Galapagos advice

JerseyGem

DH & I are trying to decipher  all the assorted offerings for cruising the Galapagos with Celebrity in 2023.  Northern Loop, Southern Loop, Inner Loop, Outer Loop????   Adding Quito?   And then, which ship?  I am leaning towards their smaller ships (the Xpedition or Xploration), which means choosing between Northern and Southern Loops.  I am also leaning towards their packages which I think includes a hotel in Quito (maybe before and after the actual cruise?) plus would include transfers (I think).  

Part of my problem is negotiating their website (I'll get used to it), but I could really use some advice from those who have used Celebrity for Galapagos cruises.  I did a search and read some reviews (all so positive), but so far I can't find anything that indicates the "Plus and Minus"  for each Loop or ship.

We will want to snorkel whenever possible (so I want warm water!) and hike to see the unique wildlife.   We don't need evening entertainment or fancy accommodations.  

Thank you, Lynn

We did the Galapagos twice…once when they first started sailing there and once later. We were on the Expedition. I am not sure how they do it now, but we flew into Quito for a few days, stayed at the JW Marriott and totally enjoyed ourselves. We were then flown out to the Galapagos. As I said there was only one ship both times. If we were to go back..which we won’t..I would go on  the Flora. It looks like such a beautiful ship it would be my first choice. I don’t even remember which loops we took, but it is a lovely trip and something everyone should do it once. 

• Like 1

We were on Xpedition late Nov 2021. The package includes 2 nights in Quito, a full-day tour with meals in Quito, the flight to Baltra (Galapagos) and then 1 night in Quito afterward and transportation to the airport. I would highly recommend taking the package because it's impossible to fly directly from the US or Canada to Baltra, so you'd have to spend a night in either Quito or Guayaquil anyway. Letting X handle the details of flying you to Baltra makes life a lot easier. They take care of everything from the moment you clear customs in Quito until the moment they drop you off at the Quito airport for your flight home. The team on the ground in Quito was amazing and helped with any need our group had.

We booked Xpedition because the price difference was pretty huge at the time. I think now the difference isn't as much, but I'd still take Xpedition over the Flora. Xpedition was built to carry 98 passengers but only can take 48 now due to the rules set when Ecuador let them bring in the Flora. The ship feels roomy as a result and because it's a smaller group you get to know everyone. By the end of the trip it felt like we were a family. 

As far as the two itineraries, I don't thik you can go wrong. We did the northern loop because we were more interested in marine animals than birds, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the southern loop. Neither loop will feature warm water, unfortunately. The Humboldt current from the Southern Ocean keeps the water pretty cold. It fluctuates a little by time of year, but it'll feel cold. The ship provides you with a shortie wetsuit and has a few long ones if you're really cold. Once you get in the water and see all of the fish and marine life, you'll forget how cold you are. When you get back on board, a crew member is waiting with a warm towel and a cup of hot chocolate (with the alcohol of your choice if you want).

I'd be happy to answer any other questions. It was the trip of a lifetime for us and we're already saving up for the next trip.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JerseyGem said:

We will want to snorkel whenever possible (so I want warm water!) and hike to see the unique wildlife.   We don't need evening entertainment or fancy accommodations.  

Thank you, Lynn

I have been researching Galapagos for 2024 and also want to take part in all of the snorkeling options. The water seems warmest from Feb-Apr. Here is a website that break downs each month:

https://www.galapagosislands.com/travel/tips/when-to-go.html

• Like 1

DH & I are trying to decipher  all the assorted offerings for cruising the Galapagos with Celebrity in 2023.  Northern Loop, Southern Loop, Inner Loop, Outer Loop????   Adding Quito?   And then, which ship?  I am leaning towards their smaller ships (the Xpedition or Xploration), which means choosing between Northern and Southern Loops.  I am also leaning towards their packages which I think includes a hotel in Quito (maybe before and after the actual cruise?) plus would include transfers (I think).  

Part of my problem is negotiating their website (I'll get used to it), but I could really use some advice from those who have used Celebrity for Galapagos cruises.  I did a search and read some reviews (all so positive), but so far I can't find anything that indicates the "Plus and Minus"  for each Loop or ship.

Thank you, Lynn

Lynn,

We did the Northern Loop on Xpediton.   I picked that ship for two reasons:

It was cheaper than Flora and I thought Exploration (16 passengers) was too small.

As far as which loop is best, I can't say, but I believe we saw what there is to see in the Galapagos.  We saw giant tortoises twice and bird island was amazing (you see thousands of birds of all the species that are advertised).

I highly recommend doing the Quito land portion.  The city is interesting and Celebrity handles all the arrangements for COVID19 testing on arrival, prior to flying to the islands and prior to departing for home.

