Face Masks - again!

Cruise Puss

Hi everyone,

Can anyone currently on any Cunard ship confirm that they are still asking you to wear a mask all the time (except when sitting) around inside the ships?

Also, does anyone know when this will stop?

Many thanks.

CP

from looking at the roll call that seems to be the case. Someone commented they think it will remain whilst the ship is calling at US ports, so once it leaves Fort Lauderdale in August it may stop. Though I guess if it calls at other places eg Bermuda, that will depend on their own rules. So basically, who knows! 

The use of face masks inside,  will be driven by two things, the local requirements and the number of covid cased onboard.

Unfortunately, I think face masks are with us in some form or another for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Cruise Puss said:

Hi everyone,

Can anyone currently on any Cunard ship confirm that they are still asking you to wear a mask all the time (except when sitting) around inside the ships?

Also, does anyone know when this will stop?

Many thanks.

CP

They don't seem to be the case on the current QM2 crossing whic is being blogged about.

57 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They don't seem to be the case on the current QM2 crossing whic is being blogged about.

That's interesting.  Unfortunately we aren't travelling on QM2, we are going on QV in October out of Southampton.

We were prepared to put up with them last year, but it is not something we are prepared to put up with now.

We were also wondering if they are still not allowing passengers to sit at the Bars on board?

Any helpful comments would be great re this.  😊

Edited by Cruise Puss

We were on the QM2 May 22 - 29th to Norway.

Facemasks were not a requirement inside or in the theatre and people were sitting at bars.

It was just about like 'old' times.

Covid cases were increasing towards the end of the cruise however.

My wife tested positive upon returning home on the 30th.

Thank fully she is ok now.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, gfs1ram said:

We were on the QM2 May 22 - 29th to Norway.

Facemasks were not a requirement inside or in the theatre and people were sitting at bars.

It was just about like 'old' times.

Covid cases were increasing towards the end of the cruise however.

My wife tested positive upon returning home on the 30th.

Thank fully she is ok now.

Many thanks for this. 😊

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

If that's our posts to show off my wife's outfits, then perhaps this photo of us entering Britannia heading for Club at 13:15 today is more representative of our mask policy.

We wear masks whenever it is practical to do so.

It is only mandatory in medical centre, advisory everywhere else.

Compress_20220609_131555_5647.jpg

• Like 7

On the QE with Castro and Millie. Compliance with the indoor mask rule would be close to 100%, though I have seen a couple of renegades in the theatre. Masks are not required while seated in any of the lounges or dining areas or using the gym. 

• Like 2

We've been exploring our options for an early Fall cruise/crossing, but until Cunard has one policy for all ships operating in international waters, we'll opt for a Month in London and again enjoy the BBC Proms.  Since there is consistently more info here than is available from Cunard's TAs or on their website, it's not yet time for us to return to the high seas.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, porsena said:

On the QE with Castro and Millie. Compliance with the indoor mask rule would be close to 100%, though I have seen a couple of renegades in the theatre. Masks are not required while seated in any of the lounges or dining areas or using the gym. 

On QM2 we wear masks whenever we move from one apparatus to another in the gym, as we do in France. And as in France we are very much in the minority.

• Like 1

We were on QM2 from May 15 to June5th, and masks were strongly recommended,  it not required. We always wore ours, but a number of passengers didn’t.  They did stick to 4 passengers in the elevators which everyone seemed to follow.  We would have liked to see more masks. 

• Like 2

My DW and I will be sailing this coming September for 14 days to NE/CAN on the QM2.

We watching many posts and comments and will till close to the date to see the activity on the ship.

Since we have been compliance since March 2020 even after getting all the require shots, will expect to wear masks in all the areas that make sense for protection. Even if they are not required but the amount of space occupied by other passengers. Yes, if we feel comfortable on the Promenade Deck and other open areas, we will most likely bypass the use of a K95 mask. 

Inside and areas with crowds our decision will be made at that time. Of course we will use common sense but caution is 1st. 

We have waited about 5 years after our responsibility of taking special care of my dear parents which included 2 sailings canceled due to this health emergency would allow us to look forward to returning to sailing. But we will return to the next sailing booked and many more in the future.

Being retired Medical Workers we are very a tuned to medical precautions at work and proper sanitary practices. 

We are looking forward to a safe and pleasant sailing and look forward to the Majestic Care & Service we always enjoyed in the past and hope in the future.

And hope other passengers will join in making our joint experiences a special one to enjoy. 

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 5

On 6/10/2022 at 1:09 PM, FritzG said:

We were on QM2 from May 15 to June5th, and masks were strongly recommended,  it not required. We always wore ours, but a number of passengers didn’t.  They did stick to 4 passengers in the elevators which everyone seemed to follow.  We would have liked to see more masks. 

If I was sailing right now - and masking was optional - I wouldn't be using masks. Not because I don't care but because we've both had Omicron in May . So we know the chance of getting reinjected by that variant is slim to none in full  vaxed /boosted healthy people.  So we can neither be infected or infect anyone else, until there is a new variant come along. 

5 hours ago, lissie said:

If I was sailing right now - and masking was optional - I wouldn't be using masks. Not because I don't care but because we've both had Omicron in May . So we know the chance of getting reinjected by that variant is slim to none in full  vaxed /boosted healthy people.  So we can neither be infected or infect anyone else, until there is a new variant come along. 

According to the ONS, two new subvariants have arrived. Isn't that nice?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

According to the ONS, two new subvariants have arrived. Isn't that nice?

We'll be taking our masks with us, especially for tight areas such as lifts. I will follow 'caution is 1st'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We think there has been a slight but noticeable increase in mask wearing on QM2 since beginning of week.

We rarely use lifts, preferring our 191 stairs in each direction.

Have only shared a lift once with last week's table companions.

With a severely disabled immunocompromised relative we are acutely aware of risks of being asymptomatic and passing it on.

And last week's street party and the UK immigration queue were potential super-spreader events.

Edited by D&N

1 hour ago, D&N said:

We think there has been a slight but noticeable increase in mask wearing on QM2 since beginning of week.

We rarely use lifts, preferring our 191 stairs in each direction.

Have only shared a lift once with last week's table companions.

With a severely disabled immunocompromised relative we are acutely aware of risks of being asymptomatic and passing it on.

And last week's street party and the UK immigration queue were potential super-spreader events.

Sadly, although I could climb up any number of stairs [given oxygen half way up!] I have to use a lift to come down.

Thanks for your input over the last two weeks. I can't believe how quickly it's gone.

• Haha 1