Bourbon Selections on Three Cruises in 2022

bnurick

Wondering what is going on.  The last three cruises in Jan, Mar and Jun had Buffalo Trace and Maker’s Mark only, with one having another selection.  No Woodford Reserve, etc.  However, Disney Cruise Line has everything, down to rare Pappy Van Winkle.

I know there are a lot of questions about what is included in the beverage packages, but this has been my bourbon experience on Celebrity.  Our liquor stores are full of Woodford, etc. so it’s not a supply chain issue as it’s produced in the USA.

Any thoughts?

AC250E4A-D80D-43BE-9913-EDE7223DED70.jpeg

Edited by bnurick
  • Thanks 1

Since distillers have to sell to distributors on a state by state basis, just because you can get it locally, does not mean Celebrity's distributors can or will provide it to Celebrity. If they can't get it, they can't get it. I suspect the distributors greatly pulled back or elminiated their supply of premium liquors and wines during the shutdown since Celebrity didn't need it and haven't adjusted since. Then it flows the opposite direction upstream. The distributor doesn't need the product so the distiller pulls back the supply. 

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Since distillers have to sell to distributors on a state by state basis, just because you can get it locally, does not mean Celebrity's distributors can or will provide it to Celebrity. If they can't get it, they can't get it. I suspect the distributors greatly pulled back or elminiated their supply of premium liquors and wines during the shutdown since Celebrity didn't need it and haven't adjusted since. Then it flows the opposite direction upstream. The distributor doesn't need the product so the distiller pulls back the supply. 

Makes some sense, but on our last cruise I was told staff was going out and buying products like certain wines.  Guess I wonder why they wouldn’t buy something easy like Woodford Reserve.  Also, don’t know why Disney has everything stocked.  Thanks.  BN

If I recall correctly there was Woodford on my April Edge cruise.  But I'm more a wheated bourbon guy, so between the two I'll order the Makers 9 times out of 10.  In general over the last 2 years alcohol sales skyrocketed, while cruise lines cut their orders dramatically.  So it's also possible that liquor stores and large hotel chains moved above cruise lines in distributors' priority list.

I'm assuming Disney has stocks because they have deeper pockets and ordered bourbon even when they weren't sailing. Or they're able to divert product for export to their theme parks.

I just looked and for the first time in months our local Virginia ABC store shows good stocks of Woodford Reserve. It's been hit and miss for months. 

After the last big "where's the bourbon" discussion on the board, I did a little extra searching and the cruise lines are able to bypass the three-tier distribution model. They order direct from the maker (probably Brown-Forman for Woodford) and the product is delivered "for export", so they apparently don't have to go through a Florida distributor. That was a bit of a surprise, and I don't remember where I found the information, but it makes sense. Whether someone like Disney is able to float their order between domestic (using a distributor) and export (distributor not required) is an interesting question.

I have to assume most cruise lines dramatically reduced their orders while shut down and they're now competing with outlets who maintained demand. And for the rarer Buffalo Trace products like all the Van Winkles, you just keep buying because if you ever stop, you'll never get in line again.

• Thanks 1

So Bombay Sapphire and Guiness are not included in the classic package??? We have 2 Celebrity cruises booked and one is a 10 day to Hawaii with 5 sea days lol.  We have done mostly NCL in the last few years and I just assumed these would be included like NCL does. We leave in 2 weeks to Alaska on Eclipse and now I am a little sad. 

7 minutes ago, markeb said:

I'm assuming Disney has stocks because they have deeper pockets and ordered bourbon even when they weren't sailing. Or they're able to divert product for export to their theme parks.

I just looked and for the first time in months our local Virginia ABC store shows good stocks of Woodford Reserve. It's been hit and miss for months. 

After the last big "where's the bourbon" discussion on the board, I did a little extra searching and the cruise lines are able to bypass the three-tier distribution model. They order direct from the maker (probably Brown-Forman for Woodford) and the product is delivered "for export", so they apparently don't have to go through a Florida distributor. That was a bit of a surprise, and I don't remember where I found the information, but it makes sense. Whether someone like Disney is able to float their order between domestic (using a distributor) and export (distributor not required) is an interesting question.

I have to assume most cruise lines dramatically reduced their orders while shut down and they're now competing with outlets who maintained demand. And for the rarer Buffalo Trace products like all the Van Winkles, you just keep buying because if you ever stop, you'll never get in line again.

This makes sense to me. I read where Carnival has 3x the debt load than before the pandemic and there are pressures. Think RCL would be similar. Disney doesn’t have a single income stream model so likely kept buying and simply has a better financial position.  Appreciate your due diligence.

2 minutes ago, Jldevlin said:

So Bombay Sapphire and Guiness are not included in the classic package??? We have 2 Celebrity cruises booked and one is a 10 day to Hawaii with 5 sea days lol.  We have done mostly NCL in the last few years and I just assumed these would be included like NCL does. We leave in 2 weeks to Alaska on Eclipse and now I am a little sad. 

I found that online in a Google search so it could be stale. I would check the website to insure it’s the most up to date.

