Princess Changing Cabin Without Notice

Coffeeluvr05

We logged in to check some details of our October sailing on the Discovery only to see that our cabin changed from a lido MF mini-suite to an aft ME mini-suite.  Not sure if they consider that an upgrade, but I sure don't and would have really liked a heads up.  We also have a do not upgrade on our booking so we wouldn't have to deal with this.  I contacted our TA and they contacted Princess and I guess Princess is giving some sort of Covid quarantine explanation as to why we were moved.  Whaaaat?!?  So our TA was told that in 3 business days we would receive an email from Princess with our options for cabins since our original one is not available.  

I do not know what is going on at the Princess corporate office but I am starting to lose confidence in their ability to perform even minimal customer service.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Our TA said this is new and they are finding it very strange as well.

Edited by Coffeeluvr05

8 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

We logged in to check some details of our October sailing on the Discovery only to see that our cabin changed from a lido MF mini-suite to an aft ME mini-suite.  Not sure if they consider that an upgrade, but I sure don't and would have really liked a heads up.  We also have a do not upgrade on our booking so we wouldn't have to deal with this.  I contacted our TA and they contacted Princess and I guess Princess is giving some sort of Covid quarantine explanation as to why we were moved.  Whaaaat?!?  So our TA was told that in 3 business days we would receive an email from Princess with our options for cabins since our original one is not available.  

I do not know what is going on at the Princess corporate office but I am starting to lose confidence in their ability to perform even minimal customer service.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Our TA said this is new and they are finding it very strange as well.

Discovery, what deck?  I have seen several postings like this, different ships because they were booked on quarantine 

decks. 

New? No not really. Has happened to me on a few bookings since pandemic, with do not upgrade. Notice never received and cabin no longer available and it wasn’t for Covid. Also moved as so callednupgrade above buffet, 

8 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Discovery, what deck?  I have seen several postings like this, different ships because they were booked on quarantine 

decks. 

I was booked on the Lido deck and moved to deck 8/Emerald/Aft.  Kind of strange.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dog said:

New? No not really. Has happened to me on a few bookings since pandemic, with do not upgrade. Notice never received and cabin no longer available and it wasn’t for Covid. Also moved as so callednupgrade above buffet, 

I think how they are handling it is new is what the TA was saying.  They are being blocked from even viewing what is available or something like that.  I could hear the frustration in her voice.

9 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I was booked on the Lido deck and moved to deck 8/Emerald/Aft.  Kind of strange.  

The funny thing is that on Royal class ships they have often used portions of Emerald for quarantine (usually Forward, Starboard).  Have not heard of them using any of the Lido cabins.

12 minutes ago, ldtr said:

The funny thing is that on Royal class ships they have often used portions of Emerald for quarantine (usually Forward, Starboard).  Have not heard of them using any of the Lido cabins.

Using the Lido cabins would put them way to close to general daily traffic due to the forward elevators. Doubt they’d do that

51 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

Using the Lido cabins would put them way to close to general daily traffic due to the forward elevators. Doubt they’d do that

It would certainly keep their cigarette (and pot) smoke from drifting up to other balconies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

It would certainly keep their cigarette (and pot) smoke from drifting up to other balconies.

We were on Deck 11, Grand Princess.  Quarantine was Deck 12.  We never smelled cigarette smoke but definitely pot. 🤮🤢

• Like 1

Right at the top of the travel summary from Princess is says:

"Carrier may, without liability for refund or damages, change your booked accommodations at any time without notice"

I always have my travel agent mark my bookings "No Upgrade".  I was on the Caribbean Princess in January and one morning noticed that my cabin assignment had been changed.  They left me in the same category but just moved me from Baja to Aloha.  No biggie.  At least it wasn't an "upgrade" to a cabin right above a nightclub or just below the Melanoma Deck.

19 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

We logged in to check some details of our October sailing on the Discovery only to see that our cabin changed from a lido MF mini-suite to an aft ME mini-suite.  Not sure if they consider that an upgrade, but I sure don't and would have really liked a heads up.  We also have a do not upgrade on our booking so we wouldn't have to deal with this. 

Not a guarantee, only a request.

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Right at the top of the travel summary from Princess is says:

"Carrier may, without liability for refund or damages, change your booked accommodations at any time without notice"

I always have my travel agent mark my bookings "No Upgrade".  I was on the Caribbean Princess in January and one morning noticed that my cabin assignment had been changed.  They left me in the same category but just moved me from Baja to Aloha.  No biggie.  At least it wasn't an "upgrade" to a cabin right above a nightclub or just below the Melanoma Deck.

Yes, well before Covid we were upgrade to a cabin below a bar. Our TA could not get us our original cabin back, but at least finally got us out of that cabin and near to where we had originally been booked.

I noticed it on the personalizer. Our TA did not know until I informed him. He was supposed to get an e-mail alert from Princess, but says he never received it. They say they sent it. Possibly if it had been discovered by me and alerted to our TA earlier, we could have been given our cabin back. But they did lie; Princess claimed the cabin was not in service, but when I asked our steward about the cabin he told me it was occupied.

They "upgraded" us just before the pandemic and I found out about it when I was routinely checking our reservation.  The reservation had been marked "no upgrade" which they later agreed that it was.  I called Princess and complained loudly wanting our old cabin back.  It took several calls to get them to move it back.  Then the pandemic hit, and the cruise was canceled!

With Princess' reputation for playing Cruise Cabin Roulette, it pays to check your booking every day - which is a bit of an annoyance but better than being stuck in a cabin that sucks.  I figure there's a reason those cabins above the nightclubs or under the gym or Melanoma Deck are vacant.  They quietly move an already booked passenger into one of those less-desirable cabins and the better cabin is up for sale.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 6:39 PM, ldtr said:

Yikes, that's where our room was.  On about day 3 or 4, I noticed that there were a bunch of rooms with no names showing on the display.  I thought I would have noticed earlier that there were no names, so my made-up story was that they all got covid and moved to the covid section, BUT it sounds like those were the potential covid rooms.  I figured covid rooms would all be in a designated section though, not few rooms here and there.

11 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I logged in to the personalizer today and low and behold we have our old cabin back!  Woohoo!  Let's just hope it doesn't change again before our sail date.  Gonna be checking more often now!

Yay! And hopefully as you said it will not be changed again. 🤞