I don't recommend doing Quito on your own.  Our tour group that took us around the city had a watcher that kept us together, but was there largely to protect us from pickpockets.   We were warned a lot about not going into some areas of the city and even in the touristy areas watching for pickpockets.   The JR Marriott hotel in Quito where we stayed was great.

• Like 1

By the way, we had about seven opportunities to snorkel on our cruise.  I am 74 and fit for my age, but the first day we did the long walks (both of them) in addition to my doing the snorkeling.   I was tired after all that activity.  I did snorkel once more and enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Thank you, Lynn

We have an Xpedition sailing booked for next year.  Besides the itinerary, one of the reasons that  Xpedition was attractive to us is that despite being capable of comfortably carrying 99 passengers, their license with Ecuador limits it to 48 passengers.

• Like 2

We're on Xpedition in October, booked the 10-day package, and I am about to make flight reservations. We always fly in at least one day early and assume that this is no different, especially given how few flights there are to Quito. Friends we are sailing with were pushing back on arriving a day early, but I think it's important.

Is there a private tour we can do that first day which won't duplicate what Celebrity will take us to?

Edited by MisterBill99

35 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

We're on Xpedition in October, booked the 10-day package, and I am about to make flight reservations. We always fly in at least one day early and assume that this is no different, especially given how few flights there are to Quito. Friends we are sailing with were pushing back on arriving a day early, but I think it's important.

Is there a private tour we can do that first day which won't duplicate what Celebrity will take us to?

I am under the impression that most people fly in on the same day of the 1st hotel night of the package.  Perhaps I am wrong.  Are you planning on flying in advance of that such that you will be paying on your own for an extra hotel night?

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I am under the impression that most people fly in on the same day of the 1st hotel night of the package.  Perhaps I am wrong.  Are you planning on flying in advance of that such that you will be paying on your own for an extra hotel night?

Yes, I'd pay for the extra hotel night. It's not that expensive. And the flight doesn't arrive until almost midnight.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

We flew in the first day but were able to get a flight that came in around 9pm. The people who came in on the later flights were exhausted the next day, so if you have the time and money, I think it's smart to come in a day early. Celebrity doesn't offer any tours other than the one included in the package. If you look in Cruise Critic for the Xpedition --- Anyone recently back? thread, there are some recommendations about a private tour. If you just want to chill that first day and acclimatize to the altitude, the area around the JW Marriott is safe to walk around. There's a craft market about a mile away and the taxi is $2 to get there if you don't want to walk. 

• Like 1

We did the option with Quito hotel at the beginning of the trip (but not the end of the trip, IIRC). We also flew in a day early due to long flight times from our location and added a night at the JW Marriott. IIRC X still handled our transfer from the airport to the JW. I'm not one for land tours, but in this case it seemed much easier booking via X than getting ourselves to Baltra to meet up with the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccqueenanne said:

We did the option with Quito hotel at the beginning of the trip (but not the end of the trip, IIRC). We also flew in a day early due to long flight times from our location and added a night at the JW Marriott. IIRC X still handled our transfer from the airport to the JW. I'm not one for land tours, but in this case it seemed much easier booking via X than getting ourselves to Baltra to meet up with the ship.

Not sure when you went, but the current Celebrity package has hotel stays on both ends.

Do the package deal.  Nothing wrong with the Expedition.  To me, going to the Galapagos, is more about what you see.  The ship is your place to sleep and eat.  You will be so busy with 2 daily activities, eating, and then time for bed.

There is a month-by-month article that tells you what you will see for each month.  You can find it on the internet.  We went late Feb. and snorkeling was perfect then.  

• Like 1

If you book the current Celebrity offer of 20% off the cruise they will also give you a $750 flight credit or another $500 off of the cruise price, so it essentially pays for itself since it includes the transfers and the flight to Baltra from Quito. Go with the extra free day in Quito if you can, and the included Quito Day Tour takes you to the must see's of the Historic City Center and the Equator monument area. 

I recently became a Certified Celebrity Travel Advisor after spending many years working with the independent Ecuadorian cruise lines (I love them too). I have lived in Quito for 13 years and am happy to answer any questions. 

Check out my Ecuador & Galapagos FAQ page, you might find it useful.

https://ecuadorunlimited.com/ecuador-travel-tips/

Happy travels!

-Aaron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the loop you choose will make a huge difference. All of the islands have their own unique charm and wildlife. I think that the water temperature will likely be warmer in more of the northern ports, so if plan to snorkel, that could make a difference. The water temperature down there is freezing by the way in many spots, even in a wetsuit. Also, you can check on if the southern loop crosses the equator and if that matters to you. 

