Help needed, is this a valid Certificate of Recovery?

klfhngr

I don't think it would because it is not the lab result but since you tested negative on 6/28 I would follow the regular procedure and test just before your cruise and show the negative lab test.

A certificate of recovery is proof of a positive result within 90 but not less than 10 days before your sailing. https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

This letter does not appear to satisfy that requirement because it doesn't show the type of test, date and time the sample was taken, etc. https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-faqs

Edited by mz-s

51 minutes ago, chrislo said:

I don't think it would because it is not the lab result but since you tested negative on 6/28 I would follow the regular procedure and test just before your cruise and show the negative lab test.

The whole reason for the CoR is sometimes you test a false positive, so you don't need to test. Worried that I might get a false positive.

Edited by klfhngr

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

A certificate of recovery is proof of a positive result within 90 but not less than 10 days before your sailing. https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

This letter does not appear to satisfy that requirement because it doesn't show the type of test, date and time the sample was taken, etc. https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-faqs

Odd, but I'm not seeing any of that in the FAQ section.

3 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

The whole reason for the CoR is sometimes you test a false positive, so you don't need to test. Worried that I might get a false positive.

The at home tests aren't as sensitive as the ones administered by a medical professional. I do not think that the letter would pass muster because the results need to be from a lab, not a provider. I had the documents ready for the CoR just in case but the at home test showed negative so there was no need to use it.

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Carnival. They said that as long as it showed my info., providers info., the Positive Date and the Negative Date, that this will work.

I then called Kaiser to see if this was their standard letter. They said yes, that this is what they send to all of their customers that want to fly/cruise, and that's it's accepted as CoR, they haven't had any problems.

I'm also thinking of taking the extra test kit that we got from our X cruise in May and taking it on Weds. Cruise is on Saturday (actually all of this info. is for my son).

2 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Carnival. They said that as long as it showed my info., providers info., the Positive Date and the Negative Date, that this will work.

I then called Kaiser to see if this was their standard letter. They said yes, that this is what they send to all of their customers that want to fly/cruise, and that's it's accepted as CoR, they haven't had any problems.

I'm also thinking of taking the extra test kit that we got from our X cruise in May and taking it on Weds. Cruise is on Saturday (actually all of this info. is for my son).

I would do this and have the test just sitting there.  Test and use the negative if it comes back that way and you always have your paperwork for 2nd option (would just be easier at the port to present a negative test I am sure).  Make sure if you want to test Wed he is vaxxed AND boosted if eligible, otherwise you have to do it 2 days before so would be Thurs.

11 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I would do this and have the test just sitting there.  Test and use the negative if it comes back that way and you always have your paperwork for 2nd option (would just be easier at the port to present a negative test I am sure).  Make sure if you want to test Wed he is vaxxed AND boosted if eligible, otherwise you have to do it 2 days before so would be Thurs.

Yup, I think that's the plan:

1. Do the free test first on Thurs., if negative

2. Then take the online test

3. On ship, use the CoR first to see if it would've worked, if not

4. Give them the passed test!

Thanks all!

5 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Yup, I think that's the plan:

1. Do the free test first on Thurs., if negative

2. Then take the online test

3. On ship, use the CoR first to see if it would've worked, if not

4. Give them the passed test!

Thanks all!

Ok, I could be wrong, but I think the last two are a bit backwards?

According to Carnival they say if you have tested positive in the last 3 months (and meet all the other requirements below) you don't have to have the test if you have the letter of recovery.  I think specifically to avoid making people pay for the testing when they do not have to because generally speaking you are not at risk of being a threat or getting it and passing it around for 90 days if you just had it and are recovered (which is why we are testing) . It doesn't say you HAVE to forgo the test either.   IF you take the test (since you have one) and it is negative and you meet all the other requirements (more than 10 days past, no symptoms, etc.), I would give them those results and call it a day (I am sure this would be way easier for you at embarkation) and it falls within the guidelines.  However, if you do the test and it is positive, then I would just take your letter of recovery with you and give them that.

From Carnival Site:

DOCUMENT OF RECOVERY

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce document of recovery from COVID-19. A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Ok, I could be wrong, but I think the last two are a bit backwards?

According to Carnival they say if you have tested positive in the last 3 months (and meet all the other requirements below) you don't have to have the test if you have the letter of recovery.  I think specifically to avoid making people pay for the testing when they do not have to because generally speaking you are not at risk of being a threat or getting it and passing it around for 90 days if you just had it and are recovered (which is why we are testing) . It doesn't say you HAVE to forgo the test either.   IF you take the test (since you have one) and it is negative and you meet all the other requirements (more than 10 days past, no symptoms, etc.), I would give them those results and call it a day (I am sure this would be way easier for you at embarkation) and it falls within the guidelines.  However, if you do the test and it is positive, then I would just take your letter of recovery with you and give them that.

