Note re: possible minor problem with Abbot/eMed tests

GottaKnowWhen

We are en route. I had packed our test kits, planning to do the on-line test from our hotel tomorrow (boarding Sunday). Our initial flight was delayed two hours, so I unpacked and we did our tests from home. (Negatives.)

BUT

I scanned the package QR with my phone, went on from there.
However, When we tried to scan my wife’s QR code, no success. The box had been slightly crumpled in the suitcase, the QR was no longer readable. Could be an issue if you don’t happen to have an alternative means of getting started with a test.

Stan

28 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

We are en route. I had packed our test kits, planning to do the on-line test from our hotel tomorrow (boarding Sunday). Our initial flight was delayed two hours, so I unpacked and we did our tests from home. (Negatives.)

BUT

However, When we tried to scan my wife’s QR code, no success. The box had been slightly crumpled in the suitcase, the QR was no longer readable. Could be an issue if you don’t happen to have an alternative means of getting started with a test.

Stan

We have done these tests several times (on laptops, not cell phones) but we have never started by scanning a QR code.  We logged on to Emed.com, clicked on "Start Test" and went from there.  I have every reason to believe that you could do the same from a cell phone.

Tom & Judy

• Like 9

Yes! What the person above said. The Navica app isn’t even needed . Log on to eMed and start the test from there. It shouldn’t be a problem. You did keep the tests in your carry on, right? They aren’t supposed to go in checked luggage 

49 minutes ago, TFree said:

We have done these tests several times (on laptops, not cell phones) but we have never started by scanning a QR code.  We logged on to Emed.com, clicked on "Start Test" and went from there.  I have every reason to believe that you could do the same from a cell phone.

Tom & Judy

We have also done these tests a few times. When we did them, the first thing the telehealth professional does is have us scan the QR code on the box before even opening it to verify that the test is not expired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

BUT

Stan

I know this comment is too late to help you, but once I put my tests in my carry-on and the box got slightly crushed and the tab that keeps it closed broke.  Ever since then, I wrap them in some bubble wrap and no problem.

• Like 3

We're cruising in about 2 weeks and I have packed my eMed tests in my carry on in the original shipping box with the bubble wrap they shipped it in. Once I'm done with the tests, I'll have a nice empty spot in my carry on for all the fun stuff I buy on my cruise!

8 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

I know this comment is too late to help you, but once I put my tests in my carry-on and the box got slightly crushed and the tab that keeps it closed broke.  Ever since then, I wrap them in some bubble wrap and no problem.

While it’s too late for the OP, I am “filing” this idea away for our October cruise!  Thank you!

• Like 1

I have our test kits in our carry on and a few extras in our checked luggage, hoping that nothing gets crushed.   They are very bulky and I had a choice of packing clothes or packing emed test kits for 3 of us in bubble wrap.

Starting tomorrow we will be traveling for a week, hopefully the test kits will survive in our luggage, plan "B" is to find a place in Vancouver to get tested - I was very sorry that my first choice of a testing location is closed for the month of June.  Our cruise leaves on a Sunday, we will try the emed kits on Friday, giving us a day to scramble if necessary.

4 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

BUT

Stan

Shouldn't be a problem.   What they scan during the test is the QR code on the test card itself not the box.  

I found that if you enter the test via the eMed Site they do not ask you to scan the box.   They just ask what type of test and then send you to the Navica logon .

The box scan is only to direct you to the proctored test.   When on the Navica site it kept rejecting my scan and finally found out they didn't want the QR Code on the box they wanted the bar code with the test type on it.  I though it was a problem with my PC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Shouldn't be a problem.   What they scan during the test is the QR code on the test card itself not the box.  

I found that if you enter the test via the eMed Site they do not ask you to scan the box.   They just ask what type of test and then send you to the Navica logon .

The box scan is only to direct you to the proctored test.   When on the Navica site it kept rejecting my scan and finally found out they didn't want the QR Code on the box they wanted the bar code with the test type on it.  I though it was a problem with my PC. 

Same thing happened to us and that’s when we realized that we didn’t even need the Navica app. Have always done everything through eMed and deleted the Navica app.

16 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Same thing happened to us and that’s when we realized that we didn’t even need the Navica app. Have always done everything through eMed and deleted the Navica app.

I feel better knowing I wasn't the only one that couldn't figure out what they were asking for.   I later realized that on the Outside Box the QR code is to download the App not to identify the test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think that maybe is what I ran into. The QR for my test took me to eMed? No problem. I did my test, no problem. But I was still at that site when I tried to scan Meg’s QR. Tilt! Not recognized!

No biggie. Except that when I went directly to eMed on my laptop/desktop, I could not see anything but Buy Buy Buy. Had to do a site search to find the Test Now button. Minor glitches…

On 6/17/2022 at 10:21 PM, Peteymil said:

Same thing happened to me with a slightly crushed box,  Now, I save bubble wrap envelopes from Amazon and those work great, too.  Great way to reuse and repurpose.

Edited by quicklabs

As I understand it, each testee (is that a word) must be logged in to the test site with their own account, therefore after first person tests, log out and  the second one must log in under their own account.

Edited by jhagen

17 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

This thread got me thinking.  Are there any problems using these tests outside the US?   

No as long as you have a good wifi connection.  Used them in Italy just fine though the internet in one hotel was too slow to get a connection.  As I changed hotels that day, I just did the test when I moved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

This thread got me thinking.  Are there any problems using these tests outside the US?   

None.... I've used them in Europe.    They do ask you something like what state you are a resident but if I recall they also ask you where you are.    My test showed times as  GMT

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 7:37 AM, floridatravelersforlife said:

Not at all, we tested at a hotel in London before heading to Southampton to board our cruise. Logged in on eMed's website.

8 hours ago, willow adventure said:

Are you able to set up the eMed account ahead of the actual testing? So the info for all family members will be available and ready to go at testing time. Very much appreciated!

There are two logins. I created my eMed account when I ordered tests through them. 

A Navica account is required for testing. You can set up a single Navica account and add everyone as Managed Profiles. I did this for me, my husband and two children.

This can all be done beforehand. https://www.mynavica.abbott You do not need the app for this.

Then, at test time, I went to http://emed.com and clicked Start Testing. You'll be prompted to login to your Navica account, then asked to select which of the managed profiles is testing. 

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

There are two logins. I created my eMed account when I ordered tests through them. 

A Navica account is required for testing. You can set up a single Navica account and add everyone as Managed Profiles. I did this for me, my husband and two children.

This can all be done beforehand. https://www.mynavica.abbott You do not need the app for this.

Then, at test time, I went to http://emed.com and clicked Start Testing. You'll be prompted to login to your Navica account, then asked to select which of the managed profiles is testing. 

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

14 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Thanks for this.  When I did my first proctored test, I was confused about where to start testing.  I couldn't find it on the Navica site.  Eventually, I got to the emed site.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:20 PM, willow adventure said:

Are you able to set up the eMed account ahead of the actual testing? So the info for all family members will be available and ready to go at testing time. Very much appreciated!

Yes... and would recommend setting up an account for each of you in advance.   Makes it easier on test day