The only way to get to the galapagos is to fly into quito or guayquil. If you don't intend to sightsee in ecuador, more than likely your flight will land the evening before and then you will fly into galapagos the next day. I know that Celebrity does a chartered flight for that part, I don't know if you'll take the chartered flight if you don't book the package? (we did the galapgos, but not with celebrity)

We spent a day in quito on each side, mostly because of the covid restrictions at that time. It's certainly worth spending a day in. For ease of arrangements, I would book the 10 day package. There are other fees and steps required to fly into the galapagos on your own.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

If you want information on the Galapagos with Celebrity Xpedition there is a long running blog called "Anyone Recently Back". The blog has been going on for at least 10 years and has an answer for just about question you could think of and if not you can quickly get an answer from people who have taken the cruise, sometimes multple times. It is generally the first entry on Celebrity Xpedition Roll calls. When we went (twice) we got excellent advice on everything from what to pack to the differences between the itineraries and seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the excellent advice.  We'll check out the blogs and website links.  I think we've narrowed it down to the Xpedition with Celebrity's  10 day package, probably the Southern Loop.  We're still debating which month because we read so many different opinions, and the prices are so varied throughout the year.  We had settled on August 2023, only to discover that it was outside of X's package!  Back to the drawing board.  

Thanks again, Lynn

2 hours ago, JerseyGem said:

Thanks for all the excellent advice.  We'll check out the blogs and website links.  I think we've narrowed it down to the Xpedition with Celebrity's  10 day package, probably the Southern Loop.  We're still debating which month because we read so many different opinions, and the prices are so varied throughout the year.  We had settled on August 2023, only to discover that it was outside of X's package!  Back to the drawing board.  

Thanks again, Lynn

you should consider not only the season but the current outlook in the Pacific Ocean since whether it is an El Nino or La Nina year will determine how much rain the islands get Sometimes  small amounts of rain will cause large number of the animals to die off making it a less desirable visit. 

Thanks again, Lynn

Lynn:

Would you mind explaining what you mean in saying that the August 2023 sailing was "outside of X's package?"  When onboard the Apex last month, we booked a Galapagos cruise on the Flora, for late September 2023, with the hotel stays on both ends.  We might end up switching to different dates or ships, so I want to know what I need to be on the lookout for in evaluating other sailings.

Tom & Judy

49 minutes ago, TFree said:

Lynn:

Would you mind explaining what you mean in saying that the August 2023 sailing was "outside of X's package?"  ......

Tom & Judy

Hi Tom and Judy- I should have been clearer.  The current package is 20% off the base fair plus either air from the USA or a set amount ($750?) in lieu of the air.  But the air has to be able to be ticketed when you initially  book.   They won't ticket more than one year out, so I can't book for August 2023 now and qualify for the air perk.  I really want X to do all the air for me in case something goes wrong getting there (weather delays, etc.).  We have two more overseas trips booked for this year, and the air arrangements (paid and ticketed) keep changing due to issues within the airlines (supposedly related to staffing issues due to Covid).  Frustrating!   Lynn

48 minutes ago, JerseyGem said:

Hi Tom and Judy- I should have been clearer.  The current package is 20% off the base fair plus either air from the USA or a set amount ($750?) in lieu of the air.  But the air has to be able to be ticketed when you initially  book.   They won't ticket more than one year out, so I can't book for August 2023 now and qualify for the air perk.  I really want X to do all the air for me in case something goes wrong getting there (weather delays, etc.).  We have two more overseas trips booked for this year, and the air arrangements (paid and ticketed) keep changing due to issues within the airlines (supposedly related to staffing issues due to Covid).  Frustrating!   Lynn

That is interesting. Our cruise (September 2023) is obviously outside of one year, so we can’t book airfare now, either. But the way it was explained to us, when that window opens later this year, we just need to book through Celebrity Air, and we will get the benefit of the $750 pp air credit. 

Tom & Judy

I know this question is slightly OT, but we are looking at a cruise (Flora) and our TA is offering some OBC. If the cruise is all-inclusive, what can you use the OBC for?

I'm guessing the OBC is "use it or lose it", but I can't think of anything that isn't included! Ideas?

Carole,

We just returned from Flora two weeks ago.  What I recall is that there is a small retail shop onboard with a limited selection of clothing and other paraphenalia.  There is also a one table massage room available.  The only expense that we incurred was for a short visit to Medical for a minor issue. 

Our TA sent us an Amazon gift card pre-trip and a Shutterfly card post-trip which were a better option than OBC in our opinion.  However your situation works out, you will have an outstanding trip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

I know this question is slightly OT, but we are looking at a cruise (Flora) and our TA is offering some OBC. If the cruise is all-inclusive, what can you use the OBC for?

I'm guessing the OBC is "use it or lose it", but I can't think of anything that isn't included! Ideas?

OBC is pretty useless on the ship, other than for a massage. My TA agreed to pay me in a Celebrity gift card, which she will apply at final payment. A popular huge online agency was offering cash back and my TA matched that when I booked what seems like a lifetime ago.

That said, TA OBC is usually refundable if you don't spend it, but I'd rather not find out with a sizable amount.

• Like 1