Logistics of a DIY BLT on a ship

shipgeeks

At home, we never seem to have bacon, lettuce, and good tomatoes at the same time.

A while ago, there was a mention of saving buffet bacon from breakfast, to make a BLT at lunchtime.  Have you ever done this?  What was your process?

Or....should I just make myself a Breakfast BLT?  Bacon, toast: check.  Lettuce, tomatoes: maybe, at the Continental breakfast area.  Mayo: maybe, in a jumbo dispenser, next to the jumbo ketchup dispenser for scrambled eggs (I don't get that, but that's another subject for discussion).

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

At home, we never seem to have bacon, lettuce, and good tomatoes at the same time.

Often, having all of the ingredients I need to make a particular item at the same time is rare.  I have to plan and buy and store those items until the urge returns to prepare that dish.  (I have already purchased a can of sauerkraut for my New Year's Day Pork and Sauerkraut dinner on 1/1/23.  It was on sale.)

It would be nearly impossible to make a fresh BLT as a lunch item on a cruise ship, I think.  Toast from breakfast?  Dried out.  Bacon?  Cold, but, that's OK.  Lettuce and Tomatoes?  Would be available during lunch hours as would Mayo.  A non-toasted BLT could be made with fresh bread at lunch time and Bacon stored in a zip-lock bag until ready to be used, I think.  

Maybe a better idea?  If the ship has a sandwich station, present the challenge to the cook in charge and see what he/she is able to prepare.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update: I did successfully make a BLT - at breakfast - one time, and another time semi-successfully. I looked around the buffet before beginning, and all ingredients were there: freshly toasted bread, hot bacon, lettuce (shredded) and tomatoes at the Continental area, and mayo in a big dispenser.  It was good.

The second time, I did the same, but could not find any lettuce.  I made the sandwich anyway.  When I got to my table, a nice waiter asked if he could get me anything else.  (Juice? Coffee?) I said "If you could find some lettuce that would be great".  He took off, into the kitchen.  When he came back, he said "No lettuce, but for something green they offered cabbage or cole slaw".  I declined.  Not a bad sandwich anyway; the elements I had were all good.

I will probably to it again in the future.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Update: I did successfully make a BLT - at breakfast - one time, and another time semi-successfully. I looked around the buffet before beginning, and all ingredients were there: freshly toasted bread, hot bacon, lettuce (shredded) and tomatoes at the Continental area, and mayo in a big dispenser.  It was good.

The second time, I did the same, but could not find any lettuce.  I made the sandwich anyway.  When I got to my table, a nice waiter asked if he could get me anything else.  (Juice? Coffee?) I said "If you could find some lettuce that would be great".  He took off, into the kitchen.  When he came back, he said "No lettuce, but for something green they offered cabbage or cole slaw".  I declined.  Not a bad sandwich anyway; the elements I had were all good.

I will probably to it again in the future.

Maybe we should set up a contest to see who can build a BLT?  LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Some old habits are hard to break.😇

We use Kaiser Rolls.....seeded or not slightly toasted.

More room....bread out inside...More room for Bacon,  Iceberg and a Uniform slice of Beef Steak Tomato...And U Have To Use Hellmann's.....NO OTHER....

10 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We use Kaiser Rolls.....seeded or not slightly toasted.

More room....bread out inside...More room for Bacon,  Iceberg and a Uniform slice of Beef Steak Tomato...And U Have To Use Hellmann's.....NO OTHER....

Well…if I’m going to build a big fat cheese burger with all the trimmings…lettuce, tomatoes, onion and bacon, I’d definitely have a fresh fluffy onion roll grilled in butter.  Although the grilled Kaiser roll would definitely be an option.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

If not white, then what?

I am not a white bread eater........it can be toasted on whole wheat, rye, multi grain, pumpernickel, etc...etc.......etc...a textured bread that is something other than white.

To be honest, I have not eaten white bread in probably over 30 years.......it has been so long I cannot remember really.........probably longer than 30.

Lois, I have to agree on the white bread idea.  Except for BLTs, I guess!  Maybe because after several decades of not even considering a BLT, when I have one now it is a revisit to my childhood.

The restaurant where we stopped on the return from our last cruise served them on brioche bread.

• Like 1