On Britannia now - reality check

Orianababes

Hi

Thought that I’d give my perspective on the first week or so of the current Britannia cruise. I fully appreciate that others may differ and that all we can give is our own true feelings

Boarding - no real issues. Some came early and so queues seen - but that always happened in the past

Staff - A number of new staff, more that pre covid. Getting good training and politeness levels are as good or better than before

Still evidence of understaffing but not really detrimental. No longer wine waiters as such but service is as pre covid for wine delivery

No turndown service. Surprisingly found it mattered little to us.

Entertainment. Headliners up to usual very high standard and new shows. Adele tribute and Benjamin’s Moss both good standard. Have not used Limelight and have heard no comments.

Food in MDRs. Slightly less choice and the always available are now in main menu. Wine bottles now stored overnight again. Quality of food as always was. The booking system is workable.

So far Epicurean is the only place other than MDR we have visited. Again back to old high levels of quality

Two stops were changed as we were told insufficient buses. Think bus industry is suffering staffing issues much as the airlines. To us changes meant no upset but sad for those who specifically wanted Marseilles or Valencia - to date not spoken to one person upset by changes, but there will have been some 

pre Cruise testing. Not an issue to be honest. I bet it speeded up boarding rather than the testing at the dockside.

Prices on board. Still equate well to at home..Shops appear to have gone up market and seen little trade.

One thing which sums us cruisers up - - the perfumery has no testers for public use ; shop staff have them though and quite willing to give you tests. Funny bit is perfumery is almost empty of those people who “had a little squirt” before the evening meal (I plead guilty to that in the past😁)

Overall the cruise has been as enjoyable as in the past - so please don’t be disheartened and look forward to it/them

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Great revue and very helpful.

Covid permitting, my wife and I hope to join Britannia at the weekend and from what you say it seems as good as it ever was.

Glad the've resolved the saving of wine and, having done many Med cruises, it wouldn't worry me if some of the ports are changed. In fact it may mean we go somewhere we've not been before!

Thanks for your report and hope your cruise continues as well as it appears to have started.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Orianababes said:

Hi

Thought that I’d give my perspective on the first week or so of the current Britannia cruise. I fully appreciate that others may differ and that all we can give is our own true feelings

Boarding - no real issues. Some came early and so queues seen - but that always happened in the past

Staff - A number of new staff, more that pre covid. Getting good training and politeness levels are as good or better than before

Still evidence of understaffing but not really detrimental. No longer wine waiters as such but service is as pre covid for wine delivery

No turndown service. Surprisingly found it mattered little to us.

Entertainment. Headliners up to usual very high standard and new shows. Adele tribute and Benjamin’s Moss both good standard. Have not used Limelight and have heard no comments.

Food in MDRs. Slightly less choice and the always available are now in main menu. Wine bottles now stored overnight again. Quality of food as always was. The booking system is workable.

So far Epicurean is the only place other than MDR we have visited. Again back to old high levels of quality

Two stops were changed as we were told insufficient buses. Think bus industry is suffering staffing issues much as the airlines. To us changes meant no upset but sad for those who specifically wanted Marseilles or Valencia - to date not spoken to one person upset by changes, but there will have been some 

pre Cruise testing. Not an issue to be honest. I bet it speeded up boarding rather than the testing at the dockside.

Prices on board. Still equate well to at home..Shops appear to have gone up market and seen little trade.

One thing which sums us cruisers up - - the perfumery has no testers for public use ; shop staff have them though and quite willing to give you tests. Funny bit is perfumery is almost empty of those people who “had a little squirt” before the evening meal (I plead guilty to that in the past😁)

Overall the cruise has been as enjoyable as in the past - so please don’t be disheartened and look forward to it/them

Do you have to book a time to eat in the MDR using the App or do you join a virtual queue, or is there still the option of having a pager if a table is not available. As we will not be taking a smart phone or tablet with us.

Good to hear this as we will be on Britannia this weekend. Where did the cruise go to instead of Valencia? Was it Toulon instead of Marseilles? I wonder if that will have changed on the next cruise

20 hours ago, Palaceman said:

Hi Orianababes.

