Are digital images included in Carnival photo packages?

swatkins56

Hi, I've always cruised Norwegian but have a Carnival cruise scheduled next year.  For at least a decade, NCL has made the digital images available with their photo packages.  Does Carnival offer that?  Thanks.

Carnival's "photo packages" are pretty unspecial IMHO, unless you like big canvas prints thrown in for free, essentially.  You can buy the prints for about $20, or you can buy the digital images for similar pricing.  IIRC, it is about a $4 or $5 extra cost to get the digital version with the associated print (you might need to haggle), and might be free with the "biggest" packages.  

Ah yes, look here for some package pricing:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5221/~/pixels-photo-pre-cruise-packages

Going to take a side track here.  It seems crazy that paper straws are banned for environmental reasons, but likely thousands of unused photo prints are dumped each cruise.   Seems everything should be digital with actual prints available upon request.   

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Going to take a side track here.  It seems crazy that paper straws are banned for environmental reasons, but likely thousands of unused photo prints are dumped each cruise.   Seems everything should be digital with actual prints available upon request.   

Not all ships print all the photos.  My last two cruises were Freedom and Liberty and we did have the giant wall of photos, but I'm almost positive that my 2019 cruise on the Breeze was all digital with photos viewed in the hub app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

that is the trend for the future. all new ship is now fully digital with older ships slowly being retrofitted to a digital system

other cruise lines also has a similar digital photo system too

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

I've only sailed on Vista, Horizon, and Mardi Gras in the past year and none of them have had the old style print outs. You have to order them from the app or from the photo gallery where you can pick them up later. 

• Like 2

The last two cruises post-shutdown, and I think the last two pre-pandemic, were all "digital review", and if you wanted hardcopies you had to order them for pickup.  So indeed, it seems Carnival has (for the most part) gone away from all that wasted photo paper.

But, also keep in mind that unused/unclaimed photo paper was removed from the ship at the home port as waste and went to a landfill.  The point of straws was a symbolic move towards keeping the oceans a bit cleaner, because they can (and do) go overboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The photo paper is not mixed in with food waste, ground up, and sent into the ocean by mistake as often happened with the plastic straws.

Still I agree the photos are very wasteful.

• Like 2

Just got off the Mardi Gras and the photo package we purchased before the cruise was only prints. They did offer the photos in digital at an additional cost. Read the Pixels Photo package offerings to see if digital is an option. (was not for me at the package deal price)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

Paper straws aren't banned. Plastic ones are. And as much as I don't understand the waste either, the photos are paper and can easily be recycled.

14 hours ago, Jelly_Toast said:

Not all ships print all the photos.  My last two cruises were Freedom and Liberty and we did have the giant wall of photos, but I'm almost positive that my 2019 cruise on the Breeze was all digital with photos viewed in the hub app.

Happy to see from your and posts of several others that this is happening.  On our recent cruise (first since pandemic) they still had the photo walls.   Sounds like they will be a thing of the past.   

8 hours ago, Pyxie said:

Paper straws aren't banned. Plastic ones are. And as much as I don't understand the waste either, the photos are paper and can easily be recycled.

Thanks.   I kind of blew that one.  In my defense, they both start with "P" and have two syllables!   For some reason I thought glossy photos were not good candidates for recycling.  But, as evidenced by my straw foul-up, I'm likely wrong about that too!  😃

We are recently off the Panorama. All the pre-cruise photo packages seemed to offer physical items. I only wanted digital. Once on the cruise a couple of digital photo packages showed up on my app for x photos for x price. So I bought one of those. We love to have a lot of pictures taken and it’s fun to review them each day. With the package I was able to download directly to my phone. Never had to go to the pixels store.

54 minutes ago, mslhb said:

We are recently off the Panorama. All the pre-cruise photo packages seemed to offer physical items. I only wanted digital. Once on the cruise a couple of digital photo packages showed up on my app for x photos for x price. So I bought one of those. We love to have a lot of pictures taken and it’s fun to review them each day. With the package I was able to download directly to my phone. Never had to go to the pixels store.

Do you remember the pricing of the digital photo packages? We are going on the Panorama in August and would love to know what some of the options were. Also, does anyone know if pre-purchasing a photo package saves you money? It has been years since we bough pictures on board, but we are cruising with the whole family this time, so I'm sure we will be purchasing pictures this time.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 7:30 PM, ldubs said:

Totally agree. I have always said that them printing pictures that are never purchased is a huge waste of money on their part. Paper straws are a waste as well.  The sugar straws are horrible.  Not good for diabetics either. I understand them banning plastic.  I bring my reusable straws with me.

Edited by cruisinsly

We were offered digital copies on a flash drive (shaped like a Carnival ship, of course) for all of the prints that we had paid for and we didn't have a package. It comes with a general release that allows you to print extra copies. I can't remember the price but want to say it was under $20. Wish I had known that before we ordered multiple copies of the same picture (we cruised with step-granddaughter and wanted formal pictures for her parents and grandparents). We could have just purchased one copy of each and then printed other copies out at Walgreens or where ever. 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We were offered digital copies on a flash drive (shaped like a Carnival ship, of course) for all of the prints that we had paid for and we didn't have a package. It comes with a general release that allows you to print extra copies. I can't remember the price but want to say it was under $20. Wish I had known that before we ordered multiple copies of the same picture (we cruised with step-granddaughter and wanted formal pictures for her parents and grandparents). We could have just purchased one copy of each and then printed other copies out at Walgreens or where ever. 

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

We just bought photos on the Spirit and they still have the traditional photo set up. They have different discounts and inclusions when you buy multiple pics--ask at the desk what discounts or packages they have when you buy more. The "package" I got had 10 8x10s, 2 canvases, and all the images on a flash drive (with release) for around $280. When I bought a few more prints later in the cruise, they added them to the flash drive for $1 each.  

On 6/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, jen3188 said:

Do you remember the pricing of the digital photo packages? We are going on the Panorama in August and would love to know what some of the options were. Also, does anyone know if pre-purchasing a photo package saves you money? It has been years since we bough pictures on board, but we are cruising with the whole family this time, so I'm sure we will be purchasing pictures this time.

Yes pre purchasing photo's saves you money BUT check the digital status. When i purchased the 10 picture photo package 199 i was NOT offered digital at purchase. Now when i go on the ship Mardi Gras digital was available at an additional cost. Pixels was not flexible

Carnival's Pixels staff will take advantage of people. ONe person in my party paid $499 for FIVE 8x10s, 3 digitals, and one Canvas print. They will; absolutely take advantage of you if you don't know the price.

Carnival really should have an all inclusive digital package, where you get to keep all of your digitals. 

On 6/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, jen3188 said:

I want to say the cost per photo was 20% off the normal price and was about $195 for 12. I think there was also a cheaper package of 7… or maybe it was 5 that was 10 or 15% off. To me it was cheaper then pre-buying since I didn’t want any physical prints or albums, just digital. I think the offer showed up in the app starting the 2nd day of the cruise. 

Edited by mslhb

2 hours ago, mslhb said:

I want to say the cost per photo was 20% off the normal price and was about $195 for 12. I think there was also a cheaper package of 7… or maybe it was 5 that was 10 or 15% off. To me it was cheaper then pre-buying since I didn’t want any physical prints or albums, just digital. I think the offer showed up in the app starting the 2nd day of the cruise. 

Thanks so much, I’ll keep an eye out for offers on the hub app.