Walgreens starting to charge for Travel COVID tests

50 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Believe it or not, the end game of cruise lines is to make money.  There’s no federal mandate requiring vaccinated cruises - they’re doing it because, as they’ve indicated at recent earnings, they’re meeting passenger expectations.  Pre-Covid, the lions share of cruisers were older, well educated and came from households with high discretionary incomes — a demographic that largely supports the mandate.

I live in South OC, CA near the coast, among the wealthiest areas of the country.  A large, noticeable faction of the local population still chooses to wear masks, because again, some people still take Covid seriously, whether you do or not.  Some y’all need to get out of your “zone” in rural Texas and recognize that businesses chase the big money.  And there’s a lot more money to be spent from those living in places like SoCal and NYC than Lubbock.

So I was right, you are being sarcastic; or clueless; or both. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Believe it or not, the end game of cruise lines is to make money.  There’s no federal mandate requiring vaccinated cruises - they’re doing it because, as they’ve indicated at recent earnings, they’re meeting passenger expectations.  Pre-Covid, the lions share of cruisers were older, well educated and came from households with high discretionary incomes — a demographic that largely supports the mandate.

I live in South OC, CA near the coast, among the wealthiest areas of the country.  A large, noticeable faction of the local population still chooses to wear masks, because again, some people still take Covid seriously, whether you do or not.  Some y’all need to get out of your “zone” in rural Texas and recognize that businesses chase the big money.  And there’s a lot more money to be spent from those living in places like SoCal and NYC than Lubbock.

Are you sure the dominant share of cruisers fit that description?   That sounds more like suite guests which is a small minority of guests. 

One of my best friends just moved from “The OC” to Texas.  He’d been living there for nearly 20 years.  He said they are much happier now.  By the way, Cali survives via deficit spending.  So much wealth and they can’t even balance a budget.  Oh, and the great track record of Orange County.  I don’t think anyone should be using examples from Cali for any economics example (or any policy or behavior otherwise) and expect it meets the assumption there is anything rational about it.  So Cal is a a very insular place.  Been there many times.   It is nothing like the rest of America thank goodness.  

And much like the government mentioned above, these so called wealthy folks you are referencing often using credit card balances to vacation. In states like Cali,  that is called discretionary spending.  😂😂😂

• Haha 3

On 6/30/2022 at 4:19 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

I saw a post here awhile ago that there’s a site that charges 10.00 to proctor a test, and we can use the free ones that we received from the government. I don’t remember the site, maybe someone can post a link here. 

Rapidtest&trace.com - very easy. We used our free IHEALTH tests but they have quite a list of free tests that you can use. You can make an appt. Get your results immediately and the cost was $20 per person.  I recommend and RCI accepted, no issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, britty1 said:

Rapidtest&trace.com - very easy. We used our free IHEALTH tests but they have quite a list of free tests that you can use. You can make an appt. Get your results immediately and the cost was $20 per person.  I recommend and RCI accepted, no issues.

We don’t have the free tests from IHealth. We received other ones. Where did you see the list of tests that can be used? I didn’t see it on the page

9 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We don’t have the free tests from IHealth. We received other ones. Where did you see the list of tests that can be used? I didn’t see it on the page

There's a list when you go to schedule your appointments, but that list also includes an "other" option and you type in the name of your test if it's not on their pre-made list of 8 or so. In other words, you can use any legit test you want there.

They also have a live chat feature and the chat rep I spoke to was very helpful and responsive if you'd like to ask them anything directly.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Go to or find Rapid test devices, at the very bottom of the page, scroll down and there is a list of FDA approved tests.  If the free tests you have are FDA approved listed on your box, they should be on the list and OK to use.

• Like 1

I don't know if this helps or not but I did recently find out that my insurance (which is crappy by the way) actually covers up to 8 home tests.  The ones you get that are proctored are included.  Reach out to your insurance company.  They don't tell you unless you ask.  Go figure, right?  

• Like 1

I am sailing Friday. I would like to use the free FDA approved tests from the government and one of the online proctoring sites (rapid trace). Has anyone used this site or knows for a fact that Royal accepts them to get on the ship??? TIA 

3 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

I am sailing Friday. I would like to use the free FDA approved tests from the government and one of the online proctoring sites (rapid trace). Has anyone used this site or knows for a fact that Royal accepts them to get on the ship??? TIA 

See post #202 above

3 hours ago, britty1 said:

would you be able to share your letter from them or did you share on your phone?

To tell you the truth, the tests are pretty much worthless anyway.  I did a cruise in the fall and got a test from CVS and they texted me the results.  I used a screen shot of that report to board.

