Solo travelers - Panama Canal with no single supplement

cdngrl

I think its a mistake as when I go to book, the price shown on the first page comes up a few dollars less when I choose one guest.

Its for the Caribbean Princess in November 2022. I was looking at 10 days roundtrip FLL. The first (cruise details) page for Nov 13 shows $724 CAD for an interior. Select room type/ one guest, the price goes to $718. The port charges are exorbitant but at least the cruise isn't costing double!

I'm checking out some more cruises to see if it happens elsewhere. I have a FCD that is begging to be used!

Edit: Caribbean Princess Aug 5, 2022 - 10 days $911 CAD. After saying one guest its $924. I like not paying a supplement! I've got some more researching to do!

Edited by cdngrl
new info
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, cdngrl said:

I think its a mistake as when I go to book, the price shown on the first page comes up a few dollars less when I choose one guest.

Its for the Caribbean Princess in November 2022. I was looking at 10 days roundtrip FLL. The first (cruise details) page for Nov 13 shows $724 CAD for an interior. Select room type/ one guest, the price goes to $718. The port charges are exorbitant but at least the cruise isn't costing double!

I'm checking out some more cruises to see if it happens elsewhere. I have a FCD that is begging to be used!

Edit: Caribbean Princess Aug 5, 2022 - 10 days $911 CAD. After saying one guest its $924. I like not paying a supplement! I've got some more researching to do!

Grab it before it’s gone!  Good luck!

• Like 2

I have enjoyed the reduced single supplements Princess has had. My cruise to Greenland in August had one of 10%. Back in February, there were some with with negative single supplements like you're seeing. The November cruise you mention doesn't come up with a negative single supplement when I look at it but it's still a good rate--$714 for solo versus $649 double occupancy.

At these prices, it would pay for a couple to book two separate rooms: a balcony for $1,649 for one plus an inside for one at $714 comes out cheaper than $1,499 times two. They'll each get double cruise credits and could still sleep in the balcony cabin together. If they're already Elite, they'd both get minibars for their solo cabins.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Great website that I was not aware of.  This might be my new go to search site. Thanks for the link. Plus, unlike another good one posted by @tartana, I don't believe this site will violate any CC rules.

From the cruiseplum site:

"We are not travel agents and do not book cruises, or any other kind of travel. We recommend you book directly with your chosen cruise line or with your favorite travel agent."

sorry....I really wasn't sure but I do like the search features.... I will see if I can delete.  (I can't, so I guess I will get detention...oops. 

Edited by tartana
added
  • Haha 1

Just now, tartana said:

sorry....I really wasn't sure but I do like the search features.... I will see if I can delete. 

I love that site too for the same reason you mentioned.  Unfortunately, CC mods will eventually find your post and delete it.  

• Thanks 1

As a newly solo traveler, I booked two cruises to Mexico departing from San Diego.  For the cost of a 4-day in October (Sapphire Princess) that I cancelled, I was able to book two cruises, one 5-day cruise and a 7-day cruise on the Diamond Princess, both for the same cost of the 4-day cruise.  Not only were the cruises sharply discounted, but no solo supplement either.  Everyone, make sure to check the Princess website!  Because of the very low fares, I doubt that TAs will be discounting those anyway.  Total cost for the two cruises:  $600.  Yes, I added the Princess Plus package to both cruises, which brought the cost up, but still a smoking hot deal.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, toofewcruises said:

As a newly solo traveler, I booked two cruises to Mexico departing from San Diego.  For the cost of a 4-day in October (Sapphire Princess) that I cancelled, I was able to book two cruises, one 5-day cruise and a 7-day cruise on the Diamond Princess, both for the same cost of the 4-day cruise.  Not only were the cruises sharply discounted, but no solo supplement either.  Everyone, make sure to check the Princess website!  Because of the very low fares, I doubt that TAs will be discounting those anyway.  Total cost for the two cruises:  $600.  Yes, I added the Princess Plus package to both cruises, which brought the cost up, but still a smoking hot deal.  

I booked my August cruise through a large internet travel company that was having a 3-day sale last week. The price was the same as I would have gotten booking directly with Princess, but my booking also came with $360 in onboard credit. I get an additional $75 for using a future cruise deposit, and now I'm waiting for my $250 shareholder credit to appear.

Several different agencies quoted prices to me. Some were crazy--much higher than I could get booking directly. A couple of them were the same as on the Princess website. Others saved between 5% and 8% over the cost of booking with Princess, including any associated onboard credit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toofewcruises said:

What dates?

Now I wanna book!

