Thermal Suite Question

Ellen495

1 hour ago, queen_kathy1 said:

This was certainly NOT the case on the Nieuw Statendam when I sailed in late July.  The hot tub was so hot, I could barely sit in there for 10min. I mentioned this to the staff at the spa and the next day the temp had dropped a few degrees so you could sit in longer, but definitely way warmer than body temperature.  

The hot tub should be hot, well above body temp.  But not too hot.

The hydro pool should be warm.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Exactly. They are two different things, serving two different purposes. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Thanks for this, let me clarify - I was referring to the hydro pool when I said hot tub at the spa.  And believe me, it was stinkin HOT

• Like 1

16 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Thanks for this, let me clarify - I was referring to the hydro pool when I said hot tub at the spa.  And believe me, it was stinkin HOT

We were on the Nieuw Statendam the same week as you. While I have PLENTY of complaints about the thermal spa facilities, the Thalassotherapy Pool wasn't one of them.  The temperature couldn't have been any higher than 100F.  We keep our hot tub at home at around 104, and it was nowhere near that hot.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 4:02 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Affirmative, hydro pools are normally between 90 - 96 F, while a hot tub can be up to 104 F.

When younger, we kept our hot tub at 104 F, but these days prefer it a little cooler, keeping it at 99/100 F during the summer and 101/102 F in the winter.

On 9/4/2023 at 8:02 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Hydro pool yesterday was so hot we couldn’t get in.  I felt a hot tub on Lido  as we were leaving and it was much cooler.  Something was very wrong.  

3 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Hydro pool yesterday was so hot we couldn’t get in.  I felt a hot tub on Lido  as we were leaving and it was much cooler.  Something was very wrong.  

Definitely not right; did you let the spa staff know?

On 9/5/2023 at 11:53 PM, Zukini said:

We were on the Nieuw Statendam the same week as you. While I have PLENTY of complaints about the thermal spa facilities, the Thalassotherapy Pool wasn't one of them.  The temperature couldn't have been any higher than 100F.  We keep our hot tub at home at around 104, and it was nowhere near that hot.

Zukini, we sailed two weeks, July 26 - Aug 9.  If I recall correctly, you sailed one week, our first week.  I used the spa week 2 of my cruise.  

4 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Zukini, we sailed two weeks, July 26 - Aug 9.  If I recall correctly, you sailed one week, our first week.  I used the spa week 2 of my cruise.  

Just curious, did they ever fix the horizontal shower?

The 4/5 star mariner perk - a single day pass to the thermal suite did result in miscommunications between the spa staff and the front desk -guest relations. Print out your list of Mariner perks and be prepared for any possible confusion, if this still exists.  

Spa staff claimed it was available only on port days, or only for a few hours - both not true. Guest relations  confirmed it was one full day pass, with no restrictions.

50 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

The 4/5 star mariner perk - a single day pass to the thermal suite did result in miscommunications between the spa staff and the front desk -guest relations. Print out your list of Mariner perks and be prepared for any possible confusion, if this still exists.  

Spa staff claimed it was available only on port days, or only for a few hours - both not true. Guest relations  confirmed it was one full day pass, with no restrictions.

Just so there's no confusion, the free day pass is only for 5* Mariners.

Also, I don't use mine so have been allowed to let DH use it as well as his own.  YMMV.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 3:48 PM, DaveOKC said:

I have heard that people who prebuy and find the price lower onboard often get a refund.  I have never done this, just passing on other's comments.

We have pre-bought and one time got a refund of the "sale" difference, but one time we did not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2023 at 5:42 AM, zelker said:

Buyer beware … we prepaid for what we thought was for an entire 18 day cruise (it said 14-18 days online and I even called HAL to confirm and was told it was) but when we got on the ship, the spa told us it was only for 14 days and wouldn’t budge.  The Neptune concierge even tried on our behalf.  Ultimately we asked for a refund because it pissed us off.  Not a good way to start a cruise.  YMMV.

The package was listed for $299 14-16 day cruise (ours is 16 days) but when the confirmation email came it only said 14 so I contacted HAL who stated it was for the 16 days.  If I get on the ship and it is only 14 I will be totally p****d!  especially at $960Au!

But will remain positive because it is a luxury that we embrace 🙂

1 hour ago, nannygoatjunction said:

The package was listed for $299 14-16 day cruise (ours is 16 days) but when the confirmation email came it only said 14 so I contacted HAL who stated it was for the 16 days.  If I get on the ship and it is only 14 I will be totally p****d!  especially at $960Au!

On my 17 day 1/13 Koningsdam I bought it and it said 14/20, and was $299 US, FWIW.

On 9/5/2023 at 12:05 AM, Haljo1935 said:

Now wearing a Speedo uncovered to the Lido,  that's a different story...🫣

Speaking of Speedo's, are long/loose swimming trunks also acceptable in the spa? I'm not a big fan of speedo's due to their... revealing nature.

Sorry if this was already asked before.

Edited by ConanD
forgot quote, oops

On 9/19/2023 at 5:38 AM, nannygoatjunction said:

Perhaps 16 days includes embarkation day when the spa probably won’t be available and disembarkation day when it definitely won’t? That would leave 14 days of access.

I bet that is the because "the computer software" only has parameters for 14 days and not 16 days.  I'll bet you will be soaking in the pool and laying on the hot loungers for all 16 days without any issues.

(The thermal suite is available on embarkation......in the late afternoon after the tours and the raffle.)

• 3 weeks later...