A few months later I did another cruise, got tested, and CVS texted me the results.  I did a screen shot as before.

I get to the pier and to prove I was vaxxed I pulled up the screen shot and was cleared to board.  It was only later while sitting in the lounge area waiting to board that I noticed I had shown the wrong screen shot.  I was cleared to board with a test over 60 days old.

About as useful as the health question form that you had to fill out while standing in line on boarding day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

To tell you the truth, the tests are pretty much worthless anyway.  I did a cruise in the fall and got a test from CVS and they texted me the results.  I used a screen shot of that report to board.

A few months later I did another cruise, got tested, and CVS texted me the results.  I did a screen shot as before.

I get to the pier and to prove I was vaxxed I pulled up the screen shot and was cleared to board.  It was only later while sitting in the lounge area waiting to board that I noticed I had shown the wrong screen shot.  I was cleared to board with a test over 60 days old.

About as useful as the health question form that you had to fill out while standing in line on boarding day.

Wow. I thought they scanned the QE code which has the test date and results. 

5 hours ago, cruisebabe50 said:

I don't know if this helps or not but I did recently find out that my insurance (which is crappy by the way) actually covers up to 8 home tests.  The ones you get that are proctored are included.  Reach out to your insurance company.  They don't tell you unless you ask.  Go figure, right?  

They're offering them for free at my pharmacy. We keep accepting them and have only ever used one of them so far. Now at least we have a use for these things before they expire!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The pier has no capability to scan QR codes from multiple providers

I thought QR codes could be scanned by any camera with internet. Not talking about the pier just in general. I believe you if for no other reason, I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, tennislvr8 said:

I thought QR codes could be scanned by any camera with internet. Not talking about the pier just in general. I believe you if for no other reason, I don’t know. 

A smartphone can scan a QR code that is programmed to be read, mostly promotional and open source informational. 

A smartphone can’t scan a code that is linked to personal data. 

On 7/1/2022 at 1:48 PM, Gregg00ss said:

I just did a mock booking on Walgreens, said it was for travel, no symptoms, etc..  Put my insurance info in and it let me book an appointment and said nothing about costing anything.  I have very good medical insurance so I'm not sure if my insurance is covering it no questions asked or if this is an oversite and Walgreens isn't even running insurance until you show up to see what you owe.  

well that is fascinating as I just made an appointment for this Friday and I put my insurance information in and it would not take.  Said due to funding they can't take.

So I went in again and put in NO insurance and went through all the steps and go an appointment.

so in a nutshell, when dealing with Walgreens just say no insurance.  the drop down list is confusing for insurance and have the type that is listed over 20 times with variants

and sometimes they want a group number but my card does not have one.

so just select NO insurance.  BTW the appointment setup is now TIMED and so be quick as you have 3 minutes or maybe 4

I went to Walgreens today thinking I could get a free COVID test as I’ve done in the past. They asked if I knew that the tests now cost $129 and that they haven’t found any insurance provider yet to approve payment.  I have Medicare.  They said it wouldn’t pay so I left with no test.  I didn’t need it for travel but just wanted to make sure I was COVID free as I feel like I have a cold.  We are cruising in August and I was planning on going to Walgreens before boarding.  I guess I need a new plan.  

On 7/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, molly361 said:

Have you done the at home proctored tests without someone else there to help you?

My friend did it in a tent while camping. Her kids were asleep in the tent, and her husband was at home, so nobody helped her. She just propped her phone and used a camping lantern so there would be enough light for the proctor to monitor.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 11:25 AM, tennislvr8 said:

Yes we used the rapidtestandtrace.com for our RCI cruise and was accepted NO QUESTIONS asked.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:18 AM, hlfrps said:

I don't know the answer to that and what I am gathering, all Walgreens are different.  Here in Newport News we were able to book same day, Wednesday, before a Friday sailing.  Another good reason to have those video test kits handy in case your local Walgreens/CVS are not available.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, Biker19 said:

There are no grats on the C&A perk drinks. Drinks covered by the drink package already include grats, so there are no grats billed on those either. The only time you should see grats is if you outright buy a drink or the drink you get is above the limit of the package/perk.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:08 PM, SoCali4 said:

We cruised on the Navigator         May 23-27. Pool heaters are broken and hot tubs were severely overcrowded. 

On 5/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, VTSKIandCRUISEGUY said:

Thanks for the replies. Oasis class ships have a too-small Windjammer, so definitely need other choices.  I know that Park Cafe is a good alternative, so we'll probably go to DC when we want basic, and PC when we want something a little more.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:37 PM, OCSC Mike said:

There are other sites you can use besides the actual iHealth site...

https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/

Yes, they were good, quick and report generated while still connected to proctor.