ArriveCan

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Download the app, fill in basic person info as early as convenient.

As I posted, I got up to the point where I took a photo of and submitted the vaccination cards for both DW and myself. So....proceed further to start doing the form? 

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

As to "doing our research", consider that there still ARE folks that don't use the internet or computers very much. I don't see how many of them manage in this day and age unless kept in close contact with a TA. Frankly I'm tired of having to do research on what is required for some of these trips. Travel used to be simple and uncomplicated. 

THis is just another example of how the world has become much more complicated by computers - he very devices that we created to make life easier.  Remember back in the "good old days" when we used to actually talk to someone on the phone to book a cruise, or a Disney vacation, or some other vacation?   That US-based representative would tell us everything we needed to know, and we could call back and get more or clarified information when needed.  Now, it's all DIY and dig for info on a website and if you need to call, you wait for an hour to speak to someone overseas who is difficult to communicate with and often reads the wrong info form the wrong script. 

I guess for people who can't or don't want to do that, there are still some TA's providing that stateside personalized service.  For me, I sort of enjoy the digging for info, both on the RCCL website and forums like CC.  Still, it sure would be nice if RCCL was more clear and less contradictory about the information needed for these complex transactions.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jinpasco said:

Sorry if I have missed the answer somewhere.....when do we do it when you board in Whittier Alaska  ( land first) but DISEMBARK in Vancouver? 72 hrs from embarking at the start of cruise or 72 hrs before Vancouver. We have done the preliminary work on the app. 😵😵 Oh how I miss the " good ol days"

Do it 72 hours prior to embarkation.  You are given the opportunity to list your embarkation date within the three day window but given over a week after your latest embarkation to list your actual arrival in Canada by ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Remember back in the "good old days" when we used to actually talk to someone on the phone to book a cruise, or a Disney vacation, or some other vacation? 

Great post and agree with everything you said. OR..when you called an office and didn't have to listen to a 10-minute menu and then just maybe will have chosen the right one. The best are these automated assistants on website chat forums. It's not always easy to actually get through to and chat with a real person.  Oh my...in some ways I'm glad I'm old. Often feel TOO old for some of this crap. 😆 Car trips are nice....

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

As I posted, I got up to the point where I took a photo of and submitted the vaccination cards for both DW and myself. So....proceed further to start doing the form? 

No, wait until 72 hours before embarkation.  If flying into Vancouver you'll need two entries.  One for entering Canada and one for embarkation listing your return to Canada.

4 minutes ago, rudeney said:

THis is just another example of how the world has become much more complicated by computers - he very devices that we created to make life easier.  Remember back in the "good old days" when we used to actually talk to someone on the phone to book a cruise, or a Disney vacation, or some other vacation?   That US-based representative would tell us everything we needed to know, and we could call back and get more or clarified information when needed.  Now, it's all DIY and dig for info on a website and if you need to call, you wait for an hour to speak to someone overseas who is difficult to communicate with and often reads the wrong info form the wrong script. 

I guess for people who can't or don't want to do that, there are still some TA's providing that stateside personalized service.  For me, I sort of enjoy the digging for info, both on the RCCL website and forums like CC.  Still, it sure would be nice if RCCL was more clear and less contradictory about the information needed for these complex transactions.  

IMHO, I think the ArriveCAN app is one of the easiest to use.  Takes only a few minutes and it’s done.  I dread thinking what things would be like in the “old days” if we had Covid and customs agents had to review everyone’s documentation on the spot.  It’s a little inconvenient but saves time. 

Well, it was going ok. I started to complete the form and then saw that I couldn't select a September embarkation date, so that defines not being able to proceed any further. NOW, however, after selecting mode of travel being marine, I decided to explore that option and wound up on the Canada Border Services Agency site and can't get back out of it!!  How do I get back to the form? Oh well.....I give up. 

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If flying into Vancouver

All I'm doing is cruising out of New York and visiting a few days in Canadian ports. OK...got back to arriveCAN. I'll save and close...and forget about it for a few weeks!!! 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

Just now, OnTheJourney said:

All I'm doing is cruising out New York and visiting a few days in Canadian ports. 

Ok so that will be similar to my Alaska cruise out of Seattle.  I completed the ArriveCan app early this morning 3 days before embarkation.  I had done what you did today (vax card and passport info) and that was complete the other parts earlier this month.  Today I did my individual trip entry for our lone Victoria stop on day 6 of the cruise.

You only need one entry no matter how many ports of call in Canada you have.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

ArriveCAN app is one of the easiest to use

It does seem very user friendly. Sounds like I've done as much as I can for now since I can't select a September sailing. I was just curious to see how much more of the form I can do for now. Thanks to all for the enlightenment. My fault for not looking into any of this before, somehow didn't expect to encounter anything relative to entering Canada but I suppose I should have. Next spring a cruise to Bermuda - hopefully some of those requirements will go bye-bye between now and April. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

IMHO, I think the ArriveCAN app is one of the easiest to use.  Takes only a few minutes and it’s done.  I dread thinking what things would be like in the “old days” if we had Covid and customs agents had to review everyone’s documentation on the spot.  It’s a little inconvenient but saves time. 

