Warning if your about to cruise on Coral.

23 minutes ago, ozygav said:

So if the numbers of infected on the ship rise close to the code Red level( which would not be a good look for the industry){but the press would love it}, would Princess move some of the recuperating crew off the ship into hotels for a few days, outbreak controlled? Rejoin at a nearby port in a couple of days. Or are they bound to keep the crew on board?

Unsure. If they need medical treatment, they would be looked after ashore. As they have no residence to go to, I am pretty sure they would be isolated on the ship vs a quarantine facility ashore - they would have already been disembarked at the end of the previous cruise if that was the chosen option. I am pretty sure they don't have to remain aboard, but can resume duties the same say they become negative if they are still on the ship.

Yes, code red would be a shocker, but tough to hit on a short cruise. If key personnel are infected, that can also trigger a code red based on being unable to provide critical services. The bridge team are very socially distant with the rest of the crew and passengers for that reason, but the ships' medical team is on the front line of it all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Much more likely to be unmasked people partying hard - shouting, laughing, etc which extends the transmission distance of exhaled particles - like the big group we saw one night in the Wheelhouse Bar.

7 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Phew I was thinking you were talking about our meet and greet fir a minute!!!!🥰

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

🤣🤣🤣 We didn't party that hard! 

7 hours ago, Cbtours said:

We did enjoy marks doggerel lol

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was great! 

We were fairly sensible and we only had a short meeting.

At least I didn’t sing it! 

There were months and months when singing in church was banned in NSW as it was classified as a high risk activity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

There were months and months when singing in church was banned in NSW as it was classified as a high risk activity. 

That’s true I forgot about that! Well that could be one excuse not to have sung it maybe 😇😇😇

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It looks like Coral has skipped Newcastle today.

At least that should give the passengers an extra day in Queensland. 😃

They took Newcastle off them a few weeks ago. This is the cruise that was split into 2 x shorter ones. The extra turnaround day in Brisbane wiped Newcastle off the southern part of the itinerary.

Good thing though. We don't want those petri dishes in Newcastle 😉😂

Edited by arxcards
too many days
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

Even this nutty Canadian gets that the Aussie mania is blowing it out of all proportion:

Yes, he has the right attitude. In NZ we're getting the Aussie-type mania reports, very upsetting for people who don't or can't do their own research from the different reports to make their own common sense judgments. Useful I guess for anyone whose health is particularly vulnerable though. We sail a week tomorrow so watching what happens in the next few days 🛳

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Any activity that causes people to expel more than a normal breath is risky, especially in crowded situations. That's what a lot of people don't realise. They think coughing or sneezing is the only risk but don't realise that shouting, laughing heavily, singing, even talking loudly, expels more breath than normal. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Any activity that causes people to expel more than a normal breath is risky, especially in crowded situations. That's what a lot of people don't realise. They think coughing or sneezing is the only risk but don't realise that shouting, laughing heavily, singing, even talking loudly, expels more breath than normal. 

That’s fair enough except churches like everywhere we’re very restricted in capacity so maybe 20 people allowed in a church that help 200 and very socially distanced unless they were from same family. Churches were amongst the last place to be allowed to operate. Online church became very much the norm! One of the benefits of covid I might add! Not only for churches but businesses found productive work still happens when work from home happened!

4 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

That’s fair enough except churches like everywhere we’re very restricted in capacity so maybe 20 people allowed in a church that help 200 and very socially distanced unless they were from same family. Churches were amongst the last place to be allowed to operate. Online church became very much the norm! One of the benefits of covid I might add! Not only for churches but businesses found productive work still happens when work from home happened!

I think the church situation was a knee-jerk reaction. A couple of large outbreaks in Sydney were traced to churches that weren't observing social distancing. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the church situation was a knee-jerk reaction. A couple of large outbreaks in Sydney were traced to churches that weren't observing social distancing. 

There was an enormous amount of knee jerking in Victoria!!!! Fir everything!!!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Yes but it was probably necessary to some degree at the time. No-one really knew how bad this virus could get. Even now it is still dangerous but vaccinations have reduced the severity of infections in most cases, and top quality masks are readily available for those who want extra protection. But there is still a high risk of our hospital systems becoming overwhelmed in the next couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, arxcards said:

Unsure. If they need medical treatment, they would be looked after ashore. As they have no residence to go to, I am pretty sure they would be isolated on the ship vs a quarantine facility ashore - they would have already been disembarked at the end of the previous cruise if that was the chosen option. I am pretty sure they don't have to remain aboard, but can resume duties the same say they become negative if they are still on the ship.

Yes, code red would be a shocker, but tough to hit on a short cruise. If key personnel are infected, that can also trigger a code red based on being unable to provide critical services. The bridge team are very socially distant with the rest of the crew and passengers for that reason, but the ships' medical team is on the front line of it all.

I reckon if Coral went to Code RED, the federal and state governments would order the ship out of Australian Waters...like 'Back to LA Harbour, Capitano !.'

19 hours ago, arxcards said:

Also the code amber was for the previous cruise, and this one wont be determined until the new infections/still infected are reported on Friday. Hopefully the numbers are lower.

Geoff someone on the roll call who tested positive the day after they disembarked said they were told by the cruiseline to report it to the their local state authority. If that is correct then Carnival Corp is not getting the right numbers, perhaps they don't really want to know the right numbers

3 hours ago, Cbtours said:

I think it is bizarre the Victorian Health Minister has disregarded the advice by it's Chief Health Officer - to wit...Rebirth of the Mask Mandate.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I reckon if Coral went to Code RED, the federal and state governments would order the ship out of Australian Waters...like 'Back to LA Harbour, Capitano !.'

No, but I think it will the ship will need to return to port and remain there until it is no longer red. Disembarking the passengers takes care of one part as soon as they have departed and the ship is hosed out. If it is related to crew numbers, then they would go through their isolation and testing until it is low enough to resume.

The most likely scenario to go into code red, is that there is insufficient crew (numbers or key roles affected) to maintain the safe operation of the ship, hotel or medical facilities. Red =  "There are a lot of cases on board (100 or more positive cases per 1,000 people) and/or the vessel is unable to maintain critical services due to staffing or resource shortages."

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Geoff someone on the roll call who tested positive the day after they disembarked said they were told by the cruiseline to report it to the their local state authority. If that is correct then Carnival Corp is not getting the right numbers, perhaps they don't really want to know the right numbers

Yes,

If you test positive after disembarking, you need to report your positive test, the same as catching it anywhere else. Your result is not linked to a location where you think you contracted the bug. As it is with the local pub, there is no contract tracing of your result.

Once disembarked, you are no longer at risk of passing it on to anyone aboard the ship, and the ship numbers are gathered purely to determine the risk of an outbreak on the ship. That is why the health authorities are only interested on those that have tested positive onboard.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It looks like Coral has skipped Newcastle today.

At least that should give the passengers an extra day in Queensland. 😃

The passengers shouldn't be too sad about not being in Newcastle today. The weather has been 99% miserable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I think it is bizarre the Victorian Health Minister has disregarded the advice by it's Chief Health Officer - to wit...Rebirth of the Mask Mandate.

Victorians go to the polls at the end of the year, and Chairman Andrews wants everyone to love him.  So beware Victorians being again locked down next year!!!!!!

• Thanks 1