Travel day bag

stunned

I’ve always worn backpacks on shore excursions or just exploring cities, but in May I carried a Travelon anti theft crossbody bag and found it weighing me down and causing shoulder discomfort. Does anyone have suggestions for a lightweight bag (big enough for water bottle, rolled jacket and phone, travel umbrella and small wallet). 

I just bought a Cotopaxi Taal convertible.  it may be bigger than what you want, but it's worth a look.  Extremely lightweight and you can use it as a backpack or crossbody.  it has an internal bottle pocket and plenty of room for your other things, and maybe some snacks you pick up along the way.  It's going to be my everyday bag.  I like Cotopaxi as a company for it's use of repurposed materials, keeping it out of landfills, and their ethics and eco policies.  

Also, take a look at some of the Sherpani bags.  i have a few of them, too (what can i say - i'm a bag junkie).  Some of them are convertibles and have good anti-theft features if you want.  I have used a Dispatch bag as my everyday bag for 3 years and i love it.  Before my Dispatch, I used my Tempest bag as my everday and travel bag.  it's still in good condition, but I like to try new things.  I also have a Camden, but it's more for using as my 2nd bag for weekends.  

• Like 3

I've been a big fan of Kipling bags for travel for quite a while. They are EXTREMELY lightweight and yet they are very good at shedding water if you get caught in a downpour. (Not 100% waterproof, but better than most bags out there...)

They have many different styles, all with good sturdy zippers and many pockets. I generally prefer the cross-body bags and Kipling bags have a nice long adjustable (and comfortable) canvas strap. Because I'm on the taller side, a lot of cross-body bags are rather short on me -- I prefer to not wear them just under my armpit, but rather nearer to my waist.

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've been a big fan of Kipling bags for travel for quite a while. They are EXTREMELY lightweight and yet they are very good at shedding water if you get caught in a downpour. (Not 100% waterproof, but better than most bags out there...)

They have many different styles, all with good sturdy zippers and many pockets. I generally prefer the cross-body bags and Kipling bags have a nice long adjustable (and comfortable) canvas strap. Because I'm on the taller side, a lot of cross-body bags are rather short on me -- I prefer to not wear them just under my armpit, but rather nearer to my waist.

I bought a Kipling daypack at the airport in Cairo - I wasn't happy with lugging my camera backpack everywhere.  The kipling was much lighter!

Another lightweight brand is LeSportsac. They have all sizes and the colors and prints are really fun. The nylon is light and sturdy.

Another fan of Kipling.  I also have a small daypack which folds and zips into a wallet size case.  When packed it is 4 inches x 6 inches.  It folds out to a sturdy but light pack half the size of a day pack.  I was gifted this one but I have seen them available in specialty travel stores or the travel gear section of Amazon.  It fits small umbrella, poncho, water, etc…. I still prefer my phone and credit card in my thin waist wallet.  

• Like 1

I absolutely love my Lonchamp LePliage bag.  I have it in large and it has wonderful shoulder straps and I feel like no matter how much I load it up it never hurts my shoulder and I am very sensitive to that.  They also fold up perfectly for travel.  I can't say enough good things about them.  Look up videos on YT, there are tons of them.  

On 6/30/2022 at 12:25 PM, stunned said:

I’ve always worn backpacks on shore excursions or just exploring cities, but in May I carried a Travelon anti theft crossbody bag and found it weighing me down and causing shoulder discomfort. Does anyone have suggestions for a lightweight bag (big enough for water bottle, rolled jacket and phone, travel umbrella and small wallet). 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it:  a small backpack is a fantastic choice.  I love my small Osprey Day Lite.  It's narrow, so it doesn't bother my shoulders, and it can hold a water bladder.  

If you want a different type of bag, consider a Healthy Back Bag.  Mine is a medium, and I find it a nice size.  It's tear-drop shaped, and all the details are spot-on:  pockets sized for pamphlets or tickets, even a sunglass pocket.  You can "sling it around" and unzip the main pocket to reach your wallet without removing it from your body -- and the main pocket zipper is kinda "under your arm", so difficult to pickpocket.  Mine is navy blue nylon, and my husband'll even carry it -- it looks like a cross between a backpack and a tote bag, not at all feminine.  

Oh, and it is called a "HEALTHY BACK" bag -- it feels like nothing.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, graceinga said:

I absolutely love my Lonchamp LePliage bag.  I have it in large and it has wonderful shoulder straps and I feel like no matter how much I load it up it never hurts my shoulder and I am very sensitive to that.  They also fold up perfectly for travel.  I can't say enough good things about them.  Look up videos on YT, there are tons of them.  

I've tried to love LePliage, I really have. But the straps slide off my sloped shoulders unless I'm constantly holding the body of the bag down with my hand, and I'm not a fan of the big unconstructed interior. (Yes, I know you can buy inserts/organizers but....just don't want that much bother.)

Also, so many people have recommended the MZ Wallace bags to me for travel that I purchased one to try.  It didn't seem that much heavier when empty, but when I carried out around full of my usual travel items, it seemed MUCH heavier than the Kipling I'm used to. 

My advice to anyone would be to try out a new bag before you travel with it to be SURE it works for you, and don't necessarily rely on recommendations from others, as they may or may not mesh with your own needs/preferences.

• Like 1

I travelled once with a theft-deterrent bag, and it's lived in my closet ever since. 

