Cruise Vets - What are some items to pack you would NEVER leave home without???

joecool234

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, I'm dumb. 

Yeah I need to walk 10-20,000 steps a day to stay off blood pressure medication stay alive for my kids.  So I walk a lot.  At first I didn't enjoy it but now I listen to podcasts while walking and learn something new everyday and it's been a lovely change.  I really need a step counter on a cruise to make sure I get enough exercise and not lose my fitness.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@unrealHeather and @Mum2Mercury, sorry about my tone yesterday. While I don't agree that all the items you pack is necessary, I was rude in saying so. After all, we're all there to enjoy and if you need the items to enjoy your cruise, then bring 'em on board! It sure doesn't affect me at all. 

I was in a bad mood yesterday and forgot my mantra of "different strokes for different folks." Anyway, I hope you enjoy any upcoming cruises you have!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, unrealHeather said:

Yeah I need to walk 10-20,000 steps a day to stay off blood pressure medication stay alive for my kids.  So I walk a lot.  At first I didn't enjoy it but now I listen to podcasts while walking and learn something new everyday and it's been a lovely change.  I really need a step counter on a cruise to make sure I get enough exercise and not lose my fitness.

I try to stay somewhat fit, and actually one of the things I enjoy on our cruises is more time/access for exercise.  One of my good friends has one of those pedometer watches.  Can't remember what one, but it is pretty neat.  I just go by time on the treadmill.  If I go by distance it might look like I'm not working out!  😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cellphone does almost all: camera, alarm clock, flashlight, and even a small-screen book-reader! Email access when there is Wifi, and even a phone if needed. So of course, charger/charging cord. 

If more sea-days, I would probably bring my Kindle-paperwhite and knitting!  

ETA: Samsung phones have "Health" app that counts steps! Not that I use it but my husband does...

Edited by crystalspin

I just purchased the apple luggage tag.  Keeps track of where your bags are in case the airline/cruise line “misplaces” your bag. Uses your Find My app to track. Also for those who use hearing aides, a spare set if you have one.  CPAP users…check on board for distilled water and a long extension cord.

On 7/5/2022 at 6:54 AM, kelkel2 said:

The other thing I remember to do before going is notify your credit card company that you’ll be out of the country. I’m not sure if people still do this, but whatever card you plan on using make sure to tell the bank. Our bank flags any out of the country purchase and will call/text you and expect a reply if you don’t notify them. I don’t really want to to deal with that out of the country. 

I know that my Capital One, Discover and Amazon Chase have on all of there's.

" Please contact us if you will be traveling out of the country"

So yea that would be the smart thing to do..

I always make sure to pack water resistant  tote bag that folds flat.  Many excursions go to beaches, so it can be used as a beach bag.  Where to put dirty laundry is always an issue on a cruise, so the tote bag can double as a hamper that just sits in the closet floor.  And, as we know, we buy way too many souvenirs while on a cruise.  The tote bag becomes an extra carryon when getting off the cruise.  Also, depending on the cruise itinerary, I bring a pair of binoculars ( especially if I have an ocean view or balcony cabin).

3 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Where to put dirty laundry is always an issue on a cruise, so the tote bag can double as a hamper that just sits in the closet floor

I have a woven "bag" that was packing material for some high-end Lenovo monitor (I work in IT support, I have access to such material), it's large and I use it for my laundry.  At the end of the cruise I just grab that and toss it in the suitcase - packing done!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2022 at 1:17 PM, ldubs said:

I try to stay somewhat fit, and actually one of the things I enjoy on our cruises is more time/access for exercise.  One of my good friends has one of those pedometer watches.  Can't remember what one, but it is pretty neat.  I just go by time on the treadmill.  If I go by distance it might look like I'm not working out!  😀

Me too.  I'm in much better shape than the average middle-aged person, and I do work at it.  

