QM-2 24thJune For 3Weeks

RJChatsworth

Further to my previous post.  We were in transit today in NY.  Everyone had to be off the ship between 7.30 and 10.00am.  We went down at 0845 and there was an enormous queue with passengers disembarking with hand luggage. I asked the Cunard lady at the head of the queue whether we could go straight off as we were in transit.  She said we should await the final disembarkation announcement just before 10.  I said we were only here for the day and ignored her advice and joined the queue.  About 10 minutes later the same lady came down the line asking for in transit passengers.  We followed her straight off the ship past the horrendous queues of disembarking passengers with luggage.  There was a 5 minute wait at immigration.  It was quick as the officer didn’t take fingerprints etc although he did for those finally disembarking.

Returning to the ship was also a doddle and we bypassed all those checking in.  For the latter the Captain apologised for the long wait.

Tomorrow at sea.

• Like 2

Today the weather is good.  The Captain says that sometime this afternoon he has to reduce speed to 10 knots as we transverse an area of whales on our way to Bar Harbor.

It has been interesting to see the issues the Head Waiter has had to contend with since departing NY.  He has kindly moved us to a window seat.  A couple of guys ushered to our old table remarked, ‘You must be joking?’ before settling on what I would consider a worse table.  Then an elderly couple almost demanding a window seat that at the time was empty although being told repeatedly it was already taken.  Then a couple of women saying they wanted a table for two.  When shown to one saying it was too small.  But they are all that size………!

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, RJChatsworth said:

Now I resort to going to the Library and it is not quick there.

I boarded in NYC. One of the tasks I assigned myself (for nerdy entertainment) was to test the wifi signal around the ship. So far I've found two locations with an excellent signal: the lounge at the Verandah and inside Illuminations (which was a surprise, since I expected Connexions to be a good spot, and it wasn't as good as Illuminations.) The Library only had a fair signal.

• Like 1

Trips in NY seemed expensive if you have been there before and know the ropes.

Tendered into the lovely Bar Harbor today on a beautifully sunny and warm day.

Not wishing to offend but there has been a noticeable change in the demographic since NY.  Rather than QM-2 being the classy liner that it is I think some think it is a holiday camp.  Shorts in the evening in public areas, including the Royal Court Theatre, even seen them in the MDR in the evening.  In the evening in the theatre on the last two evenings I could count five close by who took their masks off and not the same five.

It was very different on the transatlantic crossing to NY.

After beautiful weather in NY, Bar Harbor and Boston it was cold and raining stair rods in Halifax yesterday.  At sea today and clear blue skies, tomorrow NY again.

In Halifax it didn’t look as if anyone was getting off as one passenger ignored repeated requests to go to immigration on the ship immediately.  A final threat about no-one getting off from the Bridge seemed to do the trick.  I was beginning to wonder if they were wanted in Canada!

I do hope the small but significant minority of passengers who disregard others will depart in NY.  They have become more brazen as the week has gone on. An example is the Royal Court Theatre where significant numbers don’t wear masks and I have seen people drinking from wine glasses.  They ignore the theatre announcements.  On our last three QE voyages there have been people in authority in attendance pouncing on people for slipping their masks below their noses.  On QM-2 there has been no-one in authority within the theatre and not even an officer walking through at any time. Certainly not when we have been there each evening.

All the above is at a time when numerous people have been tannoyed and told to return to their cabins immediately and call

the Purser’s Office.  I am told these are Covid cases.  If so presumably they have been awaiting the results of Covid tests.  But why are they roaming the ship whilst waiting?

Roll on New York!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

All the above is at a time when numerous people have been tannoyed and told to return to their cabins immediately and call

the Purser’s Office.  I am told these are Covid cases.  If so presumably they have been awaiting the results of Covid tests.  But why are they roaming the ship whilst waiting?

Roll on New York!

Ohhh so many answers in this brain of mine for you here but I will keep them to me-self!  Stay safe.

Cheers

Saturday at sea and homeward bound to Southampton.  It’s a sunny day now although we have had cloud.  The Captain has just announced a passenger evacuation in the next hour or two.  I think to Boston.  He said at the noon address that we were some 140 miles from there if I remember correctly.  A fixed wing aircraft will be overhead when the helicopter arrives.  The passenger requires urgent investigations in a hospital.  Do hope they are ok.

Yesterday we went to Macy’s on the Cunard Shuttle - $49 each.  It was a beautiful day in NY until we got on the coach to return and the heavens opened.

There seems to be a different set on here since NY.  The mask requirements haven’t changed but people are wearing them and in the theatre.  I hope it stays like this.

We have sailed many times out of NY and I have been aware, cos the Captain tells us, that the pilot disembarks about 45-60 minutes after passing under the Verrazano bridge.  We are always on the starboard side and have never seen him disembark.  Also I’ve thought it’s a long way out from NY!  Now I know the answer as we are on the port side this time.  The pilot boat comes from a much larger ship that seems anchored with landing stage and helicopter pad.  The pilots operate from there.  I have not seen anything like it before.

