Auto Gratuities- Yes or No?

29 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Neither harsh nor unkind.  If the room attendants have more financially lucrative opportunities at home, why wouldn't they take them?  A cruise is not a social justice encounter group.

Bottom line:  You're making an excuse for not tipping or tipping way below the auto amount.

3 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

To those who say, do you tip your doctor? No, that goes against the ethics of the medical profession. I learned that when I sent flowers to a nurse who wrangled an approval from my insurance company. However, you absolutely can tip many other professions if you want. The guy who quickly gets your car looking like new again after an accident, a gift card is a nice gesture. Some carryout pizzas when you have workmen at your place. An extra $20 to the guy who gets your a/c repaired, "lunch is on me." Etc.

Frankly, I'm a huge believer in adding all educators to the list of professionals who get tips more often. There's a little bit of tipping already in grade schools with students bringing an apple for their teacher  but why not students bringing in an Apple MacBook Pro for their incredible, wonderful,  g.o.a.t. Economics/Finance Professor. 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Frankly, I'm a huge believer in adding all educators to the list of professionals who get tips more often. There's a little bit of tipping already in grade schools with students bringing an apple for their teacher  but why not students bringing in an Apple MacBook Pro for their incredible, wonderful,  g.o.a.t. Economics/Finance Professor. 😁

My kids are beyond college age.  Even when they were in elementary school, we received notes from the (then called) room mothers with the "suggested" donation for Christmas time and end of year "gifts".

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

My kids are beyond college age.  Even when they were in elementary school, we received notes from the (then called) room mothers with the "suggested" donation for Christmas time and end of year "gifts".

Interesting.  Our public educators are prohibited from receiving gifts of any kind, unless they they are considered to be of "de minimis value".  Basically, a fruit basket or box of chocolates would be OK, a gift card would not.

10 hours ago, MsMidge said:

Your assuming the employees pay is affected by how many people pay the DSC.  Isn’t this the cruiseline that shares the DSC fleet wide, so your money could be going to pay the crew on other ships.  More likely its going to the company and their shareholders.  That’s why they aren’t transparent where it goes.

It's transparent -  see your booking conditions number 13. Also collect a more detailed list from Guest Relations on the ship. 

9 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

If I can afford to cruise, I can afford to tip. Just came off a 28 night B2B, have a 43 night next Spring with a bunch of 10 day ones sprinkled in between. I'll tip the same amount per day on each. 

good for you,  not all of us have your millions.  Some save for years to take one cruise.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

good for you,  not all of us have your millions.  Some save for years to take one cruise.

As someone who didn't take our first cruise until long after our kids were grown and gone because that's when we could finally afford it, I appreciate having to wait to cruise. As someone who has worked for tips, I know how important it is to tip for a job well done. If I can't afford the cost, I don't do it and if I can't afford something, I certainly don't take it out on the staff. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

A distribution list that lists “other” personnel in the breakdown is the definition of NOT transparent. 

Please quote accurately: it lists 4 specific people and then " other Housekeeping Personnel".  Do you really expect them to list each one separately? As I said previously if you ask on board you will be given a list of how much the named/main people get, the balance being divided amongst the rest.

I've been posting on this board for 20 years now. Two decades.  From the get-go when we started cruising in 1973 I considered tips to be part of the cost of cruising.  And, here I am still thinking after almost 50 years:  WHAT IS THE FRIGGIN' BIG DEAL ABOUT TIPS????  You cruise/you pay.  

My answer to self is: "Self, it's because it looks to be discretionary, so other people make it want they want it to be."  Basically, they JUST DON'T WANT TO PAY THE TIPS.  Call them cheap, call them misguided, but it all boils down to they don't want to let that money out of their hands.

I only originally posted on this thread because I thought the OP wasn't aware of current financial situation for many of the crew, and didn't know how the tip distribution works.  But, usually I take a "horse to water" approach with these threads, and let someone else lead the horse..............

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, pcur said:

I've been posting on this board for 20 years now. Two decades.  From the get-go when we started cruising in 1973 I considered tips to be part of the cost of cruising.  And, here I am still thinking after almost 50 years:  WHAT IS THE FRIGGIN' BIG DEAL ABOUT TIPS????  You cruise/you pay.  

My answer to self is: "Self, it's because it looks to be discretionary, so other people make it want they want it to be."  Basically, they JUST DON'T WANT TO PAY THE TIPS.  Call them cheap, call them misguided, but it all boils down to they don't want to let that money out of their hands.

I only originally posted on this thread because I thought the OP wasn't aware of current financial situation for many of the crew, and didn't know how the tip distribution works.  But, usually I take a "horse to water" approach with these threads, and let someone else lead the horse..............

Well said.  I'm sure if one were to conduct a study on those who cancelled their auto gratuities with the justification that they would rather pay their gratuities directly in cash to people who helped them, the % of those who actually ended up paying as much overall would be extremely minimal. There's no science on this as direct cash tips would be all but untraceable, but I'd bet my next cruise's auto-gratuities it's under 10%.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Harsh and unkind.  I am guessing that if some of these talented crew members had had the same academic and social opportunities that our children have that they might have ended up at Oxford.

18 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Neither harsh nor unkind.  If the room attendants have more financially lucrative opportunities at home, why wouldn't they take them?  A cruise is not a social justice encounter group.

People take jobs for all sorts of reasons:  maybe a lack of jobs at home, maybe a desire to travel, maybe a wish to get away from a toxic family, maybe it just seemed glamorous.  

