Cruilse lines Call for CDC to change covid testing policy

4 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Did you worry about everyone BEFORE this? Did you wear a mask? Stay home? Run to the doctor if you felt sick? Get tested? 

The media has put upon us that we need to worry about EVERYONE now and not live our lives normally. Turn off the media, stop listening to rumors and move on. NO ONE knows everyone's medical history and how they will fare from ANY illness or virus. We can't worry about everything as that is why we are a society of anxious, depressed people. 

With strong immunities I had built up over 5 decades, including vaccinations, I had no need to wear a mask, didn't need to go to the doctor or get tested pre-COVID.  I had no immunity to COVID that I knew of in 2020, so I am embarking on building those immunities now.  I did have severe pneumonia in Feb-April 2020 after getting off the Monarch out of New Orleans, over Chinese New Year's, so I may have had COVID, but unknowingly in Feb 2020.

I will not stop getting information about my world, and I do a lot of research if I think something is a rumor, and I don't want to know anyone's medical history, and I do not worry about everything.  I just do what I think is the responsible thing to do where public health is concerned.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

it might not have a negative impact but why bother when you never worried about others before this? The media have made people brainwashed that they need to go crazy with things that are just not needed. If you want to wear a mask and test for yourself, then by all means do. Don't use the excuse that you are doing it for others and think you are better for doing that (not saying just YOU, but in general).

Well, since you don't know me, I won't go into the online charities, or food banks, or taking care helping 3 elder family members with the oldest being 98.5, or taking clothing and food down to the mail room in my over-55 apartment building because we are paying huge increases on gas and groceries in No CA details..............................

Your opinion is respected.  I DO test and mask to protect other people.  

Edited by pcur

29 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I live in Ontario which was one of the most locked down places in the world for the past 2 years and we are now fully open with no more mask mandates and no more vaccinations needed to leave the country by plane.

It's my understanding that you still cannot take the train or fly domestically unless vaccinated. Is that still correct or have I missed some late breaking news?

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

Well, since you don't know me, I won't go into the online charities, or food banks, or taking care helping 3 elder family members with the oldest being 98.5, or taking clothing and food down to the mail room in my over-55 apartment building because we are paying huge increases on gas and groceries in No CA details..............................

Your opinion is respected.  I DO test and mask to protect other people.  

And that's perfectly fine. Please keep on testing and masking, whatever works for you. It's as someone else mentioned 'personal responsibility'. But please don't be the the one that fights tooth and nail for all others to comply with your personal preference. It's really time to move on from the Covid mandate period.

• Like 4

Just now, exm said:

And that's perfectly fine. Please keep on testing and masking, whatever works for you. It's as someone else mentioned 'personal responsibility'. But please don't be the the one that fights tooth and nail for all others to comply with your personal preference. It's really time to move on from the Covid mandate period.

I'm not fighting tooth and nail.  I have repeatedly posted "everyone needs to make their own decision", or words to that effect.  I don't expect others to comply if they don't want to do so.

I'm I'm asked a question, I will answer it.  If I think I need to clarify, I clarify. 

1 minute ago, Can I Cruise said:

Someone on CC mentioned that a major hospital in Michigan (which I worked at decades ago) has an online weekly update of how many covid patients they've admitted. It's U of Michigan, by the numbers, if anyone wants to google their findings, which has more information than the most recent dashboard here:

covidhospitalizationsinfographic_june9_0

Unfortunately this is doesn't necessarily show how many people are being treated for covid vs. how many are being treated for something else and incidentally test positive for covid.

• Like 1

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Unfortunately this is doesn't necessarily show how many people are being treated for covid vs. how many are being treated for something else and incidentally test positive for covid.

That is correct. If you look at the dashboard, there's a triangle for people who have comorbidities. 

On 6/12/2022 at 8:35 PM, volk904 said:

The cruise lines are foolish if they want the pre cruise testing scrapped.

even with the testing there is people who test positive during every cruise and who know how many who choose not to get tested on board.  If they do away with the test more positive people will board and that turns into more positive tests on board which is bad for everyone.   

