New Canada Mandatory "Random" Testing Means??

TLCOhio

Last month, after Canada dropped its mandatory Covid testing when entering their territory, we booked a Tauck tour of the Eastern Maritime Provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Cape Briton Island, etc.  Excited for our first visit to these scenic, historic and charming areas.  

BUT, this past week Canada has just reversed course, somewhat, and is now saying that there will be mandatory "random" Covid testing of fully-vaccinated visitors when landing at their four major airports.  We are fully covered with the four different shots.  How good or bad will your "random" chances be for such required, off-site airport testing?  In flying on Air Canada from Columbus, we will land in Toronto and then go to Halifax on a separate flight.  According to the news reports, if picked randomly, we will not need to be tested till reaching Halifax.  But, this new government policy change has us confused and adds to the risks for a disrupted adventure plan.  Any suggestions, clarifications or insights?  

Also, are these Eastern Maritime areas as super wonderful as we have been told?  Any special tips for there as "must-do's" and "don't miss"?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over this. Remember that this is RANDOM testing; so you may not have to deal with it at all. If you are selected, then you go to a designated provider and get the test done as directed. This article (and it's links) may provide more information:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/how-will-random-testing-work-airport-arrivals-1.6521504

You don't mention when you will be in the Maritimes,  or if this is a land tour or cruise. One would assume that Tauck,  being Tauck, would include  the Must dos and Must sees. Perhaps check the tourism websites for each province.

You might want to take a look at this thread which was right below yours. It has as much information as is currently known. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2866155-canada-bringing-back-mandatory-random-testing-of-travelers-arriving-at-main-airports-starting-july-19th-2022

Random testing on arrival has been in place since travel resumed; it is different from the required PCR test before departure that you are referring to. (It was suspended from some time in June to this newly reinstated date of July 19) in order to figure out how to move it out of the airports. 

The selection is supposed to be random and done by the ArriveCAN system. 

Edited by gnome12

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Also, are these Eastern Maritime areas as super wonderful as we have been told?  Any special tips for there as "must-do's" and "don't miss"?

Depends what you were told  😉

I would check  the ports of call forum for Canada

This news release from the Public Health Agency of Canada provides published two days ago provides a good overview of the process, although there are a few details they seem to have overlooked. For example, they indicate that passengers selected for random testing will be notified by email, but are silent on the issue of travellers without a cell phone or who choose not to turn it on because of roaming fees.  https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/07/government-of-canada-is-re-establishing-mandatory-random-testing-offsite-of-airports-for-air-travellers.html

I lived in Halifax for many years and have travelled throughout the Maritimes for both work and pleasure. Although living in Ottawa now, we still visit every couple of years, and yes, they are at least as wonderful as you've been told. I've looked at the itinerary for Tauck's 11-day Canadian Maritimes Land Journey, and if that's the one you will be taking, you'll hit many of the "must see" attractions. There are a few things that I'd change, but that's probably more a question of personal tastes, or the fact that I've seen some things so often that they've slipped down my list of places to visit when we head Down East.

• Like 1

If you are vaccinated I don’t see how being selected for a random test would disrupt you at all, unless you are positive.  If you were positive, wouldn’t you want to know so you didn’t continue unaware and spread? I hope not.

anyway, depends on your stops for must see.  If you stop in Halifax, and any other tall ships are in doing tours, a harbour cruise on a sailing vessel is amazing. Or a day trip out to Peggy’s cove especially if it’s a bit stormy. 

if you stop in Sydney, fortresse louisbourg is one of the best historical sites in Canada.

It all depends on what interests the OP has.  I lived in NB for 2 years and have been to almost all of the Maritime provinces.  NL is that last elusive province we just can't get around to getting to.  Anyway, our interests are food an drink and there are a lot of fabulous places to visit.  One place that sadly did not make the Covid cut was the Nova Scotia Chrystal works.  We have many beautiful pieces.  Maybe one day someone will refire the kilns.  

So @TLCOhio, what do you like doing or seeing?

The Maritime provinces have alot in beauty, history, interesting sites and calm. The people are very friendly and helpful.  Nova Scotia’s Annapolis Valley, near the Bay of Fundy is really pretty and more so in the Fall.  There are the usual tourist sites like Peggy’s Cove and Sydney. Prince Edward Island has very pretty beaches, and is small enough to drive around in a day. New Brunswick has the Reversing Falls, and a big candy production in St. Stephan’s.  You won’t be bored no matter where you go. 

23 minutes ago, Magicat said:

It all depends on what interests the OP has.  I lived in NB for 2 years and have been to almost all of the Maritime provinces.  NL is that last elusive province we just can't get around to getting to.  Anyway, our interests are food an drink and there are a lot of fabulous places to visit.  One place that sadly did not make the Covid cut was the Nova Scotia Chrystal works.  We have many beautiful pieces.  Maybe one day someone will refire the kilns.  

So @TLCOhio, what do you like doing or seeing?

Forego a cruise and head to NL instead. We've both flown in and rented a car for a couple of weeks and we've driven from Ottawa and taken the ferry from Sydney to Port aux Basques. Our travel plans for this and next year are set, but we are thinking of another visit sometime soon.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 2:04 PM, TLCOhio said:

Your tour looks pretty good.  You do hit a lot of the highlights of the areas. You don't get the whole Cabot Trail but you do get to see some of the best parts (although my favourite part of the island is the west side).  Sadly you won't get to the Fortress of Louisbourg but I guess you can't do it all. 

Keltic Lodge is a historic place.  You might even be served by my nephew who is working there this summer.  If you are a golfer, you should book a time at the golf course, Highland Links. 
Hopewell Rocks is incredible.  Love the Gaelic College.  You are staying right in the main area of Halifax so there is lots of shopping within walking distance.  
I once worked at the Delta Prince Edward many many years ago cleaning rooms. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, 1kaper said:

Your tour looks pretty good.  You do hit a lot of the highlights of the areas. You don't get the whole Cabot Trail but you do get to see some of the best parts (although my favourite part of the island is the west side).  Sadly you won't get to the Fortress of Louisbourg but I guess you can't do it all.   Keltic Lodge is a historic place.  You might even be served by my nephew who is working there this summer. Hopewell Rocks is incredible.  Love the Gaelic College.  You are staying right in the main area of Halifax so there is lots of shopping within walking distance.  I once worked at the Delta Prince Edward many many years ago cleaning rooms. 

Appreciate ALL of these great comments and follow-ups.  For 1kaper, what's your nephew's name?  I can ask for him during the three days we will be at Keltic Lodge.  Great tips and specifics. Keep it coming!!  Very helpful.  

Any new updates as to how the "random" testing is going these days at the major Canada airports?  Added tips and insights for the Canadian Maritime Provinces?

Excellent comment from LadySail2 about "You won’t be bored no matter where you go."

As to the good question from Magicat, my interests are history, architecture, great food (especially seafood), photography, interesting people, etc.  Sounds like we will have much to experience and enjoy, right?  Any special visuals to be sure to capture with my camera?

Saw earlier this year the "Come From Away" Broadway-show performance. This ‘9/11 musical’ was super excellent and very moving.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,769 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

6 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Any new updates as to how the "random" testing is going these days at the major Canada airports?  Added tips and insights for the Canadian Maritime Provinces?

Sounds like the random testing are doing what they are intended to do.  Act as an early warning for new variants entering the country from other parts of the world.  The specific results of an individual are not that important, they looking for trends that would justify tightening or loosening controls. 

Moving them off-site from the airport was an attempt to speed up the entry process. Connecting passengers don't get tested at the entry point into Canada but at their final destination.

• Like 2