RCCL Staff did not recognize Virginia Enhanced Drivers License

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, you are lawful, so it is ok, my point was only to make that the DL with a star is not an ID to get you international travel.  

I didn't mean to sound pedantic just to provide clarity.  If I did I apologize.

33 minutes ago, rudeney said:

They are very picky about those items and about half the people who attempt this process are rejected.  They often reject the "proof of address" document if it's a copy and not an "original"

I am by no means knowledgeable of all the states individual requirements. Rejecting the "proof of address" is apparently quite common in a few states, and to the best of my knowledge what is acceptable as "proof of address" is determined by the states, not the Act, so I will leave the reader to determine their states reasons for accepting/rejecting these documents. The states are free to issue DL's that are not REAL ID compliant if they so choose, but they will not be considered valid ID by the Feds.  Some states have made it very easy to switch over, and some have fought the conversion. I am lucky to be in a state that switched 12 years ago (FL), one can only empathize with those who have it more difficult.

41 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Welcome to Rhode Island. I went to AAA with the required documents and was told I needed to go to the main DMV branch because my passport had my middle name and my license only had my middle initial. I just renewed my license and left. I've been told the DMV rectified this with AAA but I have little interest until my license expires again. Maybe even less interest by then.

For some reason, when my wife did her official name change after we married, instead of using her maiden name as her middle name, she used her given middle name.  This has caused all sorts of issues because she always writes and signs her name with the middle initial "H" (maiden name) and that's what her driver's license shows.  Her legal middle initial according to Social Security is "D".  We had issues with this many years ago when we were cruising without passports.  We brought our marriage certificate, but the name on her DL uses "H" ao it took a few minutes with supervisor scrutiny to approve it.  Now, we just use passports (which on hers shows "D" as the middle name).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I am by no means knowledgeable of all the states individual requirements. Rejecting the "proof of address" is apparently quite common in a few states, and to the best of my knowledge what is acceptable as "proof of address" is determined by the states, not the Act, so I will leave the reader to determine their states reasons for accepting/rejecting these documents. The states are free to issue DL's that are not REAL ID compliant if they so choose, but they will not be considered valid ID by the Feds.  Some states have made it very easy to switch over, and some have fought the conversion. I am lucky to be in a state that switched 12 years ago (FL), one can only empathize with those who have it more difficult.

Alabama has a list of acceptable items for proof of address - you need TWO of these:

• Valid Alabama Driver License or Identification Card displaying applicant's current address
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Residential Mortgage Contract
  • Current Lease or Rental agreement for housing
  • Proof of payment of residential property tax (Homestead)
  • Previous year tax returns bearing applicants address
  • Vehicle registration bearing applicants name and address
  • Utility bill (Water, Gas, or Electric) less than 90 days old
  • Any State or Federal Court documents indicating residence address
  • School enrollment documentation
  • Defense Department Form 214 (Report of Separation)
  • Sex offender registration documents
  • Current Homeowners insurance policy with name and address
  • Social Security benefits statements/summary mailed to physical address
  • U.S. or State Government check or other document mailed to applicants physical address
  • Military Orders documenting duty station and place of residence.

Other than my DL, the only other thing I'd have an original of is vehicle registration.  Of the other items I do have, none of them are "originals" - they are all electronic, and some of the examiners simply won't accept "copies".  Personally, I believe they do this just to be bureaucratic a-h0les, because they are very inconsistent with requiring originals.  But as I've said, I am not worried about it as I use a passport for federal ID needs.

2 hours ago, Big_G said:

Welcome to Rhode Island. I went to AAA with the required documents and was told I needed to go to the main DMV branch because my passport had my middle name and my license only had my middle initial. I just renewed my license and left. I've been told the DMV rectified this with AAA but I have little interest until my license expires again. Maybe even less interest by then.

Very interesting.  My driver's license also had only my middle initial and my passport has my full middle name.  The woman at AAA told me my license would have my full middle name from now on and accepted all the documents I had with me.  I went in March of this year, maybe AAA had gotten the word out by then.  I was just going to get a non compliant license if I had issues with the documents I had with me too.  I had brought extras too, just incase something was rejected.  My son had issues when he went for his but it was because the passport system was down and they couldn't read the barcode.  He had to come home for an alternate document.  Too bad he didn't listen to his mother and bring extra. 😱

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 3:11 PM, rudeney said:

I have a passport, so I have no need for a "REAL ID", "Star ID" or "Enhanced Driver License".  There is no I tried to get a Star ID a few years back.  After waiting hours to see an examiner, I was denied because the utility bill I presented was a "copy" and they require an "original".  I get no utility bills by mail - they are all electronic, so any bill I can hand them will come off my printer.  That's when I decided I did not need to bother with it.  

