Face masks are back on North and Southbound Alaska

Jeter02

Was just told this morning and just read it from The Princess website as well that face masks are now going to be required on the ship for all North and southbound Alaskan cruises as the posotive count continues to rise.

Personally that doesn't bother me, as I rather be safe than sorry especially if I'm on for multiple cruises. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

That is the reason we are not booking until we are sure the masks have gone away for good.  Would hate to have a cruise booked thinking the protocols were to our liking only to have them changed before the cruise.  Will just stay with fun land vacations where masks are not required.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Was just told this morning and just read it from The Princess website as well that face masks are now going to be required on the ship for all North and southbound Alaskan cruises as the posotive count continues to rise.

Personally that doesn't bother me, as I rather be safe than sorry especially if I'm on for multiple cruises. 

Do you have a link to the Princess website where it shows this?   I don't see it.   thanks

1 minute ago, cruzin4us said:

Do you have a link to the Princess website where it shows this?   I don't see it.   thanks

Updated june 3 yesterday.

Under health protocols…onboard experience 

UPDATED: Will I have to wear a face mask?

Masks are recommended, but not required, in the majority of venues, though they may be required in select venues or situations. Please note that in an abundance of caution masks are required at all indoor locations on northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver until further notice. Masks will be provided to guests if needed.

This will be clearly designated through signage and onboard communications.

We recommend guests wash or replace their mask daily and choose a good quality mask. Masks should have two or more layers, completely cover the nose and mouth, fit snuggly against the sides of the face and have a nose wire. Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask.

We'll provide complimentary surgical masks on board with replacements available upon request.

Additionally, when going ashore, guests should be prepared to follow all local health guidelines, the status of which will be shared with guests prior to debarkation at the destination.

• Thanks 5

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Masks are recommended, but not required, in the majority of venues, though they may be required in select venues or situations. Please note that in an abundance of caution masks are required at all indoor locations on northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver until further notice. Masks will be provided to guests if needed.

We recommend guests wash or replace their mask daily and choose a good quality mask. Masks should have two or more layers, completely cover the nose and mouth, fit snuggly against the sides of the face and have a nose wire. Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask.

We'll provide complimentary surgical masks on board with replacements available upon request.

Additionally, when going ashore, guests should be prepared to follow all local health guidelines, the status of which will be shared with guests prior to debarkation at the destination.

Recently on the news, Alaska covid cases was high.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

R & U

Cheers

Interesting that there have been recent reports about the lack of cleaning on the ships.  If Princess does not have enough staff to keep up they need to limit the capacity or get more help (which I realize is probably not possible.  We are on the Grand in July - not happy about this but this cruise has been in the works since 2019 so we are going.  Fortunately for Alaska we may be sitting on our balcony a lot!

We sailed on Celebrity in April and they were so quick to clean the tables, pick up towels etc it was amazing.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

It sounds just like the Enchanted in the Caribbean.

95% of the people went unmasked for the most part.

16 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Interesting that there have been recent reports about the lack of cleaning on the ships.  If Princess does not have enough staff to keep up they need to limit the capacity or get more help (which I realize is probably not possible.  We are on the Grand in July - not happy about this but this cruise has been in the works since 2019 so we are going.  Fortunately for Alaska we may be sitting on our balcony a lot!

We sailed on Celebrity in April and they were so quick to clean the tables, pick up towels etc it was amazing.   

I've almost come to the conclusion that Princess isn't hiring more crew on purpose.    A lot less payroll for Princess.   I know I'll be slammed and told I'm out to lunch on this.   

If they "can't" get the crew, they should keep the passenger count proportioned in the same manner.   

We leave in 5 days, and had they come up with this "revised" protocol sooner, I would have cancelled.  I'm not sure how this "new/revised" protocol is going to work for those of us sailing out of San Francisco.   I guess "masks" will be recommended until we reach "Vancouver" and then they have to be put on 🤷‍♀️

Edited by cruzin4us
  • Like 4

In my personal opinion I don't think it's the lack of cleaning on the ships personally I think it's just once again kind of like the lotto for people are catching it. I'm an elementary school teacher and it's been floating around pretty good down here in South Florida. It's all luck of the draw.

