Refilling Waterbottles

People, PLEASE, catch up with the times.  You CANNOT refill your water container at ANY dispenser.  There are signs posted.  If it touched your hands and lips, you can't do it.

It's like COVID rule #2 after not coughing or sneezing in someone's face.  Fill it in your cabin in your sink; it's all the same water from the same source.

• Like 4

On 7/13/2022 at 11:55 PM, tumbley said:

Not a must to use ship cup for water from freestyle machine - water works without the chip.

Last week on Mariner. You could get ice but not water with a personal cup when using the freestyle machine.

On Explorer last week, the staff manning the beverage station in Windjammer would fill your water bottles with ice and water for you. They had to be the type of bottle where you could remove the top. 

Most of the time I filled two cups with ice and two with water to fill my bottle. 

I was also chastised by a crew member for filling my water bottle with ice at the free style machine because I did not have a beverage package.

1 hour ago, lax19 said:

On Explorer last week, the staff manning the beverage station in Windjammer would fill your water bottles with ice and water for you. They had to be the type of bottle where you could remove the top. 

Most of the time I filled two cups with ice and two with water to fill my bottle. 

I was also chastised by a crew member for filling my water bottle with ice at the free style machine because I did not have a beverage package.

Specifically because you didn't have a beverage package? Not because you were putting a reusable bottle on there?

On Allure, we filled up our ice from the Freestyle machine at least 4 times and none of the staff said anything to us. We were using a plastic baggie (for our Pur pitcher I mentioned earlier in the thread). Maybe we were just sneakier, LOL...

We couldn't find ice anywhere else. Where are we expected to get ice if we want it, if not from the Freestyle machine? Should we bother a bartender instead?

On 7/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, jbrinkm said:

We ended up packing and using a Pur filter pitcher in our room to provide all of the water we wanted to drink, and it was a great decision for our family to have with our reusable bottles (and yes, we flew in!). The pitcher is really lightweight and doesn't take up a lot of room if you fill it up with clothes - also clothing protects/insulates it in the suitcase! We'd grab some ice from somewhere on our way back to the room at night and throw it in the top while filtering to create cold water for the evening and first thing in the morning, and then also fill up our bottles to put in the fridge when we weren't using them. For a family that drinks a lot of water, I would highly recommend!

I don’t think your Pur filter will get the ships water any more purified. @chengkp75would probably know.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 11:23 PM, pcur said:

Fill it in your cabin in your sink; it's all the same water from the same source.

Or, as was recommended early in the thread, use a clean cup and transfer it to your reusable cup. 

On 7/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, jbrinkm said:

We ended up packing and using a Pur filter pitcher in our room to provide all of the water we wanted to drink, and it was a great decision for our family to have with our reusable bottles (and yes, we flew in!). The pitcher is really lightweight and doesn't take up a lot of room if you fill it up with clothes - also clothing protects/insulates it in the suitcase! We'd grab some ice from somewhere on our way back to the room at night and throw it in the top while filtering to create cold water for the evening and first thing in the morning, and then also fill up our bottles to put in the fridge when we weren't using them. For a family that drinks a lot of water, I would highly recommend!

I think you wasted your filter, there isn’t anything the Pur filter can remove that hasn’t already been filtered out. 

• Like 1

Good luck finding a freestyle machine that actually has ice. It’s a 50/50 shot most of the time. 
The one on the Enchantment had the water option enabled. The ones on Allure in the promenade, at least, did not.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:02 PM, long4acruise said:

Yes, but as mentioned in another recent thread: please refill personal water bottles by pouring water/beverage in a clean glass and then pour it in the water bottle. 

I never do, too much hassle....plus did the poster actually ask for instructions?  You do know most fountains for water, you don't need to actually touch anything?  Also, you know, a bartender is going to just fill it with their gun?  And what about all those refillable soda cups?  People have to put it in to refill those also.  

On 7/13/2022 at 11:55 PM, tumbley said:

Not a must to use ship cup for water from freestyle machine - water works without the chip.

