Travel insurance question ??

Lojay2

We are planning a South America cruise in April.

I am planning on buying refundable airline tickets (because I am using points from my credit card), I understand that I do not have to show this value when I valuate the trip since the tickets are refundable, here is my question....

If I do not list the trip in the insurance information and I get delayed or cancelled on my return flight, does the travel insurance kick in (Allianz upgraded plan with Covid protection) to get me home or are they just going to cover the cruise cost? We are planning on staying three days after the cruise and then fly home. 

I have priced out the insurance both ways (cruise cost only and with cruise/air) and their is a significant difference.  I have not yet called insurance company because I would like to hear from people in the know on these boards 

Please help clarify my confusion   

You should check with the insurance co.   I believe I read on the Chase Sapphire Reserve you have to charge the taxes for the award ticket to the card to get the flights covered.   So possibly you just have to include the taxes on your policy.

We never include the dollar value of flights booked using points.  In fact we have never had to provide the various non-refundable components when purchasing travel insurance...we just provide the total non-refundable cost to the insurance company or broker.

If your return flight is delayed or cancelled the airline will still get you home.  With the cruise behind you any insurance coverage not used can go toward booking with a different airline if necessary.  Other travel insurance provisions such as trip interruption or trip delay will cover you for homeward bound travel issues. 

• Like 1

Can anyone help with this question? What insurance would be good to cover you if you get to the port and do a covid test there and it is positive.  We are arriving in Barcelona  on the 3rd and the ship pulls out on the 6th.  We have to fly out from the US on the 2nd so we will have to have a Covid test in Barcelona because Princess says it has to be 3 days or less from embarkation  We are doing a cruise that is 26 nights and ends in Ft. Lauderdale.  Im not sure that Princess Insurance will cover us with airfare getting home from Barcelona if we have Covid.  Can anyone suggest a travel insurance company that would cover this airfare and quarantine stay if we turned up having it in Barcelona?.

6 minutes ago, smitty3000 said:

Can anyone help with this question? What insurance would be good to cover you if you get to the port and do a covid test there and it is positive.  We are arriving in Barcelona  on the 3rd and the ship pulls out on the 6th.  We have to fly out from the US on the 2nd so we will have to have a Covid test in Barcelona because Princess says it has to be 3 days or less from embarkation  We are doing a cruise that is 26 nights and ends in Ft. Lauderdale.  Im not sure that Princess Insurance will cover us with airfare getting home from Barcelona if we have Covid.  Can anyone suggest a travel insurance company that would cover this airfare and quarantine stay if we turned up having it in Barcelona?.

s3 - you may want to take a look at the insurance forum here on CC...

You are sure to find answers there...

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, smitty3000 said:

My IMG insurance would cover that scenario. I would suggest  you look at the insurance discussion board for more info. 

Welcome as a new poster to Cruise Critic.  As Bo said, you are asking at the wrong forum.  There is an entire forum for travel insurance questions.  I personally would call Steve at the Travel Insurance Store.  That is all he does.  There are hundreds of companies that write travel insurance and thousands of different policies. 

19 hours ago, Lojay2 said:

We are planning a South America cruise in April.

I am planning on buying refundable airline tickets (because I am using points from my credit card), I understand that I do not have to show this value when I valuate the trip since the tickets are refundable, here is my question....

If I do not list the trip in the insurance information and I get delayed or cancelled on my return flight, does the travel insurance kick in (Allianz upgraded plan with Covid protection) to get me home or are they just going to cover the cruise cost? We are planning on staying three days after the cruise and then fly home. 

I have priced out the insurance both ways (cruise cost only and with cruise/air) and their is a significant difference.  I have not yet called insurance company because I would like to hear from people in the know on these boards 

Please help clarify my confusion   

As with all insurance decare everything as otherwise, in the event of a claim,  you are leaving loopholes that the insurance company can/will exploit.