bringing drinks on the ship at embarkation question

My husband and I are cruising on the Carnival Magic in August and I know it says you can bring "A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12-ounces/354-ml each or less, per person." 

I'm wondering if I can bring 2 of the small 6 packs of soda per person or if it has to be a 12 pack of one kind.

My husband will bring seltzers and I like to mix sprite in my sangria and have ginger ale if I feel sea sick so I wanted to bring 6 pack of the mini cans. If not ill just order some to my room.

thanks!

7 minutes ago, Juicermcurran said:

I'm wondering if I can bring 2 of the small 6 packs of soda per person or if it has to be a 12 pack of one kind.

Yes.  I brought on I think it was an 8 pack of the mini coke cans with no problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I know that it says unopened cartons but we've always opened them up because it's easier to pack the cans in the carryon. I can't see them objecting to anyone having different flavors.

It means the drinks themselves have to be sealed. You don't have to carry on a whole sealed carton of drinks. I often will bring on loose cans, since I don't drink much soda.

50 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I know that it says unopened cartons but we've always opened them up because it's easier to pack the cans in the carryon. I can't see them objecting to anyone having different flavors.

I don't see anything in the policy about "unopened cartons" ... It mentions unopened cans/cartons, which refers to the individual units, not the box that they are contained within.

image.thumb.png.054b18915769679f11eca4e166d91b50.png

15 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I don't see anything in the policy about "unopened cartons" ... It mentions unopened cans/cartons, which refers to the individual units, not the box that they are contained within.

image.thumb.png.054b18915769679f11eca4e166d91b50.png

Reading is fundamental

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

It means the drinks themselves have to be sealed. You don't have to carry on a whole sealed carton of drinks. I often will bring on loose cans, since I don't drink much soda.

Yes, I know, but there are many that would read it the other way. 

11 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

They really don't care if they are boxed, bagged, or stuffed into coat pockets.  They just care that it is under the limit of 12 per person.  Mix and match at will 🙂 

So family of 4 I can take 48 cans? 

Kids count?

No one will care.  I've taken a mix of soda flavors without problem and once 16 mini cans of Fever Tree tonic as well.  Just don't be surprised if they ask to see inside your bag although that has happened to me only once.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cableguynoe said:

So family of 4 I can take 48 cans? 

Kids count?

That is correct.  Non-alcoholic drinks are 12 per person and wine is 1 per adult over 21.  That's "AND" not "or" 🙂 

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was hoping this thread was about a new policy where Carnival was going to allow me to grab a Mai Tai during line-up for check-in to enjoy whilst waiting to board, and then take it on-board, and it would be part of the Cheers package too.

Dang.

😁

• Haha 5

On 7/12/2022 at 7:06 AM, sparks1093 said:

I believe Carnival is referring to the individual cartons or cans of beverages must be unopen, not the carton that holds the individual cans or cartons. 

49 minutes ago, SavTris said:

what if they happen to be the new Jack and Coke in a can? Will they ask to see inside my carryon?

Possibly -- it depends on the security folks who are checking your bags as to how thorough they are. Since beer also comes in 12oz cans, they have been known to inspect cans to ensure they comply with the beverage policy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I believe Carnival is referring to the individual cartons or cans of beverages must be unopen, not the carton that holds the individual cans or cartons. 

I agree, but as I pointed out there are some people that might read it as pertaining to the carton/case that holds the individual cans. In other words I was clarifying the point for others (clumsily I guess since a couple of people missed my point).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, knagl said:

Possibly -- it depends on the security folks who are checking your bags as to how thorough they are. Since beer also comes in 12oz cans, they have been known to inspect cans to ensure they comply with the beverage policy.

It's a small sample size but they've always looked at what we were bringing on in the carry-on. 

On 7/13/2022 at 5:47 AM, Schoifmom said:

That is correct.  Non-alcoholic drinks are 12 per person and wine is 1 per adult over 21.  That's "AND" not "or" 🙂 

Thanks, I should of been a little bit more clear on what I was referring to.

12 hours ago, john91498 said:

Thanks, I should of been a little bit more clear on what I was referring to.

That wasn't really directed at you.  It's just a very common question.  I think people get confused sometimes 😉