My go-to bag, both at home and while travelling, is the Tom Bihn Swift. As a knitter, I try to avoid zippers on my bags, and this one checks all of my boxes. It is on the heavy side, but I find that it's comfortable enough that I don't mind. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OMGosh, I’m 77, 5’3” great grandmother, Ive traveled around the world with one of those unstructured backpacks 🎒you get from donating to a charity. I guess I’m missing out on new tech, but “ it works”. No one thinks I’ve anything of value in it , cause I don’t. Credit cards a bit of cash, ship card, I.d.  goes in my bra. 😀

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

What are everyone's top 5-10 items that absolutely must be in your day bag when you're on out on tour/excursion (that isn't the beach)?  Mine are:

1.  Hand Sanitizer

2.  Tissue/Kleenex

3.  Wallet (spare cash, cards, ID & copy of passport)

4.  Chapstick

5.  Lotion (hand & sun)

6.  Stomach and headache medication (just in case)

9 minutes ago, KeroTravel said:

What are everyone's top 5-10 items that absolutely must be in your day bag when you're on out on tour/excursion (that isn't the beach)?  Mine are:

1.  Hand Sanitizer

2.  Tissue/Kleenex

4.  Chapstick

5.  Lotion (hand & sun)

1,2 and 4 for sure.  Small amount of sunscreen, credit card and phone which is really all I absolutely need.  If it can’t fit it a waist wallet it isn’t needed.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KeroTravel said:

I'm also one for a waist wallet … or a hip bag (as I believe that is what they are called these days).  I'm curious as to what people are putting in the slings and backpacks.  For me less is better.  

My waist wallet is a hidden wallet.  I use it for much of my travels.  When crime isn’t an issue I use a tiny day pack and add water and apples and  trail mix.  I hate to eat garbage food but I get hungry walking around. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KeroTravel said:

1.  Hand Sanitizer

2.  Tissue/Kleenex

4.  Chapstick

5.  Lotion (hand & sun)

Small wallet (leave all but what is really needed in cabin or hotel room)

Sunglasses

Kleenex

Phone

Chapstick or similar

Collapsible water bottle

Maps or notes + pen

Small (trial size) pill bottle with ibuprofen, acetaminophen, claritin, immodium, etc.

Depending on the day or the type of touring:

Small folding umbrella

Small digital camera

Granola bar or similar

Kindle

Sunscreen

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Small wallet (leave all but what is really needed in cabin or hotel room)

Sunglasses

Kleenex

Phone

Chapstick or similar

Collapsible water bottle

Maps or notes + pen

Small (trial size) pill bottle with ibuprofen, acetaminophen, claritin, immodium, etc.

Depending on the day or the type of touring:

Small folding umbrella

Small digital camera

Granola bar or similar

Kindle

Sunscreen

My water bottle isn't collaspible and I now use my iPhone 13 Pro as my camera,  other than that, I agree with Cynthia.  What i will add is:

reading glasses

bandana or other scarf that i will use for multiple purposes.  I usually tie this to my bag strap.

• 7 months later...

I like to use an infinity scarf with a zippered hidden pocket that holds my iPhone mini, a credit card, ID, small amount of cash. If you are talented, I would imagine they are easy to sew. If you're not (like me), check out Etsy. I carry a water bottle, but leave it on the excursion shuttle.

Edited by LarsenPNP

Y'all carry a lot of stuff!  For a typical shore excursion or day on an island, I'd bring: 

- Cash money and/or card on my person /not in a wallet

- Necessary documents on my person /not in a wallet

- Maps, notes about our plans for the day, tickets or other print-outs in my backpack 

- Sunglasses and hat (worn, not carried in a bag) 

- Phone in my backpack 

- Camera in my backpack 

- Clip-on watch, which stays on my backpack ... useful if your phone dies or if you're not sure about the time zones

- A small snack for my husband's blood sugar in my backpack 

- I might bring a water bottle, but more often I pick up a cold drink on shore ... they're readily available 

- Anything specific we might need for the day's plans 

21 hours ago, LarsenPNP said:

I like to use an infinity scarf with a zippered hidden pocket ... 

I have one of these, and I never remember it!  Wouldn't be much use in the Caribbean, but I'm going to try it out.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I carry a medium sized cross-body bag. I carry my ID, a credit card, a bit of cash, sunglasses, lipstick, iPhone, and that’s it. The wallet stays in the safe on the ship. 

I’m surprised that so many people carry back packs … I always figure they make life easy for pickpockets. 

On 5/12/2023 at 6:02 PM, LarsenPNP said:

I like to use an infinity scarf with a zippered hidden pocket that holds my iPhone mini, a credit card, ID, small amount of cash. If you are talented, I would imagine they are easy to sew. If you're not (like me), check out Etsy. I carry a water bottle, but leave it on the excursion shuttle.

Wouldn’t have worked last summer in Europe.  With the temperatures 100-103F in the daytime and still in the 90s at night, I wanted NOTHING around my neck!  

I carry pretty much the same stuff on an excursion day that is part of my EDC at home: 

- Phone & power pack

- Wallet

- Notebook & pen (Traveller's Company notebook + Pilot Vanishing Point fountain pen)

- Kobo ereader

- Small knitting project & small knitting tool kit (snips, cable needle, stitch markers)

- Handkerchief

If it's hot, I add a small fan (old school folding fan, not powered), and a water bottle. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 8:02 PM, mrgabriel said:

... I’m surprised that so many people carry back packs … I always figure they make life easy for pickpockets. 

Eh, maybe, but that's why I keep my ID and money on my person.  If I were to lose a map or a pack of crackers, my world wouldn't end.  

3 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

- Kobo ereader

- Small knitting project & small knitting tool kit (snips, cable needle, stitch markers)

Several people have mentioned a book.  I think a knitting project is a first. 

Beaches aside, when are y'all reading or crafting?