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2022 at 3:02 PM, KKB said:

What dates?

Now I wanna book!

On 6/17/2022 at 8:19 AM, toofewcruises said:

I also booked the two cruises on the Diamond Princess as a fairly newly solo traveler.

After being on previous cruises I found it was fun to arrange dining with the other solos on the ship.

Let me know if you would like to join up for early dining.  On previous cruises it worked out quite well.

Ronni 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Calif Explorer said:

What is the website?  Is it the Princess.com website?

I always start looking at prices on the Princess website. I look at the prices for double occupancy and single occupancy to see how much of a single supplement Princess is charging. On my cruise next month, it was 10%.

Once I find a cruise that I want to book, I start looking at travel agencies that may be able to get me a better price or offer onboard credit. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:47 PM, geoherb said:

I have enjoyed the reduced single supplements Princess has had. My cruise to Greenland in August had one of 10%. Back in February, there were some with with negative single supplements like you're seeing. The November cruise you mention doesn't come up with a negative single supplement when I look at it but it's still a good rate--$714 for solo versus $649 double occupancy.

At these prices, it would pay for a couple to book two separate rooms: a balcony for $1,649 for one plus an inside for one at $714 comes out cheaper than $1,499 times two. They'll each get double cruise credits and could still sleep in the balcony cabin together. If they're already Elite, they'd both get minibars for their solo cabins.

For the b2b cruises that my friend and I are interested in, the total price of booking 2 separate mini-suite cabins came out to be $400 cheaper than if we booked one mini-suite and share the cabin.  The saving mainly from lower price and booking solo gets $100pp OBC, but booking together in the same cabin will only get $50pp OBC, and like you said, each of us (elite) will get our own minibar and each cabin can get its own stockholder OBC. My friend is afraid to be in her cabin by herself at night, so even if each of us books a solo mini-suite, she will just leave her mini-suite vacant and stay with me on my mini-suite.  But I never thought of one of us booking a mini-suite and the other booking an interior, that will save even more money.  THANK YOU for bringing that up. 

I do have a few questions and would like to know the answers before deciding what we want to do.  After we get on the ship and then we go to Passenger Service to tell them to allow my friend entrance to my cabin using her Medallion because she plans to just stay with me and leave her interior cabin vacant, will PS charge her extra money because she is now staying in my mini-suite as 2nd guest and not her booked interior cabin?  I will definitely try to get her interior cabin to be across or next to my cabin.  But if both cabins will not be serviced by the same cabin steward, could my cabin steward refuses to do services for 2 persons when the cabin was booked for 1 person?  And then no work for the cabin steward who will service the vacant interior cabin.

Any input will be much appreciated! 
  • Like 1

We had 2 separate booking when we sailed on the Discovery.  Both insides, on different decks.  We just asked onboard that we each be allowed access to both cabins.  It was done immediately with no questions asked.

we only put our stuff in one cabin, and had no issue with the cabin steward.  We did, out of courtesy, let the other steward know we would not be using the cabin, but checked in when the immigration and disembarkation documents were delivered.

we saved a little, but more importantly for us, got 2 cruise credits each, one step closer to elite!

1 hour ago, Sarnia 432 said:

We had 2 separate booking when we sailed on the Discovery.  Both insides, on different decks.  We just asked onboard that we each be allowed access to both cabins.  It was done immediately with no questions asked.

Agree.

Just ask for each to be able to access both cabins. No need to mention who will be sleeping where.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:47 PM, geoherb said:

I think it was things like this is one reason why they stopped lower single supplements before (at least on other lines).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

we only put our stuff in one cabin, and had no issue with the cabin steward.  We did, out of courtesy, let the other steward know we would not be using the cabin, but checked in when the immigration and disembarkation documents were delivered.

we saved a little, but more importantly for us, got 2 cruise credits each, one step closer to elite!

Since it was booked as solo, then the cabin will be equipped with towels for one person.  Did you have any problems asking your cabin steward to supply daily towels for 2 persons?

These type no single supplement type cruises have been available since the restart on many different itineraries with the "Drop and Go" rate.

Look on the Princess home page icon "Deals" and the "Drop and Go" page will be there. .. Most are within a 3 month departure time frame , and many (not all) have no single supplement

I did the Caribbean Princess out of dry dock for $1068 CAD plus port as a Solo in a outside cabin.
I got 2 credits but only 18 days credits.

I have noticed that August 28th Island Princess cruise to Baltic's is going for a good rate. For me it is Air Fare that stops me dead. The price last time I checked was the same for single as it is for double.
Don't forget to log into Princess to get the reduced rate.