On-board shopping - sneaky change

picsa

I see the on-board shopping offer (https://www.pocruises.com/onboard-activities/shopping) has recently changed for the worse.

Back before April (https://web.archive.org/web/20210416071315/https://www.pocruises.com/onboard-activities/shopping) the offer was - 

"Enjoy a minimum saving equivalent to the VAT on every item compared to its UK high street price or RRP and receive a further discount (up to 10 per cent) if you’re a member of our Peninsular club."

However it is now - 

"Enjoy a saving of up to 15% on every item compared to its average UK high street price and become a member of our Peninsular club to receive a further discount (up to 10%)."

So P&O are making at least 5% extra profit on everything sold, and that is only if you get the 15% saving as it isn't on everything.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, picsa said:

So P&O are making at least 5% extra profit on everything sold,

I am not sure that P&O are directly making any "extra" profit on the on-board shopping as I believe that the shopping is run as a concession.

Incidentally I noticed recently that the shopping has now returned to being run by Harding Brothers - which may explain the slight difference in wording.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, david63 said:

I am not sure that P&O are directly making any "extra" profit on the on-board shopping as I believe that the shopping is run as a concession.

Do you actually know the commercial arrangements and any profit share between the concessionaire and P&O? I am sure that P&O don't let the concessionaire operate on their ships for free.

8 minutes ago, picsa said:

Do you actually know the commercial arrangements and any profit share between the concessionaire and P&O? I am sure that P&O don't let the concessionaire operate on their ships for free.

I have no idea but I would make a guess that there is a fixed "rental" cost with probably another fee based on sales - I would doubt that it would be profit based as it would be too easy for the concessionaire to manipulate it in their favour.

34 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Does it really matter most items onboard in shops are overpriced anyway and no great bargains. The only real saving can be made on booze and cigs.

And based on what was in the shops recently on Britannia I would be hard pushed to actually find anything to buy.

There were certainly not many passengers buying much as evidenced by the lack of folk walking around with carrier bags - which you normally see.

The one good thing that has come from Covid is the disappearance of the "paddy's markets"

2 hours ago, picsa said:

I see the on-board shopping offer (https://www.pocruises.com/onboard-activities/shopping) has recently changed for the worse.

Back before April (https://web.archive.org/web/20210416071315/https://www.pocruises.com/onboard-activities/shopping) the offer was - 

"Enjoy a minimum saving equivalent to the VAT on every item compared to its UK high street price or RRP and receive a further discount (up to 10 per cent) if you’re a member of our Peninsular club."

However it is now - 

"Enjoy a saving of up to 15% on every item compared to its average UK high street price and become a member of our Peninsular club to receive a further discount (up to 10%)."

So P&O are making at least 5% extra profit on everything sold, and that is only if you get the 15% saving as it isn't on everything.

Was looking to do a bit of Christmas shopping in Nov/Dec.  I know the shops are over priced, but we've got a shed load of OBC to use.  Just have to go to the Crows Nest more often 🍺

That said, pre Covid I got a great deal on a Tag watch on board.  The full 20% VAT was taken already taken off.  A couple of days before the end of the cruise we got a flyer in offering a further 10% off several brands, including Tag.  We'd already used up our OBC, so got 10% Peninsula discount as well.  Worked out about 36% in total less than the UK high street price.

Certainly a bit sneaky not taking off the full amount of VAT, I suppose they need to boost their funds following two years of zero income.

Wording has been clarified because people expect 20% discount against headline price.

VAT only makes up 16.7% of headline price in the U.K. hence the clarification.

Yes, Harding Bros have taken over all the duty free shipping on board the Carnival U.K. fleet. This change happened during the pandemic.

The commercial agreements are complex as they include rental, performance but also agreements relating to staff, their roles, lodgings etc.

With regard to products, except for real high end brands, often items for sale are not available in high streets and form part of a suppliers airport/cruise duty free range. Take Molton Brown who product specific sizes and gift sets for the duty free market. Means Harding Bros can offer a price match guarantee without much risk.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, picsa said:

However it is now - 

You lost me with your argument about P&O making a profit, strangely the company I work as increased the prices and now make a profit

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Wording has been clarified because people expect 20% discount against headline price.

VAT only makes up 16.7% of headline price in the U.K. hence the clarification.

Yes, Harding Bros have taken over all the duty free shipping on board the Carnival U.K. fleet. This change happened during the pandemic.

The commercial agreements are complex as they include rental, performance but also agreements relating to staff, their roles, lodgings etc.

With regard to products, except for real high end brands, often items for sale are not available in high streets and form part of a suppliers airport/cruise duty free range. Take Molton Brown who product specific sizes and gift sets for the duty free market. Means Harding Bros can offer a price match guarantee without much risk.

This change goes way beyond clarification.

Old wording "Enjoy a miinimum saving equivalent to the VAT ..."  ie, a minimum saving of 16.6%

New wording "Enjoy a saving of up to 15% ...."  ie, a maximum saving of 15%.

A minimum saving of 16.6% has been replaced by a maximum saving of 15%.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Was looking to do a bit of Christmas shopping in Nov/Dec.  I know the shops are over priced, but we've got a shed load of OBC to use.  Just have to go to the Crows Nest more often 🍺

That said, pre Covid I got a great deal on a Tag watch on board.  The full 20% VAT was taken already taken off.  A couple of days before the end of the cruise we got a flyer in offering a further 10% off several brands, including Tag.  We'd already used up our OBC, so got 10% Peninsula discount as well.  Worked out about 36% in total less than the UK high street price.

Certainly a bit sneaky not taking off the full amount of VAT, I suppose they need to boost their funds following two years of zero income.

How much was the UK import duty paid on that watch though? I’m sure they told you it had to be paid on arrival… NOT. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Denarius said:

This change goes way beyond clarification.

Old wording "Enjoy a miinimum saving equivalent to the VAT ..."  ie, a minimum saving of 16.6%

New wording "Enjoy a saving of up to 15% ...."  ie, a maximum saving of 15%.

A minimum saving of 16.6% has been replaced by a maximum saving of 15%.

It seems fair and transparent to me. All goods are subject to almost weekly rises right now. The onboard shops are neither being sneaky nor misleading,

If you don't like the price, don't buy.

19 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

It seems fair and transparent to me. All goods are subject to almost weekly rises right now. The onboard shops are neither being sneaky nor misleading,

If you don't like the price, don't buy.

I never claimed that it was not, if you care to re read my post. I merely took issue with a previous post which implied that the change in wording was a matter of clarification rather than a change in policy.

Edited by Denarius
Clarification
  • Like 1