I would not want have to carry a passport to fly domestic. It really is not a bother to get the needed documents.

Some states are only issuing Real ID licenses. When I renewed in Maryland I had no choice. When I moved to Texas I had to get a Real ID license. 

18 hours ago, Coralc said:

That's kind of funny. (not) A friend of ours tried to board a cruise with a CA Real ID and learned the same thing as the OP. A Real ID is not a substitute for a passport. 

I am afraid that the way we are in the US that is gonig to happen a lot. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

A little bit of research goes a long way.......and not some hearsay, of people on facebook or other boards.  A star on your license is required by law now to make sure you are a valid citizen and qualify for the license.  You need it to travel domestically on planes.  It is not a passport, and is not acceptable for travel outside the country.  

Not yet. The effective date keeps get postponed. 

5 hours ago, RedIguana said:

so it is pretty much a moot point once the drivers license renewal times cycle through.

Some states have made it optional and charge an extra fee for Real ID. In Maryland it is not optional for US cirizens or legal residents. They have to get Real ID. However they will issue non Real ID licenses to undocumented aliens.

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

Alabama has a list of acceptable items for proof of address - you need TWO of these:

• Valid Alabama Driver License or Identification Card displaying applicant's current address
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Residential Mortgage Contract
  • Current Lease or Rental agreement for housing
  • Proof of payment of residential property tax (Homestead)
  • Previous year tax returns bearing applicants address
  • Vehicle registration bearing applicants name and address
  • Utility bill (Water, Gas, or Electric) less than 90 days old
  • Any State or Federal Court documents indicating residence address
  • School enrollment documentation
  • Defense Department Form 214 (Report of Separation)
  • Sex offender registration documents
  • Current Homeowners insurance policy with name and address
  • Social Security benefits statements/summary mailed to physical address
  • U.S. or State Government check or other document mailed to applicants physical address
  • Military Orders documenting duty station and place of residence.

Other than my DL, the only other thing I'd have an original of is vehicle registration.  Of the other items I do have, none of them are "originals" - they are all electronic, and some of the examiners simply won't accept "copies".  Personally, I believe they do this just to be bureaucratic a-h0les, because they are very inconsistent with requiring originals.  But as I've said, I am not worried about it as I use a passport for federal ID needs.

Well you only need 2 and you had them so not sure why you’d have a problem.  I’m sure others would have access to other documents.    That’s why there are many options on the list.

On 6/6/2022 at 3:07 PM, BillHoo said:

Because the State of Virginia tells me REAL ID is the alternative to the passport and they have no other alternatives.

Look up "Enhanced Drivers License Virginia" and you get Virginia DMV REAL ID.

In Pennsylvania we have Real ID, but my understanding is it's for plane travel nothing to do with leaving the country. If you don't have it you will need a passport to get on a plane between 2 states, or enter a federal building.

Edited by cruise1957

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Well you only need 2 and you had them so not sure why you’d have a problem.  I’m sure others would have access to other documents.    That’s why there are many options on the list.

I had my DL and my power bill.  But the bill was printed from the powerco's website - I get all my bills electronically.  I was told that it had to be an "original" paper bill mailed from the utility, not a "printed copy".  I did not think about my tag receipt, but once they reject you, you have to come back for another appt.  Even with my appt I waited about 3 hours, and it takes a lot of tries to even get an appt.  It was just too much trouble, and I needed to get my DL renewed,  so I gave up and decided to use my passport.  

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I would not want have to carry a passport to fly domestic. It really is not a bother to get the needed documents.

Some states are only issuing Real ID licenses. When I renewed in Maryland I had no choice. When I moved to Texas I had to get a Real ID license. 

I carry my passport whenever I travel - it stays in my carry-on bag.  Who knows when I might need to make an emergency trip overseas - or take an unplanned cruise! 😀

Alabama's REAL ID is optional.  On my next renewal, if I don't get it, I will have a banner on it that says "Not Valid for Federal ID".