18 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Maternity wards in particular have many people leaving gifts for the workers.  Same with pediatric units and long term care.  They don't turn them down.

One of my daughters is a nurse -- when she was new to the profession, she worked on the transplant floor in a hospital.  It wasn't exactly an everyday thing, but many people who stayed a while (and transplant people often do stay a while) sent a gift to the nurses afterward.  A platter of bagels or muffins was common, as was fresh fruit.  

14 hours ago, rudeney said:

Interesting.  Our public educators are prohibited from receiving gifts of any kind, unless they they are considered to be of "de minimis value".  Basically, a fruit basket or box of chocolates would be OK, a gift card would not.

I just retired after 30 years in the classroom.  Teachers are absolutely not allowed to accept gifts of any real value -- it looks too much like buying grades. Similarly, we are not allowed to tutor any current student for money; again, looks like buying grades or giving special treatment to one student.  Those are firing offenses.

I've literally never received a classroom gift at Christmas or end-of-the-year -- maybe that's an elementary thing.  The most common gift I've received over the last 10 years has been a $5-10 Starbucks gift card.  Other than that, I've occasionally received chocolate, colored pens, etc.  But they're not common -- I literally received zero gifts from students in my last semester; I didn't even think about it.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Please quote accurately: it lists 4 specific people and then " other Housekeeping Personnel".  Do you really expect them to list each one separately? As I said previously if you ask on board you will be given a list of how much the named/main people get, the balance being divided amongst the rest.

Edited by not-enough-cruising

A bounce-off question:  I've pre-paid my gratuities for my upcoming cruise, something I've always done because it just seems easier.  

However, for our next-next-cruise, I'm thinking we're going to have some significant OBC.  I might choose not to pre-pay so that I can use the OBC onboard.  HOW does one pay gratuities, if not done ahead of time?  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

My theory--auto-gratuities happened because:

1.  A lot of people don't tip, period.

2.  There are alternatives to the main dining room where one might ordinarily tip.

If you remove auto-gratuities, it probably doesn't look good for your dining room staff (if any) and stateroom stewards.

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

A bounce-off question:  I've pre-paid my gratuities for my upcoming cruise, something I've always done because it just seems easier.  

However, for our next-next-cruise, I'm thinking we're going to have some significant OBC.  I might choose not to pre-pay so that I can use the OBC onboard.  HOW does one pay gratuities, if not done ahead of time?  

Accumulates on a daily rate on your on board account.

37 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

It's simply charged day by day to your onboard account. Make sure you and your partner's accounts are linked and the amount will then be deducted day by day for each person. If it's only deducted against one name a quick visit to Guest Relations will resolve the issue.

31 minutes ago, mcmarya said:

My theory--auto-gratuities happened because:

1.  A lot of people don't tip, period.

2.  There are alternatives to the main dining room where one might ordinarily tip.

If you remove auto-gratuities, it probably doesn't look good for your dining room staff (if any) and stateroom stewards.

It was also difficult as Any Time Dining became increasingly popular as in theory you could end up with a different waiter/assistant waiter every night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've literally never received a classroom gift at Christmas or end-of-the-year -- maybe that's an elementary thing.  The most common gift I've received over the last 10 years has been a $5-10 Starbucks gift card.  Other than that, I've occasionally received chocolate, colored pens, etc.  But they're not common -- I literally received zero gifts from students in my last semester; I didn't even think about it.  

In my state, the teachers' code of conduct states this:

1. Shall not accept or offer gratuities, gifts or favors that impair or appear to influence professional judgment, decisions, or actions or to obtain special advantage. This section shall not restrict the acceptance of de minimis gifts or tokens offered and accepted openly from students, parents of students, or other persons or organizations in recognition or appreciation of service.

It would be difficult to demonstrate that a gift on behalf of the entire class would violate the first sentence.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, snaefell said:

When you say a relatively small amount per day when you are on a short cruise it obviously doesn't add up to a fortune but when the cruise is for 2 or 3 weeks or more it can seem like a lot of money.

And still, if you can afford a cruise of that length, you can afford the cost of gratuities. I look at it as the TOTAL cost of my vacation. 

• Like 2

Maybe a topic all of its own.

how much is an acceptable tip (in addition to the pre-paid gratuities)?

I know it’s subjective and it’s also relative to one’s one means… but is $10 (for a 7 night cruise) insulting?

I probably would not do auto gratuities any longer. I used to enjoy it because it made it easier, I didn’t have to hunt down people or carry envelopes to tip. But now it seems even though everyone is doing it they are still soliciting for extra envelopes, so it really doesn’t save much time. I’ll probably just do a cash tip again moving forward so I have something for them in hand 

Just now, zimmerman said:

Maybe a topic all of its own.

how much is an acceptable tip (in addition to the pre-paid gratuities)?

I know it’s subjective and it’s also relative to one’s one means… but is $10 (for a 7 night cruise) insulting?

Gratuities being prepaid means the tip is already accounted for so IMO any tip is above and beyond. We did $25 because we didn’t have any more cash than that (we assumed automatic gratuities meant that we didn’t need to worry about that). 

On 7/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, snaefell said:

When you say a relatively small amount per day when you are on a short cruise it obviously doesn't add up to a fortune but when the cruise is for 2 or 3 weeks or more it can seem like a lot of money.

How about 274 days😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2