It has been our experience, post restart, that the water dispenser isn’t working without a chip cup. I assumed it was to limit the number of people using the machine, as well as forcing a specific cup at a specific distance from the dispenser. 

12 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Specifically because you didn't have a beverage package? Not because you were putting a reusable bottle on there?

On Allure, we filled up our ice from the Freestyle machine at least 4 times and none of the staff said anything to us. We were using a plastic baggie (for our Pur pitcher I mentioned earlier in the thread). Maybe we were just sneakier, LOL...

We couldn't find ice anywhere else. Where are we expected to get ice if we want it, if not from the Freestyle machine? Should we bother a bartender instead?

Do the cabin stews not bring ice to your room on RC?  Last cruise we were on was a Carnival in 2013 and they kept us in ice!  Once on another cruise we packed a collapsable little cooler for water bottles and can drinks we brought on, they even kept it iced down for us!  

32 minutes ago, futureAG said:

Do the cabin stews not bring ice to your room on RC?  Last cruise we were on was a Carnival in 2013 and they kept us in ice!  Once on another cruise we packed a collapsable little cooler for water bottles and can drinks we brought on, they even kept it iced down for us!  

They will if you ask them to.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, futureAG said:

Only if you request it. Rooms do not have ice bucket in them to start the cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

They will if you ask them to.

Good to know for our next cruise! Although our cabin steward seemed run a little ragged this past time.

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I think you wasted your filter, there isn’t anything the Pur filter can remove that hasn’t already been filtered out. 

I don't like to drink chlorine (both taste and for a medical issue) so not wasted.

10 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This depends.  Has the ship taken water in port?  If so, it is municipal tap water, and not further "filtered" by the ship.  However, the Pur water filter, nor any consumer water filter will remove the calcium carbonate that is added to the water produced onboard.  The ship has filters at water usage points (water dispensers, water fountains, ice makers) that will filter out the calcium and chlorine to prevent scaling of the equipment.

59 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I don't like to drink chlorine (both taste and for a medical issue) so not wasted.

This is accurate, but can be accomplished without the use of a filter, simply by filling a pitcher with water and leaving it on the counter or in the fridge for several hours, and the chlorine will dissipate naturally.

• Like 3

Filling water bottles with water has been addressed, however what about filling a Yeti cup with hot coffee or tea?  Pouring hot coffee into an insulated Yeti cup from a clean cup can sometimes be a little messy and potentially dangerous.  Using a clean disposable cup might make pouring easier, however those become very hot on the fingers.  We love our coffee and tea very hot that only a well insulated cup can assure.  Any suggestions/recommendations?

2 hours ago, kjc852 said:

Filling water bottles with water has been addressed, however what about filling a Yeti cup with hot coffee or tea?  Pouring hot coffee into an insulated Yeti cup from a clean cup can sometimes be a little messy and potentially dangerous.  Using a clean disposable cup might make pouring easier, however those become very hot on the fingers.  We love our coffee and tea very hot that only a well insulated cup can assure.  Any suggestions/recommendations?

If it's a container that has a removable lid, where the lid is what touches your lips, you should be fine filling with a hot beverage.  But if it's a Thermos type container where the lid completely seals the container, so you have to remove the lid and drink directly from the container's lip, then that would be a problem for direct filling.  

What they don't want is anything that your mouth has touched being anywhere near the area where other containers might touch. 

That's why when you take the Royal branded drink cup to a bar for a soda refill, they ask you to remove the lid and keep that with you, and they just fill the bottom portion.  Same with if you're using the Coke Freestyle machines -- you remove the lid before putting the cup in the machine.  The part that your mouth goes onto isn't anywhere near the filling spigot. 

On 7/19/2022 at 8:09 PM, jbrinkm said:

I was told that I could not use the freestyle machine because I did not have a beverage package.

There were Ice machines in the Windjammer, but outside of Windjammer hours, any bartender will give you a cup of ice.  Our room steward also kept our ice bucket filled.