4 hours ago, rudeney said:

I had my DL and my power bill.  But the bill was printed from the powerco's website - I get all my bills electronically.  I was told that it had to be an "original" paper bill mailed from the utility, not a "printed copy".  I did not think about my tag receipt, but once they reject you, you have to come back for another appt.  Even with my appt I waited about 3 hours, and it takes a lot of tries to even get an appt.  It was just too much trouble, and I needed to get my DL renewed,  so I gave up and decided to use my passport.  

Unless you are printing the bill directly from the web page and not from a PDF, there is no reason why this wouldn't be accepted.  Todays printers print well enough to not tell the difference.  Like I said unless you printed the actual web page.

1 minute ago, whitshel said:

Unless you are printing the bill directly from the web page and not from a PDF, there is no reason why this wouldn't be accepted.  Todays printers print well enough to not tell the difference.  Like I said unless you printed the actual web page.

I printed it form the downloaded PDF, but I was told it needed to be in the original envelope with the postage on it.  I haver several friends who had the same experience.  My granddaughter got her REAL ID in Georgia and didn't even have to show any of that.  The issue in Alabama is the State Troopers office manages driver's licensing and the examiners are actual troopers doing "side work".  In Alabama, State Troopers serve one purpose: To write traffic citations on state and federal highways.  Period.  They do not stop and help motorist (they do have a few rescue trucks for that), they do not work accidents unless it's a death on the freeway and they shut it down for local police/sheriffs to investigate.  They don't like having to do this "desk duty" so they treat everyone coming in like a "dumb criminal" and make sure they exert their power.  Yes, traffic cops in Alabama are as bad as the reputation portrayed in the movies - actually, even worse.

11 hours ago, rudeney said:

For some reason, when my wife did her official name change after we married, instead of using her maiden name as her middle name, she used her given middle name.  This has caused all sorts of issues because she always writes and signs her name with the middle initial "H" (maiden name) and that's what her driver's license shows.  Her legal middle initial according to Social Security is "D".  We had issues with this many years ago when we were cruising without passports.  We brought our marriage certificate, but the name on her DL uses "H" ao it took a few minutes with supervisor scrutiny to approve it.  Now, we just use passports (which on hers shows "D" as the middle name).

Does your wife use a hyphenated last name using her maiden name-married name?

Is that why she needed to use her maiden name as her middle name? Just trying to figure out why she would be using her maiden name as her middle name.

When my wife and I married 36 years ago she just took my last name and kept her given middle name..

Forgive me for all the questions. As I age I get more curious about things.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Does your wife use a hyphenated last name using her maiden name-married name?

Is that why she needed to use her maiden name as her middle name? Just trying to figure out why she would be using her maiden name as her middle name.

When my wife and I married 36 years ago she just took my last name and kept her given middle name..

Forgive me for all the questions. As I age I get more curious about things.

No, she did not hyphenate and her official (registered with Social Security) names uses her given middle name (Darlene) as her middle name, and my last name as her last name.  But when she writes her name, she uses her maiden name (Hoffman) has her middle name.  Her DL even has Hoffman as her middle name, but her passport, social security card, and even employer records all use Darlene.  The mismatch between her DL and SS card sometimes causes issues.  

52 minutes ago, rudeney said:

No, she did not hyphenate and her official (registered with Social Security) names uses her given middle name (Darlene) as her middle name, and my last name as her last name.  But when she writes her name, she uses her maiden name (Hoffman) has her middle name.  Her DL even has Hoffman as her middle name, but her passport, social security card, and even employer records all use Darlene.  The mismatch between her DL and SS card sometimes causes issues.  

Thanks for coming back to clarify my questions. Appreciate it. 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rudeney said:

I printed it form the downloaded PDF, but I was told it needed to be in the original envelope with the postage on it.  I haver several friends who had the same experience.  My granddaughter got her REAL ID in Georgia and didn't even have to show any of that.  The issue in Alabama is the State Troopers office manages driver's licensing and the examiners are actual troopers doing "side work".  In Alabama, State Troopers serve one purpose: To write traffic citations on state and federal highways.  Period.  They do not stop and help motorist (they do have a few rescue trucks for that), they do not work accidents unless it's a death on the freeway and they shut it down for local police/sheriffs to investigate.  They don't like having to do this "desk duty" so they treat everyone coming in like a "dumb criminal" and make sure they exert their power.  Yes, traffic cops in Alabama are as bad as the reputation portrayed in the movies - actually, even worse.