Edited by bnurick

37 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

If I recall correctly there was Woodford on my April Edge cruise.  But I'm more a wheated bourbon guy, so between the two I'll order the Makers 9 times out of 10.  In general over the last 2 years alcohol sales skyrocketed, while cruise lines cut their orders dramatically.  So it's also possible that liquor stores and large hotel chains moved above cruise lines in distributors' priority list.

Thanks. Our March Edge cruise didn’t have, but they did have for sale in Duty Free store ironically.

Our June cruise on Edge definitely had Woodford Reserve and Bulleit, I didn’t see Buffalo Trace or Maker’s Mark in the bars we went to.

Strangely, there was no alcohol at all for sale in the duty free store unless it was extremely well hidden, it seemed to be full of food items and souvenirs instead where I would have expected the booze to be.

Our January Apex and March Edge cruises had Woodford, at least in the Retreat Lounge and, in the Club as I recall. Macallan in the Club at times. Worst supplied lounge seemed to be the Magic Carpet. 

Be glad you aren’t on Royal where the selection has been very poor. No Woodford, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace and rarely Makers. If you like Jameson and JD you are all set. Of course, the store has it all:

mac_tlc

A8482862-28F6-4611-992F-924C78B19C38.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc

40 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Our January Apex and March Edge cruises had Woodford, at least in the Retreat Lounge and, in the Club as I recall. Macallan in the Club at times. Worst supplied lounge seemed to be the Magic Carpet. 

Be glad you aren’t on Royal where the selection has been very poor. No Woodford, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace and rarely Makers. If you like Jameson and JD you are all set. Of course, the store has it all:

mac_tlc

Pretty sure the duty free products belong to the duty free contractor, not Celebrity. Probably the same folks who run airport duty free. I've been on ships where they've had a decent match between duty free retail and bar inventory, but it's not the same source, and frequently different products.

We'll see what they have in the Retreat and the WCB in 3 weeks...

49 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

Celebrity and Royal contract their shops' inventory - both liquor and sundries - out to an independent vendor.   Whatever liquor you see in there is not Celebrity or RCL stock and the employees working there are not Celebrity or RCL employees, but work for the vendor. 

4 hours ago, bnurick said:

Thanks. Our March Edge cruise didn’t have, but they did have for sale in Duty Free store ironically.

Ugh, that's frustrating!  I was looking for the open hand smacking the forehead emoji but couldn't find it.  

7 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If they can't get it, they can't get it.

Or perhaps they don't want to get it. Selling beverage package upgrades and offering very little between $9 and $15 could prove very profitable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, P&M_Cruising said:

Our June cruise on Edge definitely had Woodford Reserve and Bulleit, I didn’t see Buffalo Trace or Maker’s Mark in the bars we went to.

Strangely, there was no alcohol at all for sale in the duty free store unless it was extremely well hidden, it seemed to be full of food items and souvenirs instead where I would have expected the booze to be.

On our Summit cruise the duty free was bare for bourbon.  March Edge cruise didn’t have Woodford.  Guess it’s a crap shoot.

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

No doubt!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Latest listing I have from Celebrity shows Bombay Sapphire (gin) and Guinness (stout) both available on the Premium drinks package.

👍 

2 hours ago, markeb said:

Pretty sure the duty free products belong to the duty free contractor, not Celebrity. Probably the same folks who run airport duty free. I've been on ships where they've had a decent match between duty free retail and bar inventory, but it's not the same source, and frequently different products.

Let us know!

2 hours ago, twoflyers said:

Celebrity and Royal contract their shops' inventory - both liquor and sundries - out to an independent vendor.   Whatever liquor you see in there is not Celebrity or RCL stock and the employees working there are not Celebrity or RCL employees, but work for the vendor. 

👍 

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

Ugh, that's frustrating!  I was looking for the open hand smacking the forehead emoji but couldn't find it.  

😂 

38 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

However will we survive? 😭

Just want what I paid for or a discount if they cannot provide what they list when they sell people a package.  Understanding of supply chain, but flexibility, understanding and adjustments should go both ways.

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Or perhaps they don't want to get it. Selling beverage package upgrades and offering very little between $9 and $15 could prove very profitable.

See above reply.  A discount would be appreciated and fair IMO.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Latest listing I have from Celebrity shows Bombay Sapphire (gin) and Guinness (stout) both available on the Premium drinks package.

Yes I see that ... really dont want to have to upgrade for a non premium spirit .... Top shelf whiskey I can understand but Bombay ???  

6 hours ago, twoflyers said:

I know that. My point is that it is available, so if RCI can’t/doesn’t get it then they should stop advertising it and charging for it, especially given the large increase in the beverage packages lately. Or let me buy it in the store and use it during the cruise . 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

Our March Edge had less than one bottle of Woodford, split across every bar on the boat, and I'm pretty sure I polished off the last of it.   (not counting the copious amounts in duty free, of course) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, markeb said:

I assure you that the people working in duty free are indeed celebrity employees. 

We have had a few cruises on X and have found that the bourbon selection is poor.

I am a fan of Buffalo Trace, which was available, but the only other premium choice was Woodford Double Oaked. 

Not a fan of JD or Beam.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D C said:

I assure you that the people working in duty free are indeed celebrity employees. 

None of the others are. Why are you sure they are? Even Cruise Critics articles refer to them as concessions.