The Captain says he’s expecting a smooth crossing with pretty good weather.  What is not to like on the beautiful QM-2 with its good food and entertainment.  Six days of relaxation to Southampton!  Wow!

• Like 4

Should have added that getting off as an in-transit passenger in NY yesterday was the best ever.  Didn’t even have to go to one of those immigration boxes that you see at all US airports and ports.  The immigration officer stood at the head of a short line, looked at our passports and asked if we were returning to the ship later.  Hardly had to stop to speak to him!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RJChatsworth said:

The Captain has just announced a passenger evacuation in the next hour or two.  I think to Boston.  He said at the noon address that we were some 140 miles from there if I remember correctly.  A fixed wing aircraft will be overhead when the helicopter arrives.  The passenger requires urgent investigations in a hospital.  Do hope they are ok.

Looks like the evacuation is complete now and you are back on your way to Southampton. Here is the track from marinetraffic. I figured you were about 195 NM east of Boston at closest approach.

Screenshot_20220709-145620_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.7b0e2c257c679e7a5af37c7d2e5ccdcf.jpg

I also hope the passenger is doing ok and this doesn't delay your arrival at Southampton too much. QM2 does have the ability to make up lost time like this early in the crossing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

Saturday at sea and homeward bound to Southampton.  It’s a sunny day now although we have had cloud.  The Captain has just announced a passenger evacuation in the next hour or two.  I think to Boston.  He said at the noon address that we were some 140 miles from there if I remember correctly.  A fixed wing aircraft will be overhead when the helicopter arrives.  The passenger requires urgent investigations in a hospital.  Do hope they are ok.

Yesterday we went to Macy’s on the Cunard Shuttle - $49 each.  It was a beautiful day in NY until we got on the coach to return and the heavens opened.

There seems to be a different set on here since NY.  The mask requirements haven’t changed but people are wearing them and in the theatre.  I hope it stays like this.

We have sailed many times out of NY and I have been aware, cos the Captain tells us, that the pilot disembarks about 45-60 minutes after passing under the Verrazano bridge.  We are always on the starboard side and have never seen him disembark.  Also I’ve thought it’s a long way out from NY!  Now I know the answer as we are on the port side this time.  The pilot boat comes from a much larger ship that seems anchored with landing stage and helicopter pad.  The pilots operate from there.  I have not seen anything like it before.

The Captain says he’s expecting a smooth crossing with pretty good weather.  What is not to like on the beautiful QM-2 with its good food and entertainment.  Six days of relaxation to Southampton!  Wow!

Many years ago 70`s  or so London pilots boarded from large pilot ships at the Sunk 12 miles off Harwich or Dungeness if approaching from the west small tenders were used. Something similar still occurs at the sea pilot station for Hamburg using a large catamaran mothership.

• Like 1

Sunday and a beautifully sunny morning with a pretty calm sea.  Temp perhaps 16C/61F.

In an earlier post on our way out to New York from Southampton I mentioned the number of passengers.  On the return leg the Captain has reported 1803 passengers, predominately from, UK 597, US 541 and Germany 62.  I think he said crew of 1078.  These are considerably different from the outward journey.

Happy sailing!  Sure is here!  Food excellent in Britannia Club too.

• Like 3

Thank you for your posts, Mr Chatsworth. May I ask is there a harpist and string trio on board? If so, are they playing occasionally at tea in the Queen's Room?

We recently had a cruise on the QE and were disappointed there was no harpist. There was a string trio and they played at various locations which was pleasant. But they didn't play once at tea. One day we were treated to an amplified saxophone which made conversation impossible. Another day it was an amplified guitar. Fortunately, a pianist played on some days.

We are taking the QM2 Québec-NY cruise in Britannia Club so we are pleased to hear your  experience there is better than on your first segment.

39 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Sunday and a beautifully sunny morning with a pretty calm sea.  Temp perhaps 16C/61F.

In an earlier post on our way out to New York from Southampton I mentioned the number of passengers.  On the return leg the Captain has reported 1803 passengers, predominately from, UK 597, US 541 and Germany 62.  I think he said crew of 1078.  These are considerably different from the outward journey.

Happy sailing!  Sure is here!  Food excellent in Britannia Club too.

What I should like to know, though I don't honestly see how you can find out, is how many of those passengers are staying on after Southampton, where we embark. If it's lots, that is good, because it will mean fewer people embarking with us, so perhaps less hassle at embarkation. It may also mean less chance of catching Covid from those already on the ship. I hope mask wearing is still holding up.

16 hours ago, sogne said:

Many years ago 70`s  or so London pilots boarded from large pilot ships at the Sunk 12 miles off Harwich or Dungeness if approaching from the west small tenders were used. Something similar still occurs at the sea pilot station for Hamburg using a large catamaran mothership.

i seem to remember reading about a mother ship for Zeebrugge/Nieuport/Ostend pilots. Or did I imagine it?