From Carnival Site:

DOCUMENT OF RECOVERY

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce document of recovery from COVID-19. A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date).

Correct, if you test positive within 90 days but greater than 10 days before your cruise, you just show that positive test and you do not have to provide any further test.

It's sort of a waste of time to test again with a document of recovery.

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Correct, if you test positive within 90 days but greater than 10 days before your cruise, you just show that positive test and you do not have to provide any further test.

It's sort of a waste of time to test again with a document of recovery.

We just want to see if the CoR would've worked, that's all. We understand that all we need is the test. But the part that no one really knows is if that specific CoR would've worked. In order to find out, we'll do step 3 first, if they say not good enough, then we go to step 4. It's only a test to see if that letter would suffice.

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

From Carnival Site:

DOCUMENT OF RECOVERY

So the Document of Recovery is just proof from a lab of a positive test? Or do I need to go the doctor and say "I'm all better now-write me a note"? From the above, it sounds like just a positive test. (no less than 10days out, no more than 90)

54 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

So the Document of Recovery is just proof from a lab of a positive test? Or do I need to go the doctor and say "I'm all better now-write me a note"? From the above, it sounds like just a positive test. (no less than 10days out, no more than 90)

Shows no current symptoms, the last time you had covid and that you're now negative. Correct about the days.

57 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Shows no current symptoms, the last time you had covid and that you're now negative. Correct about the days.

So now I'm confused. If a test can detect a positive result for up to 90 days how am I going to get a negative test?

I tested positive on May 5th and am sailing July 30th. I counted it will have been 86 days since testing positive. If I read it and understand it correctly all I should need to show them is my paperwork from Walgreens showing I had a positive test. Nowhere does it say you need a confirmation of a negative test since it's been past 10 days of testing positive. They need some better wording because it is very confusing.

To the above 2 questions:

1. You can get a false positive, hence that's why they came up with the Certificate/Proof of Recovery. That form waives you from having to test.

2. Per what I'm reading, the letter has to show the dates as to when you tested POSITIVE and then the test after that states you were NEGATIVE. Also has to have Dr./Lab info., per my call with CCL today. T

They stated that what I have 'should' suffice! That makes me nervous! My son sails this Saturday!

"A laboratory test record, digital certificate and healthcare record that show first and last name, date of birth, type of test (NAAT or antigen), date and time the sample was taken, test result as either “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED,” laboratory/testing site or healthcare provider details."

We were in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago.  We used the Abbott Binax Now proctored tests and everyone tested negative, so there was no need to use the DOR.  This allowed all of us to be cleared by Verifly, which speeds up check in process.  You can't be cleared on Verifly with a DOR.

If you want to use the DOR to see how it works even if everyone tests negative, your check in may be delayed since you will likely be sent to a different line and asked more questions.  If you are not in a hurry to board, then that probably isn't an issue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mz-s said:

It also shows, what I presume, is a more recent negative result. Seems that might trump an older positive result, but I really don't know.   I assume that is what that med faculty meant by "not detected".   Or is that their way of saying it was an invalid test.   

7 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

We were in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago.  We used the Abbott Binax Now proctored tests and everyone tested negative, so there was no need to use the DOR.  This allowed all of us to be cleared by Verifly, which speeds up check in process.  You can't be cleared on Verifly with a DOR.

If you want to use the DOR to see how it works even if everyone tests negative, your check in may be delayed since you will likely be sent to a different line and asked more questions.  If you are not in a hurry to board, then that probably isn't an issue.

I was going to point this out, the process (as I understand it) is if a passenger presents a DOR then they have to meet with the medical staff in the terminal to answer some questions. From what I've read this is very fast, but even with very fast if a lot of passengers are waiting then it can take some time.

@klfhngrHow about doing this: present the negative test to board. Then once on the ship, at your leisure, go to medical and present your letter and ask them if it would have worked at embarkation. I would think that the nurse would be a good source for the info you are seeking.

13 hours ago, jeb2791 said:

Can you print your test result from KP.org???  Three weeks ago, I only showed the printed lab report I got from Wal-greens.  Carnival employee did not bat an eye.   

Unfortunately they sent the letter, not available on KP.org.

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I was going to point this out, the process (as I understand it) is if a passenger presents a DOR then they have to meet with the medical staff in the terminal to answer some questions. From what I've read this is very fast, but even with very fast if a lot of passengers are waiting then it can take some time.

@klfhngrHow about doing this: present the negative test to board. Then once on the ship, at your leisure, go to medical and present your letter and ask them if it would have worked at embarkation. I would think that the nurse would be a good source for the info you are seeking.

Great idea, I will let my son know!

• Like 1