My hunch for contraction I don't think it's specifically from getting it on the ship. There are always so many denominators possibilities where people get it such as large group tours. I know a lot of people who have tested positive towards the end of their Cruise they came back so just imagine how many people are on board they're just asymptomatic. It's the new way of life nowadays unfortunately. But for me I plan on living it like as normal as one can and enjoy it.

Next week when I'm onboard I know I'm going to the loving my balcony and the fresh crisp air while sailing North and southbound in Alaska.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 13

Not surprised in the least at the masking order. On our northbound portion of the Grand to Alaska on May 11 masking was perhaps at 60% in all venues on the ship.  On the southbound May 18 trip on the Grand mask wearing was perhaps at 2%.  By the end of the May 18 cruise coughing and sneezing was everywhere.  Venues such as the Explorer lounge were often standing room only, social distancing and surface cleaning (except for the Horizon) did not exist, elevators were often at capacity. There was a delay at disembarkation and everyone had been funnelled into hallways and lounges in close proximity.  

We did have a change of 800 passengers in Whittier May 18, many of them had come from the Denali portion, so perhaps Covid had been incubating with that group?

• Like 3

@Cruizin4us You aren’t doing a Vancouver to Whittier North or a southbound cruise so you aren't affected at this time. Our recent Vancouver Alaska cruise had just under 50% passenger capacity so full crew really shouldn’t be required. I’m sure they are having trouble getting crew just like other companies are having trouble getting employees. There was no obvious shortage of crew on our recent cruise to Alaska.

IMHO the best thing passengers can do to avoid Covid and all the inconveniences that come with it is to wear masks whenever possible in public areas onboard. Mask wearing was 60-70% in public areas onboard (until seated to eat/drink) on our cruise but reports now seem to be far lower than that. We have been wearing masks whenever in busy/crowded areas and most public indoor locations for over two years now and it just isn’t that big of a deal.

Following the Alaska cruise posts here I have been expecting this as all reports are of Covid numbers quickly escalating along with very low percentage of passengers onboard wearing masks. There are more complications quarantining and returning home to USA from Canada and likely less ability to handle passengers with Covid in Alaska.

Edited by AE_Collector
Additional info
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

That is the reason we are not booking until we are sure the masks have gone away for good.  Would hate to have a cruise booked thinking the protocols were to our liking only to have them changed before the cruise.  Will just stay with fun land vacations where masks are not required.

In this case I would probably not cruise until COVID has gone away for good, not masks gone away for good. Maybe that’s what you meant. Masks going away seems to be more a who’s calling the shots/political/what’s best for me thing than a reliable indicator of the threat being gone. JMHO though….

Edited by AE_Collector
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Which ships?

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

Ditto....plus my fear of testing positive right before and not even being able to get on the ship. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Which ships?

Any of the ships that are traveling from Whittier to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whittier. The ones I could think off the top of my head that would include the majestic, and the royal.

4 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Any of the ships that are traveling from Whittier to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whittier. The ones I could think off the top of my head that would include the majestic, and the royal.

Gotcha!

Just now, marden1970 said:

I see in the updates the mask requirement for Whittier to Vancouver and reverse but don't see anything for the 10 day round trips from San Francisco.  I don't understand the reasoning.  Thoughts?

Or the Glacier Bay inside passage?

There are three Princess ships doing Vancouver North/South cruises. Royal, Majestic & Grand.

Northbound these ships unload at Whittier which may have very limited ability to deal with the numbers of passengers with Covid. And southbound ships unload in Vancouver where Covid protocols are a bit more stringent than in the US adding a bit more complication.

Edited by AE_Collector
  • Like 3

Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, AE_Collector said:

There are three Princess ships doing Vancouver North/south cruises. Royal, Majestic & Grand.

Northbound these ships unload at Whittier which may have very limited ability to deal with the numbers of passengers with Covid. And southbound ships unload in Vancouver where Covid protocols are a bit more stringent than in the US adding a bit more complication.

Ok, that makes sense - Thanks

• Thanks 1