be buying (not including an overpriced cruise)? Anything tangible at all? Any tangible proof of ownership?  How would one view their purchase? Would it only be accessible by a web link?

Edited by Luvcrusn

11 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

What is you version of what exactly would a winning bidder be buying (not including an overpriced cruise)? Anything tangible at all? Any tangible proof of ownership?  How would one view their purchase? Would it only be accessible by a web link?

I don't see the winning bidders receiving anything tangible asides from the cruise, the trip, and the experience. Once the event is over, you'll have an animated picture that isn't worth more than a few dollars.

You would view the purchase on your MetaMask / OpenSea wallet. It would be similar if you purchased concert tickets from Ticketmaster, and you would check your account for the tickets in your digital wallet.

Only the owners of this NFT will be able to click the "Unlocked Content" part, which probably has the instructions for redeeming the trip.

57 minutes ago, DAKing240 said:

Interestingly, you say most passengers. What might the exceptions be and why?

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

7 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I'm more interested in why he said the following:

1 hour ago, DAKing240 said:

I was in shock when I saw Celebrity sharing instructions for creating a NFT wallet and driving customers to OpenSea. I just fear that too many people will lose money…

1 minute ago, D C said:

Paying for something to which you have no legal title, and can't prevent anyone else from owning or copying it.    Who wouldn't want to get in on THAT?!

Do you want a list? 🤪

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 11:33 AM, chuckroast1 said:

I'm saving my money to buy digital tulip bulbs. It's gonna be the next big thing...

I hear Celebrity will be changing it's name the The South Sea Company to go along with hawking these NFT's and Royal will be selling the shares to eager cruisers.... at 20x revenue. Hey, if you don't have earnings, it's got to be x something. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

20 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I'm more interested in why he said the following:

The closest analogy I can think of is this. You're on a cruise for the first time, and you visit one of the beautiful islands in the Caribbean. When you get off the ship, you are dropped off at a village that sells all types of goods - Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Gucci. How many of these items do you think are real and authentic?

NFT's are very similar. A lot of NFT's aren't real, or verified, or offer any real utility. (In the case of the Celebrity NFT, the utility is the free trip, not the artwork).

People can lose money because they believe they are getting a deal, or they just flat out click a fake phishing link via email or Facebook chat, and they lose the NFTs immediately (like money being drained from your bank account immediately). The worst part is that there is no customer service when you purchase, sell or lose a NFT.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:33 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Those who already know how NFTs work, and made an informed choice about whether they want to speculate on them, one would expect.

Not just because they got an email from Celebrity, heard NFTs mentioned elsewhere, and think this must be a great deal because a brand they know is giving an easy entry to get something they weren't sure about.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, frankgallager said:

Now it's a real trend, but what's so in them honestly hard to understand.

The trend had pretty already died off a couple of months after Celebrity's foray. It was always a Greater Fool idea like tulip bulbs or beanie babies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyCapn said:

The trend had pretty already died off a couple of months after Celebrity's foray. It was always a Greater Fool idea like tulip bulbs or beanie babies.

Was a super risky investment...The NFT promoted by X is still for sale at about $4,170