Concierge Rules

Royal has established thresholds for the numbers of D+ and separately for P as it relates to CL and SL: access.  Once the threshold has been exceeded no D+ and/or P are allowed on that cruise.  The thresholds vary by class of ship.  

In reality there are just too many C&A on a typical cruise.  The result may be a nearly empty CL/SL.

It's the best approach as they try to find a balance between providing suite guests with assured access while trying to allow C&A members when they can do so with blocking out suite guests.  It's a work in progress, they are studying numbers and trying to optimize it for all concerned.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Same with me.  I'm D+ and we were in a JS but not able to access the CL.  

We were also in a junior suite and Diamond plus. We never asked if we could go to the concierge lounge. The diamond lounge did have a nice view and the diamond concierge was very nice. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal has established thresholds for the numbers of D+ and separately for P as it relates to CL and SL: access.  Once the threshold has been exceeded no D+ and/or P are allowed on that cruise.  The thresholds vary by class of ship.  

In reality there are just too many C&A on a typical cruise.  The result may be a nearly empty CL/SL.

It's the best approach as they try to find a balance between providing suite guests with assured access while trying to allow C&A members when they can do so with blocking out suite guests.  It's a work in progress, they are studying numbers and trying to optimize it for all concerned.

On EX in March, first week were just 11 Pinnies, following week...10.   EX still has the old CL on deck nine.  Had access, but not sure if D+ did.   We were in a JS just steps away, making it perfect for my morning Lattes.  😉  

Weird thing was the ship was keeping a Pinnacle Lounge open during the first week.  Naturally no one used it, closed it the second week.  Stopped in a few times just to say hello to the bored host.  Real waste of a table of munchies as well.  

1 minute ago, island lady said:

On EX in March, first week were just 11 Pinnies, following week...10.   EX still has the old CL on deck nine.  Had access, but not sure if D+ did.   We were in a JS just steps away, making it perfect for my morning Lattes.  😉  

Weird thing was the ship was keeping a Pinnacle Lounge open during the first week.  Naturally no one used it, closed it the second week.  Stopped in a few times just to say hello to the bored host.  Real waste of a table of munchies as well.  

On my last two cruises the concierge in the CL was asking all guests to badge in and out if the CL.  He explained they were gathering data st shape the evolution of C&A access to the CL/SL.

It's a work in progress and it is evolving.  The purpose of gathering data was to create a basis for policy rather than using estimations and gut feelings.  

I too have been on ships with low Pinnacle counts and I've seen first hand the waste associated with a PL that is lightly used.  They consume space, crew resources and food.   

This isn't over, they'll continue to adapt.  What guests experienced in the past or on a current sailing may not be the experience on future sailings.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

On my last two cruises the concierge in the CL was asking all guests to badge in and out if the CL.  He explained they were gathering data st shape the evolution of C&A access to the CL/SL.

It's a work in progress and it is evolving.  The purpose of gathering data was to create a basis for policy rather than using estimations and gut feelings.  

I too have been on ships with low Pinnacle counts and I've seen first hand the waste associated with a PL that is lightly used.  They consume space, crew resources and food.   

This isn't over, they'll continue to adapt.  What guests experienced in the past or on a current sailing may not be the experience on future sailings.  

Interesting about the badging.   

Since the vouchers came out, we are not using the lounges for evening cocktails, preferring to just visit the bars around the ship.  Big fan of the VCL bar on Voyager class. 

I do love using the lounges for morning coffee pick up though.   And a place to hang out on sea days when the cabin is being cleaned.  

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We didn't, but we might have been banned from the CL. 🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We didn't, but we might have been banned from the CL. 🤣

Meh...the old CL on EX (as was on each Voyager class) is like a large closet on deck nine.  No windows, more like an executive lounge at a hotel.  

Your choice of the airy, light and welcoming DL was much better, IMHO.  😉 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Meh...the old CL on EX (as was on each Voyager class) is like a large closet on deck nine.  No windows, more like an executive lounge at a hotel.  

C'mon, admit you missed the sardine can forced interaction with other passengers.

Just now, smokeybandit said:

C'mon, admit you missed the sardine can forced interaction with other passengers.

LOL....but I did love it for coffee in the old CL.   Was almost always the only one in there at 7 am.  🙂 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

On EX in Alaska it was basically unused.  I was just down the hall so it was the closest bar even though I had the drink package.  The concierge was so happy to have someone in there he asked why I wasn't using it more.  I explained I was cruising with my adult son who was only gold.  He was so lonely he told me I could bring my son with me.  I didn't ask for that, he offered it.  Since we both had the drink package we spent most of our time elsewhere.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 4:29 PM, vino123 said:

Hi We will be on the Jewel of the seas shortly. The deckplan shows a concierge lounge. As Diamond Plus will be we allowed in or is it still suites and pinnacles only?

We are on now. As others have said, there is access for D+ in CL.  More than half the seating in Viking Crown Lounge is being used for overflow - the doors between the Diamond lounge and VCL are open every night. There is a sign stating VCL is reserved for a Pinnacle event but it is available for those from Diamond lounge as well. We usually aren’t there too early but last night noticed that sea pass cards were being checked.

A buffet is also set up in VCL. 

Edited by kccrzr
  • Thanks 1

We are D+ and accessed the CL on our b2b Explorer in March. Maybe because if our # of points but the CL was so empty. I tried my key on Navigator CL once this month and it  did not work. 

1 hour ago, Sianli said:

We are D+ and accessed the CL on our b2b Explorer in March. Maybe because if our # of points but the CL was so empty. I tried my key on Navigator CL once this month and it  did not work. 

We were on EX in March as well as B2B.  First week there were 11 Pinnacles...the next week 10.  Not a huge draw for higher tier to be sailing out of PR, especially in March/April.  

Number of points for D+ does not matter with access to the CL.  It's the total number of D+ on the ship and particular sailing that makes the difference.  

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We were on EX in March as well as B2B.  First week there were 11 Pinnacles...the next week 10.  Not a huge draw for higher tier to be sailing out of PR, especially in March/April.  

Number of points for D+ does not matter with access to the CL.  It's the total number of D+ on the ship and particular sailing that makes the difference.  

I honestly thought it also had something to do with points.  We were on B2B on the Brilliance and were allowed in the Concierge lounge, but not all diamond +’s were?  Maybe different rules for each ship and sailing?  I never asked.

49 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

I honestly thought it also had something to do with points.  We were on B2B on the Brilliance and were allowed in the Concierge lounge, but not all diamond +’s were?  Maybe different rules for each ship and sailing?  I never asked.

First I have heard of something like that.  

Though, I have to say I really don't pay much attention to which D+ or not is allowed into the CL any longer.   I suppose a D+ would have to tell me about it, but we don't go into the lounges much at all now, except for coffee.

Info on the numbers of each C&A upper tier, usually come from the LA or the CL/SL/DL concierge if I ask.  None have  ever told me they were segregating the D+ level by points, except for the former "meal with an officer" now called "Cheers with an officer.  Very strange indeed.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

We were on Brilliance in May and had access (D+ at 290 pts).  We then went on the Jewel and did NOT have access. The lounge for us was only for coffee anyhow, so we didn't question it, but we were surprised when our cards didn't work on concierge.  We're on Serenade in August (still not 340...320 now😪) and we'll see if we have access...