My Running Club starts up again (after summer break) tomorrow night, and I'm not 'specially excited, but I'm going out today to treat myself to a new pair of running shoes and some cushy new socks -- aren't new socks just such a nice little treat?  By the time 6:30 tomorrow night rolls around, I'll have a better attitude.  

On 7/23/2022 at 3:41 PM, crystalspin said:

Cellphone does almost all: camera, alarm clock, flashlight, and even a small-screen book-reader! Email access when there is Wifi, and even a phone if needed. So of course, charger/charging cord. 

If more sea-days, I would probably bring my Kindle-paperwhite and knitting!  

ETA: Samsung phones have "Health" app that counts steps! Not that I use it but my husband does...

Yeah, but you can't count on your finicky cell phone -- someone already mentioned time changes vs. ship time.  My phone battery wears down in no time.  I looked into getting the battery replaced, and I KNOW it would be a good choice -- but I have a hard time paying $60 for a tweak to a 6-year old phone.  

On 7/23/2022 at 4:20 PM, Billdref said:

I just purchased the apple luggage tag.  Keeps track of where your bags are in case the airline/cruise line “misplaces” your bag. Uses your Find My app to track. Also for those who use hearing aides, a spare set if you have one.  CPAP users…check on board for distilled water and a long extension cord.

I hope you never have to use it! 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:58 PM, hallux said:

I have a woven "bag" that was packing material for some high-end Lenovo monitor (I work in IT support, I have access to such material), it's large and I use it for my laundry.  At the end of the cruise I just grab that and toss it in the suitcase - packing done!

Why not just open the suitcase in the bottom of the closet and throw clothes in as they become dirty?  End of the cruise, zip it up, and you're packed for home. 

I always pack a few dryer sheets between my clothes to keep things fresh, and back home, I Febreeze the suitcase and leave it standing open a few days.  

On 7/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, unrealHeather said:

Note on the Sacagawea coins.  Most staff on the cruise ships are not American and unless you're cruising in and out of USA, they will need to exchange this money to their home currency. It is difficult to exchange coins into another currency.  I would stick to USD or Euro bills.  It's a lovely idea but it may make not be as received as warmly as you think given the extra work it will take the recipient to undertake.  

This gives me pause.  Usually I'll go to the bank and get a stack of $2 bills for tipping on trips.  Most American's get a kick out of a $2 bill because they're uncommon, unfortunately a small number of Americas are ignorant and think $2 bills are fake.

Not sure if want "is this real" drama on board.

Edited by Stosh68
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stosh68 said:

This gives me pause.  Usually I'll go to the bank and get a stack of $2 bills for tipping on trips.  Most American's get a kick out of a $2 bill because they're uncommon, unfortunately a small number of Americas are ignorant and think $2 bills are fake.

Using $2 bills is almost as bad as using the coin money.  Why make it difficult for the crew and I would question whether most Americans get a kick out of a $2 bill.  Tip people w real money and not w real money that looks like fake money.  Why make it difficult for the crew.

DON

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Why make it difficult for the crew.

I agree with you.  However, in recent years when I decided to increase the tip that I leave for a hotel's housekeeper, I have begun obtaining some $2 bills simply to reduce the number of $1 bills I take with me.  

I've changed my mind, I'm bringing $2 bills.

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Using $2 bills is almost as bad as using the coin money.  Why make it difficult for the crew and I would question whether most Americans get a kick out of a $2 bill.  Tip people w real money and not w real money that looks like fake money.  Why make it difficult for the crew.

DON

Edited by Stosh68

On 7/24/2022 at 3:59 AM, InNeedOfSaltWater said:

I know that my Capital One, Discover and Amazon Chase have on all of there's.

" Please contact us if you will be traveling out of the country"

So yea that would be the smart thing to do..