For the life of me, I don't understand the logic and I'm in healthcare. Someone tests themselves a few days before going on a cruise. Then, they go to a busy airport, fly for 3-5 hours, stay at a hotel and eat out at restaurants for (sometimes) up to 2 days before the actual cruise- all activities which exposes them to airborne particles, some of which could be the coronavirus. Then, they get on a cruise ship and are suprised that they're positive 3-4 days in. Thank goodness the symtoms are not as severe (for most) than when this whole thing started. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, pcur said:

I'm not fighting tooth and nail.  I have repeatedly posted "everyone needs to make their own decision", or words to that effect.  I don't expect others to comply if they don't want to do so.

I'm I'm asked a question, I will answer it.  If I think I need to clarify, I clarify. 

Just curious as to how you make sure aerosolized virus particles never escape a mask you are wearing? Do your masks NEVER have gaps? When you cruise do you mask in the main dining room and have them bring you an IV drip for your nourishment? If you are cruising and dining indoors you are not protecting others by you carelessly removing your mask according to your own logic

Your mask is a virtue signal because you believe that healthy people are vectors of disease and the asymptomatic spread of illnesses has been vastly overblown and overstated 

Edited by UNCFanatik
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, pcur said:

I consider having to stay in bed for 3-5 days because of headaches, body aches, fever, nausea to be very sick.  This is the reaction my friend and her immediate female relatives get.

I'm not trying to protect myself by taking these measures.  I've tested negative 16 times since mid-January, mostly from all the required tests for travel.  I've been exposed to countless thousands of people over that time period:  58 days on cruise ships, airports and airplanes, family visits.  

I'm trying to avoid exposing OTHER PEOPLE to the virus that may not have as strong an immune system as me.  Taking 16 minutes out of my life to take a free test, and wearing a mask in crowded situations has no negative impact on me.

You mean like I've felt the two times I've had the flu?  If that's the case, they should check everyone for multiple illnesses.  OTHER PEOPLE, as you call them if they are at risk, are at risk with many other illnesses too.  

I do love all the holier than thou "I'm protecting other people" when the reality is, people at risk have always had to protect themselves because there are so many things that can be an issue for them.  We are at that point now.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Can I Cruise said:

That is correct. If you look at the dashboard, there's a triangle for people who have comorbidities. 

And as I read it, the triangle covers only two of the many possible comorbidities (so every patient may have some comorbidity), and it could also mean that the patient has no comorbidity whatsoever, but is simply over age 65.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Can I Cruise said:

For the life of me, I don't understand the logic and I'm in healthcare. Someone tests themselves a few days before going on a cruise. Then, they go to a busy airport, fly for 3-5 hours, stay at a hotel and eat out at restaurants for (sometimes) up to 2 days before the actual cruise- all activities which exposes them to airborne particles, some of which could be the coronavirus. Then, they get on a cruise ship and are suprised that they're positive 3-4 days in. Thank goodness the symtoms are not as severe (for most) than when this whole thing started. 

It's because people who want to do all those activities, DON'T want to take the additional precautions of social distancing and masking.  They only take the tests because they are REQUIRED to in order to travel.  

I apologize for repeating myself, but I was on a cruise ship for 58 days.  Add on the travel before and after, and all the activities you mention above, plus 16 tests all along the way.  Difference?  I social distanced where I could and wore a mask.  What's important to me is I not only was not infected, but I didn't infect anyone else (hopefully).

• Like 1

Just now, pcur said:

It's because people who want to do all those activities, DON'T want to take the additional precautions of social distancing and masking.  They only take the tests because they are REQUIRED to in order to travel.  

I apologize for repeating myself, but I was on a cruise ship for 58 days.  Add on the travel before and after, and all the activities you mention above, plus 16 tests all along the way.  Difference?  I social distanced where I could and wore a mask.  What's important to me is I not only was not infected, but I didn't infect anyone else (hopefully).

Did you dine indoors with others unmasked while on the sailings?  

On 6/12/2022 at 9:58 PM, flhokie said:

Agreed! We're supposed to sail with my elderly mother next month. My father recently passed and we are supposed to go to relax before she has knee replacement surgery. Sadly, if they scrap the testing requirement, I don't think she (or the rest of us) will be comfortable sailing. 

we got covid on the cruise 10 days ago... I am so glad my parents didn't come with us this time. It was pretty tough on me after 2 shots and a booster, and I don't want them to go through covid again. Mom still hasn't gotten her sense of smell back 2 years later. Dad's oxygen was 88...

• Like 1