Positive Experience with RapidTestAndTrace

We used Rapid Test and Trace for the first time this past weekend. We also didn't have any problems except for some reason when Mike made the first appointment it came up under Brasilia Time (BRT) on his iPad. We think it did this because he was in Brazil the day before, but not sure why the iPad didn't go to our local time. We will use the emed and government test we have depending on which expires first.

4 minutes ago, kelbell said:

Do you download anything before hand or just log into Rapid site?

Sorry for questions we have not started back cruising again and

I'm still nervous about getting it right.

This info was in my original post...

Prior to the appointment, they sent numerous reminders via e-mail and text with a link to the Microsoft Teams meeting. You don't have to download Teams if you don't want to though, simply click on "open in browser" after clicking the provided link.

This wasn't meant to be snarky, btw. I obviously shared my experience b/c I want to help people, especially those who are nervous and have not cruised since the pandemic began.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

For anyone interested/concerned, as expected, no issues whatsoever at the port. They only look for name, DOB, & “negative.”

Got to PC around 10am with a 10:30 check-in time & sitting in the terminal in less than 15 minutes.

• Like 5

Thank you for the detailed post about your experience with Rapid Test and Trace.  We don't sail until September but I've been nearly overwhelmed by the various options for testing.  Before things changed the first of July, we were all set to just schedule at Walgreens and be done!  But I'd rather save my $$ to spend on something fun on the cruise if I can get the Covid testing for free or minimal cost.  We have a couple of NOMI sites in our city, but I want to have some back-up options as well.  (And for the previous poster who was concerned about the gov't tests not being sufficient for RTT, I had the same hesitation when I first read the package labeling!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 7:23 AM, OCSC Mike said:

We used free iHealth rapid antigen tests provided by the government (from our stockpile) but they will let you use any FDA approved test.

I noticed that my iHealth tests have will expire this month, before I need to test. I saw somethings online about how the FDA extended there expiration date and found the release. Have you had any experience with that? Any issue when testing?

48 minutes ago, reefgeek83 said:

I noticed that my iHealth tests have will expire this month, before I need to test. I saw somethings online about how the FDA extended there expiration date and found the release. Have you had any experience with that? Any issue when testing?

I would assume they go by the FDA's revised expiration dates (go to page two for the iHealth test):

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests

58 minutes ago, reefgeek83 said:

Ours were expired based on the date in the box but not when the 3 months were added. No issues.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 9:23 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Just wanted to share my experience. I'm not trying to convince anyone to use this service. Everyone should use whatever testing method they feel comfortable with.

Thanks Mike. Based on your post I scheduled an online proctored test with Rapid Test & Trace. It did not go as smoothly as your experience but I would use them again.

Not tech savvy and never having used Zoom or other online video meetings, I had concerns about the video feed and connecting.

I received multiple emails once I scheduled the appointment. Some of them included the link to the Microsoft Teams meeting for my appointment date. The last email was sent 30 minutes prior to my appointment and it included the link to the meeting, which is the link I used. As you wrote, I only had to use the link for the video to connect. I did type my name in the box on the screen once the video connection was made.

I was 5 minutes early to my meeting, allowing time for any miscues on my part. When no one appeared on my laptop, I called the 800 number provided in correspondence, 2 minutes after my scheduled appointment time thinking I had done something wrong. I was told the proctor could be up to 20 minutes late and call back then if needed.

I had to call back 20 minutes later as the only person on my laptop screen was me. The rep took information from me and said to continue waiting for the proctor, assuring me I had done nothing wrong.

30 minutes after my appointment, the video stopped with an apology for no one appearing. I followed the prompt on the screen to reconnect and continued waiting. 8 minutes later a different proctor appeared, no explanation was given as to why the proctor I was scheduled with did not connect with me.

From there on all went well and I had the results in a pdf sent via email. I verified all was accurate before ending the connection. 

Despite the 38 minute delay, I was satisfied with the process.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Thanks Mike. Based on your post I scheduled an online proctored test with Rapid Test & Trace. It did not go as smoothly as your experience but I would use them again.

You're welcome although I feel bad you had to deal with all that.

Sounds like your particular proctor didn't "show up for work" and didn't bother notifying whomever they should have. (Actually, I shouldn't jump to blame them, I suppose, could have been an emergency of some sort.)

Glad you were able to contact them so quickly and easily at least and it all worked out. As I think I mentioned, it was their customer service that led me to pay a few extra bucks for them over OnPoint.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by OCSC Mike

After reading multiple threads concerning online proctored covid testing, I contacted our health care provider and they will cover 100% of any covid testing.  No matter the type or reason for the test. We even get to go to our GP for the testing. Appointment(s) already scheduled.