The reason they want the postmarked envelope is to verify that a piece of mail sent to you by a company through the USPS reaches you at your legal address.  Considering the push for electronic transmission of bills etc, they really need to revisit this requirement.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, poocher said:

The reason they want the postmarked envelope is to verify that a piece of mail sent to you by a company through the USPS reaches you at your legal address.  Considering the push for electronic transmission of bills etc, they really need to revisit this requirement.

I didn't need something like that in Texas. It was pretty straight forward. I think Alabama is weird. Below is what i needed when I moved here. 

An original or certified copy of a Birth Certificate or an unexpired U.S. Passport Book or Card

Social Security Card

Current Texas Vehicle Registration or Title

Current Car Insurance Policy or Car Insurance Statement

If your name changed, legal documents showing proof of name change from your birth name

On 6/6/2022 at 10:54 PM, rudeney said:

I still don't understand jumping through all these hops when you can get a passport and be done with it. 

For an Enhanced License? I could see it making sense for someone that lives close to the Canadian border and happens to cross it frequently. Why bother with always making sure your passport with you if you go that often? Some places towns on either side are really close where one could be crossing it a lot. But for the majority of people it makes more sense to just get a passport. 

If you were referring to REAL ID - well once they require it for US domestic flights I don't want to bother taking my passport with me to fly from FL to NY so REAL ID license it is. You only have to do it once. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I didn't need something like that in Texas. It was pretty straight forward. I think Alabama is weird. Below is what i needed when I moved here. 

An original or certified copy of a Birth Certificate or an unexpired U.S. Passport Book or Card

Social Security Card

If your name changed, legal documents showing proof of name change from your birth name

Yes, Alabama is weird!  The state officials dealing with driver licensing are horrible.  They are a part of law enforcement, and they always seem to be on a power trip and assume everyone they are working with is a dumb criminal.  As a contrast, the employees that work for my county DMV (dealing with car registration) are wonderful!  There's almost never much of a line and they are friendly and helpful.  I've had some complicated transactions that they really worked hard to resolve.  

I think all of that would have worked in Alabama except the car insurance policy - that's not on our list as an acceptable form of ID.  Like I said, the issue is the attitude of the examiners and the fact that about half the time, they reject anything that looks like it came off a copier or was printed on home computer.  It seems to be the luck of the draw as to what sort of mood the examiner is in.  Oh, and one of the items can be an Alabama DL, but it can't be expired - it must be current.  That is despite the fact that we have a 60-day grace period beyond the printed date where a DL is still valid.  It's the law, but the examiners won't accept it as valid after the expiration date.

34 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Social Security Card

The original vehicle registration takes the place of delivered mail.  In CT I showed BC,  vehicle reg, marriage license and current DL.  I remember when my daughter first moved to Florida and did not yet have a FL DL, Disney required a bank statement that had come through the USPS to prove she lived in Florida.  We called her bank & the branch manager mailed her a statement.  Worked!

Edited by poocher

30 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Yes, Alabama is weird!  The state officials dealing with driver licensing are horrible.  They are a part of law enforcement, and they always seem to be on a power trip and assume everyone they are working with is a dumb criminal.  As a contrast, the employees that work for my county DMV (dealing with car registration) are wonderful!  There's almost never much of a line and they are friendly and helpful.  I've had some complicated transactions that they really worked hard to resolve.  

I think all of that would have worked in Alabama except the car insurance policy - that's not on our list as an acceptable form of ID.  Like I said, the issue is the attitude of the examiners and the fact that about half the time, they reject anything that looks like it came off a copier or was printed on home computer.  It seems to be the luck of the draw as to what sort of mood the examiner is in.  Oh, and one of the items can be an Alabama DL, but it can't be expired - it must be current.  That is despite the fact that we have a 60-day grace period beyond the printed date where a DL is still valid.  It's the law, but the examiners won't accept it as valid after the expiration date.

I don’t think the insurance policy was being used for ID. It appears to be a requirement for a DL.