Re MDR. What do you mean by "The booking system is workable"?  Thanks

There is an app like system on board for booking freedom dining. Quite easy but if you don’t like tech you can still queue as before. The Club dining is just the same as pre covid

• Like 1

19 hours ago, loveheart said:

Good to hear this as we will be on Britannia this weekend. Where did the cruise go to instead of Valencia? Was it Toulon instead of Marseilles? I wonder if that will have changed on the next cruise

Hi. Went to Cartagena. Enjoyed it

• Like 2

20 hours ago, True Devonian said:

Do you have to book a time to eat in the MDR using the App or do you join a virtual queue, or is there still the option of having a pager if a table is not available. As we will not be taking a smart phone or tablet with us.

No need to worry. Freedom dining old style is basically the same. Easiest access is in the first half hour

8 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

No, Toulon is not nice but Cartagena is. Roman amphitheatre is worth seeing.

I have been on two 'Tapas Trail' excursions in Cartagena, we visited the Roman amphitheatre. We had to half carry one lady back to the ship, too many tipples. 🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, loveheart said:

Thank you. I've not been there before so I don't mind. Not too keen on Toulon though

Cartagena is a lovely, unspoilt Spanish Town. You dock right in the centre so easy to diy.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I have been on two 'Tapas Trail' excursions in Cartagena, we visited the Roman amphitheatre. We had to half carry one lady back to the ship, too many tipples. 🥳

Glad you enjoyed them but the 'Tapas Trail' excursions always seem a bit of a rip-off to me, considering the cost of wine & tapas in Spain...

• Like 1

How easy is to get seats in the theatre? Do you have to book on the app as soon as you board, I am a bit worried about that as if you get a late boarding time you could miss out on the theatre for the whole cruise if others book up as soon as they board. Any advise on this much appreciated. 

11 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

How easy is to get seats in the theatre? Do you have to book on the app as soon as you board, I am a bit worried about that as if you get a late boarding time you could miss out on the theatre for the whole cruise if others book up as soon as they board. Any advise on this much appreciated. 

I don't know if it's the same on Britannia but on Ventura you could book the theatre up to 14 days before sailing. Keep checking your account because some shows appeared just a few days before sailing. 

Great to hear that they have reverted to storing unfinished bottles of wines for subsequent nights and I hope that now applies to all the ships. Lack of busses is a new one and can be added to the long list of excuses for cancelled ports! 🤔 On a serious note, it’s encouraging that things are slowly but surely returning to normal. The abolition of quarantine zones, with the associated last minute unwelcome cabin changes, is the big one that I’m looking out for. 

3 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

Currently no booking is necessary - just turn up on the night.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The Marseilles bus situation is a strange one.

We were there a couple of weeks ago, and the coach shuttle was in full swing.  

Where did it drop you off wowzz, is it at the old town harbour, and is the area wheelchair friendly?

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Where did it drop you off wowzz, is it at the old town harbour, and is the area wheelchair friendly?

Yes John, dropped us off near the old town harbour. 

The area round the harbour is flat,  no cobble stones etc, so pretty wheelchair friendly. 

However,  the bus stop is at the top of a slight incline. Not overly steep, but might be a bit of an effort on your return. Sorry not to be more helpful.   

58 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes John, dropped us off near the old town harbour. 

The area round the harbour is flat,  no cobble stones etc, so pretty wheelchair friendly. 

However,  the bus stop is at the top of a slight incline. Not overly steep, but might be a bit of an effort on your return. Sorry not to be more helpful.   

Thanks for that info. as long as the inclines not too steep or too long I should be able to manage , if not I can always take a taxi back to the ship.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

The Marseilles bus situation is a strange one.

We were there a couple of weeks ago, and the coach shuttle was in full swing.  

I’ve not checked but apparently a number of large ships were in Marseilles on our day and that led to bus issue. Heard no complaints about switch to Toulon but no doubt some would be disappointed 

15 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

It isn’t necessary to book; but if you do then you have the certainty of getting in to the show rather than turning up and finding theatre full

2 hours ago, Orianababes said:

It isn’t necessary to book; but if you do then you have the certainty of getting in to the show rather than turning up and finding theatre full

Actually, I don't think you gave an actual reservation as such, because no one checks when you enter the theatre,  according to other posters. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Fionboard said:

No, Toulon is not nice but Cartagena is. Roman amphitheatre is worth seeing.

We were in Toulon end of April and quite enjoyed it. Took a little road train around the town and out to the beach. Then coffee and a snack. A little shopping, a walk along the marina and back to the ship. We’ve stopped at worse places. 

• Like 1