Thinking about next cruise, comparing our first two

bigrednole

We took our first cruise on Magic over Thanksgiving 2021. Our second was on NCL Breakaway over spring break. I still think I might have a different opinion if our ports stops weren't screwed over. Even that, we had much more fun on the Magic. People were just more fun and party type atmosphere. My wife asked about next Summer and I said I would only look at Carnival. We can't decide whether to do Western again to do everything NCL messed up on or do Southern to try the ABCs.

I do think it is refreshing to hear that maybe the stars weren't aligned right on your NCL cruise, so you would give them another chance. 

Personally, I'd do southern itineraries when possible. Not that western is bad. Western ones tend to sneak up on hot deals and whatnot. Chances are you'll be back there before you know it.

Southern itineraries are awesome and are not offered as much so I recommend that itinerary over a Western itinerary.  We are doing a southern itinerary in January on Horizon and previously did one on Conquest. Definitely our favorite islands! 

We have sailed both Carnival and Norwegian and have enjoyed both cruise lines. Ironically, both of our spring break cruises on Norwegian had tons of college spring breakers and had more of a party vibe. That's too bad you had a messed up itinerary on your Norwegian cruise. I'm sure it was disappointing!

Agree with others about the Southern Caribbean.  Those islands are fun and it is harder to find those cruises.  Also I would stick to the newer ships, if possible.  So Celebration, Mardi Gras, and even the Horizon, if you can book in the Horizon’s Havana area. 

I've done ncl 3 times and thought the food was better but perhaps I'd done too many carnival and rcl in a row and it was just the change of menu I enjoyed.

I'm on the dream jan 2024 and it does panama costa Rica and Columbia then aruba and curacao..it skips the b island. I've read somewhere about bonaire ..and why ships have been skipping it lately. Might be covid related indent remember.. we get jamaica instead of bonaire. 

I know very far away but we already have 100 on our roll call. There is one identical cruise this october my friend is paying over 5k for a balcony on dream. I only have one of those nice large port holes. Every port hole is booked for jan 2024. We want to see out at ports. I wish carnival would show excursions early. We are quite looking forward to this cruise.

What will be special on a journeys cruise. 

Southern Caribbean is one of my favorite itineraries.  However, we probably do Western Caribbean the most frequently (especially this past year) as it seems to always be available.  We are pretty loyal to Carnival - the only time I tried NCL, I got food poisoning (I know, it could happen anywhere but I've never gotten sick in approximately 20 Carnival cruises) and it's just one of those things where you end up with a subconscious aversion.

I knew I recently read about bonaire being off cruise schedules. Dream is only doing A and C of ABC islands. Hard to find a cruise actually going there. .and docking. I'll be interested if the oct 2022 dream does the scheduled ports.

I didnt see a location of the OP so dont know which port they are considering. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=6683

20220604_104827341.jpeg

Western Itineraries are really nice, I think they just get overlooked because they are common.  

That said, Southern itineraries are much less common, so if you find one that is just as easy to cruise as the Western, go South, as these stars don't always align so easily.  

• Like 2

We're doing the Southern route next year in a Havana Aft Balcony on the Horizon. Funny story - I thought I was booking for Nov this year, but after I booked realized I had accidentally booked it for Nov 2023. Whoops. But hey, I'm keeping it! 🤷‍♀️ 😂

I like that the Southern route has an extra day and it just feels different down there - even different stars to enjoy at night.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We're doing the Southern route next year in a Havana Aft Balcony on the Horizon. Funny story - I thought I was booking for Nov this year, but after I booked realized I had accidentally booked it for Nov 2023. Whoops. But hey, I'm keeping it! 🤷‍♀️ 😂

I like that the Southern route has an extra day and it just feels different down there - even different stars to enjoy at night.

we did exactly ship cabin and cruise and loved it!

• Like 1