I'm not sure when the change happened but Chase Visa cards no longer allow notifications for international travel.  When you click on that link it says their fraud detection algorithm is all that is needed. Problem is the first purchase is flagged and a text sent with the standard "is that you" message.  Makes things kind of sticky.  I liked the old system better.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm not sure when the change happened but Chase Visa cards no longer allow notifications for international travel.  

It's been awhile since the new system is in place and, like you, I think I prefer the old system.  However, the new system is more efficient.  When I did my world cruise, the agent wanted me to name all of the countries where the cards potentially could be used.  That took some time and I got the impression that the agent was becoming impatient.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It's been awhile since the new system is in place and, like you, I think I prefer the old system.  However, the new system is more efficient.  When I did my world cruise, the agent wanted me to name all of the countries where the cards potentially could be used.  That took some time and I got the impression that the agent was becoming impatient.  

I ran into something similar with the old system.  I think it was the online form could only handle a few weeks or something. That would explain why you had to talk to an agent. 

Under the new system, I had our first purchase in Spain declined until we could verify by text it was us making the charge.  After that things were OK.  I just hope whatever algorithm they use isn't going to cause problems.  We have a meeting with our Chase banker in a couple weeks to update some forms.  I hope to pick her brain about how this new system works.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

We have a meeting with our Chase banker in a couple weeks to update some forms.  I hope to pick her brain about how this new system works.   

Please share with us what you learn.

My worst experience in trying to put a travel notification on a credit card was on a card issued by Citibank.  The agent with whom I spoke was not in the United States.  (My guess from what I was hearing in talking with her was she was in India.)  I had a terrible time getting her to understand what I was trying to do.  Because I couldn't understand her clearly, whether due to her accent or the connection, I finally gave up and decided I would not attempt to use that card when I was out of town.  I did try to use the card when I was in Florida--just to see what would happen--the purchase was approved right away even without the travel notification on the account.  Maybe it did, somehow, get the notification posted on my account?  

• Like 1

$2 bills are a very bad idea. Tour operators in multiple countries told me that because they are so unusual, they can’t use them or convert them to local currency. Their local banks won’t take them. And yes,there are many people in the US that wouldn’t believe they are real either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were in Nepal and a shop owner asked my husband if he could "exchange" a bill. Someone had passed him a US SILVER-Certificate! I forget the denomination, let's say $5. My husband actually collects odd pieces of money, so happily gave vendor the equivalent in crisp US$. 

Who would do that???

• Like 3

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Someone had passed him a US SILVER-Certificate! I forget the denomination, let's say $5. My husband actually collects odd pieces of money, so happily gave vendor the equivalent in crisp US$. 

Who would do that???

It is good that your husband did that.  But, given the condition of the US Silver Certificate, it is possibly worth more than just an "odd piece of money".  Even in poor condition, the bill is possibly worth more than it's face value.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

And yes,there are many people in the US that wouldn’t believe they are real either.

Given the fact that these bills are legal tender, if a US resident/citizen doesn't use them, that is clearly their problem.  

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

Some people are very stupid. 

Two dollar bills and the one dollar coins are both equally stupid.  Why use coinage that nobody recognizes as real unless you are trying to make a point for its own sake.  Even worse when you foist those thing on crew staff who will have a great difficulty converting them from unrecognizable currency to something that they can spend.  I found one of those $1 coins in a pile of change I got so now I have to go to the bank to convert it to a paper $1 bill so I can spend it easily.

DON

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:56 AM, Stosh68 said:

On 9/4/2022 at 1:34 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

Yeah, I'm the one who originally said (admitted) that I purposefully brought Sacagawea dollars as tips -- and I totally regretted it.  I didn't anticipate the problems.  

On 9/9/2022 at 11:49 PM, sandiego1 said:

Some people are very stupid. 

Eh, consider that we as a society don't use cash nearly as much as we used to -- we have a generation of young people who are much more adept at using plastic.  I personally tend to keep the same couple bills in my wallet for weeks -- maybe even months.  I'm really, really good at money management, but cash isn't typically what I use.