I wasn't specifically talking about ArriveCAN - just everything having being pushed away from people to computer apps and websites.  I have worked in software since the late 70's and now manage the creation of a new software product for my company, so I am a bit critical.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

It does seem very user friendly. Sounds like I've done as much as I can for now since I can't select a September sailing. I was just curious to see how much more of the form I can do for now. Thanks to all for the enlightenment. My fault for not looking into any of this before, somehow didn't expect to encounter anything relative to entering Canada but I suppose I should have. Next spring a cruise to Bermuda - hopefully some of those requirements will go bye-bye between now and April. 

You can put in a dummy date within 72 hours and proceed, just don't Submit the trip. Select Save & Exit, when you reenter the app/web page you will have a trip ticket waiting. It can be easily deleted (the trash can) or you can go back into it and enter new dates, etc.

Once traveller and vaccination info is entered it is retained for easy re-use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

Once traveller and vaccination info is entered it is retained for easy re-use.

Thanks. I'll just keep it as is for now. 

4 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

s there something to print out? An email confirmation? Or just show the app when boarding?

For guests on cruises traveling to Canada:

• ArriveCAN: All guests – including Canadians - or their legal guardians, must submit the mandatory travel information required by the Canadian government prior to boarding the cruise ship. Guests can complete the form on the ArriveCAN website or via the app available in the AppStore or on Google Play. Once complete you’ll need to print or show the QR code provided at boarding. Learn more about Canada arrival requirements.

48 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I have worked in software since the late 70's and now manage the creation of a new software product for my company, so I am a bit critical.

You surely have a unique perspective on it. I agree with your thoughts. Tough for older non-computer/tablet/phone savvy people who want to travel, or even just managing many other issues. And when the internet goes down, so much comes to a grinding halt. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

5 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks. I'll just keep it as is for now. 

For guests on cruises traveling to Canada:

• ArriveCAN: All guests – including Canadians - or their legal guardians, must submit the mandatory travel information required by the Canadian government prior to boarding the cruise ship. Guests can complete the form on the ArriveCAN website or via the app available in the AppStore or on Google Play. Once complete you’ll need to print or show the QR code provided at boarding. Learn more about Canada arrival requirements.

How do you get the QR code? Does it pop up on the app? Or emailed?

1 hour ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

So once all the info is entered 72 hours before embarking, what happens next? Is there something to print out? An email confirmation? Or just show the app when boarding?

You get a QR code in the app to show at embarkation and also an email with the same QR code.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

So once all the info is entered 72 hours before embarking, what happens next? Is there something to print out? An email confirmation? Or just show the app when boarding?

An email can be sent with a QR code that can be printed. I believe in traveling with paper backups. 🙂

You may have to show the QR for boarding. Since the submission is tied to your passport, it is unlikely that it will have to be present to border officials.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You get a QR code in the app to show at embarkation and also an email with the same QR code.  

I realize that, but my query is that I will be on the ship to Bermuda, then Canada a second leg of B2B. They are considered two separate bookings. So I will have to do all this on the ship without a wifi plan?

1 minute ago, joyandjerry said:

I realize that, but my query is that I will be on the ship to Bermuda, then Canada a second leg of B2B. They are considered two separate bookings. So I will have to do all this on the ship without a wifi plan?

I was replying to @KATHYMAC68. She was asking what to expect after completing her ArriveCan entry. I'm not sure why you quoted me.  But to solve your problem you could do your arrivecan early in the morning at turn around day.  You should not need wifi since you will have cellular service while in port.

27 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I was replying to @KATHYMAC68. She was asking what to expect after completing her ArriveCan entry. I'm not sure why you quoted me.  But to solve your problem you could do your arrivecan early in the morning at turn around day.  You should not need wifi since you will have cellular service while in port.

Sorry for the confusion, so thank you for being so considerate and helpful. Actually my smart phone is a Tracfone with limited wifi, so maybe I can use my tablet or ask at Guest Services. Thanks for your efforts in helping your fellow cruisers!

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

You are given the opportunity to list your embarkation date within the three day window

So....once I do this before the cruise, then get on the ship, I'm still not done? Must more be done prior to arrival at the first Canadian port?  I ask this because there is some confusing wording on the ArriveCAN site about doing a 2nd form. Lots of different rules though conditional on how one arrives, whether staying in CAN, etc. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

26 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

Sorry for the confusion, so thank you for being so considerate and helpful. Actually my smart phone is a Tracfone with limited wifi, so maybe I can use my tablet or ask at Guest Services. Thanks for your efforts in helping your fellow cruisers!

No worries, I was just confused.  I thought I just missed something.

You can buy wifi by the day also  Maybe buy one day for your tablet just to catch up and do your ArriveCan.  I hope it works out and you have a great trip.  Next cruise I book, probably for fall 2024 is the Canada/New England